Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

She will play an important role in the Darkseid War

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't know if this is true but apparently Geoff Johns wants to portray her as stronger than she usually is in preparation of her big role in the war. Geoff has shown that he has a strong interest in the character and seems to like what she represents. Tomasi might be going in this same direction. You guys will have to wait and see what going to happen after Convergence. I think it is a great idea to have stories that have her contributing a lot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry I meant to put this on the Wonder Woman board

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@somayareece: yeah, he said writing Luthor in the JL made him more fond of Diana.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Klaus

YES IT IS TRUE. I can't post the link cause im on the Ps4 but ill quote this for you.

Geoff Johns: "I don't know if you've seen the cover to Justice League #42, but its just unbelievably beautiful. That cover best represents what we're doing, that Wonder Woman is front and center and the focal point of this entire storyline."

Edit; he also said "And Diana has really bubbled to the top for me because of Jay. I give him all the credit in the world for drawing and illustrating her in such a powerful and dynamic way, that I just fell in love with the character all over again. She is, for me, the touchstone for what the League is all about and where we're going to go in the future."

As a WW fan this is amazing news.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus: Thanks for letting me know and you're right, that is amazing news for Wonder Woman fans :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: I always thought Devastation or Earth-3 Superwoman was the Anti-Wonder Woman based on their background. Circe is just a sorceress who is jealous of WW and wants a man to be her sex slave.

WhineHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So pumped!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/johns-fabok-say-wonder-woman-leads-the-charge-in-darkseid-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: I see. I believe that was when Circe amped herself to Wonder Woman's stats. I have to look for that issue by the way.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Tbh, it seems only fitting that she has a big war given how she's war now and you know.. it's a war..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

@somayareece: She will play the only role in Darkseid War with how Geoff Johns is righting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: I'm suprised that Geoff making her the center of attention out of all the members. It's a good thing and you're right since she isn't the God of War for nothing. I wonder if she going to fight Darkseid like she did in Justice League War.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: I'm suprised that Geoff making her the center of attention out of all the members. It's a good thing and you're right since she isn't the God of War for nothing. I wonder if she going to fight Darkseid like she did in Justice League War.

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: Did you read Final Crisis? Wonder Woman pretty much the reason Uxas lost in that story. I believe Darkseid should be equal to Thanos IMO.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Good. Maybe it will lighten some of you guys up

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@justthatkid: I always thought Devastation or Earth-3 Superwoman was the Anti-Wonder Woman based on their background. Circe is just a sorceress who is jealous of WW and wants a man to be her sex slave.

I'd argue that Circe is the Anti-Wonder Woman because she is the exact opposite of Diana, both in power and in personality.

If we compare them to Superman's adversaries; Devastation might best be equated to Zod (same powerset but different goals), Earth-3 SW is ofc Ultraman, but Circe is Luthor (polar opposite in both personality and power type).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: You make a very great point and I applaud it. Keep in mind that there are people that can also make an argument for Cheetah being the Anti-Wonder Woman. I would likely compare her to Metallo though.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: You make a very great point and I applaud it. Keep in mind that there are people that can also make an argument for Cheetah being the Anti-Wonder Woman. I would likely compare her to Metallo though.

Only from the standpoint of Diana embodying civilization while Cheetah embodies savagery.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Speaking of Circe, I don't know what the Fishes (that's what I call them now) were thinking having Diana in a dull feud with Donna. They could of made a great story with Circe but too bad their mindset and writing is horrible.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only from the standpoint of Diana embodying civilization while Cheetah embodies savagery.

Circe is not the anti-Wonder Woman in the same way that Sinestro is the Anti-Green Lantern and Zoom is the anti-Flash. Cheetah could become the Anti-Wonder Woman if they rehabilitate the character.

Genocide was the Anti-Wonder Woman but that character didn't take. Donna is the current Anti-Wonder Woman but we all know she's going to be redeemed. Hopefully Grail won't be consigned to oblivion once the Darkseid War is over.

