Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Notice that Aphrodite hasn't shown up yet

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By jointron33

So far in Azzarello's run, Aphrodite has yet to appear. Note that she was very important to the mythos in the Golden/Silver Age. There hasn't even been a pun(ny) reference to her as Love, like how Apollo is Sun.

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Izaiah

Aphrodite actually did appear.
    It's Athena who hasn't appeared yet.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By jointron33

@Izaiah: when did aphrodite appear? that naked chick with long hair?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Lvenger

@jointron33: She appeared first in Wonder Woman #9 and then in #13 and #14. It is Athena who hasn't appeared yet in the New 52.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    I think she was the naked chick with the long hair.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#6  Edited By RazzaTazz

Yes she has definitely been there, I remember her in a discussion about the marriage to Hades.  

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By cloudzackvincent

yup its the naked woman

No Caption Provided
    jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By jphulk26

New 52 is bollacks. Real WW fans hate it.

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#9  Edited By MatKrenz

@jphulk26: RazzaTazz (a mod) is a huge Wonder Woman fan (she did review every single issue of WW of all the previous series) and she enjoys it quite a bit.

Shutdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shutdown

@jphulk26: It's actually extremely good. It's managed to bring in new Wonder Woman readers such as myself and make them care about the character. It's definitely one of the better DC titles out now.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jphulk26

@Shutdown: Well then she doesn´t understand the mythology. I don´t mind as long as the changes aren´t perminent. But I´d love to write a superman where Jor-el tell superman, "sorry all this time you´ve actually been from Neptune, and I´m not you father, in fact you are the son of Ghandi who is also from Neptune" You don´t just change characters mythologies, especially if it makes no desernable difference to your story. If he wanted to write Xena in The City, he could have come up with his own comic, and I´d be fine with it. I like Azzerrello´s Joker. Why? because it deepened the character, but was still guided by the Batman mythos. He´s not even a Wonder Woman fan, which is the worse part for me. He openly admits he never read much before. So all her great villains, all her great supporting cast, which they had an opportunity to introduce to new readers are just being ignored. Its bullshit and any self respecting fan of WW would not read this trash.

@MatKrenz: You don´t care about the character, because that isn´t the character. Its a good story, but its not a Wonder Woman story and Wonder Woman was much better written by writers like Gail Simone and Greg Rucka, they made her bad ass while keeping to the fundamentals of the WW story. So enjoy, but you ain´t reading Wonder Woman. Forgodsake she´s barely even a Superhero in it, where are her Supervillains? where´s Dr. Psycho, Alkyone, Ares or Cheetah? where are they. a hero has always been defined by their villains, their supporting cast and what they fight for? This is just some angry chic with daddy issues. Interesting but not Wonder Woman.

Shutdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shutdown

@jphulk26: Who's "she"? If you're talking about

And though Wonder Woman's mythology has been changed, it isn't that far fetched at all and actually it has made a discernible difference to the story as that is what the whole story has been about. It has reintroduced the Greek pantheon which has been an integral part of Wonder Woman's history. And sure her villains and supporting cast were great in the DCU (pre New 52), but that still hasn't been bringing in new fans. Azzarello most likely realised this and thus tried something new, which has worked out so far. Also as several users have said on a variety of different threads, it is called the New 52 for a reason. It wasn't just a cheap gimmick to increase sales. It was to reboot the DC universe and to a certain extent, reinvent characters and concepts. It makes sense to focus on the magical side of Wonder Woman first. Batman has most of the street level and psychological villains and the urban setting and Superman has most of the higher level metahuman threats and focuses mostly on Metropolis and also space. Wonder Woman as part of the Trinity should have her own part of the DCU, the magical part as it has been an integral part of her character.

And it's only been just over a year. I'm sure most of he pre New 52 supporting cast and villains will be introduced. In fact Cheetah, Steve Trevor, Etta Candy and Ares have been introduced.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
    deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: I enjoy it quite a bit.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jphulk26

@Shutdown: @Shutdown said:

@jphulk26:

And it's only been just over a year. I'm sure most of he pre New 52 supporting cast and villains will be introduced. In fact Cheetah, Steve Trevor, Etta Candy and Ares have been introduced.

What? Not in Azzerrellos run. In justice League you mean? Look I really don´t care about this book, I hopè you enjoy, but its crap. I just hope sometime soon they bring back the far superior original origin story. As for this stuff with the Greek Pantheon and that being her place, WW´s villains were very unique, and had many different shades so thats just nonsense. The reason WW comics didn´t sell before is not because it wasn´t working, its cause it wasn´t marketed properly. Wheres her animated TV series? her films? or her TV shows? wheres her stand alone graphic novels? or overarching Justice League storyline with one of her major villains? Please don´t talk crap. New 52 WW has been marketed properly as has all of the New 52 series, that is the only reason her comic is selling better now and to people who clearly don´t give a crap about the character. i´m sorry to say, and sound harsh. But anyway enjoy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.