Ranking the Wonder Woman costumes

  • 63 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman is my favourite character (you should all know that), and I like all of her costumes, but I do like some more than others.  Here is my list from favourite to least favourite:

Mod Girl

 
This is my absolute favourite costume, although this is is not one costume per se, but rather variations on the same theme.  It usually involves a white body suit, but more things might be added.  My favourite part about this?   The variety and functionality of it.  I know the argument about how Wonder Woman doesn't need a costume which covers her very much because she is resistant to harm (actually I wrote this onto the Wonder Woman wiki page), but still as a female icon its nice to see her almost completely covered. 


Deodato Biker Chick
 
This sort of goes from one extreme to the other.  Although this one might be more functional than the traditional one, it is also a lot more revealing.  This one comes from when she lost the right to be Wonder Woman and thus lost her tiara (which I wrote recently in another blog shouldn't have happened).  What I like about this one is the colour scheme.  Light blue is an underutilized colour in comics and it looks great here.  Also tying into the Perez explanation she keeps the battle crest of Wonder Woman because its kind of her birthright.


Newest Version (600 reboot)

 
I wrote a whole blog on why I like this one.  In short its functional and fashionable.


The Original

 

A lot of people on this site think that I don't like the original.  That is far from the truth I still really like this costume.  A big part of why I like it without thinking it is too revealing was the explanation of its meaning in the Perez arc 'Challenge of the Gods.'  (issues 10-13 vol. 2)

 

Space Pirate

   

 


This was during a story arc in volume 2 and although it looks all right, is also kind of hokey. 

#1 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

For me its all about the original, though the others are indeed great if you ask me.  

#2 Posted by thehummingbird (3380 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus: 

I love the original because it so iconic, however, I am also a big fan of the newest wonder woman costume for ad Razzie sad it is very functional and realistic compared to others, though if she was fighting for real their would still be a whole lot of flashing going on...>_> It is still more functional than most. 
#3 Posted by joshmightbe (25051 posts) - - Show Bio

The Original would be perfect if had pants cause currently it looks like a bathing suit, if they could combine the new one with the original I'd be happy

#4 Posted by UltraHeroix (155 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a fan of the original. It's iconic and always been my favorite ever since I saw Linda Carter when I was a kid.

#5 Posted by fACEmelter88 (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Give her pants, shorts or something other than the barely there undies of the original (its a hot look but really c'mon she barely has any clothes on) but i really like this latest costume that showed up in 600

#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13643 posts) - - Show Bio


i like em all.

 

the original is iconic, the mod is flashy and campy in a good way, the biker one is edgey and the new one is stylish and practical

Online
#7 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio


The original.

I really don't care for that 90's one.

#8 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

I like em all equally.

#9 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio
@thehummingbird: I agree with you on that point! For me iconic always works, especially when Diana is drawn by my favorite artists as demonstrated here: 

Ed Benes 

or 

Adam Hughes 

or 

 Guillem March 

Three different artists, three iconic looks :)
#10 Edited by WDW (1516 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:


  A big part of why I like it without thinking it is too revealing was the explanation of its meaning in the Perez arc 'Challenge of the Gods.'  (issues 10-13 vol. 2)
"

I actually found the explanation given in the comics seriously lacking since that would mean Wonder Woman's costume should look like....(BELOW). The fact that she goes into tarturus (for the challenge of the Gods) with that costume (below) and comes out with it ripped apart until it resembles her classic look was terrible writing and a terrible excuse to bring back the classic costume after the 1987 reboot by Perez. They should have redsigned Wonder Woman's costume in 1987 or kept her in the classic costume with her classic history in World War 2.:P (I dont like Wonder Womans classic history much)



#11 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@WDW said:
" @RazzaTazz said:

  A big part of why I like it without thinking it is too revealing was the explanation of its meaning in the Perez arc 'Challenge of the Gods.'  (issues 10-13 vol. 2)
"
I actually found the explanation given in the comics seriously lacking since that would mean Wonder Woman's costume should look like this (BELOW). The fact that she goes into tarturus (for the challenge of the Gods) with that costume (below) and comes out with it ripped apart until it resembles her classic look was terrible writing and a terrible excuse to bring back the classic costume after the 1987 reboot by Perez. They should have redsigned Wonder Woman in 1987 or kept her in the classic costume with her classic history in World War 2.:P "
wow that sounds super picky.
#12 Edited by WDW (1516 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

