Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Make Wonder Woman Nonviolent

Avatar image for antinatalistaggie
    antinatalistaggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By antinatalistaggie

I believe her original incarnation was intended to be just that; now she wields a sword and murders just like the villains she opposes.

You cannot bring peace to man's world with your fists and a sword...

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say completely nonviolent but not compassionate and less eager to fight. She's a warrior I know but still, she is worse now in new 52 in terms of personality.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Wolverine008
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@jayc1324 said:

I wouldn't say completely nonviolent but not compassionate and less eager to fight. She's a warrior I know but still, she is worse now in new 52 in terms of personality.

I wanna see a pacificst super hero movie

"WONDER WOMAN! CIRQUES BRINGING WAR TO THE WORLD WITH AMAZONS"

"Stay calm, we'll hunger strike until they decide we can't be stopped."

"You're not serious?! They just killed Batman, HELP US!"

"Peace my sisters, sit with me and sing.."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!"

antinatalistaggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecheesestabber: The nonviolent fight back; they are not passive, they actively resist.

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

antinatalistaggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecheesestabber: Isn't Dove the only DC Character who ascribes to such a philosophy?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Outside_85

Pacifism has sorta proven by now that it doesn't work when applied to a superhero, doesn't make for very exciting storytelling anyways.

@thecheesestabber: Isn't Dove the only DC Character who ascribes to such a philosophy?

She's the only one that continues to try and ascribe to it. Raven started out as an extreme pacifist that wouldn't even help out in a fight, but it was a mindset that slowly disappeared from her (and which might have caused her fall in Terror of Trigon).

antinatalistaggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Examples of her using nonviolent solutions to subdue super powered opponents:

With such colossal strength as Hercules', she could easily grapple against opponents and hold them at bay while she talked them down without having to strike them.

With her bracelets she could harmlessly deflect any offensive attacks away from noncombatants while also preserving her own life while seeking a solution.

With the beauty of Athena, she could easily seduce opponents into submission.

With her unbreakable lasso of truth she can harmlessly bind an opponent and have it's truth telling magic have the villain experience the conviction of their consciousness and confess their deeds.

With the speed of Hermes she could easily dodge and sidestep super speed attacks; her opponents would swing and miss until they tired, allowing her to negotiate a solution.

Nonviolent solutions require creativity and very ingenious writing.

It is the laziest form of storytelling to resolve a conflict with: "The villain punched, but the hero punched harder. And they lived happily ever after..."

antinatalistaggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: How are nonviolent solutions unexciting? If you're looking for punching and unrestrained destruction isn't that what the villains exist for?

Why have a hero resort to the same behavior?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: How are nonviolent solutions unexciting? If you're looking for punching and unrestrained destruction isn't that what the villains exist for?

Why have a hero resort to the same behavior?

Some people enjoy a good brawl.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you're looking for non-violence you might try something other than super heroes. Maybe Archie comics.

antinatalistaggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: How about a brawl between villains?

Or a brawl between a villain and an anti-hero?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: How about a brawl between villains?

Or a brawl between a villain and an anti-hero?

I enjoy all forms of brawling. And I do enjoy peaceful heroes for what they are as well. I do enjoy watching wonder woman pummel though.

antinatalistaggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: I guess that's why the parallel universes exist; in the New 52 Wonder Woman can indulge in the violence she desires while in another she can exist as the peaceful, nonviolent heroine I long for.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Outside_85

@antinatalistaggie: Have you ever tried watching a debate from the UN Security Council?

Also, even under Marston she wasn't a pacifist, back then it was just Nazi's who got beaten up and sometimes killed.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: I guess that's why the parallel universes exist; in the New 52 Wonder Woman can indulge in the violence she desires while in another she can exist as the peaceful, nonviolent heroine I long for.

are there stories where she is the way you want her to be? Could be an interesting read

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@thecheesestabber:

"ooooh chiiild things are gonna get easier......"

*Superman's dismembered head flies by"

"Sing LOUDER BITCHES"

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecheesestabber:

"ooooh chiiild things are gonna get easier......"

