Is Wonder Woman becoming Overpowered?

• 100 results
#1 Posted by ten4now (15 posts) - - Show Bio

is she gaining to much power and will she be like superman to much to handle and she does not really have a real weakness.

So is she becoming to god-like, or is is she not good enough.

#2 Posted by The Stegman (25972 posts) - - Show Bio

She has plenty of weaknesses, cutting weapons, other demi gods/gods, people of equal or greater strength, magics. She's not overpowered at all. 

#3 Posted by starrk_coyote (600 posts) - - Show Bio

simple as that! >.<

#4 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman goes up against epically powerful people, and so should she. She's far off from overpowered.

#5 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20443 posts) - - Show Bio

The only real thing that has changed about Wonder Woman recently is that she is completely bulletproof, which makes sense to me.

And Diana is far from being overpowered. She's pretty balanced in my opinion; able to hang around the tough high-tier characters and brawl with street levelers in terms of hand-to-hand/ancient weaponry combat.

#6 Posted by theOVOXO (94 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of the reason i like wonder woman is that she doesn't rely on brute strength like superman, but on her Amazon training.

#7 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

The only real thing that has changed about Wonder Woman recently is that she is completely bulletproof, which makes sense to me.

And Diana is far from being overpowered. She's pretty balanced in my opinion; able to hang around the tough high-tier characters and brawl with street levelers in terms of hand-to-hand/ancient weaponry combat.

That is a different universe, current mainstream blocks bullets in early JLA. In that universe Superman seemed stronger too considering he stunned an Areas that claimed he was at his strongest on the Battle field.

It is interesting they made a point of changing this, wonder if DC will reflect this in the main universe.

This also why people complain characters overpowered, they mix feats from different universes and continuities.

#8 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20443 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

That is a different universe, current mainstream blocks bullets in early JLA. In that universe Superman seemed stronger too considering he stunned an Areas that claimed he was at his strongest on the Battle field.

It is interesting they made a point of changing this, wonder if DC will reflect this in the main universe.

This also why people complain characters overpowered, they mix feats from different universes and continuities.

Yeah I know that is from the Injustice comic book. Forgot to mention that.

#9 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

She's been overpowered. Alot of DC's characters are.

#10 Posted by Rumble Man (11073 posts) - - Show Bio

So you like your women weak and defenseless?

pathetic

#11 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@ten4now: she is not overpowered,she is supposed to be a powerhouse and be able to hold her own against many of the big powerhouses of DC universe,so it's good that they portay her like the powerhouse she was always meant to be.

#12 Posted by The Stegman (25972 posts) - - Show Bio
@drgnx said:

I hope they make her completely bulletproof, I think it's kinda ridiculous that Ms.Marvel, Hulk, and Aquaman have some level of bullet resistance, yet Wonder Woman has to use bracelets to deflect them.
#13 Edited by marvel123 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

i wonder if any of the other amazons are bulletproof? its getting harder and harder to tell an WW apart from a kryptonian, is that a good thing?

#14 Posted by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: Yeah, they can make her BP without making her too durable, like they did with Aquaman, so she still needs her bracelets for Super villains.

#15 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I am ok with Wonder Woman being as powerful as Captain marvel and Superman. Captain Marvel seems more powerful bec. he now can do any type of magic and seems like he can do anything like the old Green Lanterns.

#16 Posted by a88378438 (3420 posts) - - Show Bio

overpower?hell,no!

she never destroy a planet or move the sun just like OVERPOWER SILVER AGE SUPERMAN!

#17 Posted by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol!

#18 Posted by BlackWind (7181 posts) - - Show Bio

No, Doctor Fate is overpowered. But he has the excuse of not fighting street level crime and regularly throwing down with cosmics.

#19 Posted by tensor (5081 posts) - - Show Bio

@ten4now: she is zeus daughter in the new 52 so do the maths.

#20 Edited by Bogey (970 posts) - - Show Bio

Overpowered if she had some kind of energy projections.

#21 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: what do you mean by not making her too durable?,wonder woman should be much more durable than aquaman,she should be durable enough to take attacks from some of the biggest powerhouses in the DC universe without going down,her bracelets can still be used because there will always be attacks powerful enough to hurt her,even if she can take a lot of attacks from superman,gods etc,those attacks can eventually take her down if she takes too much of them until she exceeds her durability limits,so her bracelets can still be useful,even with a very high level of durability,the bracelets will still be useful.

