Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8717 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Is a Wonder Woman movie really that hard to make ?

90mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The way this movie is being completely avoided lol, It got me thinking.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depends. there are certainly some challenges. Mainly being DC has not put out a good origin story for her for ages that would suit modern tastes. Since Screen Writers, rarely have any ideas of there own, they find it very difficult to come up with there own original story. Look at Batman Begins and Man Of Steel, really they are just composites of various Superman and Batman stories collected together.

Apart from that I´d say the other major challenge is being a fan. The Batman movies are so good because they were made by fans, As was the Donner movie, I think the same could be said 2009 animated WW film. Personally I´d find writing a Batman story alot more difficult than WW, because the themes running through Batman are alot less interesting to me. I think I´d find wrtiting Superman or WW alot easier, yet challenging, because of the scope of their mythos.

One last thing that is difficult about adapting WW and Superman to screen is how vast their origin is. Supermans origin starts from him being a babe, then growing up in Smallville, then moving to metropolis and working at daily planet. then becoming superman. then finally fighting the bad guy.

WW is even longer... Great origin... Epic even... But it starts before she was born. Her mother battling Hercules or kidnapped by him. The Amazons escaping. The Gods giving them Themyscira. Diana being born. Diana growing up. Steve Trevor Landing. The tournament to take steve back. Discovering Mans world and then finally fighting the badguy. Thats alot to put in one film. However the story is great, so I´d say just make a really epic movie. Like a 2-hour movie. Since most people don´t even know her origin, it could be made quite exciting if done right. It won´t be like Batman where we´ve sat through this origin told 1 million times. I think people will actually dig WW origin if done properly.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No, it's just excuses. They know people want to see it but no one has the balls to try.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jphulk26

@bruxae - To be fair to WBs, I don´t think thats all true. I´ve read quite a few WW screenplays and most to a large degree have been bad or missed the mark. But then again I really wish they had have improved the 2009 animated film a bit and used that as the foundation of a WW film. It has great structure, great humor, Ares is cool (Could be better, even more sinister). Its problems were too much emphasis on Amazons Man Hating and being too short and not enough real development of WW. I think she should have been wiser, a bit sweeter, and niave about mans world rather than seemly angry at men... I would have preferred them adding her mission of Peace as well, Rather than emphasising her being against men. Interesting exploration, but to me WW is so much more than that. More like how she was in the 70s show in away. It was good for what it was and enjoyable. I don´t understand people who say it wasn´t a fun movie, but It could have been alot better, with slight adjustments and made an excellent film.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@bruxae said:

No, it's just excuses. They know people want to see it but no one has the balls to try.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@bruxae said:

Yup

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Maybe they've decided other heroes are more profitable movie wise than Wonder Woman?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Marvel can make a successful Thor movie, DC should be able to make a Wondy movie. I think the major block is not the mythos or the character herself, it is the fear Hollywood has of deviating from the standard white male-led action movie formula (I don't think it is sexism per se, but more of a financially motivated ignorance)

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

It's not so much that it's hard to make as it is that it has no real reason to happen other than the character being iconic. WB should put their money on a Catwoman or Zatanna movie.

@wolverine08: Like Metal Men.....

A Metal Men film that understands the huge appeal those characters could have for child audiences and spins its story accordingly has a decent chance of making roughly eleventy billion dollars.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@jonny_anonymous: Yes just excuses.

