Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8804 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Is Wo. Woman's Outfit the Reason Studios Don't Take Her Seriously

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

Is Wonder Woman's Outfit the Reason that Movie Studios Don't Take Her Seriously?

No Caption Provided
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Primmaster64

....I think so. All my friends WW is a sex symbol.

Cirelick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Cirelick

Hollywood is too politically correct. Her skimpy outfit would upset some PC people. If they altered her outfit to keep the PC people quiet, then the WW fans would be upset.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By cattlebattle

What??

If anything Hollywood would bank on an attractive, half naked woman

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Deranged Midget

@cattlebattle said:

What?? If anything Hollywood would bank on an attractive, half naked woman

Most likely.

I think it's more along the lines that casual audiences don't really understand the character.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Aiden Cross

The only way I see a Wonder Woman movie working is if they take a Xena like approach. Keep it in Thermyscera and with the Amazons and have some supernatural elements to it. If they take Wonder Woman and put her in the modern world... i just don't see it working on film.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Deranged Midget said:

@cattlebattle said:

Most likely.

I think it's more along the lines that casual audiences don't really understand the character.

Whats to understand really? Wonder Woma, like Superman and Batman is one of those characters everyone knows. My one sister, has never read a comic in her life and will still pretend to deflect bullets when she wears an enormous bracelet....everyone knows Wonder Womans deal
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kidchipotle

@cattlebattle said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@cattlebattle said:

Most likely.

Whats to understand really? Wonder Woma, like Superman and Batman is one of those characters everyone knows. My one sister, has never read a comic in her life and will still pretend to deflect bullets when she wears an enormous bracelet....everyone knows Wonder Womans deal

Agreed on all this. I think it's a matter of how they would tell her story. Like would it be against cheetah or a greek mythology route. It could either turn out great like 300 or horrible like every other movie like that.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Deranged Midget

@cattlebattle said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@cattlebattle said:

Most likely.

The majority of my friends merely consider her as the female stripper version of Superman. I base it off that.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ArturoCalaKayVee: Going down the animated Wonder Woman film wouldn't be a bad idea since that was a pretty solid entry.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mercy_

No, it's not. Not at all.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Deranged Midget said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@cattlebattle said:

Most likely.

The majority of my friends merely consider her as the female stripper version of Superman. I base it off that.

Your friends are pretty dumb.....I am kidding

She had a famous televsion show that most people middle aged and older acknowledge....there is a pretty large demographic right there, then you have the twenty year olds that might remember her from the Justice League show...I would argue she is pretty well known all over the board...her origin story is probably not well known due to the stories being different televison show and movie
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Deranged Midget

@cattlebattle: No you're correct, they're pretty much airheads involving anything in the comic-book world.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#14  Edited By AssertingValor

no, superman was and is a big sucess overall and he is a dude in tights.............

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kidchipotle

@Deranged Midget said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee: Going down the animated Wonder Woman film wouldn't be a bad idea since that was a pretty solid entry.

I loved the animated film but I think it would be much harder to pull off as a live-action thing. Greek mythology films, in my opinion, seem to be cursed with being horrible movies. Clash of the Titans and Immortal are two that come to mind which is why I'm uncertain if a Wonder Woman film will be successful.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By ReVamp

No.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@Deranged Midget said:

I loved the animated film but I think it would be much harder to pull off as a live-action thing. Greek mythology films, in my opinion, seem to be cursed with being horrible movies. Clash of the Titans and Immortal are two that come to mind which is why I'm uncertain if a Wonder Woman film will be successful.

I blame it on the writers, not the era.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kidchipotle

@Deranged Midget said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@Deranged Midget said:

This is true. WW would need an amazing writer as well as a ton of money invested into it. If it's anything like GL effects-wise, I'd punch the movie screen.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@Aiden Cross said:

The only way I see a Wonder Woman movie working is if they take a Xena like approach. Keep it in Thermyscera and with the Amazons and have some supernatural elements to it. If they take Wonder Woman and put her in the modern world... i just don't see it working on film.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Adnan

The fact the she has no equivalent to real well-known arch-nemesis, in the vein of Batman and Joker or Superman and Lex Luthor, doesn't help. Infact, her rogues gallery is neither as well-developed or as well-known as the rest of DC's trinity. She also didn't get an animated series like Superman and Batman did, so a lot of the younger people, around my age, won't really know much about her.