Circe should be upgraded to a powerful, cosmic-level witch. I'd move the Gods to space, to a planetary system located at the center of the universe. We would have it that planet Earth falls under the jurisdiction of a few pantheons - Greek, Norse, Egyptian, Hindu etc and they would visit us through wormholes. However unbeknown to us, our Gods would rule over many different territories scattered across the Universe.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:

Circe is not the anti-Wonder Woman in the same way that Sinestro is the Anti-Green Lantern and Zoom is the anti-Flash. Cheetah could become the Anti-Wonder Woman if they rehabilitate the character.

Genocide was the Anti-Wonder Woman but that character didn't take. Donna is the current Anti-Wonder Woman but we all know she's going to be redeemed. Hopefully Grail won't be consigned to oblivion once the Darkseid War is over.

Circe should be upgraded to a powerful, cosmic-level witch. I'd move the Gods to space, to a planetary system located at the center of the universe. We would have it that planet Earth falls under the jurisdiction of a few pantheons - Greek, Norse, Egyptian, Hindu etc and they would visit us through wormholes. However unbeknown to us, our Gods would rule over many different territories scattered across the Universe.

Neither Sinestro or Zoom are the equal to a Lex Luthor or Circe are to their heroes. I honestly doubt you could make Cheetah into an Anti Wonder Woman, not without changing her so much you might as well have created a new character instead.

No, those, like Sinestro and Zoom, are simply what I consider to be Dark versions of the heroes they most often face, to be an 'Anti' to someone, you have to be the polar opposite IMO.

I'd hate it if the gods were turned into aliens, it's one of the reasons I have never been fond of the idea of New Gods being considered greater. I'd say you just leave them in their realm and just go from it to other planets, taking other names and forms depending on who or what they are appearing in front of.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither Sinestro or Zoom are the equal to a Lex Luthor or Circe are to their heroes. I honestly doubt you could make Cheetah into an Anti Wonder Woman, not without changing her so much you might as well have created a new character instead.

No, those, like Sinestro and Zoom, are simply what I consider to be Dark versions of the heroes they most often face, to be an 'Anti' to someone, you have to be the polar opposite IMO.

I'd hate it if the gods were turned into aliens, it's one of the reasons I have never been fond of the idea of New Gods being considered greater. I'd say you just leave them in their realm and just go from it to other planets, taking other names and forms depending on who or what they are appearing in front of.

I thought we were talking about those evil versions of superheroes like Zoom and Sinestro..

Anyway, I hate the idea of them being so lame and weak that they fall or just stay on the sidelines while someone like Darkseid pays a visit to usurp their land, I'd rather them not be here. Not to mention the Poseidon/Aquaman overlap, who's the king of the seas? And where in the sky is Olympus?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought we were talking about those evil versions of superheroes like Zoom and Sinestro..

Anyway, I hate the idea of them being so lame and weak that they fall or just stay on the sidelines while someone like Darkseid pays a visit to usurp their land, I'd rather them not be here. Not to mention the Poseidon/Aquaman overlap, who's the king of the seas? And where in the sky is Olympus?

If thats what you consider an 'anti' version?

Olympus is extra-dimensional as far as I can tell, it's why the First Born needed to kill an Olympian in order to reach it under his own power. Poseidon is not the king of the seas, he is the seas, while Atlantis is just a city situated in it. In a way I think Azzarello wrote the Olympians very similarly to how Neil Gaiman wrote his Endless; as embodiments that represents different themes.

Regarding weakness... well I am not sure this is the case any more. The Earth-2 gods appeared to have put up quite a fight during Darkseid's initial attack. And it wasn't like Orion was able to push any of the Olympians around whenever he showed up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: @brunnhilde: I remember Circe was so powerful at one point that even Darkseid feared her power. I think it was in Men of War or War of The Gods. Not sure but I always pictured her and the other gods being that powerful.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GrandWonder

http://www.reddit.com/r/respectthreads/comments/2wv7io/respect_dc_circe_pre52/

Found this. Enjoy!

