Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Meet the new Wonder Woman(S) Wait, wha?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By The_Ghostshell

In the latest TV Guide issue  they reveal (it may have been revealed before this, just sayin) that the current Wonder Woman tv show will portray the DC Icon with three separate identities. Wonder Woman the Amazonian Princess, bespectacled wearing Diana Prince (is she now Clark Kent?), and Diana Themyscira, owner of Themyscira Industries (Bruce Wayne anybody?). So basically its a combination of Superman and Batman's alter egos mixed in with Wonder Woman. Or at least thats my interpretation. I hope I'm wrong but I have a really bad feeling about this.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By warlock360

maybe it's kinda like a timeline identity or something, as in starts off as Amazonian Princess, then goes to Diana Prince and becomes renown as Diana Themyscira or something O.o

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

I was iffy about the show from the start. My feelings have only gone downhill with each new announcement

Palicki is a bad casting choice. Bridget Regan would have been MUCH better.

The leaked script is corny as hell and just suckish in general.

The costume is freaking atrocious anlooks like something you could buy at iParty for Halloween.

Now this?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @warlock360: I think the general story revolves around her trying to get back to Paradise Island. Not saying the timeline identity theory couldnt still work, but I see it as something more like, by normal day she breaks out the glasses and goes all nerd, but she also has a penthouse upstate for when she does the CEO thing. And then when she's fighting villains she busts out the WW gear. But who knows. Does she really need three separate identities? Or is it just an excuse for excessive costume/clothes changing.
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@The Dark Huntress: Absolutely LOVE that avatar icon right there, but all panting aside, I do believe you are right.  This is just getting out of hand with all these predictions.  The script is reeking more and more of Manhunter each and every little hint we are thrown.  Not even the subtle changes in the suit are raising my spirits now.
    Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#5  Edited By Outside_85

Nothing wrong with it from my pov, glasses worked for Clark and Diana wore red tinted glasses while she was an agent for the governement as the only 'mask'.

While i agree that the Themyscira Industries idea sounds a bit off, it's more Bruces and Power Girls department anyways, but on the whole its preferable to having her serve burgers. Also it gives a nice cover; how could a company director also be a superhero and make both work?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " I was iffy about the show from the start. My feelings have only gone downhill with each new announcement Palicki is a bad casting choice. Bridget Regan would have been MUCH better. The leaked script is corny as hell and just suckish in general. The costume is freaking atrocious anlooks like something you could buy at iParty for Halloween. Now this? "
    I feel the same way. I'm excited for Wonder Woman to finally get some airtime but if its horrible what are the chances we never see a WW live action movie?
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Lvenger

Hold on what? That's .... confusing to say the least. How is it implementing the Themyscira origins into this TV show? Why does she need 3 separate costumes? And finally which guide is this info from and when does the pilot air?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Lvenger:
    (it doesnt give the pilot air date)

No Caption Provided
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Lvenger
    @Gambler:  But the pilot's sometime in fall I gather? Ok thanks for the info. I'll keep my eye out for it. Not that I'll like it though. The WW TV show has disappointed me so far and I find it highly unlikely it'll be any better than average
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@The Dark Huntress said:

Bridget Regan would have been MUCH better

I'd save her for a live action movie (unlikely as it is), Bridget would just be wasted on this series.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

Please don't tell me she takes her costume out of drawer or changes in a phone booth. I'm assuming this show will have an hour long time slot, so how are they going to have enough time to make her have three identities in one episode? Sounds like Wonder Woman on this Multiple Personality Disorder. This show is going to flop and I'm going to watch it flop. If this show flops then an animated Wonder Woman show is out of the question.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Magian
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " I was iffy about the show from the start. My feelings have only gone downhill with each new announcement Palicki is a bad casting choice. Bridget Regan would have been MUCH better. The leaked script is corny as hell and just suckish in general. The costume is freaking atrocious anlooks like something you could buy at iParty for Halloween. Now this? "
    Pretty much this although I don't think that Palicki is such a bad choice.
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Its gonna suck, thats all i have to say lol

yeopop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By yeopop

This getting really ugly.
    WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By WDW
    @Gambler said:

" In the latest TV Guide issue  they reveal (it may have been revealed before this, just sayin) that the current Wonder Woman tv show will portray the DC Icon with three separate identities. Wonder Woman the Amazonian Princess, bespectacled wearing Diana Prince (is she now Clark Kent?), and Diana Themyscira, owner of Themyscira Industries (Bruce Wayne anybody?). So basically its a combination of Superman and Batman's alter egos mixed in with Wonder Woman. Or at least thats my interpretation. I hope I'm wrong but I have a really bad feeling about this. "

The media likes to distort what is really going on LOL. Wonder Woman only has 2 "REAL" identities. Wonder Woman/Diana Themysciara is one since everyone knows Diana Themysciara is Wonder Woman and Diana Prince is two which is her secret identity.Think of Wonder Woman as her STAGE NAME (given by the public/media) Diana Themysciara as her REAL NAME (legal name) and Diana Prince as her SECRET IDENTITY.