#22 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bogey: she should have energy powers,shazam has,and wonder woman is zeus daugther now,she is half god,so it'd be good to give her energy projection,like lightnings,she had that ability before the rebot,now that she is zeus daugther it would make much more sense.

#23 Posted by Bogey (970 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@Bogey: she should have energy powers,shazam has,and wonder woman is zeus daugther now,she is half god,so it'd be good to give her energy projection,like lightnings,she had that ability before the rebot,now that she is zeus daugther it would make much more sense.

Marvel's Hercules doesn't have those powers even though they both have the same father.

#24 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bogey: marvel hercules has nothing to do with this,wonder woman used to have zeus lighting before the rebot,now she is zeus daugther and she has access to some type of god mode when she takes off her bracelets,we still don't know her limits,she should have lightnings powers now,.

#25 Posted by Bogey (970 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@Bogey: marvel hercules has nothing to do with this,wonder woman used to have zeus lighting before the rebot,now she is zeus daugther and she has access to some type of god mode when she takes off her bracelets,we still don't know her limits,she should have lightnings powers now,.

No she didn't. Neither did any other amazon like Artemis.

#26 Posted by Dernman (15678 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes and no.

#27 Posted by a88378438 (3420 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@drgnx: what do you mean by not making her too durable?

The statement was self-explanatory., but since you have, once again, responded to my post completely unaware of what the context of the conversation is; let me make it clearer, I referring upping her durability against piercing objects (to Aquaman's level) and leaving her blunt force durability as is.

,wonder woman should be much more durable than aquaman,she should be durable enough to take attacks from some of the biggest powerhouses in the DC universe without going down,her bracelets can still be used because there will always be attacks powerful enough to hurt her,even if she can take a lot of attacks from superman,gods etc,those attacks can eventually take her down if she takes too much of them until she exceeds her durability limits,so her bracelets can still be useful,even with a very high level of durability,the bracelets will still be useful.

So what is this nonsense? Seriously, I mentioned that they should up her durability against bullets to Aquaman's displayed durability, and I get this ... Word of GokuWarrior thrown at me because I didn't give her Superman level Durability? I want to respond to this and ignore it at the same time...

Here is a thought, there are people out here with opinions other than yours, who would like to discuss the character without turning her into Super-Shazam-WoMan, or her villains to Galactus.

#29 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (799 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman:

. Making her invulnerable completely invalidates Bullets & Bracelets and that's a hallmark of her abilities. Why would you want her to be like everyone else? It's bad enough her origin has been altered to make her darker, which has apparently somehow become a prerequisite to crime fighting in the New 52.

#30 Posted by The Stegman (25972 posts) - - Show Bio
@SCORPIO_CASSADINE said:

@The Stegman:

. Making her invulnerable completely invalidates Bullets & Bracelets and that's a hallmark of her abilities. Why would you want her to be like everyone else? It's bad enough her origin has been altered to make her darker, which has apparently somehow become a prerequisite to crime fighting in the New 52.

I didn't say get rid of the bracelets, I said make her at least semi bullet proof, like Aquaman. She can still use them to block lightning bolts, energy blasts, Omega Beams etc. I just think that if she is blessed by the gods (now a demi god herself) and can tank blows from Superman, that her being injured by bullets is silly. And how exactly is her being the daughter of Zeus now making her ''darker"? She seems to be the same Diana I remember. 
#31 Posted by wonderW (100 posts) - - Show Bio

yes bring back the lightning attack

#32 Posted by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE said:

@The Stegman:

I didn't say get rid of the bracelets, I said make her at least semi bullet proof, like Aquaman. She can still use them to block lightning bolts, energy blasts, Omega Beams etc. I just think that if she is blessed by the gods (now a demi god herself) and can tank blows from Superman, that her being injured by bullets is silly. And how exactly is her being the daughter of Zeus now making her ''darker"? She seems to be the same Diana I remember.

Her Mom had an affair with Zeus, and her Sisters seduce men then kill men, and sell their sons for weapons.

#33 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bogey: wonder woman had the ability to chanel zeus lighting during the simone run,she had that ability before the flashpoint events that made the big step into the rebot,now that she is zeus daugther she should have lightnings again,it makes even more sense than more.

