Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Off My Mind: Wonder Woman's TV Show Postponed

• 107 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    Wonder Woman is never able to catch a break. Many were surprised when it was announced that there were plans for a Wonder Woman television show headed by David E. Kelley. Wonder Woman is a great character but she has a hard time getting the respect she deserves. I wondered what angle Kelley would take with the character in bringing her back to the small screen. Unfortunately, news broke Friday that we won't be seeing a Wonder Woman television show any time soon. 

The main reason being cited is a deal couldn't be reached with any of the networks. The CW seemed to be the perfect choice but apparently they couldn't afford it. Fox and ABC passed on it. With Disney owning ABC, there was no way it could happen there. CBS and NBC weren't sure and passed as well.  

Basically what we're hearing is the license fee the networks would have to come up with was too much. Is that really the case or is there some other reason? 
     == TEASER == 
     Which version would we have had?
     Which version would we have had?
    I get the impression that people are scared of Wonder Woman. How many times have we heard about progress being made for a Wonder Woman live action movie only to have it fall apart quickly? Despite the well made and well received Wonder Woman animated movie, reports stated that sales were too low to guarantee a sequel. Wonder Woman has been an iconic character for decades but it feels that even DC Comics is unsure what to do with her at times. 

The argument might be made that female characters can't hold their own. This isn't a problem for Jessica Jones as she's getting her own show next Fall. I've also been thinking, which would make a better weekly television show, Wonder Woman or the Hulk? How much smashing will the Hulk being doing on television without making the budget go through the roof? I think a Wonder Woman television show would almost be easier to make. 

Is a Wonder Woman television show cursed before it even gets made? Are network executives scared to take her on? There is still some hope. It was mentioned that the timing was bad when the project was being shopped around. It's interesting that there wasn't any mention of last month's report that David E. Kelley had decided to work on another project first. Perhaps that was after he already knew this one was troubled.  

I'd really like to see a Wonder Woman TV show. We know there is a demand for comic characters on screen. Smallville has managed to last ten seasons. We're currently seeing shows like No Ordinary Family and The Cape (which may work better and be cheaper since they aren't based on licensed characters). Trying to sell Wonder Woman is the problem. The higher ups need to be convinced that the cost of the show would be worth it. Granted, we've seen some questionable adaptions of other comic characters in the past but if done correctly, Wonder Woman could work. We'll have to see if the networks ever come around or if the timing ever gets better.  

Do you think a Wonder Woman show could work or is it for the best that it's been shelved?
    Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Baron_Emo

Do you think it's a stigma attached to her based upon the old show?

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jubilee042

the new costume because its more realistic and practical and it should be made because i want tone of the best representatives of women in live action

HaHaManHV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#3  Edited By HaHaManHV

I honestly feel like Wonder Woman is just one of the hardest characters to handle just right. I mean, you can see this from the comic, where countless writers have failed to truly capture her character properly. That's only magnified when it comes to animated features, TV shows, and of course, movies. If they got a solid creator from her past like Greg Rucka or George Perez, she might stand a better chance

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @HaHaManHV: But even when you've have kick ass writers on the comic, people don't read. I don't know if some people don't want to be seen buying a Wonder Woman comic? I can't believe that would be the problem. Also adapting the comic to live action could be tricky. 
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I think an animated show would work better than live-action because it's cheaper and you don't need an actress that resembles the character. Though if they did a Live-action show they would have to go with the new look, though I'm worried whether or not they would be able to find a good actress who is both beautiful and tough.

Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

I guess Hollywood and television are having a hard time figuring out superheroes.   Remember these are the not-so-creative people who run the show.   They notice that “non-costumed” shows and movies seem to do really well : Heroes, Hancock, Smallville ...   Whereas Superman Returns bombed.   The square peg being Batman, but since Batman wears black leather it’s non-costume territory.

The lesson for today : people want dark and gritty superheroes, with toned down costumes in dark alleys.

