Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Is Wonder Woman New 52 a Buy or a Pass ?

• 56 results
    z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So after reading the awesome Superman / Wonder Woman seris ( yes it's awesome ) I was going to buy the trades for Diana's solo seris. So is it a buy or a miss.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's one of, if not the best, New 52 series IMO. Buy it

NewKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NewKid

alongside batman and animal man it's my fave DC series. def pick it up.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

buy

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Outside_85

You can happily forget the rest of the landfill that makes up the New 52, just buy this.

But you are going to be dissapointed if you think Wonder Woman has anything in common with Superman/Girlfriend.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Buy

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes but it wont be the same ww from SM/WW book

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

WW is different in each of the books, SM/WW, Justice League and her own comic, but to answer the question, I would buy it. Its a marmite book and some die hard WW fans such as GokuWarrior hate it, but I have bought two issues so far and just added it to my "pull list" and rate them as two of my favourite comics....

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I personally don't like it at all but enough people do to check it out for yourself.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If you want cheesy Wonder Woman, don't bother. If you want serious Wonder Woman, pick it up.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kidstandout

definate yes. the main difference between this ww and the one from the smww is being that it's set before, or atleast what i can surmise as before, ww is against the concept of settling down. other than that, she is mostly the same. that and her best qualities are shown more as well as having a great supporting cast. the thing i really like about her solo is that it has one story, with plenty of build up and no interfering crossovers. the cream of the crop for the new 52 alongside aquaman and batman.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gokuwarrior

@superguy1591 said:

If you want cheesy Wonder Woman, don't bother. If you want serious Wonder Woman, pick it up.

there was nothing cheesy about her perez and ruka runs,so get your facts right,azzarello's run is not a true horror title like he said,a true horror title destroys this title that only his writter can think of it as horror,perez and ruka runs defined WW's personality properly,they had the proper amount of struggles and action,and their WW had her feet on the ground and knew how to work under presure,not like azzarello's version who is naive,weak and seems lost all the time.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gokuwarrior

wait until a better writter comes along,azzarello trys to writte a horror title and fails at it,then fails at writting a super hero and fails at writting good action and his story takes one step per year.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Buy.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

As it has been said already, the New 52 Wonder Woman series will be definitely from the Wonder Woman in Superman/Wonder Woman and Justice League. It's a much more isolated, independent and unique story and Wonder Woman's world is almost isolated and separated off from the rest of the New 52 DCU. However, it's definitely one of the best New 52 stories and it's my personal favourite DC, if not comic book series on my pull list. Amazing storytelling and intricate plot threads built up to satisfying conclusions with plenty of shocking twists along the way. I'd certainly recommend buying this series.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of the few N52 books I'd recommend. It's awesome.

BloodyNights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deff a buy in my book!

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By bloggerboy

One of the few truly excellent New 52 titles. Buy it!

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I love it. It's a Wonder Woman book that reads like a Vertigo title.....

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By r2datu

Buy, it's great, in my opinion.

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Buy, Vol 4 is going to be out in HC in about 2 months

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy, It's one of the best new 52 comics

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

buy, it's really good and stay with the same writer (which is great).

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By SaintWildcard

@z3ro180 said:

So after reading the awesome Superman / Wonder Woman seris ( yes it's awesome ) I was going to buy the trades for Diana's solo seris. So is it a buy or a miss.

I'm doing the same thing. Im impatiently waiting for volume 3.

gettogaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also reading the trades(Vol.3 pb is taking soooo long to be released) and it's definitely one of the better titles out of the 14 New 52 titles I read.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dshipp17

