Love Handles

Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio
If Diana is using pistols made by Eros, then the place where she is holding them would be the love handles wouldn't it?  Err ... maybe not.  But with this somewhat breaking news yesterday and as a Wonder Woman fan, some feel that it behooves me to give my opinion on her gun use.  Well it does seem a bit strange, but as with any comic book development I am always more keen on reading it first as opposed to the hype surrounding it.  After all although she generally doesn't use guns, that is not to say that she never would.  The interesting thing which I find about the situation though is the re imagining of Eros.  Eros of course is the same as Cupid, just the Greek version, and so the interpretation here is the guns have replaced the traditional bow and arrow.  For the purpose as this applies to pop culture it would have a somewhat skewed meaning on Valentine's Day to be shot by a gun as opposed to being shot by an arrow (though the artist was clever enough to make the muzzle flashes into kind of heart shapes.)  I do understand the idea of reinventing the gods to be more pertinent to Wonder Woman and the modern age, but this might be one case where it has gone too far.  I do like most of the redesigns I have seen thus far, and even Hermes with his messenger bag looks mostly in place, but we might be seeing a case where what gets represented is just a little too much gone from the original myth.  
Moderator
#1 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen this before in the Marvel\DC Amalgam known as Bullets in Bracelets where Diana is an accomplice to the Punisher.I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.If DC wants to know why people lose interest and then they have to find new ways to sell Wonder Woman..it's stuff like this.

Moderator
#2 Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: I am not so sure, I do see it as out-of-character, but this is not necessarily the type of storyline where it will be "let's have guns because guns are cool."  So far the new series has surprised with its inventiveness, so I am willing to give it some credit.  
Moderator
#3 Posted by Delphic (1469 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually didn't notice the heart shapes until now. :P

#4 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
@Vance Astro: I am not so sure, I do see it as out-of-character, but this is not necessarily the type of storyline where it will be "let's have guns because guns are cool."  So far the new series has surprised with its inventiveness, so I am willing to give it some credit.  
My problem isn't so much that it's out of character for her but the fact they don't even consider the fact that Eros crafting guns doesn't even make sense.Eros is a god, and as seen in every depiction of him choses the bow as his weapon of choice...I'm not understanding why he would change for time period.We as human beings went from bows to guns because guns are more efficient, they are easier to carry and conceal and they do more damage..would a GOD need to worry about something like that?
Moderator
#5 Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@RazzaTazz said:
@Vance Astro: I am not so sure, I do see it as out-of-character, but this is not necessarily the type of storyline where it will be "let's have guns because guns are cool."  So far the new series has surprised with its inventiveness, so I am willing to give it some credit.  
My problem isn't so much that it's out of character for her but the fact they don't even consider the fact that Eros crafting guns doesn't even make sense.Eros is a god, and as seen in every depiction of him choses the bow as his weapon of choice...I'm not understanding why he would change for time period.We as human beings went from bows to guns because guns are more efficient, they are easier to carry and conceal and they do more damage..would a GOD need to worry about something like that?
No idea, I was kind of critical of the concept as well ;)
Moderator
#6 Posted by Miss Menace (12222 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it O_O

#7 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman would never use a gun! Except those times he did. I noticed the hearts as well, how "cute".

#8 Posted by MrDirector786 (43531 posts) - - Show Bio

@Delphic said:

I actually didn't notice the heart shapes until now. :P

Same here.

#9 Posted by butterflykyss (3916 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss Menace said:

I like it O_O

this and the hearts :D

#10 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

Guns are such a strong modern symbol of violence that it's hard to divorce them from their violent nature and romanticize them like we do with bow and arrows. So it's kind of a jarring picture for me, at first. But I trust Azzarello and Chiang's inventiveness and I can see where they're going with this, so I'm not passing judgment at the moment.

#11 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

Shot through the heart.

#12 Posted by Billy Batson (57969 posts) - - Show Bio

Azzarello is a gun-oholic. He makes it work. And isn't the new 52 supposed to be something new creative anyway?
BB

#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

And isn't the new 52 supposed to be something new creative anyway?
BB

Yea...but this isn't new and creative.It's just new.
Moderator
#14 Posted by Billy Batson (57969 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Billy Batson said:

And isn't the new 52 supposed to be something new creative anyway?
BB

Yea...but this isn't new and creative.It's just new.

It's just new but creative in the issue :P
At least I hope so. Azz hasn't failed me when it comes to guns.
BB

#15 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

She probably doesn't even hold a gun in the hole issue.

#16 Posted by Jayso4201 (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Of all the characters in the DCU, it doesn't surprise me that Diana would use guns. Not to say that I don't understand why she would need them. With all her power it seems to me a little unnecessary. Diana has always been kind of go against the grain type of hero, almost an anti-hero to me. Of the DCU big three (Bats, Supes, and her) it makes the most sense. Diana has her own views on how things should be done.

#17 Posted by dondasch (926 posts) - - Show Bio

A minor qualm, but the guns being provided by Hephaestus makes more sense than Eros.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.