Is WAR Ares?

#1 Posted by bamaboykmb (149 posts) - - Show Bio

In Wonder Woman number zero is that WAR guy ares or some embodiment of war?

#2 Posted by Icarusflies (12491 posts) - - Show Bio

@bamaboykmb: Ares is War.

#3 Posted by telepathic666 (227 posts) - - Show Bio

ares is the embodiment of war.

#4 Posted by brettjett (55 posts) - - Show Bio

War = Ares Love = Aphrodite And the reason why he's wearing a curled horned helmet is becuz in the month of Ares/Mars (March), the Astrology symbol is that of a ram with such curled horns.

#5 Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is implied that they are the same but that War is the evolution of Ares, no longer a young fighter.  

#6 Posted by herrweis (431 posts) - - Show Bio

if i am not mistaken ,the name ares literally translate into meaning war

#7 Posted by bamaboykmb (149 posts) - - Show Bio

see i thought might be War itself not a god of war if you get what i mean

#8 Posted by LeonardDreiberg (41 posts) - - Show Bio

The Greek pantheon were originally manifestations of abstract concepts. Later, they came to be seen as the rulers of those concepts. So mythologically take your pick. In the current Wondie comic I think we're dealing with a little of both. This guy is Ares (we've seen him in earlier issues as a antibellum-style southern gentleman who is sick of his job. Notice that he's trying to make Dianna his protegee?) but absolutely not the pre-52 Ares with the blue armor.

#9 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

Assuming there one and the same I really enjoy his new older man persona, We'll find out for sure this month if they are one and the same though.

#10 Posted by Outside_85 (8777 posts) - - Show Bio

All the Olympian Gods embody something from our world the same way the Endless embody different concepts.

Ares is War

Poseidon is Sea

Eris is Strife

Hades is (by his own account) Hell

And so on.

#11 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#12 Posted by UsagiTsukino (246 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, so is Athena but she is more know for the goddess of wisidom

#13 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

Athena and Ares were sort of twin embodiments of War, Kind of like the Front line general and the tactician.

and technically Poseideon is the God of the Earth, when the three brothers split creation Zeus got the attic, hades got the basement and poseidon got everything in between. He in more classical mythology is know as the God of the Seas and Earthquakes

#14 Edited by lorex (954 posts) - - Show Bio

I have always thought both Athena and Ares to be gods of war but Ares might be the one that embrace the more destructive, violent and carnel nature of war.

#15 Posted by UsagiTsukino (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorex: Yeah, Ares feeds on war,intolerant, and destroy. While she believes if it's the only option to have war

#16 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@MisterKetch said:

Athena and Ares were sort of twin embodiments of War, Kind of like the Front line general and the tactician.

and technically Poseideon is the God of the Earth, when the three brothers split creation Zeus got the attic, hades got the basement and poseidon got everything in between. He in more classical mythology is know as the God of the Seas and Earthquakes

Poseidon is not the God of earth.. after the Titanomachy.. Zeus got the sky, Poseidon the sea and Hades got the underworld..the earth was left as a neutral ground and to be shared by all the brothers.

@bamaboykmb: in the new 52 wonder woman title the gods are sometimes called by their dominions... Demeter has been called Harvest, Artemis and Apollo has been called moon and sun etc... however they have also been called by their traditional names.... also when War/ Ares first appeared with Apollo they called each other brother..so it is fairly obvious that War is Ares.. the names simply being interchanged by Azzarello sometimes ..

#17 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent:

Its mythology so stories get reinterpreted and changed etc etc but traditionally I've always read and understood Poseidon to be the god of the earth I have never read a source in greek mythology that the earth was some sort of neutral ground given the nature of the greek gods that's pretty ridiculous

#18 Posted by Danvidar (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Poseidon was known as the Earth-Shaker since the idea of earthquakes was when Poseidon struck the earth with his trident but he was never granted dominion over the earth itself, wasn't that Gaia's domain?

#19 Posted by Shutdown (96 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Apollo did call War "brother" so logically War must be Ares or on the off chance could be another lesser known God.

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33099 posts) - - Show Bio

@UsagiTsukino said:

@lorex: Yeah, Ares feeds on war,intolerant, and destroy. While she believes if it's the only option to have war

Athena is the god of waging war, Ares is the god of slaughter

#21 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@MisterKetch said:

@cloudzackvincent:

Its mythology so stories get reinterpreted and changed etc etc but traditionally I've always read and understood Poseidon to be the god of the earth I have never read a source in greek mythology that the earth was some sort of neutral ground given the nature of the greek gods that's pretty ridiculous

just google it...it is everywhere... the sons of cronos drew lots to decide their dominions.. zeus got the sky and air, hades the underworld and poseidon the waters....but gaia could not be claimed by anyone. and there are no historical records putting him as the god of earth.. his power to cause earthquakes is attributed to the association between earthquakes and tsunamis in ancient greece....

#22 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent:

That's fine, your entitled to your interpretation of it just as I am mine. You can google Poseidon god of earth and seas as well and come up with sources to support my claim as well. Its ancient mythology passed orally from person to person long before it was ever recorded not a comic with easily traceable and provable origin (the idea of any such religious mythology being provable goes against its fundamental nature after all)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.