And then we get to Wonder Woman, Paradise Island , the stars and stripes bathing suit, Greek Gods and all that.

Executives must be terrified out of their minds about this … Is it Xena ? Is it supposed to be funny ? Can we make it funny ? But the audience wants dark and gritty and no costumes and she is a princess, where is the black leather ? Dark Alleys ? Cheetah ? * POP *

By now secretaries are finding men in suits on the floor, twitching and drooling, broken forever by the evil that is Wonder Woman …

Face it, the world is not ready for Wonder Woman.

CaptHowdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 188

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By CaptHowdy

It's DC's greed man.  WB is a partner/owner of DC and they can cut them a licensing deal  (how about some revenue sharing instead to get this done)?  DC is horrible at cross promotion.  Look at how much sales of Walking Dead, Scott Pilgrim and such do when there are multiple media platforms for a character/property.

DC wants all their money up front and doesn't look at the big picture, i.e. popularity of the property increases due to reaching a wider audience, etc.  

.. and they can't for the life of them wonder why they are always second best in popularity...  they aren't going to gain a younger following for their characters in just comic books!  That's why DC comic fans are mainly all old men... other than the bat stuff because the movies helped introduce a whole new fan base!

hitechlolife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hitechlolife

While I think a WW show could work really well there's definitely a cringe factor when it comes to the character. She's very kitschy on the surface. The best way to reintroduce her to a TV audience would be to not name it WW outright and let people discover the character on their own. A way to do it would be to use a younger, inexperienced Diana. Kinda like the JLU cartoon version via Buffy. (I'm certainly not asking for a Smallville or the current JMS take.). 

Another essential ingredient is well written humor as Gail Simone has proven! Actually,Simone is possibly an essential ingredient herself.)

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sydpart2

I'd watch a WW show if it were done right...I'd watch a WW movie if it were done right...I loved the animated one they put out in 09, just not sure how you could really do a live action one...

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By chalkshark

Just give it to Bruce Timm & run Wonder Woman as an animated series. Then, it'll work brilliantly.

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

It seems like Wonder Woman, even though she is the most recognizable female superhero, is a really hard sell.  It seems that superheroes need to be dark, grim, and gritty in order to work well on television or film.  Kind of how like the Cape is Batman with half the calories.  Superheroes that have more of a sunny disposition (other than spider-man) dont seem to work.  Wonder Woman has always came off to me as a mostly positive character, which is a turn off to an increasingly cynical audience.

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By difficlus

Wonder Woman is risky, i guess like you said they fear they won't be a demand for a story about  a woman in hot shorts with a cowboy whip that makes people tell the truth. I'm not sure how a wider audience will accept her story. 
    @kapitein_zeppos
    said:

"

I guess Hollywood and television are having a hard time figuring out superheroes.   Remember these are the not-so-creative people who run the show.   They notice that “non-costumed” shows and movies seem to do really well : Heroes, Hancock, Smallville ...   Whereas Superman Returns bombed.   The square peg being Batman, but since Batman wears black leather it’s non-costume territory.

The lesson for today : people want dark and gritty superheroes, with toned down costumes in dark alleys.

And then we get to Wonder Woman, Paradise Island , the stars and stripes bathing suit, Greek Gods and all that.

Executives must be terrified out of their minds about this … Is it Xena ? Is it supposed to be funny ? Can we make it funny ? But the audience wants dark and gritty and no costumes and she is a princess, where is the black leather ? Dark Alleys ? Cheetah ? * POP *

By now secretaries are finding men in suits on the floor, twitching and drooling, broken forever by the evil that is Wonder Woman …

"
    Wow this nailed the nail on the head! 
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

The world is not ready for the all powerful....... WONDER WOWAN! (Bling Blang!)

Woodclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Woodclaw

I don't really know if a WW show could work. Opposite to her male colleagues (Batman and Superman) the universe of characters surrounding Diana lacks a proper level recognition outside the kingdom of comic book fans. Just for the sake of example, my father was never big about comic books, but even he knows about Luthor, Lois Lane, Gordon or the Joker. Ask a not-fan about Diana and you'll get some big puzzled expressions.

This makes the character difficult to use and/or write, since unless one is willing to try a massive storyline about the Greek Gods (liek George Perez did) it's really hard to do anything effective with the character. Plus no network will ever touch a Greek Gods based storyline with a female lead, for fear of the Xena factor.

Finally there are two extra elements that makes WW hard to handle. First of all sexuality, aside from the obvious bathing suit issues, Diana was born on a island populated only by extremly beautiful immortal women, there is enough here to cause stuppid homophobic accusation flying. Second and most important WW was supposed to be a different kind of hero, she wasn't supposed to simply run around beating people up, but she was supposed to try to make a significative positive difference in the world. Not just doing good, but inspiring others to do so, which is quite hard to handle in an action TV format.

Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Blindside002

There are so many characters that are hard to handle, most of them sadly are female characters because the demo for most comic book readers and the people who go to see Superhero movies are usually males from the age of 15-30. I've asked many of my friends who are females, even ones who read comics already, about female characters are sadly most of them don't even care to read about them. They have to be done just right and most of the time are the hardest to market, which makes it a task most people aren't up to because they would rather take the easier one like Batman who they don't really have to market and know will make the profit they desire.  

Bottom line, as much as I hope a movie or series goes through and gets a lot of attention with a female superhero like Wonder Woman, I don't think it will happen soon because people just aren't ready for it and may never be.

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By roadbuster

Assuming Deadline is accurate, the news isn't that negative.  There are only three big national networks with Fox a distant fourth and the CW barely a competitor.  ABC is developing Marvel properties and NBC is only temporarily in flux.  I guarantee that the licensing fee and Kelley's salary could be waived and the CW still wouldn't be able to afford the show nor would it fit their demographic, look at their lineup: 90210, Gossip Girl, Hellcats, One Tree Hill, Life Unexpected, Vampire Diaries... my skin started to ooze Neutrogena  just typing that list.  Even their genre programming- Smallville, Supernatural, Nikita- are bottom basement budgeted compared to an action adventure series on any of the Big Three.  WBTV more or less screened Fox first, but for reasons similar to CW they'd never carry this show. 

So the only network to actually judge the show on its merits- not politics or production costs- was CBS and they were split.  Yeah, it wasn't a slam dunk, but it also wasn't a wholesale rejection. 

What we can glean from this is that Kelley's vision was ambitious and expensive- beyond the budgets of CW and Fox- and at least appealing enough to get half of CBS excited, despite having a lineup lacking scifi genre TV (a Tuesday sitcom block, reality TV, and procedurals)... which is nothing to sneeze at.  Additionally, that the vision was sufficiently clear not to be compromised in order to accommodate said networks.  That, to me, is not necessarily a bad thing... just a timing issue. 

When NBC's program director gets settled they might be the ideal network for a flashy franchise like Wonder Woman having consistently invested in genre shows like Heroes, Chuck, The Cape, etc.  If they pass, then they might have to rethink the vision but it might be tough to let go of Kelley's having already paid for it and it actually managing to generate some interest.

KNIGHT SAVIOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 42

#17  Edited By KNIGHT SAVIOR

yes.......a Wonder Woman TV show can work
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By roadbuster
    @difficlus said:
    " Wonder Woman is risky, i guess like you said they fear they won't be a demand for a story about  a woman in hot shorts with a cowboy whip that makes people tell the truth. I'm not sure how a wider audience will accept her story. "
    How do you explain the success of "Lois and Clark" or "Xena"?  Or how would you summarize "Lost" without sounding insane?  Audiences aren't so hung up on the implausibility of tropes that it prevents them from accepting a concept- particularly one as iconic as Wonder Woman. 