Avatar image for crimson_butterfly
    Crimson_Butterfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they could make a movie but:

1.She wears a stripper outfit

2.Wearing the american colors despite not being american herself(They could change it to her new52 color)

3.Her villains are not known

4.Confusing origin

They should make an animated series first. I would love that more.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#22  Edited By RazzaTazz

I think it is more so that she has no canonical story to tell, her origin is kind of bizarre for mainstream Hollywood and she has not really well defined arch enemy.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@Deranged Midget said:

This is true. WW would need an amazing writer as well as a ton of money invested into it. If it's anything like GL effects-wise, I'd punch the movie screen.

Oh god... How I wished Green Lantern actually succeeded...

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By RainEffect

I would actually agree. It's very much why I prefer the Wonder Woman Odyssey approach. The long pants, the gladiator-esque arm gear and the near fully covering jacket. It removes her sex-symbol label and gives her strength without objectifying her.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kidchipotle

@Deranged Midget said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Oh god... How I wished Green Lantern actually succeeded...

So do I. That's why we have to look forward to Green Lantern 2 being TDK-esque and hope the Sinestro Wars is written out amazingly (if they decide to go with that route)

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ArturoCalaKayVee: If a sequel even becomes green-lit, which I doubt considering how much of a bomb the first was. I hope they make a sequel and hopefully they learn from their mistakes.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kidchipotle

@Deranged Midget said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee: If a sequel even becomes green-lit, which I doubt considering how much of a bomb the first was. I hope they make a sequel and hopefully they learn from their mistakes.

The sequel has been green-lit and I'm pretty sure so has the third.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Raiiyn

@Aiden Cross said:

Exactly this. If they try to do anything else, the entire movie will just turn into a cheeseball.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TAneT62

Take a chance Director's and screen writers, you never know the outcome.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

It's not the costume it's finding the actress to put in the costume. WW is an amazon, you can't put some 5' 5" 120 lb emaciated Hollywood type in her boots. The chick they tried to have portray her in the failed NBC series didn't look anything like WW.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By joshmightbe

No a woman constantly in T and A accentuating swimwear just screams respect me

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By jrock85

No.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By Aiden Cross

@Raiiyn said:

@Aiden Cross said:

Exactly this. If they try to do anything else, the entire movie will just turn into a cheeseball.

i didn't want to put it quite like that, but yes :p

But to say Wonder Woman doesn't have any interesting villains i don't quite agree with. Ares, Circe, Anann, Hades or Hercules (probably not Hercules because he's already viewed as a hero by the majority :P).. could all work in a movie.

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RogueOracle

I wish we could have seen Joss's vision of her come to life. I liked the way he described his take on her.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#35  Edited By Hawkeye446

@lykopis said:

@Raiiyn said:

@Aiden Cross said:

Well -- if they keep it in Ancient Greece -- then Wonder Woman kind of loses her allure. I agree with the focus on her warrior-ness, and yes, based in Thermyscera - but it needs to be in the modern world or the audience will not be interested.

Well, they want to lead it up to an Justice League movie, yeah? They would surely have to introduce her character to humanity beforehand, otherwise there's that awkward stage where she is till finding herself, in a team movie. She won't get enough spotlight for that, so I would say she needs to be introduced to the modern world in her own movie, but keep it simple.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ArturoCalaKayVee: Really? Well that's a pleasant surprise if I ever heard one.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Raiiyn

@Aiden Cross: I agree, they have worked in the animated ones why not live action?

@lykopis said:

@Raiiyn said:

@Aiden Cross said:

Well -- if they keep it in Ancient Greece -- then Wonder Woman kind of loses her allure. I agree with the focus on her warrior-ness, and yes, based in Thermyscera - but it needs to be in the modern world or the audience will not be interested.

I don't agree with that. They can make it an origin story and end with a cut scene of her just getting to America for the first time. I don't think we actually need to see her walking around town in her costume for the movie to work.

@Hawkeye446: Definitely agree. They can't do a JL until a solo movie is done for all of them.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Raiiyn

@lykopis: Then maybe WW in the modern world won't be so cheesy either? A sequel can have a run in with *shudders with disgust* .. batman *cringe* or other members of the JL? Make the sequel a lead up to a JL movie? =) OO OO OO we can even make Circe the villain in the sequel!! Eek I already like the sequel better then the first one... Why aren't the studios who write DC movies as creative as I am -.- grrrrrrrrr

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Raiiyn

@lykopis:

Remember that. **chases Lyko with hammer**

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Raiiyn

@lykopis:

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Blood1991

How hard could a WW movie be? 300 meets Captain America the first Avenger. You start with some hardcore amazon shiz and go into Wonder Woman bein a bad ass in World War II