" @thehummingbird: I agree with you on that point! For me iconic always works, especially when Diana is drawn by my favorite artists as demonstrated here: 


Ed Benes 
or 


Adam Hughes 

or 

 Guillem March 

Three different artists, three iconic looks :)
"

Good ARTIST. However, its a TERRIBLE depiction of Wonder Woman. In my opinion
#13 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@WDW said:
" @RedheadedAtrocitus said:

" @thehummingbird: I agree with you on that point! For me iconic always works, especially when Diana is drawn by my favorite artists as demonstrated here: 


Ed Benes 
or 


Adam Hughes 

or 

 Guillem March 

Three different artists, three iconic looks :)
"

Good ARTIST. However, its a TERRIBLE depiction of Wonder Woman. In my opinion "
wow again you are super picky. I think you over analyze everything. you will never know how to have fun if things this cool bother you.
#14 Edited by WDW (1516 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I said in my opinion. And not sure how over analysing comes into play here. Art never really bothers me. These are fine pictures great for hanging up in your bedroom or wearing on a T -Shirt. But I would hate to see these depictions as the standard in her comics/animation and live action. They don't fit the character.

 

The pictures remind me of this scene in Rucka's run. Again my opinion.

 


 

 


 

#15 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@WDW said:
"

Well I said in my opinion. And not sure how over analysing comes into play here. These are fine pictures great for hanging up in your bedroom or wearing on a T -Shirt. But I would hate to see these depictions as the standard in her comics. They don't fit the character.    

"
why because they show emotion?... instead of a cardboard, cookie cutter, female warrior?
#16 Edited by WDW (1516 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:

" @WDW said:

"

Well I said in my opinion. And not sure how over analysing comes into play here. These are fine pictures great for hanging up in your bedroom or wearing on a T -Shirt. But I would hate to see these depictions as the standard in her comics. They don't fit the character.    

"
why because they show emotion?... instead of a cardboard, cookie cutter, female warrior? "
Well it does not matter why. Will any reason I give make you feel at peace? This is not an attempt to bruise your ego. The artist is talented but I don't like the depiction. Its still ok for you to like it, really it is. If that's how you see Wonder Woman then so be it.
#17 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@WDW said:
" @Caligula said:

" @WDW said:

"

Well I said in my opinion. And not sure how over analysing comes into play here. These are fine pictures great for hanging up in your bedroom or wearing on a T -Shirt. But I would hate to see these depictions as the standard in her comics. They don't fit the character.    

"
why because they show emotion?... instead of a cardboard, cookie cutter, female warrior? "
Well it does not matter why? Will any reason I give make you feel at peace? This is not an attempt to bruise your ego. The artist is talented but I don't like the depiction. Its still ok for you to like it, really it is. If that's how you see Wonder Woman then so be it. "
I just think you are taking things to far in your fandom.
#18 Posted by WDW (1516 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" @WDW said:
" @Caligula said:

" @WDW said:

"

Well I said in my opinion. And not sure how over analysing comes into play here. These are fine pictures great for hanging up in your bedroom or wearing on a T -Shirt. But I would hate to see these depictions as the standard in her comics. They don't fit the character.    

"
why because they show emotion?... instead of a cardboard, cookie cutter, female warrior? "
Well it does not matter why? Will any reason I give make you feel at peace? This is not an attempt to bruise your ego. The artist is talented but I don't like the depiction. Its still ok for you to like it, really it is. If that's how you see Wonder Woman then so be it. "
I just think you are taking things to far in your fandom. "
How exactly? By not liking the depictions of Wonder Woman that you do? I think your ego is bruised. Not everyone is going to automatically like what you like because you think its cool.
#19 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@WDW said:
" @Caligula said:
" @WDW said:
" @Caligula said:

" @WDW said:

"

Well I said in my opinion. And not sure how over analysing comes into play here. These are fine pictures great for hanging up in your bedroom or wearing on a T -Shirt. But I would hate to see these depictions as the standard in her comics. They don't fit the character.    

