Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Should Steve Trevor be the love interest?

• 89 results
    Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should Steve Trevor be the love interest? (71 votes)

Yes 46%
    No 54%

Or make him an old fart like in Perez run?

• 
    Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I mean for the movie

ComicNerd105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering what you meant. I think he probably should but if not then he could be a close friend of hers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's not gonna be in the movie long enough for a love interest. But if she does, yes. She should have her own characters thrown in there too.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who the eff voted no??? I'll hunt you down and make u read issues with ( gags) Trevor Barnes!!!

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why does every character need a love interest these days?

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

Why not both?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JakeN7

@bsaa: But why? Why does he need to exist? Can single people not be superheroes? I don't understand.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@bsaa said:

@jaken7: uh, cuz that's his role?

Hasn't been his role since 1985, as far as the comics are concerned.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, it should be the flash.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: I couldn't agree more. If she has to have a love interest, it should be Steve, but I'd prefer it if she was just an independent woman, like, you know, an Amazon.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By daredevil21134

@jayc1324 said:

She's not gonna be in the movie long enough for a love interest. But if she does, yes. She should have her own characters thrown in there too.

this

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It should be Steve. Their relationship makes the most sense and is a pretty good story.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bsaa

@dmessmer: shud Lois be an independent woman then?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I wana see Gal kiss another girl.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should and their should be no argument. he crash lands on paradise Island and it´s cool having a powerful woman with a military man who is still her damsel in distress.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fall's idea sounded best

Wonder Woman/Artemis shipper :)

Why can´t she be bisexual. I like the idea of her having a male damsel in distress, it changes roles in a really interesting way. But I would´t mind that the Amazons have sexual relations with each other, so WW be both. I think that makes a lot of sense.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: it's been implied in the past, but during the Perez run and the subsequent writers who kept his version of the Amazons and Diana being the only ever child, it seems highly unlikely that she would have had a sexual relationship with one of her surrogate mother types. Clearly other Amazons were having some sapphic enjoyment though.

I don't think her sexual preference really matters, but I've said before that if they tried that path it would end up just being sensationalized ... The press would have a field day with "WW kissed a girl" commentary. Crazy christian anti-gay groups would start boycotts and denounce the sins of comics... Bleh

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. At best Steve is boring, at worst he is whiney or obnoxious.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: The gentlemen-in-distress trope is certainly not overused so I think Steve should be that relative to Wonder Woman. Obviously in order for it to work in Hollywood they would have to put a humorous spin on it. Humour is bizarrely underused in the superhero genre.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman should be straight just to avoid the popular misconception that women who are tough are gay and butch

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: It works for Katniss and Peeta. It's unconventional but I think humanity's prepared for that now. My father cooked the meals with the wood my mother chopped in our family's winter holidays and I saw heaps of women working at construction sites in Copenhagen. I remember seeing a woman on the french telly that singlehandedly built her own house with internet tutorials. I think people will eventually come to terms with the truth that sometimes women are the stronger half of the relationship and that there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, once we've purged the mind of all prejudice.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ArchiZoom
    No Caption Provided

<3

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: it was original and amusing back in her GA years, now it would just seem kind of lame. Seems to me portraying characters as equals is the best way to do it. It's one of the problems with SM/WW ... They keep "coming to each other's rescue" instead of acting as equals. Feels like they only highlight each characters weaknesses instead of showing how powerful they could be as a whole.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@bsaa: Lois was created with the Superman mythos, she's not an independent woman. Diana was created for her own mythos. Diana and Lois Lane aren't equivalent.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Superguy1591

@archizoom: Would a powerful woman like Diana actually be interested in a man weaker than her that she has to save all the time? I mean, the damsel in distress was created to romanticize men's societal role as the provider and protector of the woman in ancient cultures.

Would Steve playing the dude in distress really play to the heart strings of a female audience or are you just looking for a strike back for feminism?

i mean, doo women really have a need to want to save men? Is that an attractive quality to women? Haplessness? It not attractive to me as a man, but I know most men are into it.