@wolverine08: Well Thor made lot of money even thought they just recycle the first movie and was filled with plot holes. With all new movies of Hercules coming out, Wonder Woman could have a chance of being done and show a diferent Myth hero.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: I highly doubt that movie will be aimed at kids

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Metal Men actually has a reason to be made. It can get out a small comic property to the public. What reason is there for a Wonder Woman movie? Just because she's iconic? If that's the only reason, WB is better served making a Metal Man movie.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Its harder than blind fanboys have you believe, but not as impossible as WB is trying to make it to be.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: I highly doubt that movie will be aimed at kids

It will probably be a kid-friendly movie for all audiences in the vein of the sort of thing Pixar puts out. The Metal Menare an unabashedly 60's group, and they've more or less retained that vibe throughout the years. The current incarnation of the Metal Men is almost certainly designed to be a model for the movie, and they're still very kid-friendly. It's not really a coincidence that WB announces Shazam and Metal Men movies right after Geoff Johns, the man overseeing the cross-connectivity of all the DC movie properties, reintroduces both to the DCnU. I'm honestly more interested in that movie than I would be in a WW movie.

mtrakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Merchandise. Not a lot of young boys are going to want a lasso of truth when they could have hulk hands instead. A JLA shirt or a WW shirt? Most comic fans are males. Most males don't want to watch a 2 hour movie about a Greek warrior who isn't getting naked.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I could do it. Give me a grew, and I will make a low quality WW movie.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: How's that going to work in the same universe as MoS?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What does being in the same universe as MoS have to do with anything? I'm not anticipating Metal Men/Justice League cinematic crossovers anytime soon. They're free to do their own thing.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Yea but they'll still have an overall similar tone, if anything Metal Men will be more like Transformers but with Robocop sized robots.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@saren said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

What does being in the same universe as MoS have to do with anything? I'm not anticipating Metal Men/Justice League cinematic crossovers anytime soon. They're free to do their own thing.

WB even said not all of their movies are going to be in the same continuity.

Fables also doesn't belong in the JLA universe.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Yea but they'll still have an overall similar tone, if anything Metal Men will be more like Transformers but with Robocop sized robots.

You know, it always surprises me that with all the precognition that abounds on comic book sites, people choose to spend their time here instead of making a killing on the stock market.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If a Wonder Woman movie was made would you rather it be set similar to 300, clash of the Titans, and gladiator or would you rather it be set in modern times?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Pretty much common sense when you think about it. Why go to all the trouble of making a shared universe if you make the tones so different that they can't actually cross over?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

What's up with all the Metal Men bashing? I was never a fan myself but one cant deny that these characters would have a much easier time finding a target audience than WW.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Pretty much common sense when you think about it. Why go to all the trouble of making a shared universe if you make the tones so different that they can't actually cross over?

Yes, I mean, it's not like they're adapted from a medium with wildly different tones that still crossover all the time. You've got nine films currently in development, 7 of which are supposed to be set in the DC cinematic universe. Now if we're talking the general tone of that universe, is a sample set of one supposed to be a good indication? Or, again, is this just more precognition at work?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's up with all the Metal Men bashing? I was never a fan myself but one cant deny that these characters would have a much easier time finding a target audience than WW.

Them getting a movie before Wonder Woman is some kind of transgression against all that is holy, apparently. There'd be zero bashing if WB had announced a WW movie. I find it funny that none of the bashing has to do with the Metal Men as characters. It seems they just don't deserve to get there first.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@saren said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yes, I mean, it's not like they're adapted from a medium with wildly different tones that still crossover all the time. You've got nine films currently in development, 7 of which are supposed to be set in the DC cinematic universe. Now if we're talking the general tone of that universe, is a sample set of one supposed to be a good indication? Or, again, is this just more precognition at work?

You know as well as I do that what works in a comic doesn't always work in film. You really think that Batman Vs Superman is going to much more family oriented? Anyway this is getting off topic.

KingKrabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KingKrabb

I think someone nailed it before when they mentioned the extensiveness of her mythos. Even though we've got something similar in Superman, it's a theme that's been explored much more. It's much more familiar to the common public.

A lot of audiences (because keep in mind that while producers want to make a movie to please comic book fans, it's always gonna be tailored towards the general public) have NO idea how Wonder Woman came to be, who Diana is or even what she's capable of doing. They'd have a monster 2-1/2 or 3 hour movie on their hands.

