Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Sean Bean, Eva Green Rumored For Wonder Woman Villain Roles

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://comicbook.com/2015/09/11/sean-bean-eva-green-rumored-for-wonder-woman-villain-roles/

I hope Sean is playing Ares. Heh I wanted Eva Green for Wonder Woman but having her as WW Villian would be cool

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sean Bean gonna die again

good casting tho

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

This needs to happen.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

More hope then anything.
    More hope then anything.

Not who I wanted for Ares, but he's a good choice with a huge fanbase in these type of worlds. I was hoping for Mads Mikkelsen.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fingers crossed !! Eva Green is perfect for Circe, she was born to play witches and femme fatales, she's so mesmerizingly beautiful, I hope they go all the way and dye her hair Jeffree Star pink

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

Yes, please

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By SaintWildcard

This is where my theory on why they hired Gal starts to become entirely possible. You got all these talents in this movie both on and off screen but Gal is the odd one out. I've come to the conclusion that they hired her cus she's cheap. Right now they don't have to pay her that much and have a contract that makes the increase minimum even if she were to blow up. If they hired talent they would have to pay them more and the increase would be higher. So while they can affored all this talent for these solo movies or just one off appearances, Gal's paycheck is gonna grow with the JL movies, other appearances and her solo movies. This theory applies to Ray Fisher and Ezra Miller as well.

So please don't gut me and say "well no duh", but I've never heard anyone mention this theory. In fact most people either don't know why they hired her or just assume it's cus she's hot.

Incursion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ares dies in this movie confirmed

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

shed be good for circe...hopefully they give circe some real motives now

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jphulk26

@darknightspideyfanboy said:

@saintwildcard: Mads would be a great darkseid.

sean bean is great and all, but he´s hardly a box office draw. they should go for a more well known or exciting actor for Ares. I don´t think Circe should even be in the movie, but it depends wat they are going for. Eva´s okay. Get Mads for Ares or atleast someone less obvious. Since this is a rumor I´m hoping they end up going in a better, more novel direction.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sean bean is great and all, but he´s hardly a box office draw. they should go for a more well known or exciting actor for Ares. I don´t think Circe should even be in the movie, but it depends wat they are going for. Eva´s okay. Get Mads for Ares or atleast someone less obvious. Since this is a rumor I´m hoping they end up going in a better, more novel direction.

sean is too old as well.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@jphulk26 said:

I like Mads Mikkelsen, but he's a barely known Danish actor who's most famous Stateside for one role as a Bond villain ten years ago and another role in a cancelled TV show that had terrible ratings for the entirety of its existence. You're kidding yourself if you think he's more well known than Sean Bean.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eva needs to play a villain but Id give her Baroness Von Guther. I'd go with Eddie Redmayne as Ares. For Cheetah either Ruth Wilson or Rosamund Pike. Both these gals can play Pycho.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

Sean Bean gonna die again

good casting tho

Pretty much in any film or television series that he appears on

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: Really? You think Sean too old to play Ares I don't agree with that. I do agree Circe shouldn't be in the movie Eva would do fine but I got this feeling if they are setting this in WW2 she going to play Baroness Von guther.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/9/11/is-cate-blanchett-in-wonder-woman

New rumor casting. Cate blanchett for Hippolyta would be sweet

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jphulk26

@daingermouz20 said:

Eva needs to play a villain but Id give her Baroness Von Guther. I'd go with Eddie Redmayne as Ares. For Cheetah either Ruth Wilson or Rosamund Pike. Both these gals can play Pycho.

Exactly. Eddie Redmayne is young and a far more novel and interesting choice.

@saren said:
    @jphulk26 said:

I like Mads Mikkelsen, but he's a barely known Danish actor who's most famous Stateside for one role as a Bond villain ten years ago and another role in a cancelled TV show that had terrible ratings for the entirety of its existence. You're kidding yourself if you think he's more well known than Sean Bean.

I agree there. But Sean Bean is so blah as Ares. I just think even though Mads has his issues, people would be more excited to see him as Ares than Sean Bean. Eddie Redmayne is a great choice. Just won an oscar, young, fresh faced. Or just anyone with a bit more - something. Sean Bean is a great, great actor and we´d be lucky to have him on board, honestly, but I just don´t see him as a major box office draw and you need that from the main villain of the movie if you´re going to have Gal as the lead. They did a good job with Pine, but they need to up there game even more with Ares.

@darknightspideyfanboy

Now Cate Blanchett for Hippolyta, that´s exciting. More of that please. I think Eva as Baroness Von Gunther is a much, much better idea than throwing Circe in there. Save her for second movie. If they are going to make it period Ares and Baroness Von Gunther working together is a nice combo. I had Ares and Dr. Poison working together in my film idea, but for ww1 or 2 that works.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jphulk26

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/9/11/is-cate-blanchett-in-wonder-woman

New rumor casting. Cate blanchett for Hippolyta would be sweet

I´ll tel you what I think when I see Eva Green and Sean Bean as main villains in Wonder Woman movie. I think very good quality TV movie. I do not think multimillion dollar blockbuster. It´s unfortunate bc both are great at what they do, but that´s the impression I get when I hear those names. Especially Sean Bean.

