Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8804 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Should she be sexually aggressive towards men?

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was wondering since she has been acknowledged as feminist throughout her history and people seem to misinterpret the meaning anyways that she should be a bit "hostile" towards the male race. I was imagining that her attitude in comics towards men could be similar to her attitude in JLU towards men but with a little sass. I don't mind if she was aggressive towards men in a sexual way.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Penguin-Dust

No, DC has Catwoman for that. I take Diana's independence to mean she won't sit by the proverbial phone waiting for Steve Trevor to call. She'll call him or ask him out instead of falling into traditional gender rolls. However, she is a princess and understands the importance of restraint. Catwoman on the other hand is sexually aggressive as she chooses the dominate the relationship and establish that she is in control of the perception of her own sexuality. Both are elements within feminism sometimes dismissed by more radical aspects of modern digital social movements.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

not necessarily. i definitely dont think she would be shy or like coy around them, and i do think she's upfront about her feelings but she wouldnt be pushy imo. i think she'd give the same amount of respect as she expects. i think how they portrayed her in JL/JLU with batman is pretty much how id imagine her to be.

I think she'd act in a way people might not deem "acceptable" for a woman in a straight relationship because she hasnt been socialized in the way we would be in "man's world" but she'd never be aggressive or abrasive

moi245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand where you are coming from but a lot of people love wonder woman cause she stands for peace and justice she should always stay classy ! plus her new costume is really awesome i don't think she should be sexually aggressive that will ruin her character not that i have any problem with it but it suits her !

@penguindust:I totally agree thats something catwoman or harley quinn should do WONDER WOMAN is a freaking badass and she means business ! she is supposed to be serious yet charming and sweet !

Namasthetu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman should never be hostile or aggressive unless facing a direct threat. Part of her allure as a character is that she is calm, confident, and comfortable as she is. She doesn't need to be aggressive towards petty men, and she has no issues with those who are not.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman should never be hostile or aggressive unless facing a direct threat. Part of her allure as a character is that she is calm, confident, and comfortable as she is. She doesn't need to be aggressive towards petty men, and she has no issues with those who are not.

This

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When is the last time you picked up a Frank Miller book?

Confess.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't want her to be hostile in her interaction with men just because they are men. I don't think that would be a particularly appealing character trait. As far as being sexually aggressive...doesn't really bother me either way as long as she is written to be decisive in her choices and personality.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

She is sexually aggressive in her JL3000 incarnation:

Otherwise... honestly, I think it's a bit stereotypical if warrior women characters are all automatically like men. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the humor of seeing a female character act like Marvel's Warbird (the alien), who could in the middle of a fight go: "Iceman when this is over, I will bed you!" or boast her own sexual prowess. But I don't think even the majority should be like this, and certainly not Diana, whom I just see as someone who was raised more polite than that.

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that's what you want(?)

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By dshipp17

No, not really; I prefer the approach where men and Dr. Psycho hit on her. The issue is more that DC needs to focus a lot more on those awkward moments where men hit on her and how she deals with that type of interaction with men.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she can be sexually agressive to me.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are trying the sexually aggressive route in JL 3000 and IMO have gone overboard with her sexual appetite. Should sexuality be a part of the character? I think so, it's always been in her story so I see no reason to go down the virginal/purity route with Diana. But it's a slippery slope that can easily run down the overdone path.

Perez and most other post-Crisis writers made her kind of asexual ... something I also think works against her characterization. A few moments in time they tried to give her some new boyfriend (Trevor, Tom and probably someone else I'm forgetting) ... but this never really seemed to work for her either, possibly because writers always seem to put her into traditional western monogamous relationships (not to say that's bad) ... which also doesn't feel like how WW would operate.

Now the SM relationship ... I think it would be kind of funny to see Diana be the more sexually aggressive one with Clark, who I always felt was a "saving himself for marriage" kind of guy.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, DC has Catwoman for that. I take Diana's independence to mean she won't sit by the proverbial phone waiting for Steve Trevor to call. She'll call him or ask him out instead of falling into traditional gender rolls. However, she is a princess and understands the importance of restraint. Catwoman on the other hand is sexually aggressive as she chooses the dominate the relationship and establish that she is in control of the perception of her own sexuality. Both are elements within feminism sometimes dismissed by more radical aspects of modern digital social movements.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Given how badly female sexuality can be handled by a medium dominated by men, I can see why some would choose to avoid her sexual appetites like the plague. As you yourself pointed out, one of the few times they do acknowledge it, they bungle it royally. Better to focus on other more important aspects of her character (her role as a diplomat, member of the League etc).

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

@csg_cl: Given how badly female sexuality can be handled by a medium dominated by men, I can see why some would choose to avoid her sexual appetites like the plague. As you yourself pointed out, one of the few times they do acknowledge it, they bungle it royally. Better to focus on other more important aspects of her character (her role as a diplomat, member of the League etc).

I tend to find the diplomat angle painfully dull after a while ... but have to agree that most of the time they just make her sexual relationships painfully awkward

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.