This all depends on your taste; and based upon taste, this depends on if you're looking for the comic book to be more in the expected format or in a different format; but, this run is a very different format, as it appears to be an effort by DC to somehow intertwine or redefine your image of Wonder Woman to be ingrained in Greek Mythology, especially with her comment in the prior issue of SW/WW where she appears to be too dense to not recognize the meaning and substance of Christmas, with emphasis on the "Christ" part; this would be quite remarkable with the Justice League being based in locations where the cultures have a very clear recognition of Christmas; than, after examining from that layer, would you prefer Wonder Woman to be in the mold of the Perez run or in the mold of the Marston and Messner-Loebs run? While the current run appeared to be taking the format of the Perez group, in a way, with the most recent issue, the current run may go to the Marston and Messner-Loebs format, as I thought would be, after reading issue 1. To truly determine your taste in Wonder Woman, it's always best to read everything Wonder Woman, hence, starting with the Marston material, but, if you seem to want to shortcut the process, than you will either go with the Perez group or the Marston and Messner-Loebs group, while skipping one of the groups; if you like the Wonder Woman that matched Superman (e.g. the 2005 and later group), than you're probably with the Perez group, or if you want to see how she was traditionally portrayed, than you should go with the Marston and Messner-Loebs group; although I'm firmly with the Marston and Messner-Loebs group in my taste, there were parts of the Perez, Rucka, Simone, JMS/Hester, and the current runs that I did like; Rucka's run was incomplete, as a DC wide event disrupted and, finally, cut off his run prematurely, but he was developing a plot involving Dr. Psycho and Ferdinand, so, despite not really preferring the over powered version of Wonder Woman, he gave me something to like about his run, also; pretty much every story arc Simone tried to developed was eventually disrupted by editorial, except the last story arc, which could not be completed, because, by that time, it was decided to remove her from the book; but, I liked where Simone was going with all of her story arcs, except the last one, and, especially, what she attempted to accomplish with Wonder Woman in Secret Six; I really like the first 16 or so issues of the Perez run, but had limited enjoyment due to the concentration of Greek Mythology; for me, the JMS/Hester run was too centered on graphic violence and the over all plot of the story could not be enjoyed, because the very basics of a plot was made into the mystery of the story (e.g. the gradually eroding of the Amazons into their perception, the surrounding impressions of Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman's location, Wonder Woman social life, etc; these questions were scraped in the interest of fighting a foe that was mysterious; and a whole lot could have been spent on Dr. Psycho and how he knew what he knew, what he did to Wonder Woman to help her healing process, further interactions with Wonder Woman, and the ultimate fate of Bellona at the hands of Dr. Psycho and his lackey; did Dr. Psycho survive the explosion?).

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: lol Gokuwarrior is not a diehard Wonder Woman fan.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WDW
    @gokuwarrior said:

@superguy1591 said:

there was nothing cheesy about her perez and ruka runs,so get your facts right,azzarello's run is not a true horror title like he said,a true horror title destroys this title that only his writter can think of it as horror,perez and ruka runs defined WW's personality properly,they had the proper amount of struggles and action,and their WW had her feet on the ground and knew how to work under presure,not like azzarello's version who is naive,weak and seems lost all the time.

opinion not fact

Perez was (mostly boring but satisfactory). Rucka was Amazing, Azzarello is totally on point so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its slow but interesting.

Alertcircuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

As it has been said already, the New 52 Wonder Woman series will be definitely from the Wonder Woman in Superman/Wonder Woman and Justice League. It's a much more isolated, independent and unique story and Wonder Woman's world is almost isolated and separated off from the rest of the New 52 DCU. However, it's definitely one of the best New 52 stories and it's my personal favourite DC, if not comic book series on my pull list. Amazing storytelling and intricate plot threads built up to satisfying conclusions with plenty of shocking twists along the way. I'd certainly recommend buying this series.

Although isolation can be a good thing. I'm sick of having to drop titles because they turn into tie-ins for events I don't care about.

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's mostly an either you really like it or dislike it

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I'm also reading the trades(Vol.3 pb is taking soooo long to be released) and it's definitely one of the better titles out of the 14 New 52 titles I read.

It comes out in 2 months (along with Vol 4 HC)

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Buy, It's one of the best new 52 comics

These.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its a sure buy... i have been very busy for the past year with academic work and since i barey have time for leisure i decided to follow only one book and it is the only comic book i am reading. Earlier i had around 35-40 dc books in my pull list.. and when i had to pick one, it is what i picked

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

I'd say pass but that's just my opinion. Volume one of Azz's run was actually the first Wonder Woman comic I ever read. I wasn't very impressed with it but I went back and got a bunch of her post-crisis trades from the library and that's when I fell in love with her. I have been keeping up with her current run though. Not always legally I'll admit. I love the character enough to keep reading it but I don't really like what Azz is doing. I wasn't crazy about the idea of the pairing at first but I actually think SS/WW is a much better book then her solo right now.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say pass but that's just my opinion. Volume one of Azz's run was actually the first Wonder Woman comic I ever read. I wasn't very impressed with it but I went back and got a bunch of her post-crisis trades from the library and that's when I fell in love with her. I have been keeping up with her current run though. Not always legally I'll admit. I love the character enough to keep reading it but I don't really like what Azz is doing. I wasn't crazy about the idea of the pairing at first but I actually think SS/WW is a much better book then her solo right now.

seriously!? now i like that book too but what about diana in that book is better then her solo? considering complaints about her being second fiddle, id think even you would like her solo better. but i already have a feeling why you would say that.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout: What makes it better is that she actually has her personalty back in that book. Unlike in Azz's book where she has none. Admittedly she has been made into a damsel in distress a couple times in the book which I wasn't crazy about. That mostly has to do with how Superman approaches relationships though. I think we'll see her coming to his rescue more as the book goes one.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria: IMO her personality is just as present, only difference is that in her book there are more interesting background personalities ex strife zola hera, which take a little of the spotlight off of her.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria said:

@kidstandout: What makes it better is that she actually has her personalty back in that book. Unlike in Azz's book where she has none. Admittedly she has been made into a damsel in distress a couple times in the book which I wasn't crazy about. That mostly has to do with how Superman approaches relationships though. I think we'll see her coming to his rescue more as the book goes one.