Sure Diana will profit from a company. However her company will mainly capitalise on the Wonder Woman name and sell Wonder Woman collectible items as its main source of revene. Some of the revenue will be used to fight crime/evil and some of the revenue is probably used in other business ventures. She kind of already does that in the comics. They just don't emphasize it since comics focus mainly the action and not the day to day activities of the superheros like this TV show will do. The fact that she openly profits from her company is probably why she uses the name Diana Themysciara which comes from the term "Diana Of Themyscira" just a legal issue so she can pay taxes :P

In the TV show Diana will be a billionaire and that is where the similarities between Batman and her end. In the Comics Wonder Woman is extremely rich being a Princess from Themysciara and an international ultra famous person.  Also, Wonder Woman does not hide her identity in the comics/TV show so she is able to profit from her identity and fame which she certainly does unlike Superman(who does not need money) and Batman(who is already rich)

Wonder Woman uses her Diana Prince alter ego so she can get away from all the fame/celebrity and adds another dimension to the show. She will wear glasses, contact lenses and have a different hair style but she also does that in the comics minus the contact lenses.

This is not going to be a "comicbook" TV show. However nothing I have read about the show violates who Wonder Woman is and does in the comics. What this TV show is going to do, based on comments from David E Kelley, is focus on Wonder Woman's life when she is not Wonder Woman. I think that concept will put off a lot of comic book fans if they are expecting a comic book type TV show. Personally, I like the shows concept. I think a MOVIE is more suited for the comic book adaption. 

Warner Bros. approched David E Kelley to write the script for the show. This show is an attempt to humanise Wonder Woman. Hopefully the show will succeed in that endevor so she won't simply be known for being very pretty superhero who wears a "patriotic" star spangled costume :P

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @WDW said:

"  

However nothing I have read about the show violates who Wonder Woman is and does in the comics."

I'mma start here cause within your own post you point out a couple examples that do exactly that. The first:

Think of Wonder Woman as her STAGE NAME (given by the public/media)

Stage Name? This right here is a violation of who she is and does in comics. Wonder Woman is a Mantle. A Mantle won through a series of fierce Amazonian competition. Not a media slogan/nickname granted by the Paparazzi. But I dont wanna sound to fanboyish so thats a minor one.

Next:

Wonder Woman/Diana Themysciara is one since everyone knows Diana Themysciara is Wonder Woman and Diana Prince is two which is her secret identity.

Only all indications point to her having "3" identities, not the typical duel identities. There will be Wonder Woman, who's goal is to find her way home. Diana Themysciara the Bruce Wayne rip off, and Diana Prince, the humble Clark Kent everyday woman rip-off. Early reports suggested it was Sex in the City(ish) and after this latest piece of information I'm starting to see why.

@WDW said:

In the TV show Diana will be a billionaire and that is where the similarities between Batman and her end. In the Comics Wonder Woman is extremely rich being a Princess from Themysciara and an international ultra famous person.  Also, Wonder Woman does not hide her identity in the comics/TV show so she is able to profit from her identity and fame which she certainly does unlike Superman(who does not need money) and Batman(who is already rich)

"
    The similarities will extend beyond being a billionaire since she's now suddenly the owner of some multinational cooperation. Themysciara Industries/Wayne Industries. She may be wealthy in the comics but she is not portrayed as such. Her station has always been that of a warrior. There may have been one to issues were she's actually depicted as rich and eachtime she was awkward about it. Not sure what you're saying in the second half...You're right about her not hiding her identity in the comics which makes the fact that she's doing it on the tv show all the more ridiculous.

@WDW said:

Wonder Woman uses her Diana Prince alter ego so she can get away from all the fame/celebrity and adds another dimension to the show.

"
    You're right, it adds another dimension to the show. A "Sex in the City" dimension :P I'm honestly not trying to sound like an @sshole, or dismiss your post (it was obviously very well thought out). I'm just highly disappointed in the apparent direction of the show.

@WDW said:

Sure Diana will profit from a company. However her company will mainly capitalise on the Wonder Woman name and sell Wonder Woman collectible items as its main source of revene. Some of the revenue will be used to fight crime/evil and some of the revenue is probably used in other business ventures. She kind of already does that in the comics. They just don't emphasize it since comics focus mainly the action and not the day to day activities of the superheros like this TV show will do. The fact that she openly profits from her company is probably why she uses the name Diana Themysciara which comes from the term "Diana Of Themyscira" just a legal issue so she can pay taxes :P

"
    I dont even know where to start with this. So Wonder Woman's sold out? Have they completely stripped away her warrior identity? She'll have a secret identity that PIMPS her real identities merchandise? And you dont see this as a violation of who she is in the comics? I admit, I may not know as much about her as you, but when does she "kind of" generate revenue for herself to fight crime? She's an ambassador between Paradise Island and the rest of the World. She was briefly an agent of the U.S. Government, but neither of those were to generate revenue. At least not that I can remember. I could be wrong. If I am then thats my bad.

