Is Johns Wonder Woman ruining her image?

• 117 results
#51 Posted by Jake Fury (18670 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns has been doing this since Infinite Crisis, its nothing new.

#52 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1266 posts) - - Show Bio
#53 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@jake_fury: That dude wanks too much to the silver age to get her

#54 Edited by PowerHerc (84035 posts) - - Show Bio

@tanet62 said:

I personally love the violence, it's refreshing.

Ahhhh . . . . . . , violence . . . .

Refreshing!

I love your statement. :)

#55 Posted by TAneT62 (1060 posts) - - Show Bio
#56 Posted by RayRay1127 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the only remnant of the original Wonder Woman we get to see is written by Johns. Azzarello's WW is a completely new character, but that could just be me.

Definitely just you. Wonder Woman is NOT a violent idiot.

#57 Posted by drgnx (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Johns is ruining Wonder Woman even more than people claim Azzarello is. He's no good at writing the character whatsoever and has turned her into a violent, cold, cruel bloodthirsty caricature of what she should be.

Did you see how she was portrayed in the new animation??? She was worse than ANY bad guy in the comics or the movie..maybe Zoom and Aquaman rival her barely! And her injustice character is the worst of them all...even Superman!

#58 Posted by Lvenger (20008 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

@lvenger said:

Johns is ruining Wonder Woman even more than people claim Azzarello is. He's no good at writing the character whatsoever and has turned her into a violent, cold, cruel bloodthirsty caricature of what she should be.

Did you see how she was portrayed in the new animation??? She was worse than ANY bad guy in the comics or the movie..maybe Zoom and Aquaman rival her barely! And her injustice character is the worst of them all...even Superman!

Yep overly violent and sadistic. That's a far cry from what Wonder Woman should have been like.

#59 Edited by lilben42 (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: I don't care about those because she's supposed to be evil and sadistic.

#60 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

As a fan of DCAU's strong and independent but still compassionate and reasonable wonderwoman, I'm not fond of this new turn at all.

#61 Posted by lilben42 (2544 posts) - - Show Bio
#62 Edited by MaccyD (4076 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns probably writes her like that to contrast her to Superman, otherwise they're pretty similar.

#63 Edited by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: and that's why the Superman Wonder Woman couple fails. Wonder Woman has to suffer character assassination to make the romance work.

#64 Edited by divingfalcon713 (282 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: That's the unfortunate thing about it though. Johns is using her (disrespectfully in my opinion) to make Superman look like this awesome boyfriend who can teach her how to be a good person. He's sacrificing everything that already is good about Wonder Woman to contrast her to Superman.

#65 Edited by drgnx (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42:

I'm looking at the character holistically, many won't differentiate the concept of cannon or multiverse, they just see Wonder Women act a certain way! But I digress anyways, I just wanted to point something out to Lvenger!

#66 Posted by lilben42 (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: That's true. It does make people think a certain way about her.

#67 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

both johns and azzarello take on the character suck.

#68 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (739 posts) - - Show Bio

I've come to the conclusion the Diana I loved is gone forever. She'll never be what she once was because the powers that be see none of the nuances that made her great. That said, I'm enjoying the Trinity War. The art is dope, the story's intriguing and it feels like classic, silver age, JLA.

When you divorce yourself from all you know about Wonder Woman, and think of her as a new character, that's ultra-violent and not very bright, you can see where she's coming from.

She really loves Superman and is desperate to save him at any cost. Unfortunately that cost comes at her expense, because she comes off looking like an irrational, overemotional, bitch on wheels.

The makeup of her team and their reasons for following her were cool though.

#69 Posted by Mr_Zatura (46 posts) - - Show Bio

In one word yes. While I do like the violence I hate that she is depicted as childish and a jerk.

#70 Posted by veronicacris (113 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: That's the unfortunate thing about it though. Johns is using her (disrespectfully in my opinion) to make Superman look like this awesome boyfriend who can teach her how to be a good person. He's sacrificing everything that already is good about Wonder Woman to contrast her to Superman.

Sad that this is happening with WW, making her look bad. Johns is doing a awful job with her characterization

#71 Posted by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

No way between Azarello and Johns this is the most interesting and compelling Ive EVER found Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman has always just bored me. She was always my least favorite character in the event comics I read, I tried reading her solo once and got turned off after like 2 issues, and even in the Justice League cartoon she was my second least favorite character on the team (I only liked her slightly better than John Stewart due to her relationship with Batman). I love the way she has become.

