Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Lets discuss new villain, Grail

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This new character is apparently is the daugther of Darkseid. In the midst of her brief fight with Diana, she did a suprising knowledge dropping. She has the blood of the amazons which could mean something. Perhaps her mother may be a former amazon. Justice League #41 has left us curious and I can't wait to see where this story goes.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just finished the issue. I'm actually pretty pumped for this. Could her Amazon blood be the reason why Diana's lasso supposedly didn't work on her as well?

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: And she destroyed Diana's bracelets which Darkseid couldn't even do.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Just finished the issue. I'm actually pretty pumped for this. Could her Amazon blood be the reason why Diana's lasso supposedly didn't work on her as well?

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

I'm not sure that having Amazon blood is the reason that the lasso did not work on Grail, because, in the Wonder Woman Annual 1, the lasso worked on Donna Troy. It keeps things fun and right if the lasso can work on Wonder Woman and the Amazons.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
    @saint_sophie said:

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

I'm not sure that having Amazon blood is the reason that the lasso did not work on Grail, because, in the Wonder Woman Annual 1, the lasso worked on Donna Troy. It keeps things fun and right if the lasso can work on Wonder Woman and the Amazons.

Hm, then I hope that they answer why the lasso couldn't work on her.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JL41 was very intense and I definitely want to follow up. Grail seems to be very badass but so was Magog in SM/WW seemed badass too, at least at first. He didn't last long.

I think Grail's appearance could lead to a better outcome for WW if she fulfills all the following conditions:

a. She turns out to be a major threat to the whole JL team in the sense that she is very intelligent (enough to challenge Batman) and physically strong (enough to challenge Superman).

b. When she fights the JL, WW is the person who clearly makes the most important move (or at least one of the most important moves) to take her down. Doesn't matter if Diana is the one who comes up with the plan or she's the one gives the final punches. Because if some else in the team takes her down, she would more or less become his villain instead of Diana's, Diana will again be sidelined.

c. She makes future appearances.

I'd be very disappointed if she just turn out to be another pawn. But somehow I have more faith in the JL creative team than, ahem...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

This new character is apparently is the daugther of Darkseid. In the midst of her brief fight with Diana, she did a suprising knowledge dropping. She has the blood of the amazons which could mean something. Perhaps her mother may be a former amazon. Justice League #41 has left us curious and I can't wait to see where this story goes.

We know she's half Amazon from the free teaser, her mother was Hippolyta's assassin, and Grail was born on the same night as Diana.

I'm a bit iffy on the origins to be honest. I can get behind Hippolyta and Zeus and the provided reasoning that was given... but why did it have to be an Amazon who sired Grail? And it was apparently willingly with one of the ugliest MF's in the DCU.

Add to this, why would Darkseid have a child with her? The Darkseid we know had left every warm emotion behind after his two failed marriages and his ascension to the throne of Apokolips, and the New 52 version seems to be every bit as emotionless.

@dshipp17 said:
    @saint_sophie said:

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Hm, then I hope that they answer why the lasso couldn't work on her.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

If we go by Azzarello's run, the Lasso isn't alone in providing the power to get the truth out of people, it's something Diana enforces in a way, at least according to Hephaestus (we assume he knows what he's talking about since he was the one that made it).

As for it not working on Grail. There might be a limit somewhere as to who it can affect, gods and demigods (In Grails case it will be through the blood of Darkseid in her veins) might simply be beyond it's power. If I remember correctly, Hephaestus is the only god we've seen been really questioned with it and he didn't have a reason to lie to begin with when he was. Neither did Strife in issue 3.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dshipp17: Donna Troy is made of Clay....does she even have blood?

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Donna was made from clay then given flesh. We clearly see bone and muscle and skin when Diana cut her arm off.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Klaus

@saint_sophie: And she destroyed Diana's bracelets which Darkseid couldn't even do.

Diana was wearing different bracelets when Grail destroyed them. The other ones she wore during her battle with Darkseid are indestructible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grail was pretty awesome

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus: where did you get that from

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I take your words for it. Is there a chance that the Myrina character might be Diana's daughter? Her armor looked similar to Diana's armor.

@klaus said:
    @somayareece said:

Diana was wearing different bracelets when Grail destroyed them. The other ones she wore during her battle with Darkseid are indestructible.

