Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Only women should write Wonder Woman stories

• 51 results
    Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

a male writer wouldn't know how a woman like WW would act or feel or do in any situation

I find it ridiculous that a man would try to write a story about a girl. Only a woman should do the WW comics to make it more realistic

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

fail reasoning.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Only murderers should write murder stories.

BB

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You realize a guy CREATED Wonder Woman, right?

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ellen Ripley. (Alien)

Annie Hall. (Annie Hall)

Sarah Connor. (Terminator)

Hester Prynne (The Scarlett Letter)

Lisbeth Salander (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)

All fantastic fictional females and all written and created by males. Just like some of the greatest male characters have been written by females. While I would like to see more female writers on Wonder WOman (I believe Marjorie Liu or Kelly Sue Deconnick would be AMAZING on Wonder Woman), the notion that one needs to be female to write a female character or male to write a male character is utterly ludicrous.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only black people should write black people! ):O

See, that is what you sound like. :/

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Obvious troll thread.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

A Wonder Woman movie should be female oriented, but the comics? No, there aren't even that many female writers. You're limiting her character to a handful of people.

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Ann Nocenti had a good daredevil run, she is not male.

Greg Rucka has had many great runs with character like Wonder Woman, Batwoman and Elektra. He is male.

Grant Morrison is not a 10 year old, why does he get to write Damian Wayne

(a not comic book one) John Green writes great female characters, he is male.

So yes male writers can write Wonder Woman

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Lvenger

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greg Rucka has had many great runs with character like Wonder Woman, Batwoman and Elektra. He is male.

To back up this point, Ann Nocenti was good at Daredevil but is mind numbingly, eye gougingly AWFUL at Catwoman. So female writer does not always equal good at writing females.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

What about George Perez?

MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith said:

You realize a guy CREATED Wonder Woman, right?

that's the problem

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow sexist mush.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another winner for the OP.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's the problem

It's a problem that a guy decided to create a female superheroine on par with Superman, in a time where such a thing was not only unheard of, but more than likely frowned upon.

'k.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@r2datu said:

@scouts1998 said:

To back up this point, Ann Nocenti was good at Daredevil but is mind numbingly, eye gougingly AWFUL at Catwoman. So female writer does not always equal good at writing females.

She was also awful at katana

and thanks for backing me up

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By TifaLockhart

I think the premise of the OP is kinda sexist.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ann Nocenti had a good daredevil run, she is not male

I'm not talking about female writers

Wait, so you're saying a female writer can write male characters just fine, but you contend the reverse isn't true? Seriously? Can we got a mod in here?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

It funny that Wonder Woman defend that women were equal to men and this writer of these blog does the opposite. Sure they are good female writter writting for women characters like Gail Simone on Batgirl, Birds of Prey and Red Sonja but she is able to write good male characters like Secret Six. Wonder Woman is woman. but She is Amazon Princess who is a superhero, an icon and also a female. How a woman writting Wonder Woman would make the story make it more realistic ?

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By r2datu

TBH I think the real issue here is that there have been no Amazon writers for Wonder Woman. I mean, seriously, come on DC.A human writer wouldn't know how an Amazon like WW would act or feel or do in any situation.

I find it ridiculous that a non Amazon would try to write a story about an Amazon. Only an Amazon should do the WW comics to make it more realistic.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

a male writer wouldn't know how a woman like WW would act or feel or do in any situation

I find it ridiculous that a man would try to write a story about a girl. Only a woman should do the WW comics to make it more realistic

OMG not the realistic card, I am so sick of hearing the "r" word regarding superheroes.

Also sexist comment is sexist.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

11/10 OP

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This logic falls apart in so many different ways.

So you're saying that it's impossible for any male writer to ever write a convincing female character? Because there are thousands of examples that say you're wrong.

Being female or male doesn't define a person's personality in any way, shape, or form. Writing a character is simply writing a person, and who Wonder Woman is as a person impacts the way she should be written a whole lot more than the fact that she has a vagina. It's absurdly outdated to believe that men literally can't understand the way a woman might think or respond in a situation, it simply doesn't make sense.

Should only black people write black characters? What about Superman? Should we find an alien to write Superman comics?

I do realize that this is probably a troll thread, but it annoyed me enough to give a serious response anyway.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dshipp17

@masterdetective said:

A man being unable to truly know how any woman would act, feel, or do in a given situation is a point that I made in the past also, so I agree to a large extent; outside of only women writing Wonder Woman, I believe that it should be more of a joint affair; while a man can plot the environment for the story, a woman would write how Wonder Woman feels in certain settings; it would have been very intriguing to have Marston develop the plots for Wonder Woman, but had his wife or partner write the story to dictate Wonder Woman's reactions in the various environments; as far as the female's perspective goes, the woman should have absolute discretion with zero input or interference from the male; imagining the Wonder Woman/Dr. Psycho interaction, purely from the perspective of a woman, particularly in Wonder Woman 160 of volume 1, is very intriguing for me; the Wonder Woman/Dr. Psycho interaction is a text book of an example of where a male should plot the story, however, where Dr. Psycho is the male's plot device.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dshipp17

@halconperegrino said:

there is nothing wrong with men writting her but we need people who gets her,for example in the new universe,in johns hands she is portayed as a bitch,in azz hands her personality is more accurate but i don't see a super hero comic book in azz's writtin and i don't like the slow motion of the story,it takes too much time to take one step.

