Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Interview with the Finches

• 54 results
    CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CSG_CL

I'm warming up to Meredith ... here's hoping her writing can actually capture what she has to say about the character!

Full article Here

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kacy Cantazaro is strong enough to lift her own 100lbs body through that obstacle course, she's admirably strong and I'm a huge fan of her right now but any 6'4 male with big bulging muscles would snap her like a twig. Regardless, she's petite but absolutely fit, unlike the Wonder Woman her husband's drawing.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kacy Cantazaro is strong enough to lift her own 100lbs body through that obstacle course, she's admirably strong and I'm a huge fan of her right now but any 6'4 male with big bulging muscles would snap her like a twig. Regardless, she's petite but absolutely fit, unlike the Wonder Woman her husband's drawing.

99% of the interview is about how Meredith wants to characterize Diana, something you of all people should appreciate, and you zero in on the one sentence about a small woman?

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Those 99% were redundant, she's been saying the same things since her appointment was announced hasn't she.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will say however that I was pleased to read Wonder Woman will become "an advocate for humanity" as I'm getting sick of Wonder Woman being portrayed as a barbaric self-entitled god with little-to-no respect for human life outside her eponymous book.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Those 99% were redundant, she's been saying the same things since her appointment was announced hasn't she.

She made several more in-depth, clarifying statements about the characterization she is trying to achieve. This isn't redundant, it's reinforcing. The commentary on Kacy was a nice note that even a woman you don't expect to be powerful has the ability to be powerful.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@csg_cl: Well it's nice to hear that Meredith seems to have an idea of the core of Wonder Woman's character. What that core is to her seems to be unclear thus far. Also good to hear that Meredith doesn't plan to throw Azzarello's toys out of the Wonder Woman toy box though I am concerned the jump back to the mainstream for Wonder Woman's title will be instantaneous and rushed.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I want to mouth kiss Meredith.

Hard.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Like I've said the first time I read this interview, which was when their takeover was announced; I am not thrilled that one of Meredith's building blocks for their run on the book is a nearly 40 year old TV show. It's fine if you are writing something like Batman 66 which aims to capture a certain tone that doesnt fit in modern comics, but they aren't writing such a book :S

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@csg_cl: Well it's nice to hear that Meredith seems to have an idea of the core of Wonder Woman's character. What that core is to her seems to be unclear thus far. Also good to hear that Meredith doesn't plan to throw Azzarello's toys out of the Wonder Woman toy box though I am concerned the jump back to the mainstream for Wonder Woman's title will be instantaneous and rushed.

I also worry about it feeling abrupt, but I am much more comfortable with the characterization Meredith describes.

Like I've said the first time I read this interview, which was when their takeover was announced; I am not thrilled that one of Meredith's building blocks for their run on the book is a nearly 40 year old TV show. It's fine if you are writing something like Batman 66 which aims to capture a certain tone that doesnt fit in modern comics, but they aren't writing such a book :S

This is a new interview from SDCC, not the original interview ... she gives a bit more color commentary into why the TV show matters to her and talks about reading Azzarello's run and what tone she hopes to strike with Diana ...

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArchiZoom

@csg_cl: Kacy is by no means an ordinary woman, she's a former gymnast and supremely fit, not a life-size barbie doll so you do expect her to be powerful enough to lift her own weight, absolutely.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Kacy is by no means an ordinary woman, she's a former gymnast and supremely fit, not a life-size barbie doll so you do expect her to be powerful enough to lift her own weight, absolutely.

what point are you trying to make? I don't disagree with any of the statements about Kacy being remarkable. Meredith Finch's comments about here were admiring and showcased the whole point of WW in many ways ... any woman can be amazing ... she's showing a delightful insight into her own thoughts that I hope comes out in Diana during her run.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@archizoom: You do know that the only person even capable of being a challenge to her is Superman, right? She could probably solo the other 5...at once.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@lvenger said:

I also worry about it feeling abrupt, but I am much more comfortable with the characterization Meredith describes.

@outside_85 said:

This is a new interview from SDCC, not the original interview ... she gives a bit more color commentary into why the TV show matters to her and talks about reading Azzarello's run and what tone she hopes to strike with Diana ...

Doesnt matter, the contents is nearly identical. What isn't in this recent one is David putting his foot in his mouth.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@lvenger said:

@outside_85 said:

Doesnt matter, the contents is nearly identical. What isn't in this recent one is David putting his foot in his mouth.

I think Meredith made some solid new comments that clarified some of her earlier ones about the character. David should probably sit down and come up with a canned answer to the feminist question ... I can't believe he was unprepared for it!

