Send in another wave of Amazons!

Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the major shortcomings of the writing of Wonder Woman over the years has been her lack of credible enemies.  It is really only since the Perez reboot that she has in fact had what could be considered to be a traditional rogue’s gallery.  In the silver age there were a few – two Cheetahs, the Angle Man, Doctor Psycho, the Silver Swan and maybe one or two others, but for the majority of her publication history she has mostly been without compelling enemies to write the stories.  The well-established villains of Batman and Superman lend themselves quite strongly to well written stories, even without a strong motivation by the heroes, the villains can provide this themselves.  So in this way Wonder Woman suffers from a lack of villains.

One of the ways in which the writers make up for it, is through somewhat repetitive plotlines.  One of the most common is a series of contests, sometimes in which Diana has to compete for her title of Wonder woman again.  Another is the invasion of Themyscira by outside forces.   This last one is one which I find to be a bit perplexing at times.  I can’t be sure how many times there has been an invasion but it happens fairly often.  In Wonder Woman #104 of the second volume after an invasion from Apokolips it is described that there are around twelve hundred Amazons left and that half had died.  Later though the city is shown in full repair and with the Amazons at full strength.  

Certainly in terms of being a fan of Wonder Woman one of the major problems throughout the whole publication history has been the writing.  Here though even the writers can’t get their recycled plot lines right, with an endless supply of Amazons for battle and a city which repairs itself.   Maybe some stronger villains would shift the focus off these non-events and give the series a stronger direction and appeal.           

#1 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed, stronger direction is definitely needed with stronger characters and not the repetition we have seen so darn often.  As for the warrior ranks of Themyscira being near inexhaustible, maybe Hippolyta figured out that clay is more useful than just creating a daughter to go out into the world of man?  Who knows really.

#2 Posted by SC (13399 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a thread around where people were creating their own villain for her with some nice suggestions. I think another good way is by letting a good writer with an appreciation of DC characters have fun with the sandbox and play a little character trading. Genocide got this a little, I liked her as a WW villain. Some villains I feel get abused by that process though (Doomsday) still, as far as reinventing old enemies and making them credible... I too find the whole attack the Amazons thing tired. Its not as bad as Marvel's Asgardians though, but still. I think another factor maybe having and creating likable WW villains. I think writers could get a bit more risky with their antagonists for Diana. I liked quite a few of the villains Gail Simone wrote for her in more recent times. 

#3 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus

I wonder what is more easily replenishable, Amazons or S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.     

#4 Posted by SC (13399 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz:  Can HAND Ninja count? They don't even leave a corpse. Then ten more appear. Worse than Hydra they are. 
#5 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC

Thats not even a fair comparison, Hand ninja reappear at a geometric rate. 

#6 Posted by SC (13399 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz:  For some reason my mind wandered to the Crimson Centipede taking over the HAND in a Marvel/DC crossover special. Oh see... now you should make a blog where you try and make that concept work in a serious fashion... (speaking of good villains)
#7 Posted by MrUnknown (1628 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:

@RedheadedAtrocitus

I wonder what is more easily replenishable, Amazons or S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.     

S.H.I.E.L.D. actually recruits people where as for Amazons, I'm not sure where they come from.
#8 Edited by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio

I still say Maxwell Lord, should be transferred to a Wonder Woman villain. I mean he and her have a viable history with one another. Max definitely has a vendetta to score.

Also it would be a good metaphorical fight as well. Being that Max is a Male with the ability to control minds. it would be a symbol fight for Women to stand up against the controlling Men that dominate so many women's lives.

#9 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that Supes?

#10 Posted by Reventlov (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, it gets old having Amazon corpses constantly stacking up like cordwood.  That's one reason why I wish fewer storylines involved Themiscyra.  Amazons are easy on the eyes, but not easy on the plots. 

#11 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: Ah what about the Foot? They seem nearly inexhaustible as well, driven by ideology just like the Hand.
#12 Edited by Erik (33327 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz
I actually agree with you for the most part. I think that Wonder Woman needs much more compelling villains and stories. The only thing I want to add is a minor correction. There were 2,000 Amazons left alive after DarkSeid's invasion. Wonder Woman said that the 1,200 dead was nearly half their population. It seems Diana forgot how to count in her grievous state. 
So before the invasion, there was roughly 3,200 Amazons excluding the dozens that died while guarding the gate to the belly of Themyscira or the ones that left to form the Bana-Mighdall.... though by that time, they had gained the descendants of the original Bana-Mighdall. Not sure if those numbers are included because if I remember right, the Bana-Mighdall were not considered part of the Themyscira Amazons even though they were allowed to occupy a portion of the island.
#13 Posted by lorex (958 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that Wonder Woman needs a nemesis, be it man or woman but she desperately needs one to challenge her. As others have said here and elsewhere a good superhero needs a good rogues gallery, not a rogues quartet. I do agree that Max Lord shoud become a permanent 
Wonder Woman villain. As much as I like Wonder Woman it is the fault of the writers for not creating compelling villains which has in turn contributed to a relative lack of popularity compared to other characters.

#14 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
I still say Maxwell Lord, should be transferred to a Wonder Woman villain. I mean he and her have a viable history with one another. Max definitely has a vendetta to score.Also it would be a good metaphorical fight as well. Being that Max is a Male with the ability to control minds. it would be a symbol fight for Women to stand up against the controlling Men that dominate so many women's lives.
Seems like a good idea.

Even if I had no idea that Maxwell Lord was alive !

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.