Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Interview: Brian Azzarello Talks WONDER WOMAN

• 67 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

We recently caught up with the writer of WONDER WOMAN, Brian Azzarello, to discuss the current series and what the creator has in store for Diana and her supporting cast in the coming issues. How does she deal with betrayal? What is the significance of Diana's relationship with Ares? The writer answers these questions and more, and provides us with some very cool interior art from the series' upcoming issue.

WONDER WOMAN #18
    WONDER WOMAN #18

Comic Vine: In issue #17 we saw the first interaction between Ares and an adult Diana. The solicit for WONDER WOMAN #18 implies that the God of War has more planned in store for the character. What can you say about what you have planned?

Brian Azzarello: [Laughs] What do I have planned for #18? Well #18 comes out this week and it is going to wrap up sort of everything we've set up and issue #19 we'll be starting a new storyline.

CV: Is this the last we've seen of him [Ares]?

BA: No, no way!

CV: How would you describe Wonder Woman's relationship with Ares?

BA: Wonder Woman and Ares' relationship....I think it's....I think he feels very paternal towards her.

CV: And how would you say she feels about him?

BA: Well, I wouldn't say it's paternal, but I think as we established in issue #0 she has feelings for him as her mentor.

== TEASER ==

CV: What inspired you to make Ares this male figure in Diana's life? And did you feel she needed to be influenced by him?

BA: I didn't think she needed to be influenced...Well, she's a warrior and I thought maybe War should train the warrior. But I thought that the character War needed a fresh approach just so he wasn't so....moustache-twirling evil, because he's always sort of been portrayed that way before. And going back to the myth we're pulling this out of, he [War] was worshipped. I mean, War wasn't always a bad thing and that's something I wanted to play with in relation to that character. You know, there was glory in war.

WONDER WOMAN #19
    WONDER WOMAN #19

CV: Do you have plans to further explore Diana's heritage and relationship with her Mother?

BA: Yes, we will be doing that. Not right away though. There's some other changes before we get back into that.

CV: Orion and Wonder Woman have already butt heads quite a bit during this series. How would you define their relationship going further?

BA: Don't miss issue #19! I think that...well, something is going to happen...I don't think Superman would approve.

WONDER WOMAN #19
    WONDER WOMAN #19

CV: The solicit for issue #20 of WONDER WOMAN states that although there was "one person she thought she could trust, she thought wrong." Looking back at previous issues starting from the relaunch of her series, Diana has endured nothing but betrayal: from being lied to by her Mother to being more recently betrayed by Hermes. How does the character continue to have faith in humanity and in others? How does she find the strength to trust, and, will you explore the depths of these betrayals any further?

BA: Boy, there's a big one coming. Who would have thought that the only character she could trust would be War? And herself, Diana trusts herself and that's really, really getting to the core of her character. I think that's what separates her from other superhero characters. She has a real deep trust of herself. And even when she makes mistakes, she's cool about it, you know? She's not like Superman or Batman. They overcompensate [laughs].

CV: What can you tell us about Diana's brother the "deadly first born?"

BA: We've been laying the road for their [Diana's and his] ultimate meet-up and it's not going to be pretty.

CV: So he will he be an antagonist?

BA: "First Born?" Oh yeah [laughs], he's an antagonist, all right. Not just to her but to everyone.

CV: Can you talk about his motives?

BA: His motives? He was...Yeah he was thrown...He was supposed to take over all of Olympus according to the prophecy and Zeus threw him out. That's his motivation. A lot of anger in that guy.

WONDER WOMAN #19
    WONDER WOMAN #19

CV: Any plans to bring any other DC characters into this series?

BA: Like who?

CV: Like Superman?

BA: No. Superman's got enough face time in other books so he doesn't need it in this one.

CV: So you don't plan on exploring...

BA: I'll be exploring other relationships. As far as other DC characters, yes, but they happen to be from New Genesis and we're going to expand on what we're doing with Orion at that point.

CV: At what point in the timeline do the events we see here take place? Is this before the JUSTICE LEAGUE?

BA: It's now, everything is current.

CV: You don't have plans to leave the series?

Ba: We are definitely going beyond two years!

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By herrweis

I am so excited about where this series is going.I am also happy that Superman will not be appearing in the book.Not that I don't like him,but Azzarello is right that he has MORE than enough face time already.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2  Edited By x_29

Awesome!

comic_shaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By comic_shaun

Azzarello for more than two years? This has made my day.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz

Orion would make so much more sense as a romantic interest than Superman

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrShway88

I'm glad that a new storyline is starting soon.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UltimateSMfan

Azzarello is killing it on this series....definitely in my top 3! that page from issue 19..looks like..........New gods are perverts....oh man im a New God!!

His run should last as long as possible!!

Shika1Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shika1Dude

great interview, Wonder woman has been awesome and i like how things are kinda separate from the New52. Defo on my pull list - now and beyond two years!

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Press Oblivion

@Brian Azzarellos says:

Well #18 comes out this week and it is going to wrap up sort of everything we've set up and issue #19 we'll be starting a new storyline.