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: exactly, the last 4 paragraphs are the juiciest

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

She is likeable. But that was never the problem. Can she follow after a legend like Azzarello?

To be honest, for DC to take such a HUGE RISK, she must have a good vision for the character (still haven't read the whole interview, I will get back at it).

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She is likeable. But that was never the problem. Can she follow after a legend like Azzarello?

To be honest, for DC to take such a HUGE RISK, she must have a good vision for the character (still haven't read the whole interview, I will get back at it).

How huge of a risk is it really? She's been paired with veteran editorial staff and her husband is one of DCs "marquee" artists ... she's outlined 6 issues at this point so I'm certain DC has their butts covered. I also imagine that if the first 2-3 issues have terrible sales she'll be out the door with very little commentary about it. I'd be surprised if David Finch's contract and Meredith Finch's contract look the same.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@squalleon said:

How huge of a risk is it really? She's been paired with veteran editorial staff and her husband is one of DCs "marquee" artists ... she's outlined 6 issues at this point so I'm certain DC has their butts covered. I also imagine that if the first 2-3 issues have terrible sales she'll be out the door with very little commentary about it. I'd be surprised if David Finch's contract and Meredith Finch's contract look the same.

Well David isn't exactly likeable by the majority of fans like Reis is or Lee. His work is often critisized for his women and his propotions, thats why he tends to work on dark titles that need heavy inking BUT he knows that and he even admitted it in SDCC and he said he is working hard to fix these. So I guess DC put him in a title that doesn't suit him for Meredith(and for David in a lesser extent), so they can have a better co-operation and so Meredith can have someone 24/7 who has plently of experience to help her, which I think they confirmed in an interview for DC all access. Putting a good editor is just trying to minimize the potential loss. And I think all writers even the likes of Morrison and Johns give at least 3 issues in advance and a year of plot, but I could be wrong.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: your second comment about Wonder Woman being quickly beaten by big muscular men, she could take on Batman, Flash, Cyborg, Green Lantern and Aquaman at once an beat each of them.

She's not defenseless.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@squalleon said:

Well David isn't exactly likeable by the majority of fans like Reis is or Lee. His work is often critisized for his women and his propotions, thats why he tends to work on dark titles that need heavy inking BUT he knows that and he even admitted it in SDCC and he said he is working hard to fix these. So I guess DC put him in a title that doesn't suit him for Meredith(and for David in a lesser extent), so they can have a better co-operation and so Meredith can have someone 24/7 who has plently of experience to help her, which I think they confirmed in an interview for DC all access. Putting a good editor is just trying to minimize the potential loss. And I think all writers even the likes of Morrison and Johns give at least 3 issues in advance and a year of plot, but I could be wrong.

That's why I don't think it's a huge risk to be honest ... and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a sales clause in any contract with DC ... and I'd bet DC has a back-up plan in place just in case it tanks. Coming off of a highly successful run like Azzarello/Chiang will have shown DC that WW can sell if the series is done well. I'm rooting for the Finch's to proves us all wrong and put out a book we're all going to love! But I'm an optimist and hate to think about it sucking.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Don't get me wrong I want it to be good. And I believe it will because I don't think DC would take such a huge risk otherwise...of course DC has failed me many times before but this time WW is at her bests in terms of popularity thats why I believe DC won't do something stupid, but it is a risk. Because dc is putting two names on the title that are either unknown or infamous, so DC has to put out something really good if they want WW to be successfull, especially in modern comic books that authors names are as influencial to the reader as the character in terms of picking a comic book up.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@squalleon said:

It is a huge risk nearly regardless of who followed Azzarello because of a massive critical success his run has been. DC could possibly have pulled it off by tapping someone like Morrison for the job, who could have made things even more interesting than they are. But as it seems DC has with the choice of Meredith kinda signaled that they couldn't or wouldn't maintain or improve and are just controlling the loss.

Asides that, yes it can be it's going to be magnificent and the Meredith has a good strong vision for what she wants to do... hopefully thats what's gotten her on board, otherwise it's just the usual industry nepotism at work. (It's nearly a rule of thumb writers and artists give as advice to people who want to get into the industry; make friends with someone).

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@squalleon said:

It is a huge risk nearly regardless of who followed Azzarello because of a massive critical success his run has been. DC could possibly have pulled it off by tapping someone like Morrison for the job, who could have made things even more interesting than they are. But as it seems DC has with the choice of Meredith kinda signaled that they couldn't or wouldn't maintain or improve and are just controlling the loss.

