Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Lynda Carter´s 70´s Wonder Woman Show.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jphulk26

I went back and watched some episodes from the 70s show and I have to say I actually liked it. Especially the origin story for WW. I was just curious so I just watched it, and I think Lynda Carter did a great job. It was camp, but Lynda pulled it off so it wasn´t anywhere near as silly or dated as the old Adam West Batman.

Let me know. your thoughts

Goddessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Goddessa

@jphulk26: Love it, I have all 3 seasons :) Still one of the best TV shows from the 70's

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SCORPIO_CASSADINE

@Goddessa said:

@jphulk26: Love it, I have all 3 seasons :) Still one of the best TV shows from the 70's

^What she said.

No Caption Provided

^ That's my favorite kind of Wonder Woman. Formidable, beautiful and glamed up.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Press Oblivion

I have them on DVD too but I have to admit that I have a little trouble getting through the last couple of episodes of the final season. I'll have to give it another shot though, I haven't seen them in a couple of years.

Lynda Carter's smile and that twinkle in her eye when she was satisfied with a job well done. . . man that was compelling . . . how could you not fall in love with her.

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jobbernos

classics.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@jphulk26 said:

I went back and watched some episodes from the 70s show and I have to say I actually liked it. Especially the origin story for WW. I was just curious so I just watched it, and I think Lynda Carter did a great job. It was camp, but Lynda pulled it off so it wasn´t anywhere near as silly or dated as the old Adam West Batman.

Let me know. your thoughts

It sure beats that hell out of the bat-nipples

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jphulk26

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE: ah, it was that little twinkle in her eye wasn´t it. I think also what she did great, was while everyone tried to camp it up, she actually took the role seriously, which gave Diana this regal sense of dignity.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SCORPIO_CASSADINE

@jphulk26 said:

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE: ah, it was that little twinkle in her eye wasn´t it. I think also what she did great, was while everyone tried to camp it up, she actually took the role seriously, which gave Diana this regal sense of dignity.

True that. In the midst of all the overacting and fanciful plots she played it seriously and that's why it worked. These are my favorite episodes.

The Man Who Could Move The World

The Girl From Ilandia

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Skewer

I personally believe that show was the best thing to happen to Wonder Woman considering what was happening at the time and how the comics were drifting in quality.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jphulk26

@Skewer: Yeah it was good; but I think what was important is that Lynda Carter really got it. She understood the character, or what WW was meant to represent in the same way Christopher Reeves got Superman.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WDW

@jphulk26: @Skewer: The show was enjoyable. But honestly it had almost nothing to do with any version of Wonder Woman. Sure Lynda Carter looked the part but her whole personality was changed to almost that of a subservent domestic house wife that can do anything. Unfortunatly that is the most popular mainstream version of Wonder Woman.

All people remember is how Lynda Carter looked and how nice her smile was etc. Personally thats why I think she has had trouble getting another TV show or solo movie. On one hand we have the Comic version of Wonder Woman which a few people know and we have the total opposite. The Lynda Carter version the most well known version.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jphulk26

@WDW: Hey I only really watched the first couple of episodes, so I´m sure you´re right. It was antiquated but it was fun and by and large it stuck to the material. My ultimate view of things is WW is way to big for the small screen. Her powers and abilities and the look if Paradise Island can´t be done justice, unless its animated or in a big budget feature. Thats it, that´s why I think this CW TV show is not a great idea, but we´ll see.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WDW

@jphulk26: Yeah TV budget cannot compete with a movie version. But doing a stripped down Wonder Woman TV show will not damage wonder womans image or chances for a movie in anyway. Just like smallville and superman..

TV is just another interpretation of Wonder Woman. Nothing more. So are movies. None will be just like the comics.

The TV show will be good or suck but The Wonder Woman brand will not be harmed after 70+ years in existance. Its not like they going to keep her out of the Justice league movie if it sucks.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WDW said:

@jphulk26: @Skewer: The show was enjoyable. But honestly it had almost nothing to do with any version of Wonder Woman. Sure Lynda Carter looked the part but her whole personality was changed to almost that of a subservent domestic house wife that can do anything. Unfortunatly that is the most popular mainstream version of Wonder Woman.