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Archizooom

@outside_85 said:

If thats what you consider an 'anti' version?

Olympus is extra-dimensional as far as I can tell, it's why the First Born needed to kill an Olympian in order to reach it under his own power. Poseidon is not the king of the seas, he is the seas, while Atlantis is just a city situated in it. In a way I think Azzarello wrote the Olympians very similarly to how Neil Gaiman wrote his Endless; as embodiments that represents different themes.

Regarding weakness... well I am not sure this is the case any more. The Earth-2 gods appeared to have put up quite a fight during Darkseid's initial attack. And it wasn't like Orion was able to push any of the Olympians around whenever he showed up.

That's what they were talking about before I chimed in. You can say Zoom is the anti-Flash as in the negative version of him. You could also say that Lex Luthor is the anti-Superman in that he actively antagonizes him.

Poseidon is not the Seas, he didn't create the oceans, after her and his siblings defeated the Titans they divided up the cosmos, Poseidon became the ruler of the Sea, Zeus claimed the Sky and Hades got the Underworld. I believe that's how it went in the DCU as well I mean after Zeus went awol, his brothers had plans to seize his kingdom so they are Kings in their respective realms. However in the DCU Arthur is also the King of the Sea so I think DC should put their house in order. If Olympus is extra-dimensional then it might as well exist in a far away galaxy.

I wholeheartedly regret squandering money on that Earth 2 suckage, I don't know who felled the olympians but seeing how Steppenwolf was killed, the Gods didn't seem like much to me.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's what they were talking about before I chimed in. You can say Zoom is the anti-Flash as in the negative version of him. You could also say that Lex Luthor is the anti-Superman in that he actively antagonizes him.

Poseidon is not the Seas, he didn't create the oceans, after her and his siblings defeated the Titans they divided up the cosmos, Poseidon became the ruler of the Sea, Zeus claimed the Sky and Hades got the Underworld. I believe that's how it went in the DCU as well I mean after Zeus went awol, his brothers had plans to seize his kingdom so they are Kings in their respective realms. However in the DCU Arthur is also the King of the Sea so I think DC should put their house in order. If Olympus is extra-dimensional then it might as well exist in a far away galaxy.

I wholeheartedly regret squandering money on that Earth 2 suckage, I don't know who felled the olympians but seeing how Steppenwolf was killed, the Gods didn't seem like much to me.

I say Luthor is the Anti-Superman because he is the polar-opposite both in power and personality. Superman is physically perfect, Luthor is bald and isnt known for being able to flex. Superman relies on his physical attributes to overcome his challenges, while Lex relies on his smarts. Superman will die for a single human being, while Lex will destroy any number of lives to get what he wants.

I know how the Titanomancy went along with the aftermath in the myths. However in the New 52, the ownership of the realms you mentioned goes beyond the title, the gods are shaped by their realms and their realms are shaped by them. They are not kings of these realms, they are those realms, and in the case of their death they simply pass the job on to whoever killed them. Like Hades was omnipresent when within his realm, he was able to shape and reshape everything within according to his will and when he died and the FB stopped caring for the realm, it broke apart.

Poseidon is of the same story, the reason he doesnt contest with Atlantis over who is king, is because Atlantis is ultimately nothing to the being that commands all the waters and the creatures within, including Atlantis. And who knows, maybe in ages past, Poseidon took a more human form and ruled Atlantis, leaving the trident Aquaman occassionally uses behind when he got bored.

Thats essentially the core problem of putting New Gods on Gods of myth on the same level and then have one beat up the other but not the third.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85:I say Luthor is the Anti-Superman because he is the polar-opposite both in power and personality. Superman is physically perfect, Luthor is bald and isnt known for being able to flex. Superman relies on his physical attributes to overcome his challenges, while Lex relies on his smarts. Superman will die for a single human being, while Lex will destroy any number of lives to get what he wants.

Anti-something can denote a few slightly different things. You could say that Lex Luthor is the anti-Superman in that, while other super villains pursue some non-superman-related goals that set them on a collision course with Superman, Lex's end goal is to take him out of commission. Zod, his evil counterpart, can also be seen as the anti-Superman, like Christ/Antichrist.

