Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8717 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Is a Wonder Woman movie really that hard to make ?

linkjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By linkjt

@entropy_aegis: yes doomsday is not different from all the "unstoppable monsters" created to be a hero's nemessis,do you think his concept was not done before?,you can find the same theme in many other stories out there that came before doomsday.

i already said why cheetah is a good villan,

her ambitions as an archaeologist mad her go in search of an ancient power,her viosion of the world is that humans must be tamed to prevent them from killng each other and destroying everything,and because of this she lives for the code that the goal justifies the means,cheetah is everything that wonder woman stands against,cheetah is a killer,she loves to kill,she is selfish,she hates society and she has contempt for life,all the oppiste to diana,the reason why cheetah is a great villan because she is the antithesis of wonder woman,wonder woman represents the truth,the hearth and soul,love,kindess,understanding,no prejudice,cheetah is insane and hates society while wonder woman wants to help it,cheetah wants to destroy it because she has no hope in humanity while wonder woman has hope in it,cheetah thinks that the world is just for the powerful ones.

and then we have circe,she is an extremely powerful sorceress that hate the amazons and want revenge against the goddesses,she has great plot potential for a movie.

thern we have silver swan,her insecurities and manipulable mind are the result of her facial disfigurements,this made her the perfect test subject for experiments,experiments that turned her into silver swan,and her insecurities make her a puppet of a man she thinks he loves her,he uses her to accomplish his goals and puts her against wonder woman.

linkjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: don't make the amazons the souls of killed women if you don't want to,but WW was the soul of an unborn child brought to life by gods during the whole post crisis era and i think that should remain her origin.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@linkjt said:

@entropy_aegis: yes doomsday is no t different from all the "unstoppable monsters" created to be a hero's nemessis,do you think his concept was not done before?,you can find the same theme in many other stories out there that came before doomsday.

i already said why cheetah is a good villan,

her ambitions as an archaeologist mad her go in search of an ancient power,her viosion of the world is that humans must be tamed to prevent them from killng each other and destroying everything,and because of this she lives for the code that the goal justifies the means,cheetah is everything that wonder woman stands against,cheetah is a killer,she loves to kill,she is selfish,she hates society and she has contempt for life,all the oppiste to diana,the reason why cheetah is a great villan because she is the antithesis of wonder woman,wonder woman represents the truth,the hearth and soul,love,kindess,understanding,no prejudice,cheetah is insane and hates society while wonder woman wants to help it,cheetah wants to destroy it because she has no hope in humanity while wonder woman has hope in it,cheetah thinks that the world is just for the powerful ones.

and then we have circe,she is an extremely powerful sorceress that hate the amazons and want revenge against the goddesses,she has great plot potential for a movie.

thern we have silver swan,her insecurities and manipulable mind are the result of her facial disfigurements,this made her the perfect test subject for experiments,experiments that turned her into silver swan,and her insecurities make her a puppet of a man she thinks he loves her,he uses her to accomplish his goals and puts her against wonder woman.

There's a difference between a character and concept,Doomsday the character may be a ripoff(probably of Abomination or Hulk) but he's not a Greek monster ripoff as you just brazenly declared. Applying the concept behind Doomsday doesn't mean his creators ripped off something,by that token everything is a ripoff.

Your post on Cheetah just screams villains 101.

linkjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: my post on cheetah is accurate and proves she is a good villan for wonder woman,if you want so much more originality for villans don't expect it from comics because most of them are anything but original,not that i think is a bad thing,but it's obious originality is not the most common thing among comics,it is certanly not the main reason why anybody would enjoy them,so let's look at things in perspective please.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis - We´ve already established and admitted ww villains haven´t been used properly. Not even Ares. Clearly we are talking about the potential of the characters. Are they inherently bad? I think you´re having a different conversation. I´m talking potential to be good, reused or retconned in much the same way Shazams villians like Mr. Mind have recently been retconned. All comic villains at one point or another have been retconned and most villains in comics back story is always changing depending on the story the writer is telling. When Doomsday first appeared in Death Of Superman, he had no back story. No one knew anything about him. he just started killing everyone and everything. He´s since been made more interesting by writers revisiting him.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No reply.

linkjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

No reply.

i guess you won the argument.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#158  Edited By Black_Claw
    No Caption Provided

Long story short, it's just simply nothing but complete and utter cowardice on WB's part.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

