Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

New to WW and wanted help on how to start (noob status)

jonnytaco619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i recently got into comics about 2-3 months ago and i've always like Wonder Woman, but sadly never have read a comic and i wanted to read one that can really get me into the story, but i dont wanna start with like a random comic and not even know whats going on, so im asking for help on what to start with and maybe a little background story if its not too much, thanks (:

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By whygamespot

Welcome aboard! You can read her background on the character wiki, the button is right above your thread title on this page.

About comics, Perez's and Rucka's runs are well recognized. If you want to read her in the justice league, you might want to try the league of one.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By dshipp17

You can really start at about four different points. If you want to get a very thorough understanding of the character, over time, start at the start of Marston's run and advance forward. If you want to start with the modern version, than start at what is referred to as post-crisis with Perez and move forward. If you're interested in starting at an interesting point, you can start with Messner-Loebs' run at about Wonder Woman #63; this point is a different taste, or, start with Wonder Woman 1, if you have a taste that matches the more vocal crowd, but you might not like issue 63 through the start of Eric Luke's run. If you want to start with the very recent stuff, you can start with issue 600 (JMS/Hester) or at issue 1 of Azzarello's run.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i recently got into comics about 2-3 months ago and i've always like Wonder Woman, but sadly never have read a comic and i wanted to read one that can really get me into the story, but i dont wanna start with like a random comic and not even know whats going on, so im asking for help on what to start with and maybe a little background story if its not too much, thanks (:

the best=perez,ruka,simone,STAY AWAY FROM messner-loeb,the worst WW run ever.

WhineHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was in the same boat as you when I started getting into comics. I was a longtime Wonder Woman fan, but pretty green where her comics were concerned.

I started with her New 52 story and absolutely love it. It's really best to start at the beginning though, because Azzarello's story is quite sprawling and gives relevant information as it pertains to her (revamped and altered) New 52 history. Because of this, New 52 Wonder Woman is great to read as trades (Vol. 1: Blood., Vol. 2: Guts, and Vol. 3: Iron) until you catch up. I'd suggest that if you intend on following Wonder Woman from here on out.

Having enjoyed her New 52 comics, I started reading her older stories. I particularly loved Greg Rucka's run.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The general consensus seems to be that the Perez reboot from the 80s (getting harder to find the trades of this, but well worth it - still my favorite take on the character), the Greg Rucka stuff, and the more recent Gail Simone run are the three go-to places for the character.

The New 52 stuff isn't quite a reboot, but is close enough that if you want to just jump in there it will work, and it's a good story. It's detractors usually say that seems to be about the gods more than it is about Wonder Woman - she is kind of a secondary character in her own book.

As for my own opinion, I'm inclined to agree with the criticism of the New 52, but still look forward to Wonder Woman more than any other book.

ace20xd6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Her first two appearance, All Star Comics #8 and Sensation comics #1 are both free to read on Comixology, you can always start from there. And the Perez run is there too in case you ever have trouble finding it in print. Gail Simone's run is also pretty good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.