I say, get Edward Norton or maybe give Joaquin Phoenix another call. Maybe he´d be up for this more than Lex, since wonder woman is slightly more odd ball and novel.

moi245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES YES YES ! DO IT DC CMON !

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By TDK_1997

Not really keen on the idea of Green playing anybody, not a big fan of hers to be honest.

silver_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By silver_archer

@saintwildcard said:

This is where my theory on why they hired Gal starts to become entirely possible. You got all these talents in this movie both on and off screen but Gal is the odd one out. I've come to the conclusion that they hired her cus she's cheap. Right now they don't have to pay her that much and have a contract that makes the increase minimum even if she were to blow up. If they hired talent they would have to pay them more and the increase would be higher. So while they can affored all this talent for these solo movies or just one off appearances, Gal's paycheck is gonna grow with the JL movies, other appearances and her solo movies. This theory applies to Ray Fisher and Ezra Miller as well.

So please don't gut me and say "well no duh", but I've never heard anyone mention this theory. In fact most people either don't know why they hired her or just assume it's cus she's hot.

I actually agree with this. I read an article stating that in an Israeli newspaper Gal said she's only making like $300,000 for this movie. While obviously an a lister actress like apparently Jenifer Lawrence would be given the millions. That or she had great on screen chemistry with Ben Affleck. As the trailer tries to suggest.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Saren

@jphulk26 said:
    @saren said:
    @jphulk26 said:

I agree there. But Sean Bean is so blah as Ares. I just think even though Mads has his issues, people would be more excited to see him as Ares than Sean Bean. Eddie Redmayne is a great choice. Just won an oscar, young, fresh faced. Or just anyone with a bit more - something. Sean Bean is a great, great actor and we´d be lucky to have him on board, honestly, but I just don´t see him as a major box office draw and you need that from the main villain of the movie if you´re going to have Gal as the lead. They did a good job with Pine, but they need to up there game even more with Ares.

What makes you think Redmayne is a box office draw? Have you seen Jupiter Ascending? His performance there was one of the most godawful things I've ever seen in my life. It was so terrible people were speculating that it might derail his Oscar campaign the way Norbit kicked Eddie Murphy out of the running for his Dreamgirls work. Genre stuff doesn't suit him if that's any indication. Sean Bean was in Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Percy Jackson, Troy and Clash of the Titans; he was even in an Elder Scrolls game. He has eminently more recognition and legitimacy in this genre than almost anyone else.

This forum has always been under the impression that the Wonder Woman name would suffice as a box office draw even with Gal as the lead. What's changed?

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Who says anything has changed? You're responding to the opinion of a poster who does not represent the entire forum.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jphulk26

@saren:

@saren said:
    @jphulk26 said:

What makes you think Redmayne is a box office draw? Have you seen Jupiter Ascending? His performance there was one of the most godawful things I've ever seen in my life. It was so terrible people were speculating that it might derail his Oscar campaign the way Norbit kicked Eddie Murphy out of the running for his Dreamgirls work. Genre stuff doesn't suit him if that's any indication. Sean Bean was in Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Percy Jackson, Troy and Clash of the Titans; he was even in an Elder Scrolls game. He has eminently more recognition and legitimacy in this genre than almost anyone else.

This forum has always been under the impression that the Wonder Woman name would suffice as a box office draw even with Gal as the lead. What's changed?

First off, I have never EVER stated that WW name alone would suffice to be a box-office draw. WW NEEDS a good, exciting, young, sexy cast, especially now they´ve chosen Gal as the lead.

Now Sean has a good resume, but he isn´t exactly heart throb status or young or coming off just winning an oscar. Has he even been nominated? Having STARRING OSCAR WINNING ACTOR X on a poster is always cudos for any film. So no Redmayne may not be a MAJOR BOX OFFICE draw, but he is more note worthy right now and more in as an actor than Sean Bean. Personally I would like to see them hit up someone else for the role, Mikkleson, Norton or maybe Pheonix if he´ll do it or just someone who could carry their own movie. If you have A-listers or exciting ATTRACTIVE up and comers in the supporting roles for WW, general audiences are more likely to take it seriously. Maybe there is even a better choice, I´m not thinking of, but Sean Bean is a solid choice, but I don´t see him moving the metre. I don´t see people seeing Sean Bean on the poster and thinking "Hmm that´s intriguing!" Redmayne or Mikkleson are much more likely to garner that kind of response. I don´t think anyone blames Mikkleson or Redmayne for the failure of Hannibal or Jupiter Ascending respectively. Both were doomed from the start thanks to dodgy writing and or directing.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

http://comicbook.com/2015/09/11/sean-bean-eva-green-rumored-for-wonder-woman-villain-roles/

I hope Sean is playing Ares. Heh I wanted Eva Green for Wonder Woman but having her as WW Villian would be cool

I hope DC will get away from this Greek Mythology phase, so no Ares; the movie is going to be set in either WWI or WWII; I thought that was a good sign that DC was getting away from the Greek Mythology; Sean actually looks like he'd make a good revamped version of Dr. Psycho; I hope DC puts Dr. Psycho in a role in this movie.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

@saren:

@saren said:
    @jphulk26 said:

First off, I have never EVER stated that WW name alone would suffice to be a box-office draw. WW NEEDS a good, exciting, young, sexy cast, especially now they´ve chosen Gal as the lead.