@WDW said:

Wonder Woman uses her Diana Prince alter ego so she can get away from all the fame/celebrity and adds another dimension to the show. She will wear glasses, contact lenses and have a different hair style but she also does that in the comics minus the contact lenses."

Yeah, she'll slap on a pair of glasses (Clark Kent) and magically no one will be able to recognize this "Ultra Famous" person. Cause I mean, we all know that as soon as Nicki Minaj or Kim Kardash throw on a pair of specs they look like completely different people -___- lol

@WDW said:

Warner Bros. approched David E Kelley to write the script for the show. This show is an attempt to humanise Wonder Woman. Hopefully the show will succeed in that endevor so she won't simply be known for being very pretty superhero who wears a "patriotic" star spangled costume :P

"
    Which is a shame. You would think a tv show about a "Comicbook Character" would be tailored (or at least lean favorable towards) the core audience as opposed to the "Cougar Town/Sex in the City/Modern Girls" crowed. They've turned WW into Liz Lemon lol

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WDW
    @Gambler:

@Gambler

said:

Wonder Woman is a Mantle. A Mantle won through a series of fierce Amazonian competition. Not a media slogan/nickname granted by the Paparazzi. But I dont wanna sound to fanboyish so thats a minor one.

Actually the name "Wonder Woman" was given to her by the MEDIA and officially recommended for public use as a superhero name by her publicist Mindi Mayer. Ok I was being a bit facetious when I referred to it as her stage name but the fact is the media gave her the name Wonder Woman. She did not bring that name from Themysciara.  So this is not a violation (ref PEREZ Wonder Woman issue #7 page 18)

No Caption Provided

Only all indications point to her having "3" identities, not the typical duel identities. There will be Wonder Woman, who's goal is to find her way home. Diana Themysciara the Bruce Wayne rip off, and Diana Prince, the humble Clark Kent everyday woman rip-off. Early reports suggested it was Sex in the City(ish) and after this latest piece of information I'm starting to see why.

Wonder Woman is the name everyone knows her by. Her real name is Diana Themyiscara and she does not try to hide the fact that Diana Themyiscara is Wonder Woman in the TV show. This specific information was provided by a number of sources that claim to have read the script. Honestly we know next to nothing about Diana Themyiscara so to to call her a Bruce Wayne rip off because her source of income comes from a corporation named Themysciara industires seems a bit pre-mature but thats your opinion so not going to argue that. However, the fact is that Wonder Woman does allow her likness to be used for dolls and other collectible items in the comics so this does not violate the comics (ref PEREZ Wonder Woman Vol 2 issue #7 page 19; Wonder Woman Vol 3 issue # 35

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

The similarities will extend beyond being a billionaire since she's now suddenly the owner of some multinational cooperation. Themysciara Industries/Wayne Industries. She may be wealthy in the comics but she is not portrayed as such. Her station has always been that of a warrior. There may have been one to issues were she's actually depicted as rich and eachtime she was awkward about it. Not sure what you're saying in the second half...You're right about her not hiding her identity in the comics which makes the fact that she's doing it on the tv show all the more ridiculous.

I would say a better similarity would be between Themysciara Industires and Veidt Industires from Watchmen. Themysciara industires is a multinational corporation which sells Wonder Woman trademark collectibles.  Wonder Woman for all intents and purposes is the most well known person in the world. Why wouldn't she be ultra rich? she would not even have to try to be rich especially since she does not really hide her superhero identity. Money would be thrown at her. Also, based on the script she is kind of awkward about having all that money so it still works. I think the point a lot of people are missing is that this show is not focusing on the "warrior" Wonder Woman. Yes she is a warrior and will be one in the show but what does a warrior do from day to day? she can only sharpen her sword so much. The concept of what Wonder Woman does day to day does not violate the comics which simply highlights the Warrior action and tell us little about the other aspects in the day to day life of Diana

You're right, it adds another dimension to the show. A "Sex in the City" dimension :P I'm honestly not trying to sound like an @sshole, or dismiss your post (it was obviously very well thought out). I'm just highly disappointed in the apparent direction of the show.

Honestly I see no other way for the show to be a success. Success will not live or die at the behest of Wonder Woman comic book fans. Wonder Woman sells like 40K copies a month. So let's just say she has 100k hardcore fans who buy her comics all the time and lets add another 100k comic book fans that buy sometimes for good measure. That's 200k dedicated Wonder Woman fans. This show needs upwards of 12 million viewers mostly ranging from 18-45 to be a success. If it's a successful as "SEX IN THE CITY" I will be really happy.

whether or not the show is like "Sex in the City" remains to be seen. Personally I don't think it will be but I highly doubt it will please comic-book fans regardless. However I still don't think the show violates Wonder Woman's character. If just gives us a behind the scenes day to day view of who she is and what makes her happy or pisses her off outside of evil gods trying to kill her.

