Is Johns Wonder Woman ruining her image?

• 117 results
#1 Posted by lilben42 (2494 posts) - - Show Bio

I've had a few people lately call Wonder Woman a jerk and say she is violent. I noticed that everyone who says that just reads Johns version of her in Justice League. It's a real big turn off to the character. Anybody else see this?

#2 Posted by TAneT62 (1057 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally love the violence, it's refreshing.

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32627 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns is not good at writing the character

#4 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1188 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: John Constantine and Phantom Stranger both deserve what wonder woman did to them it not like there the most trusted person in the world

#5 Posted by Akindoodle (972 posts) - - Show Bio

@tanet62: But it could be made logical or at least partly justified, Johns does not do either. It's mostly irrational, almost hormonal lashing out

#6 Edited by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

WW is the new Hawkman or Wolverine for the JLA.

So, who does that leave to be the warm, compassionate new WW?

#7 Posted by darkman61288 (718 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns turned WW into a stereotype of herself. This how people who don't know about her would say she acts.

#8 Posted by Lvenger (18226 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns is ruining Wonder Woman even more than people claim Azzarello is. He's no good at writing the character whatsoever and has turned her into a violent, cold, cruel bloodthirsty caricature of what she should be.

#9 Edited by Outside_85 (8075 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly I noticed this with issue 1 of JL, even if she didnt get into a fight, going through a wall, shouting at a TV and waving a sword around as she walks down the sidewalk told me Johns Wonder Woman wasnt going to be terribly clever, and apparently quite violent judging by both Steve's and the protestors comments.

#10 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if she's still the icon of truth and peace that she was pre-52....but yeah, Johns' incarnation of the character is ugh....nearly as bad as him writing Hal or Bruce in the JL, really.

#11 Posted by BloodTalon (430 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the way she is written I am sorry you all are unhappy about it.

and on a side note I think she should hang with Hawkman more, kicking ass and taking names.

#12 Posted by Outside_85 (8075 posts) - - Show Bio

@bloodtalon said:

I like the way she is written I am sorry you all are unhappy about it.

and on a side note I think she should hang with Hawkman more, kicking ass and taking names.

Unfortunately she already has Orion to deal with... now Hawkcaveman, Orion and the other Hawk-dude should have a night on the town, that could be fun... just not for the town.

#13 Posted by BloodTalon (430 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: hell ya that's what I am talking about it would be fun.

#14 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he is, this at his stage when you realize Johnhas lost steam and has become the DC version of Bendis.

#15 Posted by RustyRoy (10822 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6088 posts) - - Show Bio

Can any Wonder Woman fans tell me if they liked how she was written in Batwoman?

I thought she seemed like a decent character in that, but as I'm not yet a Wonder Woman fan/reader, I don't know how 'correct' it was.

#17 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by Al_capOWN (530 posts) - - Show Bio

Is time to go from PG-13 to R, old DC was too soft....just like marvel.

#19 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the only way to be a woman in the JL is to a bitch?

Biggest disappointment is that this WW has no real goal or ideals. You could replace her easily with the Hulk or Lobo. This is not a step up. As I have said before, wonder if those who love this take on her EVER liked her at all before New 52. Definitely, not for everyone. And this is not the sign of a writer having a good grasp of a major icon.

#21 Edited by divingfalcon713 (282 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the way Johns writes her at all. She seems to have three aspects to her in Justice League: she likes to fight things, she's Superman's girlfriend, and she has no idea how the world works. It upsets me that he's turned her into a stereotypical "warrior woman" when she is so much more.

#22 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

In Johns defense he's hardly the first writer to portray WW as violent. Seems to be a thing that pops up in a lot of JL related stuff for whatever reason. Heck, it's prominent enough that they went with it for her failed TV show.

#23 Posted by lilben42 (2494 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns can't write Wonder Woman and doesn't know what to do with her and with that he is ruining her.