#72 Posted by Knightfall225 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think i have more interest in NEW 52 wonderwoman than any other version of her

#73 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6917 posts) - - Show Bio

fanboys -_-

#74 Posted by Skyfire (752 posts) - - Show Bio

Having her mindlessly attack Hal Jordan like a child throwing a tantrum is a far cry from the the regal, compassionate princess she once was.

#76 Posted by wtk1013 (221 posts) - - Show Bio
#77 Posted by wtk1013 (221 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone think that Donna Troy should have the personality pre-new 52 WW has or this new personality she has?

#78 Posted by PowerWoman (3380 posts) - - Show Bio

Azarello and Johns both suck

Language has been unable to describe How I hate New 52 wonder woman

#80 Edited by PowerWoman (3380 posts) - - Show Bio

1.) Turning the Amazons from shining examples of feminine accomplishment and achievement into man-kiling, baby-trading savage sex-pirates.

2.) Adding a male father(Zeus) to Diana's origin.

3.) Steve Trevor being made too old to be a realistic love interest for Wonder Woman.

4.) Wonder Woman working at Taco World or whatever that fast food joint was called.

5.) Wonder Woman killing Maxwell Lord. While I understand why they had her do it, I think it really tarnished her image as an ambassador of peace.

6.) Depowering Wonder Woman aka the Mod-phase of the 60s/70s.The original removal of her powers and turning her into a kung fu spy type

7.) The Odyssey storyline. All of the hype & fan-eragement for what in the end? Nothing.

8.) Making anyone besides Priscilla Rich the Cheetah. As much as I liked the other Cheetahs, Priscilla just has a certain charm that has never been replaced or surpassed by the other Cheetahs.

9.) Giving Wonder Woman a supporting cast of talking gorillas.

10.) Wonder Woman blinding herself during Rucka's Medusa storyline.

11,) Marginalizing her Supporting cast

Every new creative team that comes on this title feels that they have to throw out the previous supporting cast and make a new one. I think this is the main thing that is keeping Wonder Woman down as a character.

12.)From the very moment of her inception, Wonder Woman was strong enough to match and DEFEAT Heracles, the most powerful hero of antiquity.

You know Heracles, right? The guy who could hold the weight of the heavens on his shoulders for DAYS?

She beat THAT!

She has ALWAYS been superstrong.

The problem is that for decades writers made a continued effort to gloss over this fact by taking her down a peg and downplaying what she could do.

Now this of course if all well and good if you were living in the 50s with the 50s go-to-the-kitchen-wimmin! mentality, but in the XXI century, we expect better.

So, give WW her well deserved props instead of undermining what she's always been.

13,)I don't like the large amount of focus on the public domain Olympians. I read DC Comics to read about DC exclusive characters. I don't mind if public domain characters appear occasionally but Azz's use of the Olympians is too much for me.

14.). I don't like the changes made to Diana's origin & training and to the Amazons. I feel that these changes are too dark, perverse, & sexist for Wonder Woman's world.

15.). Azz is ignoring many of the aspects of Wonder Woman's world that I do enjoy such as Steve, Donna, Artemis, Nubia, Nemesis, Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Poison, Angle Man, the Invisible Jet, and the Diana Prince ID.

16.). The book seems completely disconnected from the rest of the New 52.

17,). The art is too inconsistent and cartoony for my taste even when Chiang draws an entire issue.

18,)Turning Amazon into some sacred community who live in paradise (island). but that the very concept of amazon in wonder woman universe. yes! but the problem i felt is that a paradise only fill by woman? yea... right! a paradise for man who stranded there and become the only man on the island full with beautifull woman, allright. If the concept of paradise and peacefull only come from woman, excluding man, then why should man allow in this universe? cmon. there should be yin and yang. there should be balance. and there should be man and woman to be called paradise.

19.)Making Diana into Godlike. I know that some of the very best wonder woman story is when she has it (Godlike power) and i like it too. But the problem i felt is that if Diana has the Godlike power why she need her magic trinket, amulet, tiara, bracles, lasso, invisible plane, etc. she already can fly, why she need invisible plane. she is invulnerability why she need magic bracelets. etc.

20.) Not building/reimaging her Rogue's Gallery- I believe that Diana has enough villains to contend as serious and interesting threats, but never reach their full potential, because writers refuse to use them and write them properly.

#81 Edited by lilben42 (2544 posts) - - Show Bio
#82 Edited by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#83 Posted by Outside_85 (9039 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerwoman: You are contradicting yourself with point 12) and 19).

#84 Posted by unpopularkarama (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerwoman Ya but now she is an actual character which truth be told DC could do more with their characters instead of archetypes.

#85 Edited by lilben42 (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerwoman: I'm not even going to lie, some of those are really dumb.

