SDCC 2012: Mystery Art Challenge: Wonder Woman and a...?

Posted by G-Man (18851 posts) - - Show Bio
Please use a flash or html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
00:00:00
Sorry, but you can't access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

#1 Posted by Bestostero (5590 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman totally could've deflected that with her bracelet, just saying... lol

#2 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2256 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this gets posted on youtube.

#3 Posted by BlueLanternBeast (73 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite is Joel Gomez's! I was waiting for someone to do that one

#4 Posted by Bestostero (5590 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLanternBeast said:

My favorite is Joel Gomez's! I was waiting for someone to do that one

Francis Manapul did a similar concept, but with Doc G in it too lol

#5 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Giarusso and Garbowska tie for first place in this challenge for me. And I hate to say it but Buccellato's was my least favorite. Don't get me wrong, it was great but looked like it had the least amount of detail. Just saying.

#6 Posted by Outside_85 (10227 posts) - - Show Bio

Just wondering, after you have them do these challenges, are you allowed to take photoes of the result? And how much are those sketchbooks (I get the impression they are sold off when the con is ending or are filled)?.

Maybe for the next time CV should have a 'send in suggestions' option :)

#7 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

looks good

#8 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (758 posts) - - Show Bio

Surprised no one else thought of this:

#9 Posted by garrettsgonewild (78 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Nguyen is such a great artist!!!!

#10 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. I love this year's art challenge the best. Wonder Woman and a cake. Love it. Everyone's art look amazing. I thought the one with Wonder Woman as a baby was really cute. Also, really like the first one and francis manapul's ww.

Damn, now I can't wait for WW to appear in Superman, Flash, GL and Aquaman books.

#11 Posted by ParaDemise (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Nauck's drawing is my favorite. Nothing wrong with a little comic mischief. In yer face, baby! Happy 71st birthday, you senile old hag! Oh, and Agnes is just as cute as her own drawings.

#12 Posted by Mandrewgora (299 posts) - - Show Bio

always my favorite content from cons.

#13 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (530 posts) - - Show Bio

Really like Nguyen, Gomez, and Manapul.

I've been wondering if these artists draw these challenges for free.

#14 Posted by Verse (13 posts) - - Show Bio

No cake can contain or lie to Wonder Woman!

#15 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew someone was going to do the jumping out of the cake bit, but I was surprised to see two people do that.

That was my first time seeing Agnes Garbowska's art. She' has a really adorable style.

#16 Posted by zombietag (1483 posts) - - Show Bio

GOOD ONE G-MAN!! piece of cake i get it i get it

#17 Posted by G-Man (18851 posts) - - Show Bio

@FoxxFireArt said:

That was my first time seeing Agnes Garbowska's art. She' has a really adorable style.

She has some web comics. Mat featured one a few weeks ago.

http://agnesgarbowska.com/

#18 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL at Manapul using you in his picture. RESURRECT DR. GUERRERO!!!!

#19 Posted by crazyflashfan11 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked: Manapul's, Garbowska's, Giarrusso's, and.... wel, hell THERE ALL GOOD.

#20 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed the variations on this one!

#21 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

Firstly - AMAZING! Probably the best video so far.

It was so cool to not only see how each artist has such a different style at the end, but each one of them draws from start to finish in such different ways.

I love that Brian Buccelatto only had FLASH colors with him ROFL - I would have asked him to color Manapul's drawing

- Only request, tripod next time :)

#22 Posted by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

Gomez and Manapul did exactly what I was thinking when I first heard G-man say the challenge.

#23 Posted by Trodorne (2498 posts) - - Show Bio

: (response to closing statement in the video)

Even he thought that was Un-BEAR-able
#24 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2256 posts) - - Show Bio

Do they do these sketches for free? Really great stuff this year. Kicking myself for all the artists I didn't get sketches from, wish I saw this before the con... which I know was impossible.

#25 Posted by G-Man (18851 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArtisticNeedham: Most artists do commissions. That's why they're in Artist Alley. They have to pay for their tables.

#26 Posted by Mucklefluga (2602 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: How much do they roughly cost?

#27 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. That was really cool.

#28 Posted by vietthreat (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Manapul keeps Doc G Alive. Great artwork from everyone but I especially liked Agnes Garbowskas art. Put a big smile on my face.

#29 Posted by Surkit (11603 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO! After the first six minutes I thought to myself, 'How did NOBODY think to have her pop out of a cake' lol

#30 Posted by G-Man (18851 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mucklefluga: It varies. Some artist will do free headshots, if they have the time. Then it depends on the type of commission, just pencils, inks, etc. And of course how in demand they are. Some artist do commissions through their websites. I always list their tumblr's and blogs when I do the weekly Awesome Art Picks. I'll also include scans of these there on Saturday.

#31 Posted by hunter5024 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Agnes' pictures. I would pay all of the money to get a piece from her. Too bad I can't go to a convention.

#32 Posted by GValo (14 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man Yay it's up! I've been waiting for this since you said on twitter that you would thinking about it and already had the character in mind

Man I was HOPING someone would do the Lasso of Truth with the cake as a nod to Portal's "The Cake is a Lie" but the one who used it did it with very little detail. If I wasn't a comic book fan I wouldn't have known it was suppose to be WW.

#33 Posted by Whiskeyjack (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I was almost concerned there for a while that none of the artists would opt for an interpretation of WW jumping out of a cake.

Agnes Garbowska's interpretation wins for me. I first found Agnes' work through CV's Awesome Art Picks a few months back and follow her tumblr now. Looking forward to picking up a piece of her artwork at the Toronto Fan Expo next month.

#34 Posted by MrMazz (1060 posts) - - Show Bio

surprised no one miss heard and thought it was Wonder Woman and a Cape

#35 Posted by Queso6p4 (1462 posts) - - Show Bio

That was quite enjoyable to watch.

#36 Posted by RoTheKid (254 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved Todd's, Agnes', Francis', and Joel's! :D

#37 Posted by Kayrack (5 posts) - - Show Bio

HAHA, very well done

#38 Posted by Pokeysteve (8647 posts) - - Show Bio

These were all great. Was anyone else bothered by Agnes' ONE unpainted finger nail lol

#39 Posted by Nvera (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Gomez was my favorite. They are all so talented. I always look forward for the challenge drawings.

#40 Posted by xer789 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

as Eddie implied I'm blown away that a person able to profit $7977 in four weeks on the internet. did you look at this site NuttyRichdotcom

#41 Posted by DonFelipe (1280 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome challenge! My first ideas were "in the face" and "jumping out of the cake". I like all 3 results based on this idea. Nguyen, Nauck, Gomez and Manapul are my favorites. The idea using the lasso is great, too, but I don't like the result. It's actually cool but the lasso looks weird - the lasso itself as well as how it goes around the cake.

: How about adding song credits? I'd really enjoyed the music in this challenge, too. Thanks in advance! Oh, and I'd really like to see Fiona Staples being challenged...

#42 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

I DEMAND THE NEXT CHALLENGE TO BE AQUAMAN AND A POGO STICK! THIS I COMMAND!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.