"
why because they show emotion?... instead of a cardboard, cookie cutter, female warrior? "
Well it does not matter why? Will any reason I give make you feel at peace? This is not an attempt to bruise your ego. The artist is talented but I don't like the depiction. Its still ok for you to like it, really it is. If that's how you see Wonder Woman then so be it. "
I just think you are taking things to far in your fandom. "
How exactly? By not liking the depictions of Wonder Woman that you do? I think your ego is bruised. Not everyone is going to automatically like what you like because you think its cool. "
no. it's not that. It's that you nit-pick your own fan-girl character to death. I don't care what you think of the images or the costumes. thats irrelevant. what I saw was a depressed fan-girl whining over something minor.

now you are free to do that. that's your right. I'm just telling you that if you don't relax life is going to disappoint you... always. I'm sorry for sharing my take on what I saw you doing. you go on ahead now dear. I apologize for even saying anything to you. bye.
#20 Posted by WDW (1516 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" @WDW said:
" @RazzaTazz said:

  A big part of why I like it without thinking it is too revealing was the explanation of its meaning in the Perez arc 'Challenge of the Gods.'  (issues 10-13 vol. 2)
"
I actually found the explanation given in the comics seriously lacking since that would mean Wonder Woman's costume should look like this (BELOW). The fact that she goes into tarturus (for the challenge of the Gods) with that costume (below) and comes out with it ripped apart until it resembles her classic look was terrible writing and a terrible excuse to bring back the classic costume after the 1987 reboot by Perez. They should have redsigned Wonder Woman in 1987 or kept her in the classic costume with her classic history in World War 2.:P "
wow that sounds super picky. "
As apposed to critical?
#21 Posted by WDW (1516 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" @WDW said:
" @Caligula said:
" @WDW said:
" @Caligula said:

" @WDW said:

"

Well I said in my opinion. And not sure how over analysing comes into play here. These are fine pictures great for hanging up in your bedroom or wearing on a T -Shirt. But I would hate to see these depictions as the standard in her comics. They don't fit the character.    

"
why because they show emotion?... instead of a cardboard, cookie cutter, female warrior? "
Well it does not matter why? Will any reason I give make you feel at peace? This is not an attempt to bruise your ego. The artist is talented but I don't like the depiction. Its still ok for you to like it, really it is. If that's how you see Wonder Woman then so be it. "
I just think you are taking things to far in your fandom. "
How exactly? By not liking the depictions of Wonder Woman that you do? I think your ego is bruised. Not everyone is going to automatically like what you like because you think its cool. "
no. it's not that. It's that you nit-pick your own fan-girl character to death. I don't care what you think of the images or the costumes. thats irrelevant. what I saw was a depressed fan-girl whining over something minor.now you are free to do that. that's your right. I'm just telling you that if you don't relax life is going to disappoint you... always. I'm sorry for sharing my take on what I saw you doing. you go on ahead now dear. I apologize for even saying anything to you. bye. "
LOL You say I am over Analyzing? When you are actually trying to psychoanalyze me because of a comment I made about Wonder Woman's costume on a comic book forum. Are you a Dr or something? probably not. Everything I have said is relevant to discussions about comics on this thread. I think you can take your foot out of your mouth now :P
#22 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@WDW said:
" @Caligula said:
" @WDW said:
" @Caligula said:
" @WDW said:
" @Caligula said:

" @WDW said:

"

Well I said in my opinion. And not sure how over analysing comes into play here. These are fine pictures great for hanging up in your bedroom or wearing on a T -Shirt. But I would hate to see these depictions as the standard in her comics. They don't fit the character.    

