Next story arc please.…am I the only one?

#1 Posted by Dud317 (290 posts) - - Show Bio

While I enjoy he mythos of the new character, am I the only one who is ready for the next arc? We've barely seen any interaction with the rest of the DC universe. When does this take place? Present? Before the reveal of superheroes? Explore that please. Most of the interaction with the rest of the DC world we get is her making out with Superman. How does she join the Justice League? I'm anxious to see if this book keeps with the mythology, or branches out past the demigods into superhero territory. Let's explore the early skepticism she holds in regard to men and the real world.

#2 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dud317: it's time to see a new arc,i agree.

#3 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

lol i havent been reading it. They are still going through the whole mythos? They need to break it up some and just let it go. After the big father reveal and stuff they should have stepped away and then could have had the JL protect earth from Ares or something while also giving back story on Diana (similar to what is currently going on with Aquaman)

#4 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

I am keen to move on to a new chapter as well

#5 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dud317 said:

While I enjoy he mythos of the new character, am I the only one who is ready for the next arc? We've barely seen any interaction with the rest of the DC universe. When does this take place? Present? Before the reveal of superheroes? Explore that please. Most of the interaction with the rest of the DC world we get is her making out with Superman. How does she join the Justice League? I'm anxious to see if this book keeps with the mythology, or branches out past the demigods into superhero territory. Let's explore the early skepticism she holds in regard to men and the real world.

I totally agree with you. I've been screaming for the conclusion of this story since issue 12. And there are a lot of things that I don't agree with beyond the whole Zola's baby arc.

I wrote a little bit about my frustration with this arc here: The NEW trinity

@Dud317 said:

When does this take place? Present? Before the reveal of superheroes? Explore that please.

It's my belief that the entire Wonder Woman series takes place before issue 7 of Justice League. Wonder Woman does not gain the ability of flight in her own title until issue 12 of her own title but she is clearly shown flying in issue 8 of Justice League.

There are problems with the whereabouts of her sword as in issue 16 of Wonder Woman, Hephaestus tweaks her bracers and now it seems that they can form at will through her bracers which is greatly inconsistent with what's been going on in Justice League from issue 7 to present (issue 17 of JL at time of this post). Sometimes the sword is strapped to her leg and other times it's not there at all but at all times there is no hint that the sword comes from the bracers.

With that, there are a lot of questions that I would love to see addressed with no hope of ever seeing answers. I imaging that this arc will not see a conclusion until issue 25 or beyond.

@DEGRAAF said:

lol i havent been reading it. They are still going through the whole mythos? They need to break it up some and just let it go. After the big father reveal and stuff they should have stepped away and then could have had the JL protect earth from Ares or something while also giving back story on Diana (similar to what is currently going on with Aquaman)

I don't see anything like that happening with Ares, as Azzarello has muted the conflict of Ares, he's called War in the Wonder Woman title, and made him a mentor of Diana, almost a father figure.

#6 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion said:

@DEGRAAF said:

I don't see anything like that happening with Ares, as Azzarello has muted the conflict of Ares, he's called War in the Wonder Woman title, and made him a mentor of Diana, almost a father figure.

thats fine it doesnt have to be Ares just someone from her past that can give the JL a challenge

#7 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed, I'll go one more and call for a an independent event that raises Wonder Woman to the statuesque heights of infamy dwarfing all other heroes in her shadow.

#8 Posted by Icarusflies (12503 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like the current story arc and the direction the story's been taking.

#9 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel that the title needs to have some of it's characters widdled down to focus on Diana more. It's just really poor decompression and I think the sales numbers are reflecting the stick-to-it-ivness that other titles like Swampthing and Animal Man are suffering from. This Zola's baby thing is tiresome and the subplot of the First Born could have waited until this arc was over. I'm just not interested in all of these peripheral characters and there are too many of them now.

I think that I would be more satisfied with the Wonder Woman title if there were a second Wonder Woman title to fill in some stuff about her Rogues and Steve and all of that stuff.