Sure, even Superman gets the "why the briefs on the outside" question endlessly but if you removed them people would yell "where are they?!" because ultimately "He's Superman" is all it takes to explain the costume.  It's a self-resolving dilemma simply because Wonder Woman is so well known... you never ask people in the Halloween costume "Why are you wearing a tiara?" or "Why so much skin?" the answer is because she's Wonder Woman... the concept has become definitive.  Audiences don't go to a Jackie Chan film and then wonder why he doesn't mow down the badguys with a Rambo-styled M60 instead of kung-fu. 

That doesn't mean viewers and critics won't feign issues and raise them because they're easy pot shots, but it isn't an actual barrier.  Genre films routinely kill at the box office and bear log-lines far crazier than "an Amazon comes to man's world".  I'd give audiences more credit, they can handle tropes so long as you deliver on the fundamentals like story, character, and production.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By The_Ghostshell

The Birds of Prey had a freakin T.V. show but Wonder Woman cant get no luv? Does anyone remember Xena and how popular a show that was? It was almost a perfect Wonder Woman adaptation. So why the hesitation? I'm not buying money being an issue.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Joe Venom

Remember Zena! this could have been the new Zena and I would have enjoyed watching that, but I am pretty sure they were considering a Smallville approach and that's just not something I want to watch right now I honestly don't blame networks for turning the show down.

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
    Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

If we ever do get to see a Wonder Woman show, I'd hope that we'd get the old costume.  The new one looks like crap.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By damswedon

The first major problem any company would have with Wonder Woman is her costume. Without the whole DC universe of stupid looking consumes in the real world. You could set the show on Themyscira but why would you even bother when you could just make your own show using Greek Myths and Legends.

bmbmustdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By bmbmustdie
    @CaptHowdy said:
    "It's DC's greed man.  WB is a partner/owner of DC and they can cut them a licensing deal  (how about some revenue sharing instead to get this done)?  DC is horrible at cross promotion.  Look at how much sales of Walking Dead, Scott Pilgrim and such do when there are multiple media platforms for a character/property.  DC wants all their money up front and doesn't look at the big picture, i.e. popularity of the property increases due to reaching a wider audience, etc.    .. and they can't for the life of them wonder why they are always second best in popularity...  they aren't going to gain a younger following for their characters in just comic books!  That's why DC comic fans are mainly all old men... other than the bat stuff because the movies helped introduce a whole new fan base! "

that sounds like what happened. 

i do hope  ww tv show happens and its nothing like smallvile.
    GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#24  Edited By GothamRed

personally I want the original costume, for iconography if nothing else, but the new one may fit better with a smallville style live action show, so I'd be happy with either

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By Cherry Bomb

Nooooo :( 
    I was soo excited for this.

Brickabrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Brickabrack

I'm sure it can work. It worked in the 70's, so there is a precedent for it.  

However, I don't think it has to be live action. Animated seems to be well recieved. Just give her an animated series and see what happens. If it takes off, studios will have a clear sign that there is a market for the live action. 

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fantasgasmic

I think the biggest hurdle for Diana at present is the decline of interest in mythological stuff. Realism is popular to the point of the ultra-real Nolan Batman movies and the Iron Man movies, and supernatural is popular insofar as all the vampire shows out now, but a character who gets their powers from a pantheon of gods is not something current audiences seem interested in.  

The other problem with a WW tv show is that aside from somewhat familiar gods being the antagonists, WW's rogues aren't very well known. Everyone could name 1 or 2 Batman villains or maybe even Superman villains (to paraphrase the Venture Brothers "Batman has the best villains"). But aside from the Gods, Diana's baddies seem pretty forgettable.