For us (comic) readers we can certainly point out the details of Wonder Woman, her physical appearance to be exact and the actresses who are perfectly fit for the role so we can presume that it's not as difficult as it would be. But for the Filmmakers it was a tough work. As far as I've known throughout the Film/Movie Industry, post-Man of Steel, Joss Whedon attempted to do a Wonder Woman movie. He thought to himself that it is now time for WW to have justice into the field of Movie but Warner Bros. turned him down. Now Whedon signed to Marvel and made The Avengers put into the spotlight, he admitted to himself that it would've worked but the chances WB giving is very thin and do not trust him that it would do excellent. It's like Whedon's vision is quite difficult or imperceptive to WB. Well, for some reasons maybe it wasn't just the right time for WW to be in the spotlight, though most of us wish that they do the project to actualization. I just hope that whenever they try to plan the movie, I hope they make sure that only a little percent of alterations are to be made because I don't really like what happened in the Green Lantern. For me, it's a yes and a no. Yes it's easy to do the filming, the casting, the production. And no, it's not easy too because of the plot they should follow, the ending that will bedazzle the people that would make us beg them for another one. :)

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblondegod: If I remember correctly when Joss actually came out with why his movie would have been about it actually sounded pretty bad. Also I personally think Gal Gadot is a much better casting choice then Cobie Smulders.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@muffin_sangria: I think Gal Gadot is alright for me too, no worries. I just hope (whoever director lands the project) they would do really good and follow her origin story. It's okay for attempting to make one. :)

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#163  Edited By Cloakx14

Alexandria Daddario to me has the face for Wonder Woman

No Caption Provided

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblondegod: I wish there had been a major motion picture of Wonder Woman back in like the 80's or 90's even if it had sucked. It would put a lot less pressure on the project now. I still think WB are idiots if they don't put out a Wonder Woman movie before Justice League. It's the perfect timing for it. Depending on how the cameo is handled people should be very exited and curious about Wonder Woman. If they wait till after Justice League all that excitement will be watered down by the other heroes. Plus Wonder Woman is such a complex character that if you don't take time to explore her in a solo him I feel like all the excitement and curiosity will turn to confusion and frustration after Justice League.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linkjt: That's actually a pretty good argument for Cheetah. I never considered her that much of an option for a "main villain" in a movie but the with the way you talk about her she might. I still think Ares is the right choice for Wonder Woman's first solo movie. He's got the name recognition and can offer a battle that's on the same scale as Man of Steel. Cheetah could work for the more cerebral sequel though.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@degraaf: I don't see why it shouldn't be a little bit of both. Diana's origin is mixed up with the history of the Amazons so some 3000 year old back story about Hippolyta will need to be covered. I even like the idea of the movie uncovering the New 52 deception of Hippolyta, maybe just show that Hippolyta and Zeus had their affair, and show us how they conspired to keep Diana alive by creating the "made of clay" myth to fool Hera (and the other gods). That could even lead to some of Diana's powers being actually given as blessings to her by some of the gods after her birth (i.e. Aphrodite blesses her with beauty, Athena with wisdom, Diana with the sight of a hunter etc...). Then cut to modern day Steve Trevor storyline throwing her into the craziness of American city life and cap it off with an epic battle with the Cheetah (who has been on a killing spree throughout the movie) who, as always, wants the Lasso ... sets it up for sequels where various gods get pissed that they were deceived and take it out on Diana.

linkjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

no,it's not impossible to have a good scrip and good actors,and even bad crips and actors score hits,nothing is impposible and making a wonder woman movie is not as hard as some people think.

linkjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linkjt: That's actually a pretty good argument for Cheetah. I never considered her that much of an option for a "main villain" in a movie but the with the way you talk about her she might. I still think Ares is the right choice for Wonder Woman's first solo movie. He's got the name recognition and can offer a battle that's on the same scale as Man of Steel. Cheetah could work for the more cerebral sequel though.