CV: At what point in the timeline do the events we see here take place? Is this before the JUSTICE LEAGUE?

BA: It's now, everything is current.

Lies.

@RazzaTazz said:

Orion would make so much more sense as a romantic interest than Superman

Lol! You're too much. :D

To Quote Charlie Brown. . . . . .Good Grief....

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By bloggerboy

@comic_shaun said:

Azzarello for more than two years? This has made my day.

Mine too!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Lvenger

Azarello on the title for 2+ years is excellent news for me! Wonder Woman has been a real break out hit for me and I'm so glad I branched out into reading Azarello's Greek/horror/edgy take on Wonder Woman. His storylines are far reaching and the separation from DC continuity is a breath of fresh air in all honesy. Hopefully he keeps this up since Wonder Woman is one of my favourite New 52 titles.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#11  Edited By cbishop

Way cool. I have enjoyed this series so much. Very glad to hear it's going to go on for awhile.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Superguy1591

Fave book in el 52. Azzerello is a god...

@RazzaTazz: Why? What about them says they're good together?

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By kennybaese

I kind of love the old school Vertigo feel this book has. I'm kind of bummed that I'm reading it in trade because I want it all NOW!

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Superguy1591: They are both gods, they have similar outlooks in a lot of ways, and plus the fact that he is ugly (without the Mother Box) is an example of Wonder Woman being more like herself, not falling for some guy because of his looks.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jphulk26

@Babs: Sounds like a load of nonsense and he´s on for more than 2 years, why? Are they just trying to completely bury Wonder Womans whole mythos. I feel a little throwup in my mouth.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Press Oblivion

@RazzaTazz said:

@Superguy1591: They are both gods, they have similar outlooks in a lot of ways, and plus the fact that he is ugly (without the Mother Box) is an example of Wonder Woman being more like herself, not falling for some guy because of his looks.

Interesting perspective. So Superman doesn't have a similar outlook to Wonder Woman?

Because Cliff and Tony don't draw handsome men doesn't mean they are ugly.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Press Oblivion: Not really, fundamentally different in a lot of ways. Diana is more like a pacifist that regrets she has to use violence, Superman is more like a police officer, that doesn't mind violence.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By gmanfromheck

Is it just me, but I take that as possibly meaning he'll be on past issue 24. So 'going beyond' two years total on the series, not necessarily two more years.

Avatar image for girlinfourcolors
    girlinfourcolors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By girlinfourcolors

As well written as Azarello's run is, I'd REALLY like to know what his reasoning is for making the Amazons murdering rapists. I'm really hoping it turns out to be a lie Hephaestus told Diana, because as it stands, it's a really disgusting addition to Wonder Woman's mythology.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Press Oblivion

@RazzaTazz said:

@Press Oblivion: Not really, fundamentally different in a lot of ways. Diana is more like a pacifist that regrets she has to use violence, Superman is more like a police officer, that doesn't mind violence.

Fascinating! I've never looked at either of them that way. I think Wonder Woman would be far more engaging if she was written that way especially in the N52.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Press Oblivion: That is the history of the character though, for the majority of her appearances from 1940 to 1960 she always said that "she couldn't marry Steve Trevor until there was no crime left in the world." The Perez, Messner Loebs versions and those of various others were built around this pacifist ideal and so is the new 52 version in a lot of ways (mostly with her disgust at the actions of the martial Amazons.) Superman is not that different in outlook in some ways, but it is not the head cheerleader dating the quarterback like a lot of people think it is, it is more like the class valedictorian who leads fundraisers for poor people dating the quarterback just because she thinks that he is hot. It doesn't fit with the romance between the two.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jphulk26

@Babs said:

BA: Well, I wouldn't say it's paternal, but I think as we established in issue #0 she has feelings for him as her mentor.

CV: What inspired you to make Ares this male figure in Diana's life? And did you feel she needed to be influenced by him?

BA: I didn't think she needed to be influenced...Well, she's a warrior and I thought maybe War should train the warrior. But I thought that the character War needed a fresh approach just so he wasn't so....moustache-twirling evil, because he's always sort of been portrayed that way before. And going back to the myth we're pulling this out of, he [War] was worshipped. I mean, War wasn't always a bad thing and that's something I wanted to play with in relation to that character. You know, there was glory in war.

To Azzerrelo: Ok, what an innovative move man, jesus this man is a genius. War is not inherently evil; man I have never heard such a notion. That´s some real deep insight man, real deep. Yeah that Ares was soooooo stereotypical before, in all the Wonder Woman comics you´ve never read. Totally man; or was he this little thing that is often refered to in literary circles... what it is it called again? starts with a V, oh yes thats right, he was villain. And like all villains, they tend to like doing a bit of mustache-twiddling; its your job, to come up with a story that makes that mustache twiddling cool, you pathetic, patronising moron. Please god I´m begging you, not two more years of this guy, he´s like a cult leader. He even looks like one. WARNING: Don´t drink the cool-aid.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dondave

Good interview

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

@jphulk26 said:

@Babs said:

To Azzerrelo: Ok, what an innovative move man, jesus this man is a genius. War is not inherently evil; man I have never heard such a notion. That´s some real deep insight man, real deep. Yeah that Ares was soooooo stereotypical before, in all the Wonder Woman comics you´ve never read. Totally man; or was he this little thing that is often refered to in literary circles... what it is it called again? starts with a V, oh yes thats right, he was villain. And like all villains, they tend to like doing a bit of mustache-twiddling; its your job, to come up with a story that makes that mustache twiddling cool, you pathetic, patronising moron. Please god I´m begging you, not two more years of this guy, he´s like a cult leader. He even looks like one. WARNING: Don´t drink the cool-aid.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh but for serious, you have issues. Did Azaarello push you down a flight of stairs or something?