I dont even know where to start with this. So Wonder Woman's sold out? Have they completely stripped away her warrior identity? She'll have a secret identity that PIMPS her real identities merchandise? And you dont see this as a violation of who she is in the comics? I admit, I may not know as much about her as you, but when does she "kind of" generate revenue for herself to fight crime? She's an ambassador between Paradise Island and the rest of the World. She was briefly an agent of the U.S. Government, but neither of those were to generate revenue. At least not that I can remember. I could be wrong. If I am then thats my bad.

In the show Diana Themysciara who everybody knows as Wonder Woman owns a company that sells Wonder Woman merchandise. I don't see that as a violation since she approved collectible Wonder Woman trademark items and authorised a Wonder Woman movie in the comics.  The Comics do imply that she does profit from merchandizing but she lets her agents and publicists handle all the day to day. In the comics she also gets income from the Justice League as do all the heroes but since there is no Justice League in this TV show I personally think it's only natural for Diana to do the obvious thing and make money by merchandising her trademark items. It does not violate anything about Wonder Woman's personality from the comics. These issues are simply explored more in the TV show than in the comics. And as a side note. In the show Wonder Woman works to support her crime fighing. I highly doubt she is in it to get rich however it would almost be impossible to not become rich owning Themysciara industires since it is a company and the day to day operations are run by the CEO.

Yeah, she'll slap on a pair of glasses (Clark Kent) and magically no one will be able to recognize this "Ultra Famous" person. Cause I mean, we all know that as soon as Nicki Minaj or Kim Kardash throw on a pair of specs they look like completely different people -___- lol

Well in the comics she does just that but she also has a "magical glamor charm" ie spin transformation which hides her identity when she needs to which does not violate the comics (not sure if she will have that in the TV show). Atleast its better then Clark Kents explanation :P

Which is a shame. You would think a tv show about a "Comicbook Character" would be tailored (or at least lean favorable towards) the core audience as opposed to the "Cougar Town/Sex in the City/Modern Girls" crowed. They've turned WW into Liz Lemon lol

Most people know Wonder Woman from the 1970's TV show not the Comics. I am sure Kelley is concentrating on that demographic. Personally I think the 1970's show was FAR worse then what is being described in this new show. If I was a producer and wanted to make the show a success I would probably do something along the lines of what Kelley is doing and try to capture the people who know Wonder Woman from the 1970's show. 15 million viewers per week is a lot of people versus the 200k Wonder Woman fans that might get pissed off by a TV show which if successful will actually improve the chances of a more comic book centric animated movie TV series and live action movie. :P

True comic book based TV shows are much better suited as animation. Not a prime time TV show like Wonder Woman is going to be. If this show is a success then another animated movie or an animated TV series could be on the way and of course a LIVE action movie is already in the works. Personally I think Wonder Woman comic book fans should support this TV show. I think it's a first step in building a proper Wonder Woman live action and animated TV series franchise. If the show sucks because the actors and story is boring then its fair game for ridicule. but personally I dont think people should say it sucks because its not what they are used to. The show is just a means to an end.

Well this is a Comicbook site so I know I am preaching to the devil LOL :P (steps off the stage before the rotten tomatos begin to fly)

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @WDW said:
    "Actually the name "Wonder Woman" was given to her by the MEDIA and officially recommended for public use as a superhero name by her publicist Mindi Mayer. Ok I was being a bit facetious when I referred to it as her stage name but the fact is the media gave her the name Wonder Woman. She did not bring that name from Themysciara.  So this is not a violation (ref PEREZ Wonder Woman issue #7 page 18)
    No Caption Provided
    Nice scan. However, if the media originally came up with the Wonder Woman name in issue 7 of Perez' run then how is it possible that Queen Hippolyta was the original Wonder Woman? Also, during the "The Contest"  story arc (Bill Messner - Leobs) the name Wonder Woman is indeed treated as a mantle and not a Media coined term.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

"I won the contest. I won the right to be Wonder Woman."

Having said that, there's also her statement from v3 #2

No Caption Provided

"I never called myself Wonder Woman (except in the scan above lol :P) the press did."

So I'm somewhat confused as to where it originated from. Like I asked above, if the media did indeed coin the term in issue #7, then where did her mother originally gain the name?

@WDW said:
    "
    Wonder Woman is the name everyone knows her by. Her real name is Diana Themyiscara and she does not try to hide the fact that Diana Themyiscara is Wonder Woman in the TV show."
    Couple points here. You're leaving out the Diana Prince identity which has also been confirmed by several sources. Which seems to contradict the notion that she is not trying to hide her identity. Why wear glasses as part of an alternate persona if indeed she is not being portrayed as hiding her identity? Its possible its simply a fashion statement but its odd that one identity wears them while the other two do not if in fact all three are commonly known as Wonder Woman.

