Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Problems with Wonder Woman fans

• 68 results
    Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

@wolverine08: *dramatic light dimming* Dun dun DUNNNN!!!!!!!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rulerofthisuniverse: So it begins. So. It. Begins. *Looks bravely at hoards of Diana fans preparing to attack*

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

CHARGE!!! CHARGE, CHARGE, CHARGE!!!!

*runs towards WW fans wielding bloody axes and steps back, tugging on imaginary shirt collar*

Uhhh.... *runs in opposite direction, leaving Wolverine08 to fend for himself*

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Wolverine008
    RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

People complaining over ww killing maxwell here, people complaining over supes killing zod there.... Face it people are gonna be pansies

Wonder what will happen if Batman kills Joker....

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42: I agree with you 100%. As long as Wonder Woman's origin and abilities remain in tact I am completely fine with her adventures.

I like when writers test the limits of the character.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By jphulk26

The big problem I have with Wonder Woman fans/fanboys (fangirls) in my experience is that a lot of them (that I've met. I'm not trying to start a war with this, and most WW fans probably don't do this, it's probably just a fanboy thing. Don't take it personally) interpret everything to be secretly sexist. Superman/Wonder Woman relationship= WW standing in the shadow of a man. Wonder Woman gets beaten by a man= a hidden statement about men being superior to women. Sometimes it just gets to be a bit much.

I´m a Wonder Woman fan and I agree with you. But I have to say at the same time when you start to see it happening all the time, it does start to get annoying. Compare Ares in Injustice Gods to Senestro or some other character they´re trying to make out as badass. To be honest I´m surprised and happy Ares got in there. But he´s so weak, and doesn´t have the cool power set we know him to have. WW the same. This is not just a problem of Wondey though so we shouldn´t always make it a sexist thing. Th more you go into it Flash is treated the same. No villain in Injustice at all for example and others are. They just have this fetich for BM; SM and recently GL. Even though to me GL is by far the least interesting JL member and its seems general audiences agree, as his was the least successful live adaptation to general audiences of Flash, WW or GL. I can defend that if I need to.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By Bezza

The problem with Wonder Woman, like Superman is the burden of history. They have over 70 years of history each and are so iconic for various reasons. WWs TV series hangs over her like a huge cloud. I really think there is no way you could make a WW film in the vein of the Lynda Carter WW, because it would be too cheesy. I suggested a few changes a month or two back to make her more acceptable to a modern movie audience and did not have a positive response. Similar with Superman and MOS, where most moviegoers I have spoken to loved the film, but the superman fans are split 50/50 between love and hate of the movie because Superman kills and the other changes made to his character. I wonder if its partly because of Wonder Woman fans and their expectations that the bosses of DC are holding back on giving us a movie.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

The problem with Wonder Woman, like Superman is the burden of history. They have over 70 years of history each and are so iconic for various reasons. WWs TV series hangs over her like a huge cloud. I really think there is no way you could make a WW film in the vein of the Lynda Carter WW, because it would be too cheesy. I suggested a few changes a month or two back to make her more acceptable to a modern movie audience and did not have a positive response. Similar with Superman and MOS, where most moviegoers I have spoken to loved the film, but the superman fans are split 50/50 between love and hate of the movie because Superman kills and the other changes made to his character. I wonder if its partly because of Wonder Woman fans and their expectations that the bosses of DC are holding back on giving us a movie.

WW fans need to accept that simplicity is the key and a WW movie should be a window into her mythos so that if people are interested they will pick up her books. The animated movie is a great example of that.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a fussy Wonder Woman fan, I go with the flow.

I love the New 52 Diana.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By entropy_aegis

Inferiority complex,anything a man can do WW can do as well cause she is totally the epitome of female empowerment that's the motto of her fanbase,and this is why her stories tend to suck. The writers become less interested in writing a good comic and more in trying to make sure no man is shown to be stronger,smarter,more skilled etc cause then they'd be labelled sexists.

Example:

Wondy fans complained when Orion was able to recover much more quickly from the First Borns attacks. Oh geez I dunno maybe he DOES have superior healing powers...no wait not maybe it's the truth and his healing powers are amplified by the motherbox even further,if anything Orion fans should complain about how Orion has only been using his fists,the astro force and the mother box lay forgotten.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when the story is not good enough and the action is no good enough,they will complain.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inferiority complex,anything a man can do WW can do as well cause she is totally the epitome of female empowerment that's the motto of her fanbase,and this is why her stories tend to suck. The writers become less interested in writing a good comic and more in trying to make sure no man is shown to be stronger,smarter,more skilled etc cause then they'd be labelled sexists.