thank you.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Bsaa

If you have to change Cheetah A LITTLE, here you go. And keep in mind that some of this is kinda based off of Perez and New 52. Cheetah: After becoming ambassador of Themyscira, Diana is introduced to British archaeologist Barbara Minerva, heir to a long line of historical aristocrats. Minerva begins to travel with Diana, assisting her and Steve on missions. Despite their shared interest in historical artifacts, it soon becomes clear that Barbara is far different from Diana. Unlike Diana, Barbara is selfish and hedonistic, and constantly berates "lesser" people such as the poor for "never learning" and "acting like godless beasts". Barbara states that Diana is too nice to the incorrigible masses, and that if Barbara had the same power, she would punish those "holding society back" as an example of peace through fear. Soon, she and Diana have a falling out, which solidifies itself when Diana discovers that the Minervas, including Barbara, aren't archaeologists, but murderous grave robbers. Removed of her fortune and the scorn of rival families, Barbara and her servant Chuma escape to Chuma's home village in Kenya. There, they find the shrine of Urtzkartaga, an African nature god that supposedly gives powers based around its patron animal, the cheetah. Undergoing the ritual, Barbara soon finds out that these gifts are not blessings, but curses. She is given a bestial form resembling a humanoid version of the animal from which she is named, and is also given strength at the level of Diana's and even greater speed. She is also given an uncontrollable bloodlust, which she first targets against those that have take her family fortune. Having heard of the attacks, Diana goes to investigate to see if her former friend is alright. Soon, however, she and Steve are attacked by Barbara in her new form.

A villain who sees the treasures of the world as her toys and sees the people of the world as retarded children. Apparently you think that's bad, but a tragic mulatto who takes over Asgard........cuz he can, is great writing.

linkjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JetiiMitra:making a movie is always a risk,WW is not a bigger risk than doing thor or other movies based on mythology,because the main problem is to have the right scrip,the character has enough history to know what is core of her character,what she is all about,what she stands for and she has villans with enough story to work with.

it's not hard,ares is the pefect villan for a first movie,with the right scrip and actress there is nothing to worry about because ares is all that they need for a first WW movie,then we have other characters that have all they need to be great villans for movies.

an archaeologist finding paradise island,her ambitions makes her get coursed by a holy weapon and becomes cheetah,now the most powerful amazon must go the the mortal world and stop her before her insanity contaminates every human.

or circe,she can be the one that seal the gods away and steal their powers,now wonder woman must go to the outside world and find a way to restore the balance.

the posibilities in terms of plots are overwhelming,she is adaptable for sure.

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Valdemocnij

Its hard to make, just because actress who will play her... If they will use someone who have face to play Diana, then will don't have right body type... fans will say, its not right WW... if they use right body type, but... mmm...emmm.. not sth special in face, then will fans say... hey... how that actress can play WW :)

Gal Gadot dont have right body type for WW, face.. hm not so bad... Peoples like Gina Carano to see like WW - she have body for WW, maybe and face, but... her acting... its to low for WW role, she almost constantly laugh in her acting, and i dont know why she doing that...

The point is... you can't have all what you need in one packet, face, body, acting...

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41:

Anyway its just my opinion for WW movie.... :)

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#177 frozen  Moderator
    Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flippin eck, WB get Godzilla out before Wonder Woman and announce a sequel..

I mean how hard is it to do a WW film. Only last week I watched again the Clash of the Titans film, Q Zeus, Hades and co, then Percy Jackson, Q loads more Greek Gods. Both films did well...surely a WW film based in Greek Mythology would do well....

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By modernww2fare

This chick looks way more like Wonder Woman than Gal does:

No Caption Provided

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

she is SEXY

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

I've been thinking about it and if DC did come out with a Wonder Woman movie between BMxSM and Justice League that this would be the best thing to base it on.

No Caption Provided

Basic plot is that Ares is trying to start a war between the Amazons and the Atlantians, and it's up to Wonder Woman to stop him. It could be epic on the same scale as Man of Steel while isolated enough that it would explain why Superman and Batman aren't getting involved (Because they shouldn't be in her solo movie). While giving her an opportunity to kick some ass she would also get to show off her compassion and diplomatic chops. And it also helps build towards Justice League by introducing Aquaman in what I'd consider the best way possible.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ganon15 said:

@modernww2fare said:

No Caption Provided

she is SEXY

i agree.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14 said:

@ganon15 said:

@modernww2fare said:

No Caption Provided

she is SEXY

i agree.

You all must be spending too much time looking at her cleavage cause this girl doesn't look anywhere near as good as Diana when compared to the way Gal Gadot is going to look in the role.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By ganon15

@muffin_sangria said:

@cloakx14 said:

@ganon15 said:

@modernww2fare said:

No Caption Provided

she is SEXY

i agree.

You all must be spending too much time looking at her cleavage cause this girl doesn't look anywhere near as good as Diana when compared to the way Gal Gadot is going to look in the role.