@WDW said:
    "  Honestly we know next to nothing about Diana Themyiscara so to to call her a Bruce Wayne rip off because her source of income comes from a corporation named Themysciara industires seems a bit pre-mature but thats your opinion so not going to argue that."
    Its okay, healthy disagreement can be a good thing when expressed in a respectful manner :) Its not simply her source of income that draws easy comparisons to Bruce Wayne. On the surface its an instant point of comparison. But we can agree to disagree.

@WDW said:
    "  However, the fact is that Wonder Woman does allow her likness to be used for dolls and other collectible items in the comics so this does not violate the comics (ref PEREZ Wonder Woman Vol 2 issue #7 page 19; Wonder Woman Vol 3 issue # 35

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    "
    Very nice. But allowing her likeness to be used through her agent, and actually using her own Corporation to sell herself are two different things. You'll notice in the second scan she even has an inner monologue about "I may have to start paying more attention to my likeness approval." Its not something she pays attention to let alone builds revenue around. She certainly doesn't use it to fund her crime fighting which seems like another easy comparison to Bruce/Bats. In the first scan it states "I know she desires not Remuneration" (compensation). So the fact that she now Pimps herself/likeness in the TV show is in stark contrast to even the scans you posted. Although having seen those it does make the transition a little easier to swallow :)

@WDW said:
    "  

Honestly I see no other way for the show to be a success. Success will not live or die at the behest of Wonder Woman comic book fans. Wonder Woman sells like 40K copies a month. So let's just say she has 100k hardcore fans who buy her comics all the time and lets add another 100k comic book fans that buy sometimes for good measure. That's 200k dedicated Wonder Woman fans. This show needs upwards of 12 million viewers mostly ranging from 18-45 to be a success. If it's a successful as "SEX IN THE CITY" I will be really happy.

whether or not the show is like "Sex in the City" remains to be seen. Personally I don't think it will be but I highly doubt it will please comic-book fans regardless. However I still don't think the show violates Wonder Woman's character. If just gives us a behind the scenes day to day view of who she is and what makes her happy or pisses her off outside of evil gods trying to kill her"

I respectfully disagree. A Wonder Woman TV that mirrored or at least came close to the comic version would not only be watched by the die hard WW fans, but comicbook fans and "nerds" for lack of a better term all over. The same audience who religiously watched Xena would watch a Wonder Woman TV show.  Its not about how well her comic sells. The Watchman (although a successful comic) reached well beyond the typical comic fans to people who had never read the comic. If somethings good, people will watch.

You may be happy if this show is as successful as Sex in the City, but if its a watered down version of a chick with powers trying to find her place in the real World through shopping, dating, and her job, while all but neglecting the true heritage of the comic version, then I'd say the success came at to high a price.

You're right though, it remains to be seen if in fact its Sex in the Cityish. But those same sources you refereed to earlier are the same ones who original dropped this comparison. Comicbook fans are impossible to please :D however all early indications point to the fact that they're not even going to try. Which will be sad if that is indeed the case. Sorry, but I dont wanna see the "behind the scenes day to day life of Diana Themyscira." If its sprinkled in there along the way cool, but I'm sure fans of WW and general comic fans would rather see Wonder Woman, member of the DCU Trinity and Amazon warrior princess. There's no reason why a show about a comicbook character would have to be anything other then that in order to be successful. In my opinion (if the rumors are true) this will be a horrible way to introduce her to the general public. It should be a show that makes people wanna go out and pick up Wonder Woman, not have em saying, "Yup, I knew I wasnt missing anything by not reading that."

@WDW said:
    " Well in the comics she does just that but she also has a "magical glamor charm" ie spin transformation which hides her identity when she needs to which does not violate the comics (not sure if she will have that in the TV show). Atleast its better then Clark Kents explanation :P"
    LoL touche

No Caption Provided

@WDW said:
    "  

Most people know Wonder Woman from the 1970's TV show not the Comics. I am sure Kelley is concentrating on that demographic. Personally I think the 1970's show was FAR worse then what is being described in this new show. If I was a producer and wanted to make the show a success I would probably do something along the lines of what Kelley is doing and try to capture the people who know Wonder Woman from the 1970's show. 15 million viewers per week is a lot of people versus the 200k Wonder Woman fans that might get pissed off by a TV show which if successful will actually improve the chances of a more comic book centric animated movie TV series and live action movie. :P"

Never watched the 70's show but I've seen clips. But comparing anything from the 70's to now is somewhat misleading. Different time, different demographic, different attitude towards comicbook interpretations. Just having a comicbook character on tv back then was an accomplishment. Saying that it worse then whats being projected now doesn't mean that whats being projected now isn't awful. In my opinion thats not a compliment. Saying, "Yeah well it doesn't suck as bad as the original" shouldnt be the goal we're aiming for here. Again, it wont be just the 200k WW comic readers who tune in to watch, but comic fans and fans of action like tv shows. If its simply a woman with abilities who's main premise is her day to day life....yeah, I see that being hugely successful. It'll be to cheesy for the "Real Housewives of Orange County" viewers and to "Keeping up the Kardashians" for comicfans to stomach. Which wont lead to anything but another 30+ years of Wonder Woman being absent from the screen.