Example:

Wondy fans complained when Orion was able to recover much more quickly from the First Borns attacks. Oh geez I dunno maybe he DOES have superior healing powers...no wait not maybe it's the truth and his healing powers are amplified by the motherbox even further,if anything Orion fans should complain about how Orion has only been using his fists,the astro force and the mother box lay forgotten.

false,wonder woman has fought males stronger than her all the time in the past and most fans didn't complain,ion perez run,ares a male god was too powerful for her,but his run is one of the most loved by fans,superman has been portrayed as strongerr most of the time thorough their carers and most wonder woman's fans don't mind,so get your facts right.

azzarello's run has divided her fans,many people like me don't like the never ending drama about the baby,the idea of making amozons rapists and killers and lñeaving her original cast and villans behind,and the lack of action,in the past,we used to get a well developed stories,with well developed fights in the right moments,all that is gone too,you want a good run?,with a good,interesting story and good action?,you have perez run,ruka run and simone runs,those are runs with true quality.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MatteoPG

@gokuwarrior: DC only care about money.. Serious

.... every company only cares about money. It's some writers that care about the characters, and it's difficult for them to keep doing their job like they would like to and to please the company at the same time.

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By whygamespot

@matteopg: but in WW's case, there's no obvious reverse relation between her dual nature and the sales. Her acting less compulsive and violent would not hurt JL comic sales, for example. At least the relativeness isn't so clear that the writer needs to keep avoiding to show her carin side. Those people who think that WW should be a b!tch will not buy her title anyway, nor will they give up the comics with her in it just because she turns out not a b!itch, because she's not that important to them. On the other hand, I've already given up Injustice comic because they've ruined her character. I believe a lot other WW fans will do similar things. The issue here is not 'a good WW hurts dc's sales' but 'a bad WW hurt dc's sales' and 'some writers are incompetent'.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By lykopis

Well,

Maybe one day all WW fans can join that perfect world where everyone likes the Man of Steel and every X-men movie, a Catwoman who kills, Power Girl's new 52 debut costume, Batman and Superman killing, the high quality of DC stories and the wonderful racial diversity of mainstream comic book titles.

WW fans on all sides keep the title selling and the character relevant, so I see no problem with that. If a difference of opinion is annoying, then the annoyed parties have a perverse pleasure of punishing themselves reviewing message boards.

Psst... if you are terribly bothered by a differing opinion on WW enough to speak out about, you too are probably a WW fan. Welcome to this "problem" society.

I like this. It's funny because it's true.

The big problem I have with Wonder Woman fans/fanboys (fangirls) in my experience is that a lot of them (that I've met. I'm not trying to start a war with this, and most WW fans probably don't do this, it's probably just a fanboy thing. Don't take it personally) interpret everything to be secretly sexist. Superman/Wonder Woman relationship= WW standing in the shadow of a man. Wonder Woman gets beaten by a man= a hidden statement about men being superior to women. Sometimes it just gets to be a bit much.

I don't really identify with Wonder Woman as a feminist -- I do enjoy the character though but it almost sounds as if I have to hold her up to a standard of "beating" the guys and that sucks. She is an incredibly strong and powerful superhero, so I want her to be shown as an incredibly strong and powerful superhero -- I don't care what the gender she is fighting against. The problem I have with Superman and Wonder Woman being together is that yes -- she is being placed under a shadow -- I don't see her being depicted as someone who is pining over a potential love -- just as a half-goddess who never ate a restaurant before like a "normal" person like Clark does.

Anyway -- that is for another thread. I've never had a problem with Wonder Woman being up against a male villain -- I have a problem with her being regarded as arm candy and that is a very real concern for her fans who don't want her overshadowed by another extremely popular character. I would have claimed the same for Superman but it appears (so far) that this relationship has served up drama and angst for his character and storyline, not so much for hers. That annoys me -- as a comic fan, not as a female comic fan pointing out potential sexism. (Not that you said that -- just kind of adding my two pence).

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is what Wonder Woman should tell to her fan base.
    This is what Wonder Woman should tell to her fan base.

Its not Wonder Woman, is her fan base.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.