Gal still looks like a pencil to me:

No Caption Provided

(this recent image is from her Facebook page)

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zack snyder is still f-ing this up.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15 said:

@muffin_sangria said:

@cloakx14 said:

@ganon15 said:

@modernww2fare said:

No Caption Provided

she is SEXY

i agree.

Gal still looks like a pencil to me:

No Caption Provided

(this recent image is from her Facebook page)

LOL

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

I mean how hard is it to do a WW film. Only last week I watched again the Clash of the Titans film, Q Zeus, Hades and co, then Percy Jackson, Q loads more Greek Gods. Both films did well...surely a WW film based in Greek Mythology would do well....

Godzilla is a proven franchise,WW is not. It IS very hard to do a WW movie,the only ones who dont realize that are hardcore comic book fans. Greek mythology isn't the problem,nor is her being a woman,the problem is what the heck does she stand for? what's her purpose? fans and writers cant even agree on basic characteristics that define her. They've tried everything from secret agent to ambassador to warrior and nothing worked.

The GA audience isn't gonna flock to the theaters to see WW simply cause it's WW,her iconic status is meaningless to the box office and in many ways is actually the real reason why she hasn't gotten a movie in the first place.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@bezza said:

Godzilla is a proven franchise,WW is not. It IS very hard to do a WW movie,the only ones who dont realize that are hardcore comic book fans. Greek mythology isn't the problem,nor is her being a woman,the problem is what the heck does she stand for? what's her purpose? fans and writers cant even agree on basic characteristics that define her. They've tried everything from secret agent to ambassador to warrior and nothing worked.

The GA audience isn't gonna flock to the theaters to see WW simply cause it's WW,her iconic status is meaningless to the box office and in many ways is actually the real reason why she hasn't gotten a movie in the first place.

WW's life is complex,she is princess,a warrior,an ambassador,a hero and on top of it all a woman,with this she is every woman,teaching girls they can be anything they want if they put their mind to it,so yes There is something definitive about WW's character,she's compassionate to those in need,empowering women and girls alike that they are more than what they are and can be better,despite her situations with her mother and the amazons she was able to be a diplomat for Themyscria while at the same time be a heroine,she's the "spirit of truth" when it comes to the mythos of the character and is the "wise yet caring older sister" point of view to man's powerful demeanor.

Complexity or cliches? she didn't go through all that organically.It was the result of one failed angle after another. The rest as usual can be applied to any .character

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis:

All good points...even her fans cant agree what she should be, what power level she should be and what she stands for!

kasino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yea its all based on her outfit. cut screens to themyscira shows she wears this outfit for zero reason. the outfit is pretty skimpy and if classed up it could be a failure as well. she doesn't need the invisible plane or lasso(well of truth). the bracelets might be useless as well. But it all centers around the outfit. she, more then anyone, relies on her look. WW in street clothes work. maybe a roman/Xena like outfit with a sword(which we seen) could work if she immediately gets to our "world" and starts hero'ing. but her picking out or given this special corset/panties combo will fail. I think that was a major problem in the remake tv show they tried and probably why WW re-runs don't air.

WW as a visceral character works well on screen(well as a real person). how Kiera Knightly did as Guinevere in the 04 King Arthur

http://www.tencentticker.com/projectrooftop/2011/04/04/kris-ankas-wonder-woman/ this would be absolutely perfect

Cliff Chiang had a WW that would fine on screen as warrior woman and not just a supermodel with lingerie with super powers.

kasino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: your saying things I didn't disagree with and for the most part supporting why the outfit of a empowering female role model shouldn't be in a corset(that stays up for no reason) and starry panties for her theatrical debut. Yes 99% of characters in general rely on their looks. for females it might be all of them. over sexualized characters in action movies as main characters traditionally haven't done well. Alice/Trinity/Guinevere/Sarah Conner/The Bride/Ripley/Selene all played by beautiful women and have moments of femininity but all were warriors(in the sense of bravery and skill) more then leather clad woman waiting for an explosion that leaves titty meat showing.

gonzzCABJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a hell lotta rumours coming and going. So I think a WW is probably finally going to happen, just after Justice League (which would give her a proper boost). And I don't think is THAT hard to make. It's kinda as always: whoever makes it happen, just needs to have a good grip at the source material.

mistrx75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't think so. Then again, after Green Lantern, I'm not sure what they would consider to be good enough for release.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By ganon15

She still looks like a twig:

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.