I figured that what it was.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: Donna Troy is made of Clay....does she even have blood?

She also has all of the spiritual essence of an Amazon, the parts that the lasso would affect for forcing the truth out of someone.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@outside_85 said:

Add to this, why would Darkseid have a child with her? The Darkseid we know had left every warm emotion behind after his two failed marriages and his ascension to the throne of Apokolips, and the New 52 version seems to be every bit as emotionless.

If I remember correctly, Hephaestus is the only god we've seen been really questioned with it and he didn't have a reason to lie to begin with when he was. Neither did Strife in issue 3.

Maybe to give Orion a sister?

Oh and, I remember the lasso technically working on Darkseid during the origin JL issue.. when she asked him why he was here and he replied by technically answering the question then punching her in the face. Though I guess it's debatable on whether that was because he felt like answering and not cause the lasso forced him to.

No Caption Provided

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Does anyone have any instance if it working on any other Amazon other than Donna?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Outside_85

@outside_85: I take your words for it. Is there a chance that the Myrina character might be Diana's daughter? Her armor looked similar to Diana's armor.

Eh no possibility there, Grail was born at the same time Diana was.

Maybe to give Orion a sister?

Oh and, I remember the lasso technically working on Darkseid during the origin JL issue.. when she asked him why he was here and he replied by technically answering the question then punching her in the face. Though I guess it's debatable on whether that was because he felt like answering and not cause the lasso forced him to.

Hmm no, that would imply Darkseid cared about him :)

I'm not sure whenever that counts or not, it's possible it is working on him. But his answer kinda says otherwise to me because of how vague it is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone have any instance if it working on any other Amazon other than Donna?

It didn't work on Superwoman as far as I am concerned and she's a amazon (or viking).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I think it would had been more simple if Grail was just a evil clone of Diana like Genocide.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Grail had knowledge on the JLA.She caught them by Surprise.

She took out Flash First.

She has good reaction time.

Seem to be trained well in the art of fighting. She has some dark energy to break Green Lantern will.

She followed the plan of Anti-Monitor and did what she needed to do.

Darkseid also had his plans in this comic as well he made sure to keep Superman and Lex out of the battle by BFR. He also was finding ways to get stronger not because of the Justice League because of Anti-Monitor and he know they will be a clash between them on Earth. That is why he has a sleeper agent there.Also at the same time he is aware of Myrina Black so that is why he send the assassins after her to kill her.

One of the best Highlights for this comics was her entrance.She came through flash mouth by a doorway.The doorway blasted everybody back and destroyed half of the building.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor said:

One of the best Highlights for this comics was her entrance.She came through flash mouth by a doorway.The doorway blasted everybody back and destroyed half of the building.

That was one of the grossest highlights of the fight. I expected Flash to be ripped in half tbh. Ha. :p.

I'm not sure whenever that counts or not, it's possible it is working on him. But his answer kinda says otherwise to me because of how vague it is.

You got a point haha. :).

I kind of figured that as well, given how Barry then asked whose the "her" he was referring to, but all we know is that Darkseid's fist made contact with her face..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but simply because no writer is addressing the issue just like no writer has addressed what would happen if someone chained her bracelets together in more than 20 years. So, since it works on Donna it works on the other Amazons until we can get a Wonder Woman writer who will get back to making Wonder Woman style stories. Still could end up being the Finch(es).

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tensor said:

That was one of the grossest highlights of the fight. I expected Flash to be ripped in half tbh. Ha. :p.

@outside_85 said:

You got a point haha. :).

I kind of figured that as well, given how Barry then asked whose the "her" he was referring to, but all we know is that Darkseid's fist made contact with her face..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Also remember the woman Darkseid is hunting is also Grail Mother.Myrina Black.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I think it would had been more simple if Grail was just a evil clone of Diana like Genocide.

I don't think 'simple' applies to Genocides origins :)

Her design hints at her intended origins; being reanimated from the corpse of the New God Knock-Out. But that was nixed because of Death of the New Gods. Instead we have this bizarre origins where Ares headed into the future to get Diana's corpse, then you have to have a half a dozen supervillains to bring it to life and empower it.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thing is, if you've got indestructible bracelets crafted by a god, that keep your powers in check and are capable of deflecting Darkseid's Omega Effect, why would you trade them out for something less durable, simply because they came with gloves with matching steel knuckles?