"
why because they show emotion?... instead of a cardboard, cookie cutter, female warrior? "
Well it does not matter why? Will any reason I give make you feel at peace? This is not an attempt to bruise your ego. The artist is talented but I don't like the depiction. Its still ok for you to like it, really it is. If that's how you see Wonder Woman then so be it. "
I just think you are taking things to far in your fandom. "
How exactly? By not liking the depictions of Wonder Woman that you do? I think your ego is bruised. Not everyone is going to automatically like what you like because you think its cool. "
no. it's not that. It's that you nit-pick your own fan-girl character to death. I don't care what you think of the images or the costumes. thats irrelevant. what I saw was a depressed fan-girl whining over something minor.now you are free to do that. that's your right. I'm just telling you that if you don't relax life is going to disappoint you... always. I'm sorry for sharing my take on what I saw you doing. you go on ahead now dear. I apologize for even saying anything to you. bye. "
LOL You say I am over Analyzing? When you are actually trying to psychoanalyze me because of a comment I made about Wonder Woman's costume on a comic book forum. Are you a Dr or something? probably not. Everything I have said is relevant to discussions about comics on this thread. I think you can take your foot out of your mouth now :P "
wow somebody's got them feelings hurted, cause they were pegged right.
#23 Edited by WDW (1516 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:

" @WDW said:

" @Caligula said:

" @WDW said:

" @Caligula said:
" @WDW said:
" @Caligula said:

" @WDW said:

"

Well I said in my opinion. And not sure how over analysing comes into play here. These are fine pictures great for hanging up in your bedroom or wearing on a T -Shirt. But I would hate to see these depictions as the standard in her comics. They don't fit the character.    

"
why because they show emotion?... instead of a cardboard, cookie cutter, female warrior? "
Well it does not matter why? Will any reason I give make you feel at peace? This is not an attempt to bruise your ego. The artist is talented but I don't like the depiction. Its still ok for you to like it, really it is. If that's how you see Wonder Woman then so be it. "
I just think you are taking things to far in your fandom. "
How exactly? By not liking the depictions of Wonder Woman that you do? I think your ego is bruised. Not everyone is going to automatically like what you like because you think its cool. "
no. it's not that. It's that you nit-pick your own fan-girl character to death. I don't care what you think of the images or the costumes. thats irrelevant. what I saw was a depressed fan-girl whining over something minor.now you are free to do that. that's your right. I'm just telling you that if you don't relax life is going to disappoint you... always. I'm sorry for sharing my take on what I saw you doing. you go on ahead now dear. I apologize for even saying anything to you. bye. "
LOL You say I am over Analyzing? When you are actually trying to psychoanalyze me because of a comment I made about Wonder Woman's costume on a comic book forum. Are you a Dr or something? probably not. Everything I have said is relevant to discussions about comics on this thread. I think you can take your foot out of your mouth now :P "
wow somebody's got them feelings hurted, cause they were pegged right. "
YES boo hoo and I want an apology LOL hopefully you are having as much fun as me.

Anyway I made an opinionated  comment based on my preference  just like everyone else does on this forum. Instead of making comments of your own you decided to challenge my opinion/preference? Honestly what did you think that was going to accomplish?
#24 Posted by Batcrow (232 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like this picture


I quite like the modern costume, but there should be a fixed version of it. Whenever I see it in other comics, it is SO inconsistent. Like in JL Generation Lost # 23... one panel she has the collar on, next she forgets one of her bracelets, next the bracelets don't have the red gloves anymore, etc etc.
And I'm still confused about whether the bracelets are supposed to be tied up by laces or is it covered by metal? And what if she wants to use the underside of the bracelets? 

Still...I like how it works in modern urban settings.

#25 Posted by StarKiller809 (1239 posts) - - Show Bio


I always will love the original. When ever the coustume first changed I was really scared that I couldn't like it, but I have learn to love it.

 

1st- Original

2nd- 600 Rebot

3rd- Deco Biker

4th- Modern
I don't like the modern one at all.  

#26 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

I  really really like the biker one
#27 Posted by Evpraksiya (260 posts) - - Show Bio

I won't post about the biker chick and the star sapphire outfit -_-' that's just too bad...the fashion ones aren't really WW 


originals were good..don't look at the bicker fuck*d up one..the Diana prince one is a little too white -_-

that armor is great, plus the blackest night one too..and we've got some fine ones too in Ends of the earth. 


 recommend that story arc.