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By queenfrost_

Sorry to say it, but it's because they're scared to target a female audience and kind of leave out the boys, when they know that's their strong audience (evidence from smallville)

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NightFang3
    @KNIGHT SAVIOR said:
    " yes.......a Wonder Woman TV show can work "
    Avatar image for mistersarcastic
    mistersarcastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mistersarcastic
    @kapitein_zeppos said:

"

"
    This pretty much nailed it. This day and age, people are liking the lacking of a cape, mask, and cheesy costume. And no matter what costume they give Diana (new or old) she'd still make for a complicated character to adapting her to TV and Movie. I don't know much about Jessica Jones so I can't really differentiate as to why her series is going through with airing and WW's isn't. But like Zeppos said, people aren't ready for Wonder Woman, despite how iconic she is. Maybe she's better off in animated movies...perhaps not even her own, but she was pretty awesome in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

This whole gritty, modern superhero take reminds me of "the Incredibles" when they were saying "no more capes" and citing all these ridiculous circumstances and reasons why, lol.
    Paloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Paloc

I don't think the issue is with Wonder Woman as much as it is just heros in tights as TV shows. 
    If you look at the popular super heroTV shows they were either animated or don't have tights (like smallville) 

If they're going to do a wonder woman live action show they would need to redesign her, and with the out cry from the current run in the comics I think it just shows that people aren't happy either way. 

I would love to know more about the character, and since back issues can be intimidating to say the least, a great and accurate show would really help. It's how I learned about Batman (The good animated series) as a kid and now read almost every bat title there is.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#32  Edited By ImperiousRix

I think a Wonder Woman show could definitely WORK, but I'd be deathly afraid that it'd gets mishandled, especially since the prospect of the show seems on such shaky ground as it is.  At this point, I think it makes more sense to make a WW movie rather than a TV show.   
    I think the populace at large needs to be reminded what a prominent and STRONG character she is, not just the token female in what is essentially a boys' club.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I feel like the people who work on TV shows and even movies involving superheroes don't take it serious enough and they take too much creative liberty.Wonder Woman has the potential to be a very good series even it's live action and if it lasts long enough she could probably get the well deserved exposure she needs to get more people to start reading her books, but I always have a feeling that someone is going to mess it up by adding to much of their own random changes.I hate Smallville because of this.There is almost nothing about Smallville that makes me feel like I'm watching a show about Superman.

Avatar image for thecheckeredman
    thecheckeredman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thecheckeredman
    @jubilee042 said:
    " the new costume because its more realistic and practical and it should be made because i want tone of the best representatives of women in live action "
    You know it seemed to me like the new costume made its debut then news about a new TV show surfaced -- it almost seemed like too much of a coincidence IMHO.  -sigh-  Oh well.
    SigersonLTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SigersonLTD

It worked in the 70's. For awhile. 

If I had the time, i'd explain why it wouldn't work today. 

PS, I don't get why The CW can't afford the license fee to something that they indirectly own. 

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @kapitein_zeppos:  How about Iron Man, X-Men, and Spider-Man? They aren't dark, gritty, and in alley ways. Plus, Superman Returns had a dark (emo) Superman, and it bombed. Superman returns failed because he had no true villian and the plot was boring.
    Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

For those who cite the 70’s series, it was a different time.  People today are too cynical to accept this.   Now this may be the angle you may want to look at.  

Imagine that one day a woman with amazing abilities claiming to be sent by the Greek Gods is here to help us and inspire us …

Can you imagine the ruckus ? The newspapers would have a field day, talk radio would explode.   Certain religious leaders would condemn her.   She’d be all over the tabloids, blogs and opinion pieces etc …

And then we get the nutjobs who wear a costume hoping to get tied and beaten up.

But after a while she starts to make a difference, it’s easy to be cynical, but it is refreshing to have somebody who isn’t infected by it, somebody who really tries and can make a difference.

Make her a real heroine, beset by a world that thinks it doesn’t need heroes.   Make her somebody strong, with unshakable convictions and integrity who has to fight people who want to smear her, take her down and drag her into the mud.   Put WW up against unscrupulous people like a media magnate 1/3rd J Jonah Jameson, 1/3rd Kai Winn from DS9 and 1/3rd Lex Luthor.

