Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Misandry, Important to Amazon Culture?

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlackWind

There has often been confusion on how DC Amazons feel towards the male gender. Some believe they are man hating crazies who gut anything with a penis, or merely distrustful and guarded against men with no genuine hatred towards them.

How do you, the Wonder Womaan forum lurkers think about this subject?

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TimeLordScience

I would say the most familiar level of misandry involving WW is from the Justice League cartoon. I think it's done decently well there.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#3  Edited By RazzaTazz

I am not sure, it has been shown in a lot of different ways over the years.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jphulk26

@BlackWind:

"merely distrustful and guarded against men with no genuine hatred towards them." This.

The Amazons are a mere thought experiment of what an all or a female ruled society would be like. People shouldn´t be so suspicious. Its just literature. The first time they became male hating is in the New 52 version. However before The Amazons as envisaged by the creator of WW and all incarnations since (apart friom New 52) were just a reversal of the classical greek view of The Amazons, who were barabaric, uncivilized, men hating killers, who frequently dabbled in infanticide. W. Marston was a harvard psychologist who was very aware of classical mythology and wanted to use the Amazons as a feminist point of equality to show that an all female society could be more than the social propaganda that the Ancient Greeks promoted.

I think alot of young men are hostile to anything labeled feminist for the sake of it, and yet not one of them has even read a feminist text. In their mind they think I´m not sexist, and, they think well women now have equal rights, so whats their problem. They don´t get that, apart from women in the west women are still the impoverished, exploited and abused sex in the world by a long margin. They also have to contend with a bunch of pseudo feminist women who claim to be feminists, but who in fact just preach this meaningless girl power stuff, and who also just seem to be angry at men no matter who they are, as if men are all the same. Infact its become an almost staple and accepted thing to say men are all the same, as if it does not hurt our feelings. The fact is feminism is a whole spectrum and body of thought from various perspectives, written by both male and female scholars and social activists. Guys angrily are just responding to this paltry, popularized, watered down and meaningless version of feminism rather than seeing it is actually a much much more complex and interesting set of critiques of modern society. Just like there are spectrums of the civil rights movement or conservatism or liberalism, so are there different versions feminism. WW, should not be tarnished with the same brush as more extreme versions of feminism, as if feminism is just one thing.

Thats coming from a guy who used to think that way but I´ve now actually studied feminist thought and it is a very interesting set of ideas, not all of them do I agree with, but I nonetheless believe most of the books and ideas very thought provoking.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.