@WDW said:
    " True comic book based TV shows are much better suited as animation. Not a prime time TV show like Wonder Woman is going to be. If this show is a success then another animated movie or an animated TV series could be on the way and of course a LIVE action movie is already in the works. Personally I think Wonder Woman comic book fans should support this TV show. I think it's a first step in building a proper Wonder Woman live action and animated TV series franchise. If the show sucks because the actors and story is boring then its fair game for ridicule. but personally I dont think people should say it sucks because its not what they are used to. The show is just a means to an end.

Well this is a Comicbook site so I know I am preaching to the devil LOL :P (steps off the stage before the rotten tomatos begin to fly)"

Wonder Woman fans "Want" to support this show. But that doesn't mean they should be happy with whatever the network throws out there. This is why all the early reports have them upset/discouraged/worried. I dont think anyone is expecting a dead on interpretation/adaptation, but come on. When early reviews are comparing it to Sex in the City then of course theres going to be heavy opinions tossed around. Do we know for sure? Nope. Is the news/early reports encouraging? Nope. Should fans be nervous? Hellz yeah lol. Why does it have to be a building block or stepping stone? My fingers are crossed, I'll watch and give it every opportunity. However hating something because it sucks, and hating it because its not something your use to are two separate things.

Exactly. And she's a comicbook character. It isnt/shouldnt be a stretch for people to assume/want her to resemble such :P I'll hold my tomato until after the pilot lol
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Mercy_
    @Gambler said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    I feel the same way. I'm excited for Wonder Woman to finally get some airtime but if its horrible what are the chances we never see a WW live action movie? "
    Yeah....this is gonna be like the Birds of Prey show in that they had an amazing opportunity and are screwing it up in a pretty big way. This doesn't even seem to be following any sort of comics continuity, which may be fine for people who have never read a Wonder Woman comic before, but let's be honest...those aren't the people who are the main audience. 

To say that my expectations of this show are low is a bit of an understatement. 
    WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WDW
    @Gambler:

Nice scan. However, if the media originally came up with the Wonder Woman name in issue 7 of Perez' run then how is it possible that Queen Hippolyta was the original Wonder Woman? Also, during the "The Contest"  story arc (Bill Messner - Leobs) the name Wonder Woman is indeed treated as a mantle and not a Media coined term.

"I won the contest. I won the right to be Wonder Woman."

Having said that, there's also her statement from v3 #2 
    "I never called myself Wonder Woman (except in the scan above lol :P) the press did."
    So I'm somewhat confused as to where it originated from. Like I asked above, if the media did indeed coin the term in issue #7, then where did her mother originally gain the name?

Well Wonder Woman is convoluted like all comics I supposed. But there is evidence supporting the claim that the press named Wonder Woman which supports my original argument for the show that Wonder Woman is kind of just her "stage name" The name everyone knows her by but her real name is Diana Themysciara (shrug) :P

Couple points here. You're leaving out the Diana Prince identity which has also been confirmed by several sources. Which seems to contradict the notion that she is not trying to hide her identity. Why wear glasses as part of an alternate persona if indeed she is not being portrayed as hiding her identity? Its possible its simply a fashion statement but its odd that one identity wears them while the other two do not if in fact all three are commonly known as Wonder Woman.

As Diana Prince she is hiding her identity yes but also, as Diana Prince she is not known as the owner of her corporation and she is also not known to be Wonder Woman. I guess my original point is she really only has 2 idenities meaning as Diana Prince she is not Wonder Woman but as Wonder Woman she is Wonder Woman and as Diana Theymiscara she is still Wonder Woman. In the orignal post you said she will have 3 idenities(just like all the reviews are also saying) which is not really accurate and probably confuses most Wonder Woman newbies (I know your not a newbie).  Example EMINEM is Marshell Mathers. He does not have 2 seperate idenities per say. Atleast tthats  how I see it. The same applies to Wonder Woman and Diana Theymiscara.... Diana Prince is the secret idenitiy. If Wonder Woman was completely seperating all 3 identities then I would also have issue with it. I think its best to watch the show and see how it all works. I just know when Diana is Diana Prince she is trying to feel normal... or maybe she is using it as part of her crime fighting.... like going undercover. Who knows at this point. :)

Its okay, healthy disagreement can be a good thing when expressed in a respectful manner :) Its not simply her source of income that draws easy comparisons to Bruce Wayne. On the surface its an instant point of comparison. But we can agree to disagree.