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there are too many "Anti-Wonder Women". I'd rather they pick one of the other one's and stick with it. Maybe adapting a new origin, but still having it be the same character. Personally I'd like to see Devastation back as it was kinda interesting seeing the evil version of Wonder Woman with the body of a child.

I had a cool idea for a new Origin for Devastation that's somewhat of an adaption of the one John Byrne gave Donna Troy. It starts when Diana is a child. She has this imaginary friend, and with the chaotic powers of a child demi-god she actually brings her imaginary friend to life. She doesn't have the powers to give it physical form, but it is sentient. Diana doesn't really know her imaginary friend is any different then anyone else's, and like all children she eventually out grows it. With that her imaginary friend loses it's tie to our world and get's trapped in Purgatory where it grows to resent Diana for abandoning it. Eventually Cronos, or maybe some other god finds her, gives her a physical body, and a butt load of powers, and sends her off to get revenge on Diana.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might be in the minority here, but I'm not loving this concept all that much. Perhaps it's because I hate that the bracers were broken (was this a first ever in-canon?), and that the lasso didn't work on her seems strange since we've seen it work on other Amazons (Donna), and I don't love the idea of yet another horrible Amazon. I'm going to wait until we see how this story plays out, as I do think it's starting out very exciting, but suddenly Diana is feeling more like a way to make another character look like a bad@ss.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @somayareece said:

Might be in the minority here, but I'm not loving this concept all that much. Perhaps it's because I hate that the bracers were broken (was this a first ever in-canon?), and that the lasso didn't work on her seems strange since we've seen it work on other Amazons (Donna), and I don't love the idea of yet another horrible Amazon. I'm going to wait until we see how this story plays out, as I do think it's starting out very exciting, but suddenly Diana is feeling more like a way to make another character look like a bad@ss.

It is just starting so it is best to wait and see the progress. I didn't like the bracers getting broken either but those aren't the same bracers she uses. I believe Devastation has shot magical bullets through her bracers in Post-Crisis. I doubt Grail being half Amazon had anything to do with it. The lasso also didn't work on Superwoman. It has a exciting start and I hope Diana is getting used like implied.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Might be in the minority here, but I'm not loving this concept all that much. Perhaps it's because I hate that the bracers were broken (was this a first ever in-canon?), and that the lasso didn't work on her seems strange since we've seen it work on other Amazons (Donna), and I don't love the idea of yet another horrible Amazon. I'm going to wait until we see how this story plays out, as I do think it's starting out very exciting, but suddenly Diana is feeling more like a way to make another character look like a bad@ss.

Only Eros' gun and Grail so far has broken the bracelets in the New 52. Well, at least she could take the blast far better than her bracelets, lol.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece:

Hey, did you see how Batman fared? He can't even do anything. He should stick to computers in the cave and do the creepy stalker things he always do and leave all the fighting to those really capable. He should bake some batty cookies while he's at it too.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CSG_CL

@somayareece @GrandWonder: Eros guns were more of a metaphysical weapon though. They didn't break the bracers so much as pass through them. I do like where the story is going so I'll stick with it ... At least they finally seem to be doing something with the whole Trinity War storyline. I feel like the whole N52 derailed when they set up that whole story then went off in a million tangents for a year and focusing on Doomed without ever wrapping up the who Villains story. So I'm pretty happy to see what they decide to do with this.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GrandWonder

@csg_cl: As long as Wonder Woman delivers the victory blow, I'm cool with this. Batman with the Anti-Grail batspray is acceptable too. Lol.

Seriously, as long as they made this an epic story with universe-wide repercussions, I'll be more than happy to buy all the multiple covers issues lol.

And Grail better not be one-trick pony. If they use him as a Batman villain afterwards, i'll be terribly disappointed. She should be a team buster or someone only Wonder Woman could only take one-on-one. DC should owe it to her being the god of war and all.

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How did Grail break WW's bracelets with her Omega Beams?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
    @sly_141 said:

How did Grail break WW's bracelets with her Omega Beams?

When did she do that?. Scan?.

It was right before she said she was more powerful without them. I will look for the scan.

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sly_141

@agent41: Here are the scans. I guess it explains the new bracelets that come with her new outfit.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
    @sly_141 said:

@agent41: Here are the scans. I guess it explains the new bracelets that come with her new outfit.

