Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Just read Wonder Woman #14, my first actual Wonder Woman issue

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Lvenger

I mean I know plenty about the character and have been following Azzarello's run since it began via online reviews but after I realised Justice League was heading on a downwards spiral, I decided to switch to this instead. And after reading the issue, I can't actually find anything wrong with that story. It moved along at the right pace, there was some excellent characterisation between Wonder Woman and Siracca plus plenty of intriguing future plot points in terms of the First Born and Orion's first New 52 appearance. And Azzarello's style of writing the stories with the darker, more horrific elements of Greek mythology included coupled with modern, fresh takes on the Olympian Gods and the introduction of new characters like Lennox. All in all, Azzarello seems to be taking Wonder Woman in an exciting, intriguing direction and I can't wait to read the rest of his run!

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

Ok.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

It is pretty great, much better than the JL

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lvenger

@Jonny_Anonymous: Agreed, it's why I chose it as my replacement comic. But aren't you supposed to be not reading any DC comics except Batman due to the whole Vertigo being manhandled by DC?

@InnerVenom123: That all? I was expecting something more cynical from you :P

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Lvenger: "Ok" stands for Oklahoma.

As in Oklahoma bombing.

Happy?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Lvenger: Yep and yep, not caved on that yet.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lvenger

@InnerVenom123: Well it sounds more like you at least.

@Jonny_Anonymous: Fair enough. It is a good title I have to say.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Lvenger:the story is good,but it still lacks action and high level feats that make her look like a real wonder woman,it also lacks some of her personality,she seems too naive and lost sometimes,but since she is a young woman now,maybe that's the reason,they also need to develop her soft side and her warrior side,to make them connect more,wonder woman has always been interesting because she is a brave and badass warrior and kind and protective as a devoted mother as the same time.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lvenger

@gokuwarrior: Feats aren't all important in comics. They can come later. As for personality, perhaps she does seem a tad naive but I think Azzarello is balancing her soft and warrior sides well. That's coming across as a real strength of his depiction of Wonder Woman IMO.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Lvenger: feats are important,wonder woman can't lack action and seem just above a peakl human,that wouldn't be right,having a good story is important,but we also need good fights and great feats backing it up,wonder woman is a comination of great adventures,great feats and epic fights.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Twentyfive

If you had begun early on, and held on till now, you would realize that that is the best thing DC is putting out now.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

It's really good. My only little complaint is that there are moments where I feel the story's dragged on for too long, but I'm overall satisfied so far. Azzarello's the first writer to make me care about WW, and that's a hell of an accomplishment on its own.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By cloudzackvincent

@gokuwarrior said:

@Lvenger: feats are important,wonder woman can't lack action and seem just above a peakl human,that wouldn't be right,having a good story is important,but we also need good fights and great feats backing it up,wonder woman is a comination of great adventures,great feats and epic fights.

feats are secondary, but it still has one of Wonder Woman's greatest feats... beating up Artemis. i just hope Cliff Chiang starts drawing again. And i woul say Azzarello's WW is pretty good, it is Johns who is writing a very naive and immature WW.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gokuwarrior

@cloudzackvincent: artemis didn't show too much power but

it was good,but wonder woman has way better feats before 52,i can wait to have more epic feats,but i hope they avoid inconsistencies,for every character,superman,wonder woman,everyone,there is no point in giving them great feats in some stories and then let them be beaten by a plastic bag,you know what i mean.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lvenger

@gokuwarrior: Yeah but if they come at the cost to the story, I'd rather minimize on the feats. It's too early to use New 52 characters in battles anyway IMO. And we already have great adventures thanks to Azzarello. Her feats and fights should come secondary to the characters and that's the principle which should be adopted in more titles. Still I'm sure the feats will come in time.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Lvenger:i can wait to have more epic fights and feats,but i hope they avoid inconsistencies,for every character,superman,wonder woman,everyone,there is no point in giving them great feats in some stories and then let them be beaten by a plastic bag,you know what i mean.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Press Oblivion

@Lvenger said:

As for personality, perhaps she does seem a tad naive

You're getting this from issue 14? Just wondering?

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#19  Edited By StarKiller809

I actually think Wonder Woman #14 is the weakest issue of the series so just wait until you read everything else. You are going to enjoy yourself. 

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Press Oblivion

@StarKiller809: I would have to agree with that.

While issue 14 didn't really feel like it achieved a great deal, this issue did provide a limited moment of catharsis for Diana as she never had the proper time to mourn the loss of the Amazons. Not that she's done it properly is that final scene with Siaraca but there was a revelation that she does have a greater extended family and it felt as though she appreciated that despite the drama and misfortune that she has been through thus far.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By jrock85

@Lvenger said:

I mean I know plenty about the character and have been following Azzarello's run since it began via online reviews but after I realised Justice League was heading on a downwards spiral, I decided to switch to this instead. And after reading the issue, I can't actually find anything wrong with that story. It moved along at the right pace, there was some excellent characterisation between Wonder Woman and Siracca plus plenty of intriguing future plot points in terms of the First Born and Orion's first New 52 appearance. And Azzarello's style of writing the stories with the darker, more horrific elements of Greek mythology included coupled with modern, fresh takes on the Olympian Gods and the introduction of new characters like Lennox. All in all, Azzarello seems to be taking Wonder Woman in an exciting, intriguing direction and I can't wait to read the rest of his run!

Told ya.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lvenger

@gokuwarrior: Agreed.

@Press Oblivion: I've followed the rest of her run online and she does seem a bit more naive than usual. It does allow for some great compassionate moments on WW's part.

@StarKiller809: Maybe you're right. I mean Orion's appearance is what spurred me to drop Justice League and pick this up instead. But if this is Azzarello's weakest issue, his best just got even better!

@jrock85: Did you? And didn't you also say the New 52 was a "gold plated turd" in another thread?

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By jrock85

@Lvenger: Yes and yes. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.