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TAneT62

@Blood1991 said:

How hard could a WW movie be? 300 meets Captain America the first Avenger. You start with some hardcore amazon shiz and go into Wonder Woman bein a bad ass in World War II

So true ae. It's just finding the right actress

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By herrweis

its the powers that be not her costume that keeps her out of films.didio or whoever is running dc has seemed to convince people that she wont sell because she is female or not popular enough.which is bulll.she IS the most popular female in comics.she IS one of the most popular comic icons of all time,hands down.every female action flick is already compared to WW without her even having a film.the movie will do well,better that green lantern if one ever gets made just on sheer popularity of the charecter.my nephew may know who green lantern is but my nephew ,mom,grand dad and neice all know who wonder woman is.with films like 300,immortals,gladitor..they can do wonders for the woman.and as far as story lines go,hell just pic up the 1st arc of the perez run.perfect for adaptation

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

@Cirelick:LOL at Hollywood being PC.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By PowerHerc

No, it's not her classic & iconic outfit. If they think it is, they are wrong.

They most likely doubt the character's ability to draw a huge audience to the box office.

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By KenTheProfile

@Captain13: not to sound dickish but you don't know alot about marketing do you?

the costume is a a studios dream. the problem is how can we have a sexy costume but make her a strong woman lead.like it or not sexy costume = you get kidnapped or tied up for a male hero to save at least to mainstream america.

Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

WW is probably the worst character in comic book history (to get right), a super-powered babe with mythological origins, wears a bathing suit, lasso of truth-bondage themes. It's a tough sell, I can think of dozens of characters any exec would rather greenlight than WW.

You don't want to be the guy pitching WW to the execs because you know one of them is going to ask if you have a shrine dedicated to her at home if you sound too positive about her and they will stop listening if you try to relativate it too much ...

Batman sells itself because he's Dark(tm), that's all you need to sell a character these days. You need to make WW rock and roll, you need a ton of gee-wiz Avengers moments, big laughs and payoffs, she has to ooze sexy without being vulgar, she has to be badass without looking butch, she has to be funny without being camp, she has to have convictions built from massively condensed pulsar matter and do the right thing and have people cheer when she does. And on top of all you need an actress with a truckload of charisma and the acting chops to sell you the character in a 30 second teaser.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WDW

@kapitein_zeppos said:

WW is probably the worst character in comic book history (to get right), a super-powered babe with mythological origins, wears a bathing suit, lasso of truth-bondage themes. It's a tough sell, I can think of dozens of characters any exec would rather greenlight than WW.

You don't want to be the guy pitching WW to the execs because you know one of them is going to ask if you have a shrine dedicated to her at home if you sound too positive about her and they will stop listening if you try to relativate it too much ...

Batman sells itself because he's Dark(tm), that's all you need to sell a character these days. You need to make WW rock and roll, you need a ton of gee-wiz Avengers moments, big laughs and payoffs, she has to ooze sexy without being vulgar, she has to be badass without looking butch, she has to be funny without being camp, she has to have convictions built from massively condensed pulsar matter and do the right thing and have people cheer when she does. And on top of all you need an actress with a truckload of charisma and the acting chops to sell you the character in a 30 second teaser.

AWWH come now you have a Super all powerful being SUPERMAN who comes from another planet and can pretty much do anything. His disquise is a simple pair of glasses and nobody can figure out who he is. He is all poweful but chooses to remain and protect only metropolis. Dont get me started on Aquaman Martian Man Hunter and Green Lantern.

LOL no Wonder Woman is really NOT a tough sell SHE is pretty standard Superhero and potentially way more believable then the others. The only problem concerning Wonder Woman is which version of her to use. The Lynda Carter Campy type or the Comicbook Version. That is the ONLY real issue. Most main stream people know of the Lynda Carter TYPE Just like most main stream people knew only of the ADAM WEST Batman before Keton did the movie and he be came what he is today. A Wonder Woman movie could be a hugh hit if done right and her powerset and origin is NOT whats holding her back.

ZEELLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ZEELLO

I don't get Wonder Woman's outfit, so maybe yes. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around her outfit and this maybe even gets in the way of me enjoying her series.

It she a greek god, is she an amazon? What does her star-spangled outfit have to do with either of those? It's not even a cool looking outfit.

Also when I try to imagine a WW movie it seems like she is too strong to make it work. Maybe if it she was severely powered down it could work in a Xena-Warrior-Princess-esque way. In fact it could be an action comedy and her outfit would actually fit somewhat, but it doesn't have to go that route. But maybe changing her outfit is in order.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.