#28 Posted by yeopop (631 posts) - - Show Bio

I pick the original one.
#29 Posted by Unwritten Duck (110 posts) - - Show Bio

Overall when it comes to Wonder Woman's costume's I prefer her armored variant's to her original costumes. I've never been the biggest fan of that costume, cause it looks like she's wearing a swimsuit into battle. I like her newest costume the best to be honest. There's been a lot of hate toward it, but I get more of a Amazon Warrior Princess feeling when I see her in this costume:


Wonder Woman

 
As opposed to this costume.


Now there are several things about the new costume I could nitpick (specifically the boots and arm straps), but as a matter of preference I like the new costume the most. 
#30 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio


@WDW

 

I think in the Challenge of the Gods diana went into Tartarus with her costume underneath.  What got wrecked was the armour she was wearing over it. 

#31 Posted by super_psycho (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't why but i hate that biker costume

#32 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio
@super_psycho: I think it was ok, but I probably like it too much because it was associated with a period of amazing stories
#33 Posted by super_psycho (2792 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
@super_psycho: I think it was ok, but I probably like it too much because it was associated with a period of amazing stories
I know.. I always respect your opinion but that costume isn't for Wonder woman... She looks less like a warrior and more like a wannabe
#34 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio
@super_psycho: Well it is actually a far more practical costume
#35 Posted by super_psycho (2792 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
@super_psycho: Well it is actually a far more practical costume
Can't argue with that.. 
#36 Posted by BKole (506 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly think that while the rest of the Costumes are Iconic and all, this is a great new look for Wondy. If they put the gauntlets on, and the W on the bust it'd be even better!

This is the Diana I want to see more of.
#37 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio
@BKole: Granted that is one of my favourites as well, but was not really a Wonder Woman costume.  It does pay homage to the mod girl phase costumes which I did include in my list
#38 Posted by BKole (506 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: Aye, but as I said, I'd add in a few other details to make it more Iconic. At any rate, its better than a pair of buttocks being separated by a star spangled Thong. I much prefer alternate/street clothes costumes to spandex stuff anyway.

#39 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio
@BKole: You should maybe track down my first ever blog here on CV, basically was an examination of what you are talking about.  I can find it for you if you are interested
#40 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

I quite liked this one.

#41 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04: that was in my original list ;)
#42 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: I just wanted to post the picture cos I like the art so much :) I think I posted a picture agessss ago of some WW fan art which sort of was like the Mod Girl costume that was pretty cool aswl.

#43 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04: I actually like the new 52 version pretty well too, but wish they had kept the pants
#44 Posted by Billy Batson (58275 posts) - - Show Bio

I might like the current one the best.
BB

#45 Posted by victoriancuckoo (228 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her look with pants

#46 Posted by Hardyman1306 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@victoriancuckoo said:

I like her look with pants

Yet your avatar has a picture of her with the "bathing suit" :P

Well, seeing that I'm a male who has never cross-dressed, I know nothing about the differences of wearing pants and a whatever-the-original-lower-clothing-piece-is, so I can't comment on functionality and so on. What I can comment on is the appearance, and yes, I think the original looked more attractive, but some artists took it to far, and made her look like a prostitute: e.g. The Original

The cut of the bottom-thingy is way too high, she should at least wear a hot pants kind of thing.

But what bothers me is the colour of it. She is a princess, so she should look royal, and the black looks too trashy IMO; I like the change from gold to silver, and keeping the red top-whatever-it-is, but the black makes the pants look like leather, and that is the last thing I think about when I hear "princess". They should keep it royal blue, because well, royal=princess. And I'm not pro-American, or an American-kiss ass (hell, I think the demonym should be United-Statean :P), but the stars look fine, and the whole Diana Trevor story is quite interesting.

Anyway, that was my take on WW's costume.

Oh, and the should take away that bloody choker, she really does look like a dominatrix (and yes, her creator was maybe into that, but that shouldn't mean she should be)

Okay, finished :)

#47 Posted by victoriancuckoo (228 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04 I LOVE this look!
#48 Posted by victoriancuckoo (228 posts) - - Show Bio
Hardyman1306 it just doesn't make sense, she has bracelets that can deflect bullets, why not wear that over your chest and legs!
#49 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio
@victoriancuckoo: Well that is explained in story, as the bracelets are made from the Aegis
#50 Posted by The Impersonator (5592 posts) - - Show Bio

Number 1!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.