That might work …

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By roadbuster
    @CaptHowdy said:

" It's DC's greed man.  WB is a partner/owner of DC and they can cut them a licensing deal  (how about some revenue sharing instead to get this done)?  DC is horrible at cross promotion.  Look at how much sales of Walking Dead, Scott Pilgrim and such do when there are multiple media platforms for a character/property.  DC wants all their money up front and doesn't look at the big picture, i.e. popularity of the property increases due to reaching a wider audience, etc.    .. and they can't for the life of them wonder why they are always second best in popularity...  they aren't going to gain a younger following for their characters in just comic books!  That's why DC comic fans are mainly all old men... other than the bat stuff because the movies helped introduce a whole new fan base! "

Scott Pilgrim is a disaster economically, it cost $60M to make plus another $40M in marketing and only grossed $47M worldwide.  And Walking Dead is doing well for cable which is a totally different realm from network television and what the WB was aiming for.

DC's solid at cross promotion since everything is owned by WB... just every toy license, TV show, and merchandising that goes out earns WB money.  They're less prolific, but more profitable in terms of production versus returns.  In terms of market share, DC and Marvel are realistically neck and neck and DC actually surpassed Marvel's dollar share last month.  By comparison, there are tons of Marvel related products and productions out there, but only about a third of it actually belongs to or is actually cross promoted by Marvel (that was part of why Marvel paid a hefty sum and the promise of Iron Man 3's profits to Paramount).  When Marvel was on the road to bankruptcy in the 90s they were selling off their rights like crazy and it's going to be another 10-20 years for them to recapture even half of what they sold, much less the film rights which could potentially be lost forever so long as Sony and Fox keep up production.

As for the next generation, DC's films and animation hold up.  Bruce Timm's DCAU is as watchable today as it was when it first came out and will be 20 years from now.  That primes fans for the future.  The main area DC needs work is videogames- an industry bigger than Hollywood right now- and they're certainly at least trying if one of their chief officers is almost entirely working on a videogame project. 

Calling it DC's greed is silly when you consider they're owned by the same conglomerate.  If it were an issue of greed, their parent company would have forced the deal and demanded the cash in since they're both accountable to the parent company (again, the in-house profit philosophy of WB), instead it's entirely a role/budget issue... the CW was never a platform for expensive TV (compare the multi-million dollar effects budget for ABC's Lost against Smallville's $60,000 FX budget) and forcing the issue wouldn't be good for the CW, DC, or WB (CW has established a brand for itself, how do they market a show might cost as much as half of their line-up combined with a totally different tone?; DC would be type-casting their franchises as stuck on teeny-bopper channels; and the WB would be compromising two subsidiaries and a valuable IP... for what?).  Disney isn't going to start demanding Marvel put out Disney-quality animated feature films because that's not Marvel's role or in their budget.  It's the same thing.  
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By joshmightbe

Alot of this argument seems to be about realism and you know what, I'm sick and god damned tired of realism cause lets be honest tv and movie versions of realism is barely closer to reality than fantasy I'd like to be able to relate to a character's personality but that doesn't mean they need a normal life. I related just fine with luke skywalker and han solo despite the fact that I know that crap would never happen. Another thing why does everything have to be all grim and gritty sure it works for batman and it would work for wolverine if fox was capable of doing anything right but many characters aren't meant to be like that. 

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By roadbuster
    @kapitein_zeppos said:
    "For those who cite the 70’s series, it was a different time.  People today are too cynical to accept this."
    Are you forgetting what the 70s were?  The shattering of the idealized or honored Presidency in Nixon, the turmoil of the Vietnam War, the sexual revolution, etc.  You think that was a period of idealism and hope?  Of course not!  Wonder Woman was escapism from a lot of that (while still being progressive and touching on the themes somewhat). 

Much of the success of Spider-Man has been attributed to post-9/11 escapism as well (again, while touching on the unity of New Yorkers without directly addressing it). 