#10 Posted by TheCannon (18721 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

This.

#11 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@Icarusflies said:

This.

That?

#12 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2238 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously? I love it when we get bigger scale arcs that go through multiple phases as opposed to leaping quickly through different arcs. I don't feel like it's been dragging on because it's had different mini-arcs within it, like the Hades wedding and the battle for the throne and such.

#13 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

To each their own. I hope the sales figures can survive what's happening in the title, if not we can expect a creative shift before the end of the year.

#14 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion: do you think that they'll chance the team for wonder woman's title if sales keep dropping?.

#15 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this current arc a lot, but yeah, I wouldn't mind if it wrapped up soon.

#16 Posted by judasnixon (6584 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like the stripped down, decompress style of the story. I'm happy it's not tied to any other DC book and it's doing its own thing. I am in no rush at get back to pre New 52 statuesque Wonder Woman. I appreciate that Brian and Cliff did a whole new take on the Gods and the Wonder Woman mythos. I wish more new 52 books went this direction. Only if they didn't rush Superman out of his jeans, work boots, and his T-shirt......... But that's just my stupid opinion....      

#17 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon:

the problem is that nobody wants a wonder woman title where she never has good fights and seems to be a suporting cast when she is supposed to be the main character,her only good feats and fights are all from other comics.

#18 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@Press Oblivion: do you think that they'll chance the team for wonder woman's title if sales keep dropping?.

Of course. I don't know if you're following Swampthing, but Scott Snyder (of current Batman infamy) left the title. . . . but I don't think he left the book willingly, the sales of that book have dropped dramatically since it's critical acclaim at first launch. . . so Snyder may have left the title, in the public eye, but not before being pushed out the door with sales hovering just over 30,000 units. Wonder Woman isn't suffering that hard yet but she's hovering around 40,000 and showing predictable decrease as of the last 6 months.. What Azzarello is doing here is not only jeopardizing his future on the title by dragging out this impossibly slow plot but also crippling any chance of Diana getting a second title on the shelves.

@judasnixon: Your opinion is, certainly, not stupid. Everyone has their own personal taste and everyone is entitled to their opinion. On occasion those tastes and perceptions will meet a kindred spirit and find harmony, and as deeply divided as this forum may be on a variety of different topics, there is always harmony somewhere. I agree with you on the Superman Jeans and T business. I remember seeing that for the first time and feeling like the character really felt like he was of and for the people. That book is a mess though ironically fitting for the villain featured, but a mess.

#19 Posted by TimeLordScience (950 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

I really like the stripped down, decompress style of the story. I'm happy it's not tied to any other DC book and it's doing its own thing. I am in no rush at get back to pre New 52 statuesque Wonder Woman. I appreciate that Brian and Cliff did a whole new take on the Gods and the Wonder Woman mythos. I wish more new 52 books went this direction. Only if they didn't rush Superman out of his jeans, work boots, and his T-shirt......... But that's just my stupid opinion....

In Batman/Superman, Supes is back in the jeans and T-shirt once more (:

#20 Edited by The Stegman (24384 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the story arc, and I don't really want to see her interact with the rest of the Universe, I like that she's so deep in her own mythos, BUT I agree that this arc should end, it's length is only rivaled by the Swamp Thing/Animal Man year and a half long story. 

Also, Orion slapping WW's butt..priceless 

#21 Posted by judasnixon (6584 posts) - - Show Bio
@gokuwarrior: I'll be honest I don't want to see Wonder Woman getting into a fight every issue. When Wonder Woman does throws down I want that to be something special, a bad ass unique battle. There are a lot of books out there where their are characters punching stuff every issue and I'm more than cool with that.I just don't want to read that. I love Wonder Woman's supporting cast. Snarky Bitch Hera, crazy Eris, crass Lennox, and poor Zola are all awesome characters. You need a strong supporting cast for a good solo book. What would Spider-Man be without Aunt May, J. Johan Jameson, and Mary Jane.
#22 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: i'm not talking about figths every issue,i'm talking about lacking action through almost the whole run,there should be a balance between development and good action.

