Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Jamie Alexander on Wonder Woman

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Press Oblivion

Found this MTV interview with Jamie Alexander over on the CBR boards about yet another topic for who should play the part of Wonder Woman in a live action role.

While I like the idea of having an unknown play the role like Linda Carter of the 70's series fame, I wouldn't mind seeing Jamie Alexander fill Wonder Woman's shoes, who was also Lady Sif in the Thor live action feature.

She brings up some points that have been plaguing Wonder Woman fans on the topic of her attire. When ever I hear the notion that creators want to move forward with a motion picture idea that feature Wonder Woman without her star spangled panties I get a little miffed. On the other hand I think that Wonder Woman also looks better in leggings as long as the star spangled theme isn't lost. The problem of Wonder Woman's costume, in my estimation, is that what ever you set you're sights on for a theatrical interpretation, I would really want there to be an embracing of the character's, neary75 year, heritage and that includes her Ms. America swimsuit aesthetic.

The most notable change to a Superhero theme is Batman. In the Nowlan incarnation and the Burton Batman franchises the character wears all black, making a logical choice to submerge the character into the dark realm of Gotham's inner turmoil, without the grey & blue, and the fans ate it up. I think that this is what people like Jamie Alexander and Sara Lima are driving at when they call for Wonder Woman to be taken seriously as far as her aesthetic, but can Wonder Woman be seen as Wonder Woman if the Red & Blue with Star accents are obscured, diminished, or even ousted? There is some debate over the pending Superman film, Man of Steel, about weather or not his trademark Red & Blue is too dark for the character. that grim and gritty isn't a fair representation of a character of light and hope, much like Wonder Woman.

No Caption Provided

To this debate, I see both sides of the argument, the Traditionalist who want nothing more than a comic book translation of the character to film and the Modernists who see the great potential of Wonder Woman shackled in what they see an archaic and potentially sexist design what could undermine the purpose and theme of the character. The image to the left is a frame from the fan made trailer that's been hopping around the web the last couple of days. It's a back shot of Wonder Woman with her ass falling out of her little boy shorts. Here the creative team is mixing a blend of New and Classic Era Wonder Woman to dress their performer. There is an undeniable air of titillation here that may gear viewer persuasion to see her as a sex object rather than the purist nature of the character.

Wonder Thong
    Wonder Thong

What would Wonder Woman think about all of this jabbering about her fashion sense? To be honest with you I don't think that she would really care, where repressed American culture sees the excess of flesh as social faux pas, too commonly associated with promiscuity or wanton sexual perversion or female impropriety, Diana might be like what's the big deal. The early Perez & Wein comics had her naked in the wilderness on many occasions praying to the Gods to guide her and show her good favor for the outcome of coming events. Perhaps Diana would scoff at the idea, her culture and upbringing, possibly, free of such low minded restrictions an shame.

I stand at the podium of the Traditionalist based on what I think Wonder Woman's Perception would be and the, nearly, 75 years of Wonder Woman's unyielding aesthetic from not only comics but multimedia and merchandising campaigns that have not depicted her in any other fashion. Even the New 52 initiative bowed to the pressure of fandom's outcry to strip Diana of her pants. While I was a fan of the leggings (in contradiction to my stance) I support the long standing fashion choice of the publishers of Wonder Woman comics and history that goes with it. While the image to the right is deeply excessive to any standard of western ideals, I actually think that Wonder Woman would wear something like that as I think she would just as soon be naked challenging her foes as partially clothed here.

That said the notions that I have expressed simply won't sit well the majority of folks who's ideals are in stark contrast to these points and it's always about majority rule in the end.

Though I haven't seen the Borne Supremacy, I do agree with Jamie's desire to see something "AWESOME" in regards to a Wonder Woman live action treatment weather it's on the large or small screen.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Press Oblivion

I guess I wasted my time posting this.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SNascimento

I loved the Bourne trilogy, but I never picture a WW story like that. I'm not sure from where that idea is coming from. I'll give it a thought when I have the chance.