I know how the Titanomancy went along with the aftermath in the myths. However in the New 52, the ownership of the realms you mentioned goes beyond the title, the gods are shaped by their realms and their realms are shaped by them. They are not kings of these realms, they are those realms, and in the case of their death they simply pass the job on to whoever killed them. Like Hades was omnipresent when within his realm, he was able to shape and reshape everything within according to his will and when he died and the FB stopped caring for the realm, it broke apart.

Well Hades' demise is open to interpretation. Hades was conceived of as very possessive God, he treasured his souls and let no one escape his realm or steal a soul from him. I believe he was portrayed likewise in Wonder Woman so when the died, there was nothing preventing them from leaving the Underworld. Obviously Hades had power over his Kingdom but that doesn't necessarily mean he was one with it. The sun didn't stop shining when Apollo gave up the ghost.

Poseidon is of the same story, the reason he doesnt contest with Atlantis over who is king, is because Atlantis is ultimately nothing to the being that commands all the waters and the creatures within, including Atlantis. And who knows, maybe in ages past, Poseidon took a more human form and ruled Atlantis, leaving the trident Aquaman occassionally uses behind when he got bored.

So Poseidon anointed one of Aquaman's predecessors and went into retirement? I prefer my Space-Gods concept, I think it opens up endless story possibilities. For instance, we could have it that the aforementioned pantheons are actually different interpretations of the same divine family and immediately I can work up a really cool story of how the Amazons inspired the myth of the Valkyries when giant waves picked up a ship full of Norsemen and spew them on the shores of Themyscira.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anti-something can denote a few slightly different things. You could say that Lex Luthor is the anti-Superman in that, while other super villains pursue some non-superman-related goals that set them on a collision course with Superman, Lex's end goal is to take him out of commission. Zod, his evil counterpart, can also be seen as the anti-Superman, like Christ/Antichrist.

Well Hades' demise is open to interpretation. Hades was conceived of as very possessive God, he treasured his souls and let no one escape his realm or steal a soul from him. I believe he was portrayed likewise in Wonder Woman so when the died, there was nothing preventing them from leaving the Underworld. Obviously Hades had power over his Kingdom but that doesn't necessarily mean he was one with it. The sun didn't stop shining when Apollo gave up the ghost.

So Poseidon anointed one of Aquaman's predecessors and went into retirement? I prefer my Space-Gods concept, I think it opens up endless story possibilities. For instance, we could have it that the aforementioned pantheons are actually different interpretations of the same divine family and immediately I can work up a really cool story of how the Amazons inspired the myth of the Valkyries when giant waves picked up a ship full of Norsemen and spew them on the shores of Themyscira.

That is true, but you seem to be sticking with the 'dark-reflection' types where the villain has the same kind of powers as the hero, but another set of morals and personality. I've 'gone a step futher' and I am looking at those who are opposite is both powers and in personalities.

If Hades' life was going like it was in the myths, I think he was portrayed as loveless and stunted. All the time he had been alone in his own realm made him incapable of understanding feelings like normal people do, so he acted as he thought was the right way to go about it... which was a bit like that of a cartoon caveman wacking a woman over the head with a club to win her heart. Regarding his relationship with his realm; how he could reshape it at a whim and appear anywhere he chose to at a moments notice and knew what was going on unless distracted. And that it fell apart when he died, I'd say Hades and realm were pretty well established to be one and the same. In regards to Apollo, you are ofc correct the sun didn't stop shining, normally I attribute that to Apollo's divine role simply having been passed onto the First Born as the one who killed him and that atleast for now the First Born had a vested interest in continuing the cycle there while not giving a hoot about people in the post-mortem department. That said, despite Moon claiming to know for certain by having felt it, there is an option that Apollo didn't actually die in his own blast, but only thrown clear of the mountain and headed into hiding.