#23 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

I dropped WW a while back. I'll pick it up when the whole Zola nonsense is over.

#24 Edited by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@judasnixon:

the problem is that nobody wants a wonder woman title where she never has good fights and seems to be a suporting cast when she is supposed to be the main character,her only good feats and fights are all from other comics.

I agree with Goku about the presence of Wonder Woman, she's been diluted in the effort to keep pace with these subplots. This book hasn't really been about her but about Zola's baby. While there have been great moments of characterization for Wonder Woman it feels as though it is her book in title only and not in substance.

What this story does well is demonstrate her level of devotion to a cause and undeniable will to see it through to the end. Though not very epic, it is classic.

#25 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake said:

I dropped WW a while back. I'll pick it up when the whole Zola nonsense is over.

You haven't missed anything.

#26 Posted by judasnixon (6584 posts) - - Show Bio
@gokuwarrior: The truth is nerds are never going to agree. I love the series, you want it to go another direction. Both are fine points of views. Lets agree to disagree, and say cheers to the fact that Wonder Woman is one of the new 52 books Rob Liefeld didn't touch....
#27 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion: Does it still feel like a giant decompressed single arc?

#28 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: now you are contradicting yourself,you said you enjoy action when is epic and not fights and fights every issue,and i agree with that,that's why i don't like the fact that there hasn't been action at all in about 6 months,and none a single epic fight since the title started.

#29 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion: if they don't promote wonder woman properly she'll never sell,no matter how many times they change the writter,the title started with good sales,they should have made something to keep it up,wonder woman can't sell on name alone because they haven't made anything to promote her image in comics and outside comics,she had great story acrs in the past,but withou the proper support the potential is not well used.

#30 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake: Abso-freakin-lutely.

#31 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@Press Oblivion: if they don't promote wonder woman properly she'll never sell,no matter how many times they change the writter,the title started with good sales,they should have made something to keep it up,wonder woman can't sell on name alone because they haven't made anything to promote her image in comics and outside comics,she had great story acrs in the past,but withou the proper support the potential is not well used.

I agree.

The other thing about this never ending story is that it's impossible for new readers to jump on this title and fully understand its depth as each issue is so deeply dependent on the last.

#32 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion: the problem is that the story arc should have ended at issue 12,but as i said even if the story arc is great,it won't sell without the right support from DC,the potential has to be used and marketed properly.

#33 Posted by TDK_1997 (14895 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it better like this.That she is in her own place and she can't be interrupted.The story is big enough and it is cool to see more from her mythos.

#34 Posted by randolphdefreese (26 posts) - - Show Bio

(so far) 17 issues is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long for a single arc.can we end this please?

#35 Edited by drgnx (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

It is interesting,

I'll admit is seems kind of "draggy" but so are many of the other titles out there.

#36 Edited by drgnx (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW, completely changed my mind after reading the current Thor arc.

This Arc is a lot like Thor's current arc in that it deals with gods, but his is not just Earth, it deals with gods of the universe. He is currently tracking down a god killer, a mortal born who is on a mission to kill every god in the universe (every planet has at least one pantheon: some like earth, could have more). The arc is split in 3 timeliness with young Thor (pre-hammer), current Thor and Elder Thor (king and the last god in his timeline). The god would have killed young Thor had is followers not saved him, the god killer didn't want to kill mortals, allowing Thor to break free and take his arm. The foe went back in time (14 billion years) and took the heart of the newborn "first god" (non-eldar god that is) to prove life would have existed without him, it is shaping up to be pretty epic. All this in 5 issues (it also showed some other gods dying or dead and Thor investigating). The next chapter will probably be a 1 - 2 issue flashback of what turned the Foe into a villain.

That is how "God" writing should be done.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.