#25 Edited by PowerWoman (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

Art is Impressive though,that much better than Azzarello ruining

#26 Posted by starrk_coyote (620 posts) - - Show Bio

@tanet62 said:

I personally love the violence, it's refreshing.

true! i am 100% behind this sentence. and here is why, i like a WW that does not back off that is Unrelenting in her Pursuit of truth.sometimes you just have to (pun is fully intentional) chock a b***** :D

#27 Edited by lilben42 (2494 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerwoman: Alot of people hated that art for some reason. I loved it.

#28 Edited by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

The above scene has been known to cause various levels of mental retardation, due to the utter incompetence needed to write such moronics.

#29 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1188 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: i did say john and phantom stranger Hephaestus on the other hand i dont know i heard people are enjoying this side wonder woman

#30 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (921 posts) - - Show Bio

i liked her in jl animated series... now i have no care for her character. Shazam's where it's at babyyyyy X3

#31 Posted by lilben42 (2494 posts) - - Show Bio

@darknightspideyfanboy: Yeah I hadn't read the JL Dark issue so I can't comment on those. Maybe they want to see a new side to her?

#32 Posted by divingfalcon713 (282 posts) - - Show Bio

@starrk_coyote: I feel like the violent outburst here was completely unnecessary. She's already attacked Hephaestus over a misunderstanding in her own book, and she felt bad for that. I really don't understand why she would do it again, especially since he aided her and all she had to do was ask him about the box. None of this hit first, ask questions later junk.

#33 Posted by starrk_coyote (620 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1188 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: you mean kicking ass taking name side of her yes i think people enjoying that side

#35 Edited by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

That above scene is such terrible writing

#36 Edited by lilben42 (2494 posts) - - Show Bio

@divingfalcon713: I personally think Johns read Azzarello's book and saw the scene when she kicked Hephaestus and misunderstood it.

#37 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow never thought I would see the day when Wonder Woman's intelligence makes Rhino look like Reed Richards. Who knew being born from Zeus loin would decrease her intellect ten fold.

#38 Posted by divingfalcon713 (282 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya: It has nothing to do with Zeus. Johns writes her differently than Azzarello does.

#39 Posted by deaditegonzo (3624 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the only remnant of the original Wonder Woman we get to see is written by Johns. Azzarello's WW is a completely new character, but that could just be me.

#40 Edited by Nerd Of A Hero (815 posts) - - Show Bio

A quote from Linkara in AT4W Amazons Attack prologue: "Geoff Johns can not write wonder woman to save his life."

#41 Edited by PowerWoman (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

Brian Azzarello simply does not write Wonder Woman as a "fighty, smashy" comic. Despite it being the best run since Rucka and the best selling WW line since...ever...one major flaw of the book is failing to display Wonder Woman's power levels. It's not a traditional superhero book. It's more in line with Fables or Sandman.

There a few to no feats of power in the book. Which is fine because the awesome story makes up for it.

#42 Posted by jphulk26 (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: Yep, I think she appalling in Johns, but also just plain ridiculous in Azzerrelo. She´s supposed to be a symbol of peace. People need to stop writing whats in, this whole dark Batman/Wolverine/Iron Man craze. There is place in the world for people who are plain heroes, and thats what WW symbolizes to me. Not some jerk who brags about snuffing out her enemies like shes some mob boss above the law. They are ruining her legacy, its kind of getting disgusting.

#43 Edited by lilben42 (2494 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: Eh.. Azzarello makes her have pretty much the same personality as before. But everything else is different so I could see why it would be a problem for some people.

#44 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1188 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: at the moment im praying Azzarello make her the god of war kicking ass and taking name that what i want in my female hero

#45 Posted by lilben42 (2494 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1188 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: here is how i picture her to be wonder woman god of war MAKE IT HAPPEN DC

#47 Edited by lilben42 (2494 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1188 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: LOL it was the best picture i could find where she look badass

#49 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@darknightspideyfanboy: ... Yeah no thanks. But if you want something similar to that go read an indie book featuring a kill crazy amazon god of war. That or read her "Ame Comi" version where she's depicted as a God of WSr that you want.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.