So this grail chick defeated many powered members of the JL by herself?.

yes, it was a surprise attack though so she did have a bit of a leg up ... but she wiped the floor with Flash, Batman, Cyborg, Shazam and both GLs and WW ... although it appears that she didn't actually get a kill shot in on any of them she didn't seem to even break a sweat taking them down. Only Diana showed even a little resistance, and that wasn't much.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:
    @somayareece said:

I figured that what it was.

a bit late to the party here, but Myrina Black is Grail's mother as shown in Divergence.

moi245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that Grail girl is scary and broke "Indestructible bracelets" the irony :( I hope wonder woman does something badass !

ivan_jimenez86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grail seems powerful enough to defeat 75% of the Justice League, including most of the founding members.

I guess now we have to wait & see how she responds to magical forcces [Dr.Fate], matter manipulation [Firestorm], reality warping [Mr.Mzyptik], and energy absorption [Monarch/Captain Atom], and her powers siphoned [Parasite].

Down below is what I want her updated powers to be:

If the writers wanted to create her to be a powerful versatile female character, then I hope they make her IMMUNE TO ALL:

-->magic--due to her source wall connection, which prevents magical forces from damaging her & her mystical sword that cancels out all magical forces.

-->matter manipulation--due to her source wall connection, which prevents matter manipulation from harming her & her own matter manipulation abilities to cancel it out.

-->telepathy--due to the dangerous posion within her minds, forcing any telepaths who tries entering her mind commit suicide or into a coma,

-->reality warping/manipulation--due to the source wall connection, which prevents her from being wiped from existence & her matter and energy manipulation abilities to cancel it out.

-->energy manipulation/absorption--due to her large energy absorption abilities of all forms of energy patterns, which cancels out anybody from absorping her omega beams & her energy manipulation to cancel it out.

-->power siphoning--due to her energy absorption abilities that will cancels out anybody from attempting to absorp her powers & her matter manipulation abilities to cancels it out.

-->super strength, speed, durability, flight, etc.--due to her biracial heritage from the Amazon & Darkseid parentage, skills, and training.

-->dimensional teleportation/manipulation/absorption--due to her mother & father box technology & connection to the source wall that will prevents her from bfr if she doesn't want to.

I want this to be her powerset:

1. Telepathy--above Silver Surfer levels

2. Telekinesis--rivals Maxima

3. Superman's strength, speed, durabilty, etc.

4. Energy absorption/manipulation--rivals Monarch/Captain Atom

5. Wonder Woman, Maxima & Big Barda's combined skills, fighting prowness & trainings

6. Dimensional teleportation/manipulation/absorption due to mother & father boxes

7. Technopathy due to both her mother & father boxes

8. Matter manipulation/absorption--above Firestorm/Fury & Sersi

9. Weather manipulation--above Thor & Storm

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don´t like the idea of wonder womans villains being tied to Supermans villains at all. That bothers me. As a justice league villain she´s fine, but as a specific wonder woman villain I´m not too happy. I also am fed-up of all the anti-wonder woman villains. they´re boring.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My theory as to why Grail was so much more powerful than the league is this.

If Grail and Diana are both half Amazon and half God, and assuming that their power is somewhat equal, and that unlike Wonder Woman, Grail doesn't restrain her power, it would mean that the power Grail displayed is what a God-mode WW should be like, as a GM Diana is basically just a full powered Diana. So it would be consistent that Grail was able to overpower WW with her bracelets on assuming they are the same in power when at their normal levels and not weakened or hindered by bracers or anything.

DGarci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DGarci

They've ALWAYS been indestructable canon, not even Darkseid could destroy them. The fact that they were unbreakable was always such a novelty - there are some things that just can't be messed with, like if someone snapped her lasso. It also doesn't make sense that she didn't go into God mode after they were broken.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgarci said:

They've ALWAYS been indestructable canon, not even Darkseid could destroy them. The fact that they were unbreakable was always such a novelty - there are some things that just can't be messed with, like if someone snapped her lasso. It also doesn't make sense that she didn't go into God mode after they were broken.

The gloves of the bracelets were still on Diana so maybe thats why she didn't go into God-mode. Also she was shown in the last fight against FB to be able to make it go away even without her bracelets on.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.