Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Should Aphrodite be her patron again?

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

It seems her patron has changed plenty of times, before it was Aphrodite, then Athena, and lately Ares.

personally im absolutely opposed to Ares though I wish theyd bring Aprhodite back overall.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jphulk26

i like hera. aphrodite and athena are too obvious

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Goddess who is notorious for promiscuity and infidelity? No thanks. I'll take Athena who in addition to being a strategist is also a politician.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z: she is a goddess of love. if anything shes been mishandled and misrepresented but that doesnt mean she doesnt have value(though i dont see whats wrong with her being promiscuous)

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: mishandled and misunderstood? Her cheating on her husband is neither of those. However you're right she does have value.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba: i mean the character is presented in a one sided way where shes simplified to being desirable when love is a complex concept that is much more than romance and sex. also all of these gods are ultimately horrible people,besides maybe two or three. majority, if not all, the men are rapist and abusers according to antiquity and Hera, ironically the goddess of women, would rather torment the raped women as opposed to sympathizing with them so i dont see how Aphrodite cheating on her husband is at all comparable to anything anyother god does.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally don't want her to have a "patron" ... one of the reasons I like her as a god herself is that she stands on her own. I also don't know that I'd call Ares her patron in N52 ... more an attempted manipulator. Marston's original idea was that Aphrodite was all about Love and stood opposite Mars who was War. Obviously this was an idealized version of both gods since in Greek/Roman mythology all the Olympians had both positive and negative traits.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

The Goddess who is notorious for promiscuity and infidelity? No thanks. I'll take Athena who in addition to being a strategist is also a politician.

There were actually two distinct Aphrodites in the mythology ... Aphrodite Ourania, the celestial Aphrodite (the one born from the sea) who was the aspect of spiritual love and Aphrodite Pandemos, the common Aphrodite, born from the union of Zeus and Dione who was the aspect of physical love ... neither of these versions were considered negative in Greek society. It's a modern/Judeo-Christian interpretation that influences negative thought process about Aphrodite and promiscuity. Of course every Greek/Roman god that wasn't purely a virgin was pretty much promiscuous/jealous/self absorbed but also had faithful/kind/giving aspects. Athena was no better than the others in that she was deceptive and devious and competitive depending on the story she was featured in.

The reality of the Olympian mythology makes it easy to write any of them as benevolent or horrid and since they are public domain DC has leeway to eliminate or add details as they wish so Aphrodite thus far into N52 has not been seen as anything other than a loving wife to Hephaestus (at least as far as I know). And certainly Marston used her as a source of good and love.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Aphrodite idea in the original context of Love over War and Violence. Unfortunately, in the modern age I can see Aphrodite being her patron can cause writers to have a little too much free reign on the sex aspect of the goddess. I don't mind WW having sex or multiple partners, but I believe Aphrodite with the writers DC has now will make something innocent and turn it into something purely sexual, which Wonder Woman is not all about.

Because of this and Diana's propensity for science and intelligence, I think Athena is a better fit for future writers.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Aphrodite idea in the original context of Love over War and Violence. Unfortunately, in the modern age I can see Aphrodite being her patron can cause writers to have a little too much free reign on the sex aspect of the goddess. I don't mind WW having sex or multiple partners, but I believe Aphrodite with the writers DC has now will make something innocent and turn it into something purely sexual, which Wonder Woman is not all about.

Because of this and Diana's propensity for science and intelligence, I think Athena is a better fit for future writers.

well said

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Only if it's Aphrodite with the big bouffant hairdo and construction paper hearts on her gown.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It should be Athena.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An argument could be made for all three goddesses. Athena comes nearest into what she is. Hera's name is always called upon in matters of faith and strength. Aphrodite is ideal in the golden age's history. Doesn't really matter because she rivals her beauty.