Now Sean has a good resume, but he isn´t exactly heart throb status or young or coming off just winning an oscar. Has he even been nominated? Having STARRING OSCAR WINNING ACTOR X on a poster is always cudos for any film. So no Redmayne may not be a MAJOR BOX OFFICE draw, but he is more note worthy right now and more in as an actor than Sean Bean. Personally I would like to see them hit up someone else for the role, Mikkleson, Norton or maybe Pheonix if he´ll do it or just someone who could carry their own movie. If you have A-listers or exciting ATTRACTIVE up and comers in the supporting roles for WW, general audiences are more likely to take it seriously. Maybe there is even a better choice, I´m not thinking of, but Sean Bean is a solid choice, but I don´t see him moving the metre. I don´t see people seeing Sean Bean on the poster and thinking "Hmm that´s intriguing!" Redmayne or Mikkleson are much more likely to garner that kind of response. I don´t think anyone blames Mikkleson or Redmayne for the failure of Hannibal or Jupiter Ascending respectively. Both were doomed from the start thanks to dodgy writing and or directing.

Why do you think winning an Oscar makes you a box office draw? Daniel Day-Lewis is probably the greatest actor in the world and nobody considers him a box office draw. His name alone might attract the people who keep an eye on the prestige productions, but not the wider audience. Jupiter Ascending was released at the height of Redmayne's Oscar buzz and it bombed badly. Fans of Redmayne's movies and fans of genre films are often disparate groups, and the only experience the latter group has of Redmayne's forays in that territory consists of one terrible film. The people who like the kind of mythology/fantasy-oriented film that Wonder Woman would be are familiar with Sean Bean in that genre. I'd say the kind of people who turn out for LOTR are likely to take Sean Bean as Ares a lot more seriously than Eddie Redmayne. If you cast Gwyneth Paltrow as Nightwing, I'd think it was intriguing. I wouldn't watch it, but I'd think it was intriguing.

Are you kidding? Lots of people blamed Redmayne at least in part for Jupiter Ascending, and nearly every single review mentioned how awful his performance was. Hannibal's writing, directing and acting were all critically acclaimed; the directing in particular was considered better than almost everything else on television. It was cancelled because hardly anyone watched it. In fact, NBC wanted to cancel it after the first season because of the low ratings, but the critical acclaim persuaded them to give it a chance.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: idk bout that Sean being Dr. Psycho seem off and it wouldn't feel right.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: well to be honest Ben Affleck said she was the only person to impress him in the auditions. A quality director like Affleck saying that gives me confidence.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now all they have to do is get rid of Gadot.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

EVA GREEN!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would take these rumors as worth a grain of salt. El Mayimbe's known for spouting off random rumors with no backup and end up being false. (i.e Wonder Woman being Kryptonian, Joe Manganiello being deathstroke in Suicide Squad, Chris Pine taking the Hal Jordan offer). So I wouldn't get our hopes up/down depending on your view of the cast or characters.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sean Bean is an excellent choice as Ares. He's more recognized overseas it seems. Never heard of Mads Mikell...?

Sad that Eva Green as the villain is a lot more beautiful than Wonder Woman. I mean look at those gorgeous eyes! Very enchanting.

Lastly, I hope there's a lot of Greek mythology. Zeus, Ares, Athena, it will be awesome. If they have Dr. Psycho or Dr. Poison as the villain, I will be majorly disappointed. It screams yawnfest and talkfest.

silver_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: *claps slowly* someone gets it

Nope. She came cheap. I agree with Saint_Wildcard. I remembered reading that Gadot's only making a few hundred thousand. Someone considered an a lister would charge at least 5 million or more. So obviously Gadot it is. I'm willing to bet that out of the other actresses chosen she was probably willing to make less. Or BM/WW and Gadot's chemistry with Affleck. I lean towards the first option.

With that out of the way, they can save up budget for bigger stars and better props.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Hmm, if Mads was to be involved, I'd think he'd make an excellent Hades.

Sean Bean is an excellent choice as Ares. He's more recognized overseas it seems. Never heard of Mads Mikell...?

So either you are joking or you haven't been watching alot of movies or TV lately :) If not, look up Casino Royal (Le Chiffre), Clash of the Titans (Draco), Hannibal (TV, Hannibal Lecter).

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eva Green <3

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Eva Green would be great as Circe. Actor Kevin Durand would make a great Ares.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I want Eva as Strife! ^_^

Or Cheetah.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.