Asides that, yes it can be it's going to be magnificent and the Meredith has a good strong vision for what she wants to do... hopefully thats what's gotten her on board, otherwise it's just the usual industry nepotism at work. (It's nearly a rule of thumb writers and artists give as advice to people who want to get into the industry; make friends with someone).

That makes the assumption that one of the big names would be willing to take on WW solo series. Didn't Morrison just wrap (or is in the process of) WW Earth 1? Seems like he's want to move to something else after just doing a totally different spin on the same character.

I'm certain there is a level of nepotism at play here ... nature of the beast in any industry really. But I'm not counting them out until I've read the first arc ... give them a few issues to make a few mistakes then decide how I feel once it's clear what direction they are really heading. Sounds like you are doing the same.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Don't get me wrong I want it to be good. And I believe it will because I don't think DC would take such a huge risk otherwise...of course DC has failed me many times before but this time WW is at her bests in terms of popularity thats why I believe DC won't do something stupid, but it is a risk. Because dc is putting two names on the title that are either unknown or infamous, so DC has to put out something really good if they want WW to be successfull, especially in modern comic books that authors names are as influencial to the reader as the character in terms of picking a comic book up.

I agree ... but they may not have had a ton of options either, she's notoriously difficult and her fanbase is rarely happy with the results ... I suspect editorial will have a heavier influence than normal throughout the early stages too.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@squalleon said:

I agree ... but they may not have had a ton of options either, she's notoriously difficult and her fanbase is rarely happy with the results ... I suspect editorial will have a heavier influence than normal throughout the early stages too.

Well, for a title to sell it needs more than the hardcore fans. Azzarello's run did that, thats why it was successful. So putting A list talent is a way to gather more readers. DC gave up on that because either a) believes in their product or b) as Outsider said they just try to cover the losses. But I want to believe that the a option is the one DC choose. Because WW didn't have so many people talking about her since Rucka's run and with BvS and WW E1 it would be a shame if DC didn't try to build up hype.
    Yeah, the editorial will have heavy interfierence until Meredith can prove that her stories are what the readers want. Kinda like Snyder and Batman, once he proved he can sell the book the editorial gave him a free reign.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@squalleon said:

Well, for a title to sell it needs more than the hardcore fans. Azzarello's run did that, thats why it was successful. So putting A list talent is a way to gather more readers. DC gave up on that because either a) believes in their product or b) as Outsider said they just try to cover the losses. But I want to believe that the a option is the one DC choose. Because WW didn't have so many people talking about her since Rucka's run and with BvS and WW E1 it would be a shame if DC didn't try to build up hype.

Yeah, the editorial will have heavy interfierence until Meredith can prove that her stories are what the readers want. Kinda like Snyder and Batman, once he proved he can sell the book the editorial gave him a free reign.

her fans are as big a problem as a help! Even just reading and posting here it's easy to see how rabid we can be ... and I swear there has never been a writer on WW that hasn't been labeled a sexist at some stage! Azzarello's run did a wonderful job of bringing in new fans, hopefully they'll stick around!

I imagine DC gave her the role for multiple reasons, including liking what she pitched ... it would be bad business to do otherwise.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: I mean Kacy Catanzaro. Meredith mentioned her to pull the wool over the eyes of those who've condemned her husband for portraying Wonder Woman as a barbie-like woman, delicate-but-strong, strong but without the ugliness. Kacy is supremely fit though and she's not super strong as much as just strong enough to lift her own weight.

Wonder Woman could never beat them all at once, perhaps not even Aquaman in a 1o1 fight.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Superguy1591

@archizoom: ah, I see what you mean. Even the DC rep knew it wouldn't end well, that's why they ended the interview.

But you're mental If you think she's that weak in DC's eyes. In JL alone, she already shattered Hal's constructs and tag Flash. I hardly think that Aquaman, Cyborg or Batman would be much of a challenge.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ArchiZoom

@superguy1591: The publicist's intervention speaks volumes about the company. Obviously as a sharp woman, the interviewer knew they're full of shit and kept pushing for David lol

Aquaman was actually one of the 50 people that one-shotted Wonder Woman in Injustice and they seemed evenly matched in Flashpoint until Superman just cut off his arm with remarkable ease.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: she would crush them easily IMO. It's really a no-brainier that other than SM none of the league has much of a shot against her unless they get lucky.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But you're mental If you think she's that weak in DC's eyes

Her JLA nemesis is Katana for christ's sake.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: and how'd that work out for them, last I checked JLA was canceled ... Bad ideas happen, and then they die.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: the idea passed through dc's dreaded editorial sieve.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: so? Doesn't make it a statement on WW, only what some editor thought might sell comics. For all we know they had some plan to up give Katana a power up or some additional artifact to use against Diana ... She has the martial arts skill to be effective if she was more powerful physically.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: no but the sum of the all the horrible little things they consent to, does. It doesn't take a genius to know the hoi polloi thinks very poorly of Wonder Woman and that's not because she's been portrayed satisfyingly well.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

That makes the assumption that one of the big names would be willing to take on WW solo series. Didn't Morrison just wrap (or is in the process of) WW Earth 1? Seems like he's want to move to something else after just doing a totally different spin on the same character.