Cynicism does not destroy superheroes... it has routinely been its savior- driving the escapism of the 70s, deconstruction and revival of the 80s, the creator boom of the 90s, and writer revival of the 00s... moreover there's no one thing that determines the success or failure of a show, because there's not just one audience with one characteristic or trait. 

It can be completely absurd and cheesecake like Chuck and do well or be entirely indecipherable like Lost and be a phenomenon.  Depressingly dark like Mad Men or tooth achingly sweet like Glee.  Shows do not need to appeal to a mythic one audience with one type of cynicism.
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jordanstine

Wondering why Wonder Woman was postponed?  (That's 5 W's in a sentence!) 

Just look at the Flash TV series. 

Bright and colorful superhero shows are hard to come by, especially if the solor hero wears bright and colorful costumes.  Everything has to be "dark" to give a more "realistic" feel to today's societal appetite.  

Sad.
    leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By leokearon

1. I can think of three reasons why a new WW show hasn't taken off 

1. Everyone will immediately think of Linda Carter's version and people will be angry if it isn't similar
      2. If you try something closer to the comics, wouldn't it end up like Xena in star-spanggled panties 
      3. In DC's eyes she's not Green Lantern

El_Derrico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By El_Derrico

My impressions on Wonder Woman are mostly based on the silly 70s TV show and the Justice League cartoons. I even saw the recent DC Animated movie. I can honestly say I still don't really know what her personality is. Other than her chest, nothing about her stands out. I think that's the main problem anyone trying to adapt her has to deal with, licensing fees notwithstanding. 

Lovenuggets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lovenuggets

Agh It needs to be a Movie...not a damn Tv Series again..No one is going to watch...people are too into these damn reality TV shows to know what good quality TV is!....I stay away from reality crap altogether 

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By justice teen

well if its animated thn cartoonnet work(there should be o excuse young justice and batman the brave and the bold are doing fine). if is live action CW should work(smallville doing fine). yet i would like to see how it would do if it was tnt or usa or maybe Tbs. the promblem no one take her seriously wich is dumb shes awesome way better than batman or superman.yet she all ways get crap writters. they wont even give her prodigies there own series and they would sell higer than batmans or supermans. the think is wonder woman dosent get the respect she deserve Dc shpuld change that  or give to marvel maybe they up her up

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By roadbuster
    @Jordanstine said:
    "Just look at the Flash TV series.  Bright and colorful superhero shows are hard to come by, especially if the solor hero wears bright and colorful costumes.  Everything has to be "dark" to give a more "realistic" feel to today's societal appetite.   Sad. "
    The Flash was cancelled because it was expensive to produce, was preempted by Gulf War coverage on a regular basis, was shuffled around the schedule in order to make up for it but out of sync with TV guides (the periodical and in newspapers), and when it was on, it was up against breakout phenomenon "The Simpsons" and powerhouse "The Cosby Show".  Creatively it wasn't all that bright either- borrowing inspiration heavily from Burton's Batman using Elfman to score, staging most episodes at night, avenging the death of a dead family member, etc. 

I disagree with the belief in dark and realistic.  Lois & Clark was anything but.  The Power Rangers are an unstoppable franchise even today.  Spider-Man and Iron Man are bright and colorful.  And the vast majority of scripted TV is far from realistic... if anything, American tastes seem to run more cartoony and absurdist than others- take the darker and more realistic UK version of "The Office" compared to the live-action cartoon that is NBC's "The Office". 

If you deliver on the fundamentals- story, character, and production- the rest will sort itself out.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By roadbuster
    @Lovenuggets said:
    "  Agh It needs to be a Movie...not a damn Tv Series again..No one is going to watch...people are too into these damn reality TV shows to know what good quality TV is!....I stay away from reality crap altogether  "
    If networks are skittish about a TV series, image how worried a studio would be about a movie! 

