Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Should they bring back Reformation Island?

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Maybe it would need a new name, but do you think it would be a good idea to bring back Themyscira having it's own prison? If so what do you think it should be like? Should it still be limited to holding women? With the addition of the "Manazons" I'd think not. Should it still have as much emphasis on rehabilitation as it did before?

Personally I'd think it would be cool if the Amazons ran DC's official prison for all the mystical/mythical criminals, and monsters. As the guardians of Doom's Doorway I think they might be just the ones to handle something like that.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the Batwoman arc that featured Wonder Woman holds any weight, the Amazons already have one. They hold creatures deemed more dangerous than Wonder Woman in an unnamed labyrinth where Medusa used to be incarcerated. I'm not sure where this prison is located and I think it's fairly safe to say that the Amazons don't have any rehabilitation programs.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

No to a return of Reformation Island as it once was.

Because, very much like killing adversaries, Reformation Island removes the villain more or less permanently from the world. And that means the island will only ever be used on 'expendable characters' thats been created with the destination in mind, and if more worthwhile enemies are incarcerated... they will just escape like they do with any jail.

That said, RI could be used as a new path for the Amazons (once the Finch's leave) as the replacement for their baby raids to keep up their numbers. Imagine this, the Amazons eventually agree that the raids are no longer feastable with the advancements of modern technology and Diana exposing the Amazons existence. Instead they will offer a place to those women who are willing to be one of them, live on the island and follow their ways. To make sure they don't get the wrong kind of people, they set up a reform camp on a nearby island to process those who want to be Amazons, teaching them what they need to know and be able to do before they are allowed to join the rest of the population.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SCORPIO_CASSADINE

The Amazons would be perfect jailers of DC's more volatile villains. They're in an unknown place that only another Amazon can find. If theses criminals were to somehow escape they'd still wouldn't be able to make it back to the proper DCU's dimension.

Gail had the idea that Alkyone and crew were jailed in a magical tesseract, that's why we'd never heard of them before and how they survived the numerous times Themyscira was destroyed. This would also explain the whereabouts of missing Amazons like Artemis. They're on guard duty.

Reformation of villains is how the Amazons can be redeemed for the murders and sex pirating, as well as offer an explanation for what they've been doing for all these years.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes, I think they should bring Reformation Island back; I want as much of the Marston version brought back as possible.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am generally PRO most of the concepts born of the Golden Age

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

If the Batwoman arc that featured Wonder Woman holds any weight, the Amazons already have one. They hold creatures deemed more dangerous than Wonder Woman in an unnamed labyrinth where Medusa used to be incarcerated. I'm not sure where this prison is located and I think it's fairly safe to say that the Amazons don't have any rehabilitation programs.

I haven't read that yet, but that's kinda what I was thinking. The Labyrinth would make for a cool name for a prison. It would be nice to see it become one of the more iconic prisons for DC where a lot of the other heroes bring their bad guys to.

No to a return of Reformation Island as it once was.

Because, very much like killing adversaries, Reformation Island removes the villain more or less permanently from the world. And that means the island will only ever be used on 'expendable characters' thats been created with the destination in mind, and if more worthwhile enemies are incarcerated... they will just escape like they do with any jail.

That said, RI could be used as a new path for the Amazons (once the Finch's leave) as the replacement for their baby raids to keep up their numbers. Imagine this, the Amazons eventually agree that the raids are no longer feastable with the advancements of modern technology and Diana exposing the Amazons existence. Instead they will offer a place to those women who are willing to be one of them, live on the island and follow their ways. To make sure they don't get the wrong kind of people, they set up a reform camp on a nearby island to process those who want to be Amazons, teaching them what they need to know and be able to do before they are allowed to join the rest of the population.

Yeah I'm a little torn on the reformation thing. I think it's a nice aspect of Wonder Woman's character, but at the same time I like there being a sizable amount of recurring central rogues. I see the prison working in two separate parts.

First there's the monsters they are holding. Most of them aren't redeemable so they are just sent to Themyscira for safe keeping. For the most part these will be the only villains that are sent to them from heroes other then Wonder Woman.

Second there are the more human villains. These are the ones where there is a bit more focus on rehabilitation. For the most part this would only be villains who are either citizens of Themyscira, or occasion outsiders who have committed crimes against the island nation. Maybe a few magic users like Felix Faust might get sent there just because the Amazons are the ones who have the best means for keeping villains like that contained.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.