Can it be done? Absolutely. It would just need a great script. You could get a lot out of the way with an introductory narrative. And then get to the meat of things sooner. As long as this is done with good pacing, and give the story time for character development, it can turn out fantastically.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Saren

@saren said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

You know as well as I do that what works in a comic doesn't always work in film. You really think that Batman Vs Superman is going to much more family oriented? Anyway this is getting off topic.

I think when a studio wants to build an interconnected universe, they try to learn from their early mistakes seeing as they have billions on the line. You really think Warner Bros. doesn't know there was criticism of MoS' tone, or that they think everything's just hunky-dory and can proceed as planned?

It was off-topic from the minute the Metal Men were even mentioned. They don't have anything to do with why a Wonder Woman movie isn't in development. She's not on the agenda because of the baggage her iconhood brings to the table. Regardless of what her character actually has to bring to the screen, her fans expect a movie with her in it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread because she's an icon and that's what icons deserve. If Marvel made a Black Widow movie that bombed on every level, no one would care. She's not that big a deal anyway. Wonder Woman is different. It would be very easy for them to make a mediocre Wonder Woman movie, but they'd never live it down. There are a bunch of secondary concerns like her relative dearth of decent stories or characterization, but that's likely the biggest "fear" for WB.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By frozen  Moderator

On the topic of Shazam (as he's pared with the Metal Men for getting a movie) --- Shazam deserves a movie. DC have pushed him around for years until Johns' and a few great stories inbetween (Kingdom Come, etc). Metal Men is a great way for DC to expand their audience.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@saren: I was under the impression that Shazam would be in the MOS universe, and Metal Men for the matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bruxae said:

Best answer.

linkjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By linkjt

@saren said:

It's not so much that it's hard to make as it is that it has no real reason to happen other than the character being iconic. WB should put their money on a Catwoman or Zatanna movie.

@jonny_anonymous said:

A Metal Men film that understands the huge appeal those characters could have for child audiences and spins its story accordingly has a decent chance of making roughly eleventy billion dollars.

there is no reason for that movie to happen?,the reason is always the same,the posibility to make money,that is why even D-list characters like elektra and blade had movies,shazam or zatana don't have more reasons to happen than WW,on the contrary WW has more reasons for being the female hero par excellence,they already gave catwoman a chance and catwoman is also an icon,the most famous female villan in comics and they weren't afraid of trying,they also have had some bad expriences at the box office with superman and they didn't stop trying,on the contrary,they are still trying to establish him for once and for all on the big screen,sooner or later they will give WW a chance,and considering that she is the one that brought the mythological theme to the mainstream audience,before kratos,xena,clash of the titants,marvel thor,etc,she has a really good chance to score a hit movie.

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 2

No, not really. There's some hiccup's here and there and finding someone that knows and understands the characterization of her unlike that guy who did that pilot episode back in 2011, but it's shouldn't be that complicated to do a WW movie. But still, WB would have a whole lot to lose at this point, especially since they're trying to catch up will Marvel on the movies, and would probably never make another WW movie within 20 or so years if they mess this up big time, so they're taking there time and planning on there next move on doing so. If they know any better, they'll probably wait for Marvel to make a female lead movie and see how well they'll do it before they fell comfortable onto doing WW.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linkjt said:

@saren said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

there is no reason for that movie to happen?,the reason is always the same,the posibility to make money,that is why even D-list characters like elektra and blade had movies,shazam or zatana don't have more reasons to happen than WW,on the contrary WW has more reasons for being the female hero par excellence,they already gave catwoman a chance and catwoman is also an icon,the most famous female villan in comics and they weren't afraid of trying,they also have had some bad expriences at the box office with superman and they didn't stop trying,on the contrary,they are still trying to establish him for once and for all on the big screen,sooner or later they will give WW a chance,and considering that she is the one that brought the mythological theme to the mainstream audience,before kratos,xena,clash of the titants,marvel thor,etc,she has a really good chance to score a hit movie.