I read an article once about how millionaires and billionaires were tested to see what type of person they wanted in a spouse. The makes wanted women that were not their financial equals and they wanted someone who wanted to help him spend his money. This shows signs of men wanting to rescue women and show off their ability.

The female millionaires and billionaires all wanted their financial equal or better. So I'm not sure a dude In distress would work too well. Thoughts?

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Don't get me started on that subject Superguy, men chasing one or more beauteous pieces of meat, loosely speaking, and women chasing a stronger, better male, preferably rich is all sorts of wrong. I strongly believe that sort of mentality precludes women from fulfilling their full-potential and obviously it's not the one Wonder Woman was inculcated with. I vividly remember being 14 and asking my neighbor is she wanted to ride bikes with me and she told me no because she believed riding a bike once would amplify her muscles.

Wonder Woman is an Amazon, you know she wasn't raised like that in Themyscira. Amazons are at least co-alpha. Actually, In some iterations of the greek myth, the Amazons were a mixed-sex society where slavery and 'womanly' duties were fastened upon men so they obviously didn't prize their strength.

I think Wonder Woman would just search for a life-partner with no strict parameters, definitely not a stronger one, not a wimpy little man either, just a good man whose company she likes. Obviously Steve is just a man and every man is a lesser man relative to Wonder Woman.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsaa: No, Steve was created to be her man as Lois was created to be Superman's loved-one.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Superguy1591

@bsaa: last I checked, the Franchise isn't called Steve Trevor ft. Diana of the Amazons, it's called Wonder Woman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: I don't think Diana was taught to seek to dominate, I've always thought she sought equality. Steve only exists to make her be in control of her life. I'm not saying she she have someone more powerful, I just think Diana is better served alone.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: totally agree. Diana would be most comfortable with an equal ... Not necessarily physically since that is such a rare thing, but certainly in intelligence and someone who knows their own value. Steve's problem is that he consistently needs to prove himself to Diana. I wouldn't want her to be alone, but it wouldn't want her with someone who couldn't be a match for her. Clark falls into some of these issues too ... He's insecure in the relationship at times despite being her physical equal he's shown some shocking moments during their relationship ... And clearly he's harboring some resentment that we've seen come through during the events of Doomed.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: That's what I meant. Wonder Woman doesn't seek anyone she can dominate nor a man who can dominate her so to speak, just someone she likes being with. My point is that the Amazons wouldn't necessarily have a preference for stronger males just because mortal women do. They think themselves superior.

Most people see Wonder Woman through the glasses of their own entrenched cultural beliefs but Themyscira is a different culture entirely, the sex roles of the men's world don't hold water there.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: The gentlemen-in-distress trope is certainly not overused so I think Steve should be that relative to Wonder Woman. Obviously in order for it to work in Hollywood they would have to put a humorous spin on it. Humour is bizarrely underused in the superhero genre.

Uh? Spidey. Flash, New Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and many more would like to disagree.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: DC's entire line as well as the totality of the World's literature would like to disagree with them. I guess it depends on where you draw the line.

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steve and Lois should hook up in my opinion

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: please god no.......

We have enough overly jokey garbage from Marvel

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: To be fair, Clark has all reason to be insecure about things. She did Han Solo him; if a girl did that to me I would think she wasnt serious either.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: Nah, Amazonian culture might think they're superior, but Diana never bought into it. That's why she left with Steve, she wanted to see if the things her mother said about men were true.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: To be fair, Clark has all reason to be insecure about things. She did Han Solo him; if a girl did that to me I would think she wasnt serious either.

Agreed he has every reason to be ... her behavior has been quite suspect since the Han Soloing moment. Doesn't mean it's going to help him :)

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Aleka.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Regardless she's not a woman that longs for a stronger man, that'd belie her own creed and cultural heritage. She's dating one now but he's a bit of a sissy

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

Why does every character need a love interest these days?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.