*Superman's dismembered head flies by"

"Sing LOUDER BITCHES"

AMAZONIANS THE WORLD IS OURS!

"See we didn't fight back and now the fightings over..."

*Entire world is polluted, covered in gore and ash*

:3

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#21  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Its been a long day, lemme see if I can muster something up though...

"Everybody now " KUmbayah Muh Lord Kumbayah..."

"OH GOD MY BABY THEY TOOK MY BABY"

"Everyone sing louder we seem to have an interrupter.."

"KUMBAYAH MY LORD KUMBAYAH!"

"HOLY CRAP THEY'RE GONNA NUKE D.C EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF"

"Silly man, this is a world of man and woman not juust men. Come sing with us..."

"Joy to the world, Joy to the world..."

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW GOD WHY!?!?!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Our voices can defeat the violence...

"JOY TO THE WORLD!!!!!!! JOY TO THE FISHES IN THE DEEP BLUE SEA!!!!!!!"

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#23  Edited By cbishop

@antinatalistaggie said:

1) With such colossal strength as Hercules', she could easily grapple against opponents and hold them at bay while she talked them down without having to strike them.

2) With her bracelets she could harmlessly deflect any offensive attacks away from noncombatants while also preserving her own life while seeking a solution.

3) With the beauty of Athena, she could easily seduce opponents into submission.

4) With her unbreakable lasso of truth she can harmlessly bind an opponent and have it's truth telling magic have the villain experience the conviction of their consciousness and confess their deeds.

5) With the speed of Hermes she could easily dodge and sidestep super speed attacks; her opponents would swing and miss until they tired, allowing her to negotiate a solution.

6) Nonviolent solutions require creativity and very ingenious writing.

7) It is the laziest form of storytelling to resolve a conflict with: "The villain punched, but the hero punched harder. And they lived happily ever after..."

I added numbers so it's easier to tell what I'm responding to...

1) Do we really want to see this? Page after page of Diana simply restraining someone, while they debate back and forth?

2) She still does this.

3) So she needs to be more peaceful, and prostitute herself out to villains in order to stop them? "You don't really want to blow up the building, Doctor Psycho. You just need to get laid. Let mama show you what 'loving submission' is all about."

4) Like #1, this would be a story of talking heads, and while using the lasso to get into the psyche of the characters is something I have no doubt that Devin Grayson could write very competently, it gets a little stale about halfway through your standard sized issue.

5) "Swing and miss until they tired?" Have you ever attended a no-hitter baseball game? It makes you wonder why you had to pay for a ticket. This would be a sure way to drive away readers.

6) When the Comics Code Authority was in place, mostly nonviolent solutions were all we ever got. Sure, punches were thrown, but nobody died, blood was hardly ever shown, and even the villains who fought their hardest, with full super strength and frightful powers, only went to jail with minor bumps and bruises, rather than to a hospital for injuries they surely would have sustained in such battles.

Not only that, but often, to make these nonviolent endings even passably plausible, there had to be the most contrived (calling them ingenious is being unkind to the word ingenious) plot points you've ever seen. Why yes, Batman probably would call in Superman to help him when Mongul invades Gotham, but gee, Superman was called away for an emergency in space. What's Batman gonna do now? Yes, Spider-Man's spider sense does enable him to dodge bullets with ease, but the Frogman can tag him in this story, because Peter Parker has a cold and it's fogging up his spidey sense! C'mon, that crud is cool until you're about nine or ten, then things need to start making more sense.

7) It is not even the same neighborhood as lazy to continually write slugfests. In fact, it's pretty danged hard to write fight after fight and keep it interesting. What is perhaps lazy is to have characters that are so powerful that they never sustain any serious damage. Although I think it's more realistic to say that it's simply convenient, which is not always the same thing as lazy. Comics are a business, after all, and if the hero isn't whole for the next issue, it probably won't continue to sell. Erik Larsen has made a point of this with his Savage Dragon. Dragon is only but so powerful, and he is constantly injured, charred, and dismembered. He has a healing factor though, and can regrow charred flesh and missing limbs. He spends time in the hospital often, and although Larsen did write an entire issue where Dragon was immobilized in traction, mostly, Dragon is shown in the hospital just long enough to establish he was there, then he's healed up and back out on the street.