#34 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: i never said that her villans should be galactus level,you said and i quote,"they can make her bullet proof without making her too durable like they did to aquaman",so i just wanted to clarify that her durability against physical and energy attacks should be way above aquaman level,because i thought you were saying that she shouldn't be too durable,which would be silly for someone with her power standard.

#35 Posted by darthphoenix (974 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: a bullet hit her face, all went to her boobs, maybe she is overpowered. she now has magnetic boobs

#36 Posted by The Stegman (25972 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

@The Stegman said:

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE said:

@The Stegman:

Her Mom had an affair with Zeus, and her Sisters seduce men then kill men, and sell their sons for weapons.

She didn't know about either of those things taking place until she was a grown woman, and again, how does her mother's and fellow Amazons' actions make HER darker? Did Diana kill the men herself? Is Diana now having affairs with gods? Nope, she's the same as she always was.

#37 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@drgnx: i never said that her villans should be galactus level,you said and i quote,"they can make her bullet proof without making her too durable like they did to aquaman",so i just wanted to clarify that her durability against physical and energy attacks should be way above aquaman level,because i thought you were saying that she shouldn't be too durable,which would be silly for someone with her power standard.

Yes, the emphasis being on the words bullet proof when making the comparison; in other words; making her bullet proof would not make her too durable, like in the case of Aquaman.

#38 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18677 posts) - - Show Bio

yes

#39 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: that's why i responded,i agree she should be bullet proof like aquaman,but i think she should also keep her durability level against physical and energy attacks in a much higer level than aquaman,i was talking about her durability as a whole,she should keep being much more durable than someone like aquaman.

#40 Posted by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@drgnx said:

@The Stegman said:

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE said:

@The Stegman:

She didn't know about either of those things taking place until she was a grown woman, and again, how does her mother's and fellow Amazons' actions make HER darker? Did Diana kill the men herself? Is Diana now having affairs with gods? Nope, she's the same as she always was.

Her back-story has darker tones to it now. I'm pointing out what SCORPIO_CASSADINE, was most likely referring to. How it actually makes her darker is his case to make.

#41 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: she should be too durable to be harmed by lightnings,and she should be durable enough to take some powerful energy attacks like omega beams,of course that those kind of attacks could eventually take her down,but she should be durable enough to take some attacks like that,and the bracelets will still be useful to avoid more damage than what she can withstand,even if she can take powerful attacks like omega beams,heat vision or energy attacks from gods,she can't take damage forever,the durability has a limit,so the bracelets will always be useful,when she wants to prevent more damage there will be a reason to use the bracelets,there will always be situations to use the bracelets.

#42 Posted by Lvenger (21143 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe but I wouldn't have Diana any other way.

#43 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@drgnx: that's why i responded,i agree she should be bullet proof like aquaman,but i think she should also keep her durability level against physical and energy attacks in a much higer level than aquaman,i was talking about her durability as a whole,she should keep being much more durable than someone like aquaman.

You know, I let this go several times to be indulgent, and because I was not overly interested in the subject, but you keep trying point out that Wonder Women should be more durable than Aquaman: This is you trying to push your opinion, one which is completely unsubstantiated by anything we have seen as of DCnU. Aquaman has become very popular and DC seems to be making him stronger, as a result. It makes sense because they want to build on any momentum they can get and a reboot is the best time for a revamp. I have little clue about him historically so I really don't have an opinion, on this matter at this point, but from what others have said he has had some good showings in the past, including Flash-point. So what is with this obsessive objection of comparable stats between Aquaman and Wonder Women?

#44 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2215 posts) - - Show Bio

She makes swords out of nowhere, other than that, she's essentially the same as she's always been.

#45 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: you said that her blunt force durability should stay the same,well in the past her durability against physical and energy attacks was higher than aquaman's and i think it should stay that way.

and i'm not trying to push my oppinin,you are free to think whatever you want.

#46 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@drgnx: you said that her blunt force durability should stay the same,

Actually I was mainly agreeing with Sageman that they could increase her durability without changing the character too much (in the context of this title) and using Aquaman as an example of both piercing durability and how it would not effect the character too much.

well in the past her durability against physical and energy attacks was higher than aquaman's and i think it should stay that way.