All people remember is how Lynda Carter looked and how nice her smile was etc. Personally thats why I think she has had trouble getting another TV show or solo movie. On one hand we have the Comic version of Wonder Woman which a few people know and we have the total opposite. The Lynda Carter version the most well known version.

I have to disagree. She wasn't subservient, she was just NICE. Watch "The Man Who Moved The World" and listen to her talking to Yishida towards the end. It's one of the few episodes that was overtly political and there's nothing campy about it. (Well except for a shot of the Invisible Jet where you can clearly see there's a doll sitting inside, but in the last frame they turn it like a real plane and the overall effect is kind of cute, but that's neither here nor there.) She handles the issue of American internment camps for Japanese citizens with kid gloves and compassion and makes a lot of sense while passionately refuting Yishida's claims. It's the little things, like the fact she's the only one in the entire episode that pronounces his name correctly that show she was inclusive and politically correct decades before the term was invented.

Personally I believe niceness is becoming a lost art form and people see it as a time consuming show of weakness as opposed to an asset. It should always be your first strategy, "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar". I don't know why you'd want to catch flies, but that's how the expression goes. Niceness is usually effective and when it doesn't work that's when you get combative, loud or irate and even then you can do it tactfully and with a little class.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now. Actually I should take my own advice because I have a tendency to go ballistic.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WDW

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE: "JUST NICE" is just as bad in my opinion

Whatever you call it she was completely one dimensional in my opinion. Her environment was stale and dry. She was never pushed to the limits of her ideals whatever they where supposed to be in that show. All she did mainly is take orders from Steve Trevor. With all the power she had she chooses to work for the government exclusively?

Being nice works in the real world I agree but not for stories. I prefer more complex issues when dealing with fiction.

Also, Lynda Carter is not even an actress she is a former miss America and a singer who can pass for Wonder Woman visually and was popular at the time. The show got by on Lynda Carters looks charm and costume thats all that people remember.

I enjoyed and still watch it on occasion mainly for nostalgic purposes.

But her character is almost the polar opposite of every version of Wonder Woman in comics

Batman 1960 was campy but Adam west could act... and batman was more than Adam West and the costume. They probably could have changed the actor and the show could have continued.

Wonder Woman on the other hand was all about Lynda Carter. any variation on that and the show fails instantly.

This is my opinion of course

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beg to differ. I've watched 7 episodes in the past 24 hours and Lynda Carter could ACT. In "Beauty On Parade" Diana Prince undercover as "Diana Paradise" enters a beauty pageant and has to defend herself against a stark raving b*tch that's out to win the contest at any cost. She effortlessly deflects all her cattiness and remains regal under pressure. In the pilot she plays a fish out of water that quickly learns the value of a dollar and sets out to make some cash using Bullets and Bracelets in a live show. The show's promoter tries to steal her money and she unceremoniously flips him over a table while retaining her smile and friendly manner. It's clear that she still likes him even though she has to kick his ass. There are other episodes where she gets angry, she's not always syrup and saccharine. She cries with Tina in "The Girl From Ilandia" at her inability to get back home, while explaining to her that what she really fears is that she'll come to love this dimension as opposed to missing her own.

I said all that to say, she shows a much wider range of emotions than Adam West ever did in his corny, cardboard cutout rendition of Batman while remaining true to the character of Wonder Woman.

If nothing else Lynda Carter's acting ability is proven in her way of wearing a skimpy costume the way a military officer would wear their uniform... unselfconsciously. That's something poor Adrianne Palicki couldn't manage.

As for the tv show being different in it's portrayal of the titular character than the comicbook, that's just false. Diana had the same level of tv sweetness in versions from Perez on through to Rucka.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WDW said:

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE: "JUST NICE" is just as bad in my opinion

Whatever you call it she was completely one dimensional in my opinion. Her environment was stale and dry. She was never pushed to the limits of her ideals whatever they where supposed to be in that show. All she did mainly is take orders from Steve Trevor. With all the power she had she chooses to work for the government exclusively?