I'm certain there is a level of nepotism at play here ... nature of the beast in any industry really. But I'm not counting them out until I've read the first arc ... give them a few issues to make a few mistakes then decide how I feel once it's clear what direction they are really heading. Sounds like you are doing the same.

I imagine they are all busy doing other things or dont have any ideas for a run.

I am going to, but it will remain to be seen if it will be a book I am actually looking forwards to read or not.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: in Injustice, maybe, but thats Elseworlds. In Throne of Atlantis, Wonder Woman didn't even feel threatened enough to go god mode on Aquaman.

Wonder Woman makes quick work of Aquaman in the real world. Even in Flashpoint, Aquaman got a huge boost. He might have been enough to take on Diana then, but he doesn't stand a chance against her in Prime or in the old DCU.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: that's your spin on it based on what a handful of posters on some battle boards think. And quiet honestly why anyone cares what the "hoi polloi" think is beyond reason. The masses opinion change with one good push. Does it matter if she is less powerful than SM in DoJ? Her power has always been in her message not her fist. The fact that you care what Joe 6-pack thinks of her is rather sad. The fact that you have judged her character based on an incomplete story simply because she hasn't won every fight is puzzling and the fact that you are angry that an untold story had her putted against a clearly weaker foe is laughable. Why not simply boycott DC if you truly have conviction in your so-called beliefs?

Let me ask you a question ... What value would she bring if she was an unbeatable powerhouse who never had to personally face adversity or defeat? What lesson can she teach if she's already perfect in every way? How does she teach someone the value of being your best if she herself is incapable of becoming better?

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: totally agree! However she wound up with the task if it is good I'll be happy. If it's bad, I'll wait it out

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Confounding is how intelligent you sound but stupid you are, as well as you're obsessive need to put words in my mouth and insult me on that basis. You're relentless. I explained to you at least twice, to the very best of my ability, that Wonder Woman lost every fight she fought against respectfully powerful opponents of the opposite sex in the new 52 and that I'd like my favorite hero to lose a little less frequently, not necessarily never. Sadly in your mind, less than always is never because you are, and I'm sorry to say this, a hopeless idiot.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CSG_CL

@archizoom: so you're saying you have no actual response. Not a shock.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: The premise for Injustice is that this what the heroes of this earth would've become had Metropolis been destroyed and Superman's pregnant wife as well as all his friends were murdered. Their power levels are supposed to be roughly the same and she's discernibly less powerful than Superman. I hope you're right about Wonder Woman but I have to see it to believe it.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CSG_CL

@archizoom: yet she is massively more invulnerable than any other version of WW in history. She is totally bullet proof and took a nuclear blast that was meant to kill SM and survived a dose of heat vision that destroyed Martian Manhunter. You so easily pick out the things you think make her look weak while totally ignoring the stuff that make her look powerful.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ArchiZoom

@csg_cl: well I wrote that "she's discernibly less powerful than Superman" and I didn't lie did I. The explosion wasn't "meant" to kill him. Wonder Woman sliced Captain Atom's neck and that's why he blew up. Superman survived the nuclear mega blast sustaining no serious injuries despite having stood at the heart of the explosion whereas Wonder Woman is still comatose.

In the game Deathstroke even outmaneuvered Wonder Woman and stole her lasso.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: as usual you missed the point. She's also significantly more powerful than most of her other incarnations. The problem is your desperate need to make her the most powerful and the lead of everything she appears in. Injustice is a rather well done piece that shows WW as the clear #2 behind SM .... But that doesn't suffice for you. She has to be the most powerful or she sucks in your world.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to miss Azzarello and Chiang's run, it was my favorite comic of the New 52, and probably one of the best comics ever made. Still, I love Wonder Woman and David Finch, and although I haven't read anything from her yet, I'm glad DC is taking a chance on a new writer. The best news is that she's going to respect Azzarello's work on the character/mythos, which is good because that's a great base to build upon.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I gotta ask, are you a girl? If you are, the conversation between you guys gets 100 times more enjoyable.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.