Going into current continuity, she's the god of war now. I really like that she's the patron of all the soldiers in the world. I also like that she struggles to suppress war's nature.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dernman
    @somayareece said:

Athena can guide her

Athena has a history of patronage of heroic figures. She's the god of wisdom and a bit in war. Two aspects that fill in perfect with the two sides of Wonder Woman.

Also who better to guide someone with wisdom than the god of wisdom? Not to mention guide someone who is suppose to be the epitome of a peak person who does the right thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @somayareece said:

Athena can guide her

Athena has a history of patronage of heroic figures. She's the god of wisdom and a bit in war. Two aspects that fill in perfect with the two sides of Wonder Woman.

Also who better to guide someone with wisdom than the god of wisdom? Not to mention guide someone who is suppose to be the epitome of a peak person who does the right thing.

i mean i see her merit but i guess i dont understand why they dropped aphrodite the way they did.

itd be cool if amazons had multiple ideologies/religions that stemmed from the goddesses that created them so she could pick and choose but i really dont understand why aphrodite was dropped altogether

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dernman
    @willienotwilliam said:
    @dernman said:
    @somayareece said:

Athena can guide her

i mean i see her merit but i guess i dont understand why they dropped aphrodite the way they did.

itd be cool if amazons had multiple ideologies/religions that stemmed from the goddesses that created them so she could pick and choose but i really dont understand why aphrodite was dropped altogether

Who said they did? Many cities had their main patron god but it didn't mean they dropped all the rest. Athens is an example of a city who had Athena as their main patron. They still had smaller temples to other gods.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @willienotwilliam said:
    @dernman said:
    @somayareece said:

Athena can guide her

Who said they did? Many cities had their main patron god but it didn't mean they dropped all the rest. Athens is an example of a city who had Athena as their main patron. They still had smaller temples to other gods.

the fact that aphrodite isn't her patron and she doesnt follow aphrodite's law is what im talking about

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: it's true, in the Acropolis there are temples to Zues, a theater of Dionysus as well as the temple of Nike amongst others and of course the Parthanon

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dernman
    @willienotwilliam said:
    @dernman said:
    @willienotwilliam said:
    @dernman said:
    @somayareece said:

Athena can guide her

the fact that aphrodite isn't her patron and she doesnt follow aphrodite's law is what im talking about

Correct me if I'm wrong but she doesn't have any patron now in the 52. Especially now that she is a god herself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: i know and before that it was athena that took aphrodite's place

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dernman

@willienotwilliam: They probably just changed it to one they thought was better suited for the role.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Archizooom

Aphrodite was also the patron goddess of harlots, not that Wonder Woman can't share Aphrodite with them though but I like the new Game of Thrones-y format where Wonder Woman is one of the family, and with Zeus out of the equation, there's a cool story waiting to be written. Alliances, betrayal, I wouldn't mind if Wonder Woman herself set her eyes on the throne, it's high time female characters had ambition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aphrodite was also the patron goddess of harlots, not that Wonder Woman can't share Aphrodite with them though but I like the new Game of Thrones-y format where Wonder Woman is one of the family, and with Zeus out of the equation, there's a cool story waiting to be written. Alliances, betrayal, I wouldn't mind if Wonder Woman herself set her eyes on the throne, it's high time female characters had ambition

id rather the goddesses(sans Diana) split the three realms between them and ruled as a group

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: yeah but at least we all agree that there needs to be a change in leadership

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the reality is you can write around any of the goddesses and you can write stories where it doesn't really matter at all, so I would advocate Aphrodite for the simple reason that you can then say the bird that makes up Wonder Woman's breast plate is Aphrodite's dove. Also as for Ares in the New 52, I saw him more as Wonder Woman's father figure, he offered everything she really needed for a time. He was her rock. Which I think makes a really interesting metaphor and relationship. If Wonder Woman is in some interpretations supposed to represent peace, is the Azzarello saying peace is fathered by war and I think that's an interesting concept to be explored.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: Not in this continuity where they're reduced to being glorified babysitters for Zeus.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.