Phew you has me on the ropes there LOL. anyway I just want to see how that plays out for me it kind of seems natural for her to do this based on what I have read on WonderWoman

@WDW

said:

"  However, the fact is that Wonder Woman does allow her likness to be used for dolls and other collectible items in the comics so this does not violate the comics (ref PEREZ Wonder Woman Vol 2 issue #7 page 19; Wonder Woman Vol 3 issue # 35

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    "

Very nice. But allowing her likeness to be used through her agent, and actually using her own Corporation to sell herself are two different things. You'll notice in the second scan she even has an inner monologue about "I may have to start paying more attention to my likeness approval." Its not something she pays attention to let alone builds revenue around. She certainly doesn't use it to fund her crime fighting which seems like another easy comparison to Bruce/Bats. In the first scan it states "I know she desires not Remuneration" (compensation). So the fact that she now Pimps herself/likeness in the TV show is in stark contrast to even the scans you posted. Although having seen those it does make the transition a little easier to swallow :)

I would not say she pimps herself. The way I look at it, the fame and fortune in unavoidable. People would literally be begging for her likeness on just about everything just like in the real world(famous people). I actually think Diana would find it rude not to comply. It would be easy enough for her agent Mindi Mayer  to parlay all that fame into a multi-billion dollar company from a simple consent form filled out by Diana to use her likeness. Diana is not involved in the day to day operations (kind of like BRUCE WAYNE ..... sidesteps a tomato.....) In the TV show Diana is supposed to be ULTRA famous.

Yeah in the TV script there is a scene where she actually is in a board meeting holding an Asian Wonder Woman doll doing exactly what she says she is going to do in the above scan (SEE SCAN BELOW)..... In the script it also says she is not really paying attention to what goes on in the day to day of the company she is not really interested in it. Again we have to see how it plays out but that scene in the script seems like a direct extension to the above scan. I like the fact that this Wonder Woman will explore all the little nuances left hanging in the comics and also give us more personal info about Wonder Woman besides her being a Warrior. The comics never really close the door on the possiblity that she has a company that markets her likness.... Thats what I mean when I say what kelley is doing does not really violate Wonder Womans characters. It may strech certain aspects but so far nothing important is broken character wise.

No Caption Provided

I respectfully disagree. A Wonder Woman TV that mirrored or at least came close to the comic version would not only be watched by the die hard WW fans, but comicbook fans and "nerds" for lack of a better term all over. The same audience who religiously watched Xena would watch a Wonder Woman TV show.  Its not about how well her comic sells. The Watchman (although a successful comic) reached well beyond the typical comic fans to people who had never read the comic. If somethings good, people will watch.

You may be happy if this show is as successful as Sex in the City, but if its a watered down version of a chick with powers trying to find her place in the real World through shopping, dating, and her job, while all but neglecting the true heritage of the comic version, then I'd say the success came at to high a price.

You're right though, it remains to be seen if in fact its Sex in the Cityish. But those same sources you refereed to earlier are the same ones who original dropped this comparison. Comicbook fans are impossible to please :D however all early indications point to the fact that they're not even going to try. Which will be sad if that is indeed the case. Sorry, but I dont wanna see the "behind the scenes day to day life of Diana Themyscira." If its sprinkled in there along the way cool, but I'm sure fans of WW and general comic fans would rather see Wonder Woman, member of the DCU Trinity and Amazon warrior princess. There's no reason why a show about a comicbook character would have to be anything other then that in order to be successful. In my opinion (if the rumors are true) this will be a horrible way to introduce her to the general public. It should be a show that makes people wanna go out and pick up Wonder Woman, not have em saying, "Yup, I knew I wasnt missing anything by not reading that."

Yeah we probably will disagree here but  Wonder Woman is going to be in prime time XENA was not prime time it was Saturday afternoon. There are not enough nerds... 15million of them that are going to tune into a pure comicbook based show in primetime. Creating Wonder Woman or any popular DC hero comes with a VERY hefty licence fee so the show must capture a very wide audience. 15 million people did not tune into XENA every week. Smallville avoided the hefty licence fee by disallowing Clark to fly and wear a costume or even mention the name Superman but it still worked. Wonder Woman is going full blown.

Never watched the 70's show but I've seen clips. But comparing anything from the 70's to now is somewhat misleading. Different time, different demographic, different attitude towards comicbook interpretations. Just having a comicbook character on tv back then was an accomplishment. Saying that it worse then whats being projected now doesn't mean that whats being projected now isn't awful. In my opinion thats not a compliment. Saying, "Yeah well it doesn't suck as bad as the original" shouldnt be the goal we're aiming for here. Again, it wont be just the 200k WW comic readers who tune in to watch, but comic fans and fans of action like tv shows. If its simply a woman with abilities who's main premise is her day to day life....yeah, I see that being hugely successful. It'll be to cheesy for the "Real Housewives of Orange County" viewers and to "Keeping up the Kardashians" for comicfans to stomach. Which wont lead to anything but another 30+ years of Wonder Woman being absent from the screen.