Oh yeah, she didn't take orders from Steve, he was eventually phased out of the show because he was boring and useless. Even in the 40's version she gave him ideas and helped him see where he was wrong. She chose to work for the government because she came to America to promote freedom and democracy and to save lives. She stated so explicitly on more than one occasion. That was her mission and the reason for her patriotic costume. Her contact with the War Department and later the IADC is what facilitated her heroic adventures and initially allowed her to watch over Steve. What would you have preferred she do instead of being a government agent?

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WDW

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE:

Oh yeah, she didn't take orders from Steve, he was eventually phased out of the show because he was boring and useless

Well now your mixing versions. I am talking about the 70s TV show.....and comparing it to today's Wonder Woman. and yes in the show she Worked for Steve Trevor It was not "phased out" it was simply less formal. That is not bad in itself. But no comic book version of Wonder Woman used a secret identity to the point it was used in the Wonder Woman TV show. Diana Prince is a construct of the TV show.... not the comics.

She chose to work for the government because she came to America to promote freedom and democracy and to save lives. She stated so explicitly on more than one occasion

That is the 40's Wonder Woman ideals and she never "WORKED" for the government in any version. Lynda Carter version actually collected a paycheck and officially worked for the government explicitly. Now that being said, are you telling me 70s Wonder Woman had 1940's Wonder Woman ideals? Because 70's Wonder Woman (Lynda Carter) did not proactively go out and try to promote freedom and democracy. She simply reacted to situations of danger nothing more

That was her mission and the reason for her patriotic costume

1940's Wonder Woman's costume was patriotic and she had a reason to wear it. 1970's TV Wonder Woman's costume Had absolutely no patriotic significance. It had no meaning and no connection to the American flag or patriotism based on storyline of the TV show.

Her contact with the War Department and later the IADC is what facilitated her heroic adventures and initially allowed her to watch over Steve.

As I said before 1970's Linda carter Wonder Woman did not actively go out on adventures. she either stumbled on them or was part of her job to investigate as part of her regular job duties.Compare that with Rucka's Wonder Woman or even the current wonder woman who actively go out and do heroic things instead of just reacting to situations like the Lynda Carter version

What would you have preferred her do instead of being a government agent?

Exactly what she has been for the last 70 years. Wonder Woman. The government agent thing was made up in the 1970's TV show. She was not a government agent in comics.

Like I have always said I liked the 1970's version and I still enjoy it. All I am saying is that the 1970's version of Wonder Woman is very different than the comic book version to the point that they are polar opposites.

One thing that always bugs me on the show. Why does she need to turn into Wonder Woman?.... All her amazon sisters have close to the same abilities as Diana/ Wonder Woman... and none need to spin and change to gain super human strength. Whats the point of coming to mans world and making herself weaker as apposed to just wearing a disguise.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1970's tv Wonder Woman wore a patriotic costume because that was her uniform in the 40's and she updated it, her ideals didn't change.

In the comic Diana Prince worked for the government since her inception. She was "originally an Army nurse and then an officer in military intelligence, starting in the typical woman's role of secretary but gradually earning more autonomy, including the authority to interrogate espionage suspects, eventually becoming an intelligence officer in her own right and, over the years, rising from Lieutenant to Major". She was a government agent on the tv show and the comic moved to reflect that. They weren't "polar opposites" Diana Prince's environment ALWAYS propelled Wonder Woman's superhero adventures, the only change was her job title. A secret agent and an intelligence officer is pretty much the same thing.

In the 70's Lyle Waggoner's role grew smaller and smaller. Eve was brought in to take over Diana's job as his assistant and Diana became a top IADC agent on her own without him. Eventually Steve was gone altogether when Diana was transferred to the Los Angeles branch of the IADC.

The point of her needing to spin into Wonder Woman was because Amazons lost their strength and immortality away from Paradise Island. The only reason Wonder Woman had powers was because of her magic belt which caused her to retain her abilities as long as she was wearing it

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Skewer

There's just one thing I wish they could have done. The should have used more of her rogues gallery. It's not like they were inaccessible to them. After all it would have been cool to see prissilla rich, Deborah domain, dr qsycho and a few others.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.