The way I look at how the Gods work is that they are representatives, physical embodiments of things that matter to mortals. Like Apollo was the physical representative of the Sun on Earth, you wanted a word with the Sun about the light not coming to your farmlands? Go speak to Apollo, because talking to him would be the same as speaking to the Sun itself. In another fashion, the Gods are bit like the Starwars hologram-phones, the Gods are the hologram, a projection of a greater entity thats beyond your sight.

The myth about the Valkyries being inspired by the Amazons is perfectly doable under my idea as well. Poseidon is the Sea, not just the Mediterranean, he is the Atlantic, the Pacific, from the smallest lake and stream to the largest ocean, like he himself said: "There is no shore that can contain me." That said, you wouldn't need Poseidon's involvement to put Viking boots on Themyscira, they reached the Mediterranean under their own power, so you'd only need a storm to wash them up on the shores. Alternatively you could just have the Viking mercenaries that served in Constantinople be called on to engage a troop of Amazons passing through the region.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Archizooom

@outside_85 said:

That is true, but you seem to be sticking with the 'dark-reflection' types where the villain has the same kind of powers as the hero, but another set of morals and personality. I've 'gone a step futher' and I am looking at those who are opposite is both powers and in personalities.

If Hades' life was going like it was in the myths, I think he was portrayed as loveless and stunted. All the time he had been alone in his own realm made him incapable of understanding feelings like normal people do, so he acted as he thought was the right way to go about it... which was a bit like that of a cartoon caveman wacking a woman over the head with a club to win her heart. Regarding his relationship with his realm; how he could reshape it at a whim and appear anywhere he chose to at a moments notice and knew what was going on unless distracted. And that it fell apart when he died, I'd say Hades and realm were pretty well established to be one and the same. In regards to Apollo, you are ofc correct the sun didn't stop shining, normally I attribute that to Apollo's divine role simply having been passed onto the First Born as the one who killed him and that atleast for now the First Born had a vested interest in continuing the cycle there while not giving a hoot about people in the post-mortem department. That said, despite Moon claiming to know for certain by having felt it, there is an option that Apollo didn't actually die in his own blast, but only thrown clear of the mountain and headed into hiding.

The way I look at how the Gods work is that they are representatives, physical embodiments of things that matter to mortals. Like Apollo was the physical representative of the Sun on Earth, you wanted a word with the Sun about the light not coming to your farmlands? Go speak to Apollo, because talking to him would be the same as speaking to the Sun itself. In another fashion, the Gods are bit like the Starwars hologram-phones, the Gods are the hologram, a projection of a greater entity thats beyond your sight.

The myth about the Valkyries being inspired by the Amazons is perfectly doable under my idea as well. Poseidon is the Sea, not just the Mediterranean, he is the Atlantic, the Pacific, from the smallest lake and stream to the largest ocean, like he himself said: "There is no shore that can contain me." That said, you wouldn't need Poseidon's involvement to put Viking boots on Themyscira, they reached the Mediterranean under their own power, so you'd only need a storm to wash them up on the shores. Alternatively you could just have the Viking mercenaries that served in Constantinople be called on to engage a troop of Amazons passing through the region.

The story was actually a bit vague, this is but your interpretation of it and no offense but I think it doesn't hold water. If Hades and his Realm were one and the same, the Underworld should've crumbled apart upon it's King's demise but it didn't. Instead, the souls once imprisoned there were free to leave, Hades was no more, without it's king the kingdom was in shambles. Likewise, with Apollo's "disappearance" you'd think something would've happened to the Sun like a disruption of the solar cycle or something like that. Also Hades' death rose a few questions like where is his soul and who's in charge of the Underworld now? The First Born's buried away, he can't rule so someone else can take over his domains. In my opinion, it makes more sense to think of the Gods as Avatars, like Swamp Thing who btw overlaps with Harvest. If however they moved the Olympians to space, we could have it that Aquaman and Swamp Thing were just delegates. I think the Earth houses too many powerful beings, it makes Superman and Wonder Woman seem not so special and the planet not that vulnerable.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.