It has to do with how Soule see's conventional heterosexual relationships (the damsel x the hero) yet Superman and Wonder Woman are two exceptional beings. Instead of combining their personalities into a relationship, he adjusted them to the relationship he envisioned. Consequently, her personality is tasteless, she has no emotions in this book. In his homonymous title, though he's in this relationship with Wonder Woman, his heart belongs to Lois Lane can you believe it.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kidstandout

@muffin_sangria said:

It has to do with how Soule see's conventional heterosexual relationships (the damsel x the hero) yet Superman and Wonder Woman are two exceptional beings. Instead of combining their personalities into a relationship, he adjusted them to the relationship he envisioned. Consequently, her personality is tasteless, she has no emotions in this book. In his homonymous title, though he's in this relationship with Wonder Woman, his heart belongs to Lois Lane can you believe it.

idk about that last bit, letting her be drained by a parasite just to protect his secret identity doesn't scream love.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout: yeah but there's an unfulfilled love between them and it's obviously intentional, i'm not imagining things. It's implicit but conspicuous like when he sees Lois Lane dressed up as Wonder Woman in his hallucination, then she completely threw himself at him. Or when he blew off Wonder Woman to return Lois' thought to her body, in his arms, though it could've gone by itself..

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kidstandout

@archizoom: there are some unresolved emotions between the two, but him being in love with lois at this point is a stretch. mind you the sm/ww book is set after his solos, so the likely hood of these unresolved feelings towards lois having chance of escalating is small. especially considering that forevil is after that and there still together by that point, which could mean that they've been together anywhere from 1-3 years.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria said:

^This, even if I hadn't been a WW fan before Azz butchered her, I still wouldn't like his book. All my life I've hated bad puns and his writing is loaded with them. I'm a hip-hop head so I'm used to hearing clever plays on words, but his are so contrived, they always fall flat.

Add to that the fact it's sooooo sloooowwwww...and when the "climaxes" happen, they're always anti-climactic and unsatisfying. After waiting years for progression, there's never any resolution. The story loops back around to the same main plot points, "there's a baby, must protect the baby, oops the baby's missing, lets find the baby, have you seen the baby?, please help me look for the baby?".

We can't ever get any traction and it's annoying. The art often leaves a lot to be desired as well, Superman/Wonder Woman is a much better book.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ArchiZoom

@kidstandout said:

@archizoom: there are some unresolved emotions between the two, but him being in love with lois at this point is a stretch. mind you the sm/ww book is set after his solos, so the likely hood of these unresolved feelings towards lois having chance of escalating is small. especially considering that forevil is after that and there still together by that point, which could mean that they've been together anywhere from 1-3 years.

It's not a stretch of my imagination, it's a clearly intentional insinuation. Wonder Woman shares his heart with Lois Lane and it feels as though he's in this relationship with Diana because Lois got in a relationship with Jonathan first. I think the fact that he imagined Lois dressed up as wonder woman in his hallucination and not the other way around speaks volumes of whom Superman's heart truly belongs to. And while his love for Diana is very questionable, her love for him is professed. He actually had her saying "I couldn't love superman more" just moments before he carried Lois in his arms back to the hospital...I'm not a big fan of Azzarello's run either but in the end, his version of wonder woman, although mediocre, is actually the best being written right now.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: well clearly he got over lois because in sm/ww, there's no indication he is thinking of lois while being with diana. and being that's its set after his solo and before forever evil, it definitely is a stretch at the moment. if something happens after forever evil, that could change

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't really been keeping up with Justice League or Superman's solo comic so there might not be bits I'm missing out on. I think they've said that this relationship is eventually going to end. I assume he'll eventually end up back with Lois. I think the benefit of a reboot is that you can explore things like this that wouldn't have made sense at all before. I don't think SM/WW is a couple that should be together forever but it kinda makes sense that they would at least try dating.

One thing that I'm hoping for is that after this is over that she'll start dating Steve again. I think is was a big waste for them to introduce him as a love interest again but then just fast forward through the whole relationship. They hadn't been together since pre-crisis and I think there was a lot that could have been done with that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.