This is that thing that usually gets me in these types of discussions; you say one man gets Wonder Woman but one man does not get Wonder Woman; what exactly do you mean by getting Wonder Woman? It's so open ended and subjective and doesn't really add much to the discussion. The person who created the thread is clearly speaking on a more subtle level that these responses show that people are either missing or dismissing about his/her point; I'm giving the thread creator the benefit of the doubt in assuming that he/she's talking about something on a very subtle level, not to be sexist. When you say one male writer got her (e.g. you probably say Perez and Rucka) but another male writer didn't get her (e.g. Messner-Loebs, John Byrne, Frank Miller), do you mean, in the male writer, the reaction that one would expect of Wonder Woman or something different entirely? If you're a male, how do you come across in presuming to make that case? How do you assume to know how the woman is expected to act, being a man? Saying that someone missed the mark can also apply to saying that a male writer didn't get Superman; and, unfortunately, it applies with assuming that a woman just got Daredevil, while another woman didn't; thus, realize that the thread creator is referring to something on a more subtle level, as I, being a male, can be woefully off about my interpretation of how another male would respond to events leading up to a conflict, for example; in terms of a conflict or a situation that is likely to involve imminent danger to oneself (e.g. while inside a new or foreign environment for me or approaching a dark ally at night in New York City), are you saying that both men and women would be feeling the same way? While a young male is probably likely to feel he's indestructible, a woman might feel very vulnerable, and I can get that, but, as a male, I probably can't comprehend our differences in reaction, on the subtle level that the person who created this thread is trying to reference. By not getting something, you might perceive one male writer as being more sensitive to the said situation, from the perspective of a woman, but it has nothing really to do with perceiving the situation from the female's perspective on a subtle, hormonal level; basically, the issue might be that one male is more socially informed than the other male in interacting with women, it might even be issues approaching misogyny, or something else entirely, but it can never be at the subtle level being referred to by the person who created the thread; during social occasions, pretty much everybody wears a mask and shield their true internal feelings, so, even a socially informed male can be way off concerning how the woman is truly perceiving the situation.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Only murderers should write murder stories.

BB

haha

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perez and Rucka would say otherwise.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't deny that for a character who's often charged with misandry, she suffers a lot from machismo lol

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

You can't deny that for a character who's often charged with misandry, she suffers a lot from machismo lol

Helped along with the sad fact that there aren't as many women working on DC's main books as there are men.

MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MasterDetective
    @jonsmith said:
    @masterdetective said:

Wait, so you're saying a female writer can write male characters just fine, but you contend the reverse isn't true? Seriously? Can we got a mod in here?

female writers have more social perception of the world than men, so it's ok. For exemple the Hercule Poirot series by Agatha Christie or Ranma 1/2 by Rumiko Takahashi

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MakkyD

@r2datu said:

TBH I think the real issue here is that there have been no Amazon writers for Wonder Woman. I mean, seriously, come on DC.A human writer wouldn't know how an Amazon like WW would act or feel or do in any situation.

I find it ridiculous that a non Amazon would try to write a story about an Amazon. Only an Amazon should do the WW comics to make it more realistic.

Even a Greek writer would do!

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I don't necessarily think women would do a better job at writing the character of Wonder Woman because she doesn't have a conventional female-like disposition either. I'm certain that a lot of women would botch her up completely too.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

Agreed.

SEXISTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

female writers have more social perception of the world than men, so it's ok. For exemple the Hercule Poirot series by Agatha Christie or Ranma 1/2 by Rumiko Takahashi

So you're prepared to note examples of both genders written well by women, but completely disregard the same written by men, even when direct references to Wonder Woman herself being written well by a man are noted above? Again I say: SERIOUSLY?!

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sovereign91001

I think OP is trolling and or having a laugh.

Edit: At least I hope so.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith said:
    @masterdetective said:

LOL, if you honestly think having a penis or vagina would affect the way someone thinks then you are ridiculous.

MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MasterDetective

@goobot said:

@masterdetective said:
    @jonsmith said:
    @masterdetective said:

LOL, if you honestly think having a penis or vagina would affect the way someone thinks then you are ridiculous.

It's a fact that men and women think and act differently. Go and read a book.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only Kryptionians should write about Kryptonians.

VSG413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By VSG413

@masterdetective: The greatest writers of women were men. & some of the greatest writers for men were women. It doesn't matter what gender, I for one, am enjoying the New 52 Wonder Woman stories he has a great grasp on the her, and he hasn't let us down.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol at all of the responses.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.