No, the advantage of a TV show is that you can find your audience and develop your character.  Most genre shows don't hit their stride until their second season but when they do, that's when a lot of the growth comes off of the feedback of what worked, what didn't, etc.  I mention The Office, earlier, and when it started it was dry and uncomfortable like the UK inspiration... but as the show progressed the writers found their voice and their audience and the show evolved to accommodate it. 

Given how debatable Wonder Woman's character is, a TV show is the ideal format to put something out there, get some feedback, and refine it into something more universally appealing.  A film is almost an all or nothing venture whereas TV is more agile and can, even mid-season, adjust to what's working with audiences.
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48  Edited By DMC
    @CrimsonAvenger said:
    " I think an animated show would work better than live-action because it's cheaper and you don't need an actress that resembles the character. Though if they did a Live-action show they would have to go with the new look, though I'm worried whether or not they would be able to find a good actress who is both beautiful and tough. "
    agreed....target the kids. It would be a hell of a lot easier ^_^
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jordanstine
    @Mainline said:

The Flash was cancelled because it was expensive to produce, was preempted by Gulf War coverage on a regular basis, was shuffled around the schedule in order to make up for it but out of sync with TV guides (the periodical and in newspapers), and when it was on, it was up against breakout phenomenon "The Simpsons" and powerhouse "The Cosby Show".  Creatively it wasn't all that bright either- borrowing inspiration heavily from Burton's Batman using Elfman to score, staging most episodes at night, avenging the death of a dead family member, etc.  I disagree with the belief in dark and realistic.  Lois & Clark was anything but.  The Power Rangers are an unstoppable franchise even today.  Spider-Man and Iron Man are bright and colorful.  And the vast majority of scripted TV is far from realistic... if anything, American tastes seem to run more cartoony and absurdist than others- take the darker and more realistic UK version of "The Office" compared to the live-action cartoon that is NBC's "The Office".  If you deliver on the fundamentals- story, character, and production- the rest will sort itself out. "

Superman and Spider-Man?  Are we talking about a Wonder Woman CARTOON or something? 

So I guess Wonder Woman will work... if it was targeted for a Kid's audience.  Power Rangers?  Really?

As far as The Office comparisons, sure Wonder Woman will work... if it was going to be based as a colorful Comedy show.  

The Flash maybe "expensive", but the fact they couldn't support the cost themselves means the show is not doing it's job.  Like any business, TV shows are made to make a profit.  If the show was any good, who cares if it would have gone up against The Simpsons.  It would still be alive today if it was good.  Heck, Lost was expensive and it went toe-to-toe with the longer running American Idol, and then House for a season later on, but it still faired well.    Heroes' first season was a hit, despite that it premiered with the same timeslot as 24.   The Flash would've probably endured better if it was regarded more as a lighthearted show more than it was serious (see Lois & Clark).   So The Flash, just like any canceled TV show was just a failure.    

Lois & Clark was from the same era as the Flash series; sure we see JSA running around every once in a while, but you won't see Clark donning the blue-red-yellow spandex brief costume in Smallville.  In fact, the premise of all of Smallville's inital and continuing success was the fact that it's target audience (young adults) could relate to the fact, it's based on the grounds of "realism" of Clark BEFORE he donned the costume.  Not because the show is about Clark turning into a caped superhero flying around lifting buildings.  

Sure, if the fundementals of the show are delivered properly, ANYTHING will work.  Problem is, none of the aforementioned broadcast companies are willing to put their money on it... literally.

transportive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By transportive

I'd prefer the new costume, if only 'cause it's less... objectifying, and I think that a pro-female hero sort of theme to the show would make it work best. Of course, Wonder Woman has always been a good, strong character, but the new costume would help get rid of the image that maybe she's not as strong a female character as she is.

I'd definitely watch a Wonder Woman show, though! She's a great character, and I think it'd have a lot of great potential. Hopefully one day they'll do one.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.