Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

J Scott Campbell's Wonder Woman redesign

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

For those that don't know, artist J Scott Campell commented on twitter about his distaste on the new WW costume.

Here is the original tweet:

I rarely comment about comic book industry matters on my personal FB page, but I gotta say, shoulder pads, especially big bulky metal ones NEVER look good on women. Everything about them is unfeminine and lacks style. No grace to this approach at all.

And on a side note, I find the continued knee-jerk reaction to internet message board critics demands to keep female heroines covered from head to toe in fabric an overreaction. She’s an Amazon Warrior, she’s NOT in the *Taliban! unsure emoticon

As you can imagine a Tweet like that caused controversy. Which led to JSC having to explain himself better:

Well, apparently the Twitterverse is flipping out over my comparison of her coverage to being in the Taliban. It was a flippant and off the cuff exaggeration. Figured that was obvious, but I suppose you can’t be surprised these days. Also, my issue wasn’t with “women wearing armor”, it was with the bulky clunky shoulder pads. Again, a detail lost over there on Twitter I guess.

And last JSC created his own version of WW:

No Caption Provided

I’ve been informed by many on Twitter that we can’t handle this kind of Wonder Woman any more. Are they right..?

* Different, updated, but still recognizable as the multi-decades-long icon that she is ✓

* Authentic visual connection to her Grecian/Roman Amazonian culture and background ✓

* Americana infused such as the use of Red White And Blue, Eagle and Stars ✓

* Minimal arm protection thus making her abilities to deflect bullets with only the skillfull use of two small bracelets all the more impressive, as it should be! ✓

* Tasteful level of exposed skin to show off womanly athletic form without resorting to cleavage or thong etc... ✓

* Unencumbered shoulder area for easy twirling of lasso ✓

* Color-scheme bright, uplifting, and positive without excessive dark blackened in areas (well, imagine that it would be!) ✓

* Mild resemblance to Cobie Smulders (ok, I added that one in for me! wink emoticon ✓

Forgive the awkward pose. It's a bit tough putting her into action without covering her costume up. smile emoticon

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I would like to say that shoulder armor/pads do look silly when it's the wearer's few or only piece of armor, especially when they are so small they add next to nothing in terms of protection (which is why they are there). If thats the case, then we are here with this guy:

No Caption Provided

'Captain Freedom' a violent gym-nut out of the Running Man movie, who point blank refuses to go after Arnold's character while wearing a useless piece of kit that the producers insisted would get them better ratings.

Shoulder armor and pads can look good however if accompanied with the rest of the armored suit (if you've played WoW you know this if you've collected any of the set-armors), but this is also a good one:

No Caption Provided

A Sister of Battle out of Warhammer 40K.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

That's basically Fabok's design, but with better hair.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I have to agree with Superguy here, it's just basically Fabok's design albeit with some circular piece of metal on her leg and more Greco/Roman inspired sandals. Still looks pretty nice and infinitely preferable to the Azrael esque Wonder Woman costume.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I dig it.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole J Scott Campbell thing on Twitter was blown so out of proportion. Although, it did give us a really cool WW redesign by JSC. So that's cool.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh I was hoping for something original, like other have said this is fabok design

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No points for originality but she's adorable, she looks like a cute little human-chipmunk. It's very close to Fabok's design but with sandals which I personally adore. I love sandals with shin guards or greaves in the front. It doesn't really cover more skin than the bathing suit though.

However J.Scott Campbell & his bandwagon have got to realize that there's a variety of reasons beyond modesty why women cover themselves up and that wearing clothes is not an attempt against the freedoms won by feminism.

Finch's design does look a lot like it was purposely designed to incite this debate though

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

For those that don't know, artist J Scott Campell commented on twitter about his distaste on the new WW costume.

Here is the original tweet:

I rarely comment about comic book industry matters on my personal FB page, but I gotta say, shoulder pads, especially big bulky metal ones NEVER look good on women. Everything about them is unfeminine and lacks style. No grace to this approach at all.

And on a side note, I find the continued knee-jerk reaction to internet message board critics demands to keep female heroines covered from head to toe in fabric an overreaction. She’s an Amazon Warrior, she’s NOT in the *Taliban! unsure emoticon

As you can imagine a Tweet like that caused controversy. Which led to JSC having to explain himself better:

Well, apparently the Twitterverse is flipping out over my comparison of her coverage to being in the Taliban. It was a flippant and off the cuff exaggeration. Figured that was obvious, but I suppose you can’t be surprised these days. Also, my issue wasn’t with “women wearing armor”, it was with the bulky clunky shoulder pads. Again, a detail lost over there on Twitter I guess.

And last JSC created his own version of WW:

No Caption Provided

I’ve been informed by many on Twitter that we can’t handle this kind of Wonder Woman any more. Are they right..?

* Different, updated, but still recognizable as the multi-decades-long icon that she is ✓

* Authentic visual connection to her Grecian/Roman Amazonian culture and background ✓

* Americana infused such as the use of Red White And Blue, Eagle and Stars ✓

* Minimal arm protection thus making her abilities to deflect bullets with only the skillfull use of two small bracelets all the more impressive, as it should be! ✓

* Tasteful level of exposed skin to show off womanly athletic form without resorting to cleavage or thong etc... ✓

* Unencumbered shoulder area for easy twirling of lasso ✓

* Color-scheme bright, uplifting, and positive without excessive dark blackened in areas (well, imagine that it would be!) ✓

* Mild resemblance to Cobie Smulders (ok, I added that one in for me! wink emoticon ✓

Forgive the awkward pose. It's a bit tough putting her into action without covering her costume up. smile emoticon

I definitely like his version of the costume much better and Diana is finally back in sandals, after so long.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Now this design I like better.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Meh

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I always like J. Scott's work and his WW redesign looks very good.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

To be honest, creating a solid superhero/heroine costume really isn't that difficult and Wonder Woman is no exception.

I wouldn't get to worked up over Finch's "design", most of the re-designs will be temporary and Wonder Woman will likely end up resembling her DCCU counterpart.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to give J. Scott Campbell a medal, or send him money or something, for having the courage to speak truth to power. For the past few years the "Cover Up Ladies League" has been trying to eradicate the comics industry of anything they think is too sexy, or overexposed.

As the premier super heroine and wearer of the iconic swimsuit costume, they've again set their sights on Wonder Woman. The Odyssey costume failed, so this is DC's second attempt to appease them.

No Caption Provided

Like J.Scott Campbell said, it does seem designed by committee to appeal to the vocal set of fans I call the C.U.L.L. The navy blue bodysuit with priest collar was added specifically to cover up skin, it serves no other purpose. Never mind the fact that it's an outfit that Wonder Woman wouldn't wear and that it doesn't at all fit the character's personality, history or background.

This however fits all three...

No Caption Provided

And it's NOT the Fabrook design, it's a lot lighter and less armored than Fabrook's also excellent costume...

No Caption Provided

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I admire both designs actually... I guess I can settle for whatever may be the final choice.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you put diana in a sister of battle set of power armour I could so Dig It. If your going to change WW outfit keep it simple the greek/roman battle skirt and the breast armour of the day with the bracelts and armoured greaves.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.