#86 Posted by Danieles (124 posts) - - Show Bio

lol, where is that Wonder woman is all about peace, love & Justice: well not much peace & love here, lol This happens because she has no morals. She has no personality, and she has no soul. In this context, wonder woman can turns evil in any time, because she didnt offered yet a moral compromised code. She fights against "Villains" , but , what are her motives? Technically, she is a an ambassador, and any ambassador behaves how she behaves. Im not surprised that she kills/torture men with any remorse or shame.

#87 Posted by darkman61288 (741 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerwoman said "6.) Depowering Wonder Woman aka the Mod-phase of the 60s/70s.The original removal of her powers and turning her into a kung fu spy type"

I think that would be an interesting direction for her today minus the mod part. WW as a female James Bond wouldn't be a bad idea.

#88 Edited by WhineHaus (83 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually pay attention to Wonder Woman now more than I ever have. I personally love Azarello's run with WW. I'm a sucker for Greek mythology, and I think he's doing great.

As for John's, I like the reboot for the most part. I don't necessarily think she's violent so much as she is militant. It makes it more convincing that Diana's from an ancient race of warriors, that she reacts to situations with force and impulse.

A lot of these are personal preferences, but I don't think it's completely out of her character.

#89 Edited by lilben42 (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

@danieles: You should probably read a WW comic before you bash it.

#90 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj: both johns and azzarello suck,they can't writte wonder woman,and who cares if some new people find her interesting now?,she lost her true fanbase because of these writters.

perez-ruka-simone,the only wonder woman runs that made her justice.

#91 Posted by divingfalcon713 (282 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior: We get that you don't like Azzarello's run on the character, but this forum isn't even about his take on Wonder Woman. And frankly, it's a bit insulting for you to say who is or isn't a "true WW fan" just because you disagree with their tastes.

#92 Posted by Danieles (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42 said:

@danieles: You should probably read a WW comic before you bash it.

Because i read it , thats why i can say a word about against. So many times she were fighting, beating males, showing her more masculine strength; not many times i saw showing her feminine side, carrying a baby, concerned about her look/appearance, about how her male colleagues see her, and how she could be a true woman. If ya thinks about she has no freedom of choice: she was raised/educated as a warrior, but she didnt asked for it,, she was sent to Earth as an ambassador of her feminist world, but i never saw her questioning her own motives and why she must be so violent, so cold and so masculine. Also , i never saw more feelings, than pure anger from her.

#93 Posted by divingfalcon713 (282 posts) - - Show Bio

@danieles: While I agree with you that there hasn't really been much of a peaceful Diana in Justice League, I don't really feel like she needs to be concerned about look or appearance. Also, what do you mean by "her more masculine strength"?

#94 Edited by lilben42 (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

@danieles: No I don't think you have read her title. Because I have yet to see anything of what you described in her own titles. You were describing Wonder Woman in the current Justice League. In her own title she cares for the baby alot. She did have a choice, she could have left the island anytime she wanted but she didn't.

#95 Posted by Danieles (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@danieles: While I agree with you that there hasn't really been much of a peaceful Diana in Justice League, I don't really feel like she needs to be concerned about look or appearance. Also, what do you mean by "her more masculine strength"?

When i says that she shows her masculine strenght, i says she shows her masculine strenght: physical upper body strenght are a male quality, in average, men has more upper physical strenght than a female at the same weight, and thats because testosterone: when she shows physycal strenght, she shows testosterone, a male hormone to the public media.

#96 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
#97 Posted by divingfalcon713 (282 posts) - - Show Bio

@danieles: Sure, in real life strong women have more testosterone, but her strength is magical/inherited. If there wasn't anything feminine about her then i could understand, but just because she is strong doesn't mean it's a more masculine quality.

#98 Posted by Danieles (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@danieles: Sure, in real life strong women have more testosterone, but her strength is magical/inherited. If there wasn't anything feminine about her then i could understand, but just because she is strong doesn't mean it's a more masculine quality.

Please tell me if the wonder woman showed here looks feminine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Nf-m6WGl4

#99 Posted by divingfalcon713 (282 posts) - - Show Bio

@danieles: I do think that she looks feminine in that trailer. Just because she's a good fighter/has super strength doesn't make her masculine.

#100 Edited by Danieles (124 posts) - - Show Bio

"Just because she's a good fighter/has super strength doesn't make her masculine." No, only she misses a pennis for to achieves that. You must understands about visual metaphors diving, when she behaves like a man, thats when i say a word against, after , she's suppose to be a woman, and an inspiration for girls. You guys are used to see powerful females in fiction, because fiction can make that possible, but upper physical strenght are a male attribute.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.