There really is no real logic behind that, and while that does not make it a bad wish, it is why I'm not interested in debating it; as characters and balances change. That and it has little to do with the conversation I was having that you initially referenced.

#47 Posted by darkman61288 (781 posts) - - Show Bio

I think DC's characters are generally overpowered.

#48 Edited by marvel123 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: @gokuwarrior: sorry for long essay, it all starts with this guy.........

"William Moulton Marston First issue credit: Unknown

The man behind it all, the creator of Wonder Woman from the 40s. Marston had felt that the comic scene was overrun by male characters and felt that Wonder Woman would help balance it out. Marston wanted to create a character like Superman with his powers, but with her own caring personality."

my question is...........Why

i understand that DC was going for gender equality, but if they were looking for the female version of superman, why not make her a kryptonian or even a daxamite, (or even someone like maxima). the rest of the amazonians don't fly through space, run faster than bullets, or fly around moving planets ect, neither does hercules or even any other of the greek myth gods......so my quesion is WHY have they decided to fashion WW according to the standards of superman

unless its a villain, characters as powerful as superman, should at least have some form of weakness (imo). it brings them down to earth, shows that they are not unbeatable, it humbles them ................and now WW doesn't have a weakness........ but i guess thats what some WW fans want. kryptonians have kryptonite/ magic, martians and atlanteans have fire/ heat, the shazam familiy are vulnerable in their normal state, GL's weakness are yellow constructs, ect. she is already more powerful than the rest of the amazonians and has better feats than the greek heroes, it seems like some WW fans still speak as if she's entitled to be superior to every one else.... superman isn't necessarily superior to other kryptonians, hal isn't superior to his fellow GL's , the atlanteans are generally equal, ect............i mean poor hercules, he was the original demigod, and he didn't get fashioned after a super powered alien, sure he has his strength, but he doesn't get to fly through space and travel as fast as kryptonians, or get extra powers by taking off restraints, neither do the other amazons....why should WW be superior to then in that sense?

i want the standard to be the same for all amazonians or children of zeus to be relatively equal jus as i'd want equal abilities for kryptonians (both men and women), just as aquaman, mera generally share equal feats/ abilities with the rest of the atlanteans, and martians posses the same feats/abilites as each other, and the marvel family posseses similar feats/abilities, the flash family, the GL core.

by fashioning a character from WW's greek origin to fit that of a super powered alien such as superman, .....her abilities wouldn't be consitent with the rest of the amazonians or the heroes in greek mythology (especially hercules).............so imo, yes is overpowered relative to those in her greek origin................the sad thing is that sometimes it seems as if she's treated/written/portrayed as more kryptonian-like than supergirl/powergirl........who will always be stuck in WW's shadow. just my opinion tho

#49 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvel123:

I don't think WW has ever been a normal Amazon though. Not sure about the first appearance, though I know she got the clay origin at some point. But has gotten stronger over time, like a lot of other heroes. Now she is a demi-god. So she is as much an outsider to the other Amazons as Superman is to earth (WARNING: I'm being over-dramatic).

This does give DC some room to play with. Demi-gods can very as a mixed race, that is consistent with other portrayals too.

As for why the artist did it the way he did, I'm not sure anyone but him can answer, that is between an artist and his art. =P

#50 Edited by marvel123 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: yeah, my question would be more for William Moulton Marston.

i know they both didn't start out as the superpowers they are, but now, the only difference b/t WW and every other kryptonian (superman family, zod, faora, ursa, h'el,non, the kandorians, ect.) is their heat/xray vision, freeze breathe and the vulnerability to kryptonite/magic.

with every upgrade superman got, WW got also...........but the thing is, they are not the same. if they wanted a female superhero with powers like superman, then why not make her a kryptonian ( thats why we have super girl or other female kryptonians) or even a daxamite (who is from a neighboring planet of krypton). now you have WW looking like a kryptonian among normal amazonians, and she seems to have far better abilities than hercules (the original demi god)...........and now i hear ppl saying that without her bracelets she surpasses superman,( they very same individual that Marston created her to be like).....

i don't mean to rant, i'm sorry, but its just this sense that i get from WW fans that she just HAS to be superior to every other character

imo, i think the 2009 animated WW film shows the perfect incarnation........i didn't see her as a carbon copy of a kryptonian at all

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.