Back to Wonder Woman though...this version is one of the best versions DC has had in quite some time, and that's coming from me- a confessed hater of the New 52. The only thing I'm not fond of is that they made her the daughter of Zeus, which really isn't so bad, but that was Cassie Sandsmark's big reveal, before New 52. Other than that, they've frankly done everything I've long thought they should do with Wonder Woman: tied her closer to the Greek mythology, redesigned the gods (which is in keeping with their taking other forms when desired, from the mythology), and they've made her stories pretty epic. She's literally fighting gods right now. There are going to be punches.

Most importantly though, they gave in and made her a warrior. Original intentions be hanged, they never made sense. An Amazon warrior princess, trained from childhood to be a warrior, but sent to man's world as an ambassador of peace? (Or later of peace and loving submission?) The only reason that ever flew was because she was created in an era when "women's place is in the kitchen," or "women's place is barefoot and pregnant." Simply put: Wonder Woman could not be allowed to be powerful and warrior-like, because "that's just not how women are supposed to be." Horse hockey.

Now she makes sense. Not just an Amazon warrior princess trained from childhood to be a warrior, but trained from childhood to be a warrior by the god of war. And now she is the god of war! (...and...okay...she's also the daughter of Zeus. There, I said it.) This version is much more in line with her origins...even her Golden Age origins. The "original intentions" for the character were not in line with those origins.

You really need a pacifist hero? Create one. Wonder Woman never should have been that to begin with.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mate this is a silly op, even for a prenew 52 fan. Believing in Peace, yes, but nonviolent. I mean, how would that work for a modern audience.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jasonhawke

This is a no-win situation.

Making her not as violent can make her seem passive and submissive and making her violent and less compassionate makes her a bloodthirsty beech.

antinatalistaggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: You're right, it wouldn't; seems most modern audiences (I believe) want unrestrained destruction, 'splosions, brawls, blood, death, witty insults, etc.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Avatar image for wonderwomanfan8
    WonderWomanFan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dichotomy between peace and fighting has been one of Diana's most compelling qualities IMO. I think the best way to display that in her is by making her appear like a non-violent, docile woman, but deep down she suppresses her excitement to battle. She prefers to resolve conflict without using physical force, but if push comes to shove, she will dish it out nicely, especially if she's been suppressing her fighting spirit.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WDW

@antinatalistaggie said:

With such colossal strength as Hercules', she could easily grapple against opponents and hold them at bay while she talked them down without having to strike them.

With her bracelets she could harmlessly deflect any offensive attacks away from noncombatants while also preserving her own life while seeking a solution.

With the beauty of Athena, she could easily seduce opponents into submission.

With her unbreakable lasso of truth she can harmlessly bind an opponent and have it's truth telling magic have the villain experience the conviction of their consciousness and confess their deeds.

With the speed of Hermes she could easily dodge and sidestep super speed attacks; her opponents would swing and miss until they tired, allowing her to negotiate a solution.

Nonviolent solutions require creativity and very ingenious writing.

It is the laziest form of storytelling to resolve a conflict with: "The villain punched, but the hero punched harder. And they lived happily ever after..."

YAWN!

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be nice to have a couple short non-vigilant arcs every now and then, but not the book over all.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe her original incarnation was intended to be just that; now she wields a sword and murders just like the villains she opposes.

You cannot bring peace to man's world with your fists and a sword...

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I frankly think Wonder Woman needs to be one of the fiercest super heroes we've yet seen. But with the innocent and those she protects, she should also be one of the most compassionate heroes. This dichotomy will work well on screen imo, and leave space for fluid exposition.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman doesn't just kill like the bad guys she goes up against.

She is a warrior.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol @ pacifist comments! Marvel already has a "Wonder" in the pacifist business, DC needs to find someone else. Not Superman though,they tried with Superman Returns (the man never threw a punch), look how that turned out. Maybe Batman, he'll start a dance school that helps keep criminals out of trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teGJHiA7jwg&feature=kp

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.