About the costume, I'm divided. I would love to see a classic style costume working. I don't care much about the colors and their tones though. The n52 costume is amazing and it could translate well into the screen, even if you have to add "pants" like it was at first.

But maybe you don't need to focus so much attention at it at first. Sometimes I think about a WW movie and she wouldn't dress her costume untill the very last scene. Would it be so terrible to make a first WW film in which she don't wear her costume? I think it could very well work.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Press Oblivion

Thanks for responding, I appreciate the time.

I don't think that it would be such a bad thing that Wonder Woman fight off some of the threats in plainclothes as it might be more practical to face a surprise threat in that fashion. Pants or singlet, new costume or old I will be at the box office when this movie is ready, with money in hand.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jphulk26

@Press Oblivion said:

WHY?

@SNascimento said:

I loved the Bourne trilogy, but I never picture a WW story like that. I'm not sure from where that idea is coming from. I'll give it a thought when I have the chance.

About the costume, I'm divided. I would love to see a classic style costume working. I don't care much about the colors and their tones though. The n52 costume is amazing and it could translate well into the screen, even if you have to add "pants" like it was at first.

But maybe you don't need to focus so much attention at it at first. Sometimes I think about a WW movie and she wouldn't dress her costume untill the very last scene. Would it be so terrible to make a first WW film in which she don't wear her costume? I think it could very well work.

I could see ww like a bourne supremacy film. I think JA is exaggerating about female comic heroes in film. If she meant in comics, she´s defo right, but not in film. However she needs an iconic version of her costume. I think it can be easily done. I like the idea of her wearing long pants at first, but then just having one shot of her in the classical gear but then she puts roman style armor or war suit over it for the last battle.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Press Oblivion

@jphulk26 said:

@Press Oblivion said:

WHY?

I said that because the post sat here for 2 days earning nearly 60 views but no responses until @SNascimento: showed up. I thought people were tired of the topic, perhaps.

Jamie comments on two things about Wonder Woman, her look and her presence as a strong female.

I've seen the Wonder Woman pilot from David E. Kelly multiple times and that's not what the character was about. I seriously think that Kelly was trying to ground her with, real world, human concerns which I don't feel compromises her character at all, it just makes her a person like the rest of us, with incredible abilities. Was the production perfect? No, not by a long shot but it wasn't the travesty everyone's been crying about. I would have liked to have seen that show make it to TV as I think it could have evolved into something really good.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jphulk26

@Press Oblivion:

AGREED. although I really didn´t like the pilot, I didn´t mind the ww character herself, so maybe they could have explored things further.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By LoganRogue24

i agree with her shes hot and smart i would not mind if she played Rogue from x-men.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Press Oblivion

A lot of people have a peripheral view of Wonder Woman largely built on ignorance and that's how I see Jamie's perspective here. Her Understanding of Wonder Woman is limited.

Where David E. Kelly, may have failed is over embellishing the periphery of Wonder Woman with the company and the 3 identities, it's easier to get to what Wonder Woman is about if you only have Wonder Woman to contend with.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman wears hot pants and her boobs are pushed up to her chin. If that makes people uncomfortable she may not be the character for them. Alias and the Bourne trilogy are good, but they're not Wonder Woman. I'm sick of people trying to shoehorn her into whatever their proclivities or personal agendas might be. I'm also sick of buttoned up prudes trying to desexify her.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Press Oblivion

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE said:

Wonder Woman wears hot pants and her boobs are pushed up to her chin. If that makes people uncomfortable she may not be the character for them. Alias and the Bourne trilogy are good, but they're not Wonder Woman. I'm sick of people trying to shoehorn her into whatever their proclivities or personal agendas might be. I'm also sick of buttoned up prudes trying to desexify her.

well said.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#12  Edited By RazzaTazz

I cant see the video in Canada

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Press Oblivion

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.