Here's the fundamental difference between Warner Brothers and Disney Studios --- Warner Bros. does not need DC to make themselves money. WB was the most successful studio of 2013. They had over $5 billion in movie grosses last year, out of which less than 700$ million came from their sole superhero offering, Man of Steel. That's around 13% of their total gross. On the other hand, Disney had $4.7 billion in total grosses, out of which nearly $1.9 billion --- over 40% of their total gross, which is a much, much larger chunk --- came from superhero movies.

Disney Studios needs Marvel in a way that Warner Bros. does not need DC. Disney has traditionally relied on animation to make the biggest chunk of their money, but they need a slice of the live-action pie as well to rank among the top studios. Marvel is currently Disney's only real foray into the live-action market, especially now that the Pirates franchise is gone. They tried to set up a John Carter franchise, but that ended once that film became one of the biggest box office bombs of the 21st century. The same thing happened with the Lone Ranger movie and those franchise hopes that ended with losses nearing $200 million. Disney has not had a great deal of success in the live-action market, and the successes they have had haven't been in the territory of what other studios call successes. They have a few franchises in the making like Alice that have great potential, but in terms of the sheer quantity of output and average returns on that output, there is nothing Disney has ever had that beats Marvel's value to them.

So if the argument is that Warner's reason to make a Wonder Woman movie is money, that argument is entirely wrong. Warner could never make a Wonder Woman movie and they'd still be one of the most successful studios in Hollywood, if not the most successful. Warner could never make another Superman movie and they'd be fine. Warner could never make another Batman movie again and they'd still be fine. The reason for that is they have a much wider range of live-action properties that can be successfully spun off into franchises than Disney does, and so DC didn't need to be at the top of their priorities like Marvel needed to be at Disney. They have a highly anticipated Godzilla movie coming out this month that's probably going to blow up the box office, and which has already received the green light for a sequel. They have the last Hobbit movie coming out in December that's a guaranteed billion dollar box office hit. Elektra barely made a profit. Catwoman was not only not about Catwoman, but a box office failure. No Blade movie made more than a $100 million in profits. In an age where a movie like Man of Steel can make over $400 million in profits and still be considered to have underperformed, movies like Elektra, Blade and Catwoman are entirely the wrong precedent to go searching for if you want to make the argument that Warner Bros. should swallow the risks and make a Wonder Woman movie. It's a common complaint on Superman forums and Wonder Woman forums that Batman gets too much focus. Do you know why he gets that much focus? Because he brings in money in a way and volume that the other two never have. What exactly has Wonder Woman done for WB to invest so much faith in her? The grosses that movies like Clash of the Titans brought in are much smaller than what a studio like WB would expect from a Wonder Woman movie to consider it successful.

You want to know why Kevin Tsujihara declared last week that DC was now Warner's top priority? Star Wars. The MCU on its own, given Disney's history with other live-action franchises, isn't something to worry about. But Star Wars is a mega franchise that's guaranteed to make at least a billion on each installment, and the addition of it to Disney's repertoire means Warner needs to find ready franchises fast. And the potential market for kid-friendly franchises like Shazam and Metal Men is a helluva lot bigger than the potential market for Wonder Woman. Just ask Disney; no one knows kid-friendly franchises like they do. That's why they have more reasons to happen than a Wonder Woman film.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linkjt - How does WW deserve a movie more than Shazam? As a long time Shazam fan I´m really happy he´s getting a movie, just as I´d be happy if WW did.

THe fact of the matter is WBs is just crap. And current DC staff don´t seem to understand there own characters. Between the two, that is the problem. And these egotistical morons will never ever blame there own writing. No they blame the characters instead.