Heh well I see so many people trying to compare the show with the original 1970's show so I assumed everyone has seen it. :P I will just withdraw from my comments regarding the old show :P I think 1970s show sucks and yet I still watch it LOL go figure. I guess I like making fun of it..... its like good and bad at the same time..... mostly its the production value that makes it so bad

Wonder Woman fans "Want" to support this show. But that doesn't mean they should be happy with whatever the network throws out there. This is why all the early reports have them upset/discouraged/worried. I dont think anyone is expecting a dead on interpretation/adaptation, but come on. When early reviews are comparing it to Sex in the City then of course theres going to be heavy opinions tossed around. Do we know for sure? Nope. Is the news/early reports encouraging? Nope. Should fans be nervous? Hellz yeah lol. Why does it have to be a building block or stepping stone? My fingers are crossed, I'll watch and give it every opportunity. However hating something because it sucks, and hating it because its not something your use to are two separate things.

Yeah I get what you are saying however, Kelley and Warner Bros are making no secret that the show is going to be Wonder Woman reimagined. They are not trying to do a comic book adaption so I figured people would take that into account before they pan the show. Looking at all the prime time shows currently showing now, I find it impossible for anyone to do a "proper" action packed Wonder Woman live action TV show or any DC comic primetime TV show.

Personally I would prefer an action packed XENA like show (probably because that is what is familiar) even if they had to do it on Saturday afternoon but I totally understand why this show is going to be this way. I like Kelleys shows and writing so maybe I am biased. but I think this show can be a sucsess. I am 80% sure comic book fans will not like it thou kind of like Smallville

Having said all that, its obvious to me that Kelley did research by reading some of Wonder Woman's most popular comics. He has a lot of elements from PEREZ and Rucka. On a positive note all sources confirm that Wonder Woman will certainly kick some serious BUTT when she is Wonder Woman (in costume). Nothing that I have read violates important aspects of Wonder Womans character. Everything seems to be intact.

I'll hold my tomato until after the pilot lol 

THANKS! :P
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I had a bad feeling about this from the word go, but then I am not as big a WW fan as you

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Apparently "she pines for Steve like Carrie does for Big"

Someone nuke this series to Hell, quickly.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Xanni15

I guess we were all lucky that NBC declined to buy the series, guess they must have saw what we all already knew.

Edit: Just noticed how old this blog post was, oh boy.

Avatar image for name_already_chosen
    name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambler: @Gambler said:

bespectacled wearing Diana Prince (is she now Clark Kent?)

In the first few appearances of Wonder Woman three quarters of a century ago, she wore glasses in her disguise as Nurse Diana Prince. (She also altered her hair significantly and tried to control both her voice and her facial contortions, according to the Golden Age comic book stories.) If you take a look at the thick, heavy glasses that were the norm in the 1930s and 1940s, you will realize that they would have worked almost as well as a mask at disguising a person back then, so neither Diana's nor Clark's chosen disguises were unrealistic at the time. We forget how much more comfortable and unintrusive our modern eye glasses happen to be!

I realize this is an older post about a series that has gone from announced to cancelled, but I think we need to remember our comic book history about matters such as Diana's spectacles. Diana Prince's glasses are part of her earliest appearances and not a modern effort to imitate Clark Kent!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@name_already_chosen said:

I realize this is an older post about a series that has gone from announced to cancelled, but I think we need to remember our comic book history about matters such as Diana's spectacles. Diana Prince's glasses are part of her earliest appearances and not a modern effort to imitate Clark Kent!

I get what you're saying, but I'm not buying that it was some sort of Easter Egg/Tip of the Hat to 1930's Wonder Woman. I think you're giving the creators of this failed series way to much credit. I dont think they knew anything about Modern Day Wonder Woman let alone 1930's Wonder Woman. Could be wrong though, its happened once or twice.

name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambler: From what I've read, the Wonder Woman series prospect failed in part because the creative folk and the suits couldn't work well together. This fits well with my own experiences with Hollywood from a ways back.

So I suspect the creative folk gave the glasses because, really, her use of glasses is actually fairly well known among those of us who began reading superhero comic books before Crisis on Infinite Earths. So it was not an obscure Easter Egg to the 1930s but a recognition of something periodically reoccuring in her appearances into the 1970s.

I also suspect the suits really didn't care whether Clark Kent had glasses any more than they cared whether Diana Prince did -- what they would have cared about is the superhero merchandisiing, and neither of them wear glasses in costume!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@name_already_chosen: Well consider me educated :)

name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambler: Thank you, although sometimes it seems as though the purpose of the New 52 is to render obsolete any and all superhero memories that are more than a few years old, so I don't know how much longer anyone will care about the history of these characters.

I happen to like the Golden Age collections I have purchased (as well as Silver Age, Bronze Age, and whatever the age until 2010 was labelled)! I hate to see more than a half century of heritage cast away, and sometimes it feels as though that is the primary purpose of the New 52.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.