Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8717 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Pre new 52 Wonder Woman

Subject87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I really enjoy the New 52 Wonder Woman comics, but I was hoping to read some more pre 52 stuff, any suggestions? And is the animated movie worth watching?

MisterWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The animated movie is AMAZING. I love the dc animated universe, the movies and tv shows, and as a Wonder Woman fan I would say her movie is the best thing they've put out. As far as her pre-52 run goes, I would say the must read stuff is the first 7 issues by George Perez (Gods and Mortals tpb), the saga of Artemis by William Moessner-Loebs (The Contest tpb and The Challenge of Artemis tpb), and after that I would say the highlight of the series were the runs of Phil Jiminez (Paradise Lost tpb and Paradise Found tpb) and Greg Rucka (Down to Earth tpb, Bitter Rivals tpb, Eyes of the Gorgon tpb, and Land of the Dead tpb). The entire Perez run is good but the first seven issues collected in Gods and Mortals are Wonder Woman's post-Crisis intro and give a good feel for the rest of his run if the reader isn't inclined to get it all as he was on the book for a long time, although many fans would say his is the best run, I would say it is worth the read but I can see how it is a lot of material. All the tpb's I listed go in order if they sound interesting to you.

Avatar image for name_already_chosen
    name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perez's entire Cheetah cycle is also one of the best depictions of Wonder Woman's nemesis in her entire history!

By the way, welcome to the classic Wonder Woman. I will warn you that, once you see how Wonder Woman used to be, you will find it difficult ever again to like the New 52 version; returning to New 52 after classic Wonder Woman is like drinking sewer water after having enjoyed Cristal and Dom Perignon.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@name_already_chosen: classic WW? Not really. While I agree that Perez redefined and owned the character, his version came more than 40 years into her existence. Classic WW is GA WW.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.