Shazam rightly has a movie coming out because Geoff Johns did a hell of a job sorting out his mythos in New 52, meaning that screenwriters finally have something, fresh, compelling, and modern to adapt as an origin story for the beginning of a franchise. I mean you could literally take The latest Shazam graphic novel, panel for panel and make it a film.

WW New 52 story on the other is pile of shit filmwise. It is avant garde to the highest degree. Completely unadaptable and will likely piss off WW a large majority of WW fans. The New 52 in my opinion should have taken the time to streamline WW story and give a structure for a film like Shazam did. Like The Flash did as well, which is likely why he´s getting a TV series as well.

Warner Brothers has there problems, but truth be told DC has given them F-all to work with in terms of modernizing WW story which is likely why screenwriters have found adapting WW a pain in the ass. You´d have to literally make up your own story, and just tag it on to one of many possible WW origins to get it right. It would have to be a labour of love rather than just a job.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

No, not really. There's some hiccup's here and there and finding someone that knows and understands the characterization of her unlike that guy who did that pilot episode back in 2011, but it's shouldn't be that complicated to do a WW movie. But still, WB would have a whole lot to lose at this point, especially since they're trying to catch up will Marvel on the movies, and would probably never make another WW movie within 20 or so years if they mess this up big time, so they're taking there time and planning on there next move on doing so. If they know any better, they'll probably wait for Marvel to make a female lead movie and see how well they'll do it before they fell comfortable onto doing WW.

I think this is the best answer so far.I mean DC don't admit it but we all know that they are trying to catch up with Marvel on movies, not because they need the money as Marvel but just because they think they shouldn't be that behind on this matter.They probably won't wait until Marvel do a solo female movie but they will definitely be watching the way Marvel are handling female superheroes.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

This.

Also part of it is no doubt because she is a female superhero. Nobody likes to hear it, but it's a fact that leading female heroes are seldom featured in the media... because on occasions that they have, they've clunked. Catwoman, Elektra, Supergirl, etc. All bullcrap. Now that's not the character's faults, or because they're women - they're just crap movies. But a history like that makes people nervous to proceed - that principal applies to many outlets.

Just look at Green Lantern. It shot down WB expanding into other DC characters even though GL didn't fail because of the character being sucky - it failed because the movie was horrible. So what did WB do? They only let DC make another mainstream movie to fall back on - Superman. Now granted, Man of Steel was much needed to get big blue back on the silver screen, but WB only did that because they didn't want to risk another clunker, and only did so after Man of Steel proved to be a big success.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gal Gadot is signed on for 3 movies featuring WW (BvS, JL, and of course, WW). They just haven't announced it yet, be patient.

Btw, Shazam deserves a movie more than WW, come at me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it was easy to make they would have already made it. It's that simple.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: im hoping shazam and metal man are cgi animated movie

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By Squalleon

@saren said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Didn't they confirmed that MM and Shazam wouldn't be connected with the JL?

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I refuse to believe so.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@squalleon said:

@saren said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Didn't they confirmed that MM and Shazam wouldn't be connected with the JL?

They said ''not connected to JL'' --- that doesn't mean Shazam can't be in the same universe, just that he won't appear in the first JL film. I have a feeling Shazam will appear with Superman.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 frozen  Moderator

@saren:

And the potential market for kid-friendly franchises like Shazam and Metal Men is a helluva lot bigger than the potential market for Wonder Woman

I don't think New-52 Shazam is that kid friendly. It had strong themes of family, and the elements were certainly there but do you rank it in the same class as Metal Men for kid friendliness?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gal Gadot is signed on for 3 movies featuring WW (BvS, JL, and of course, WW). They just haven't announced it yet, be patient.

Btw, Shazam deserves a movie more than WW, come at me.

They'll be coming!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@wolverine08:

Wonder Woman deserves a movie over Superman and Batman.

Avatar image for wonderwomanfan8
    WonderWomanFan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WonderWomanFan8

@bruxae said:

QFT. Pretty much this, IMO as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.