"HEY GUYS DON'T LIKE THIS THING YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT I LIKE INSTEAD CAUSE IF YOU DON'T IT'S LIKE YOU'RE IN A CULT, BUT IT'S TOTALLY NOT A CULT IF YOU AGREE WITH ME AND ONLY ME".

His job as a comic book writer is to write interesting stories that find an audience, not to cater specifically to your wants and desires.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jphulk26

@RockyRaccoon37: @RockyRaccoon37 said:

@jphulk26 said:

@Babs said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh but for serious, you have issues. Did Azaarello push you down a flight of stairs or something?

"HEY GUYS DON'T LIKE THIS THING YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT I LIKE INSTEAD CAUSE IF YOU DON'T IT'S LIKE YOU'RE IN A CULT, BUT IT'S TOTALLY NOT A CULT IF YOU AGREE WITH ME AND ONLY ME".

His job as a comic book writer is to write interesting stories that find an audience, not to cater specifically to your wants and desires.

I didn´t mean the comic, I meant his stupid statement, and the continued spurious lies he propagates about former runs of Wonder Woman. He doesn´t need to put down former runs to elevate his own. If people like his run I don´t mind, I just hate nearly everything he says about Wonder Woman, and the fact that I have to be subjected for another two years to this nonsense just makes me feel a bit nauseous. Sorry for the mixup.

As for your last statement, its nothing to do with catering to my tastes, as I understand it Superheroes tend to have villains. Adventure stories have protaganist and antagonist, thats not me talking about my particular tastes thats me talking about the structure of storytelling. In any case, I was addressing the fact that if he thought Ares was to simplistic a villain, why didn´t he deepen or expand his motivation or plan? Rather than instead making him a one-dimensional stereotypical mentor. And from the guy who has ripped off nearly every story of demigods existing since 1200 BC, I wouldn´t be talking about originality if I was him.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By DonFelipe

I love Azzarello's Wonder Woman and I really hope he's not quitting WW any time soon. It's definitely one of the best things and series the New 52 have brought so far... besides Frankenstein (RIP!), Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Batwoman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Superguy1591

@RazzaTazz:

A.) Neither is a god, Diana is a demi-god and Orion is a New God. New Gods aren't gods at all, they're like distant cousins to gods, not actually gods themselves.

B,) Even if they were both gods, that's not a reason to pair them up. That's like saying if two characters are blond they belong together.

C.) Who said Diana fell for Supes based on looks? They fell in like because they felt isolated and alone. Lois is dating that guy and Steve wasn't man enough for her. She wanted an equal and saw that in Superman. Both were lonely, but they also cared for each other.

D.) Diana is a trained warrior, she doesn't regret using violence, she lives for it. What are you talking about?

Avatar image for dadarkknight36310
    dadarkknight36310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 Could you please take your ranting somewhere else for crying out loud. Azzerrelo is doing an amazing job on this series by taking a character that was stagnate and making her relevant. You and a handful of others are the only ones complaining because she is not the same stagnant character she use to be. Most people and critics are loving this book right now she and aquaman have been the breakout stars of the new 52 even more so than their flagship character superman. Azzerrelo has finally given the character a better rogue gallery and supporting cast instead of the same old boring amazons and Steve Trevor who by the way has been a lot more interesting in the new 52 than he was pre 52. I for one love the way he writes Diana, he actually shows us how compassionate a person Wonder Woman is by actually showing us how much she would sacrifice for her friend as well as people she does not even know. If you want to read your version of Wonder Woman read Justice League in that book, she acts like the old version you like, in which she did nothing but punch things and nothing else.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Superguy1591

@Razzatazz: Superman is my favorite character, but I really wish people would stop acting like he's DC's number 1. Batman is DC's quarterback, Superman is more the RB now.

@girlinfourcolors: Safe to say you don't know much about The Amazons in Greek Mythology? That was common practice for them, how else did you think they procreated and only had females in the tribe? They also cut off their left breast because it got in their way of shooting an arrow. Nothing new, they weren't a race of women who sat around and bathed each other like in Perez's run. They were fierce warriors.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Superguy1591 said:

@RazzaTazz:

A.) Neither is a god, Diana is a demi-god and Orion is a New God. New Gods aren't gods at all, they're like distant cousins to gods, not actually gods themselves.

B,) Even if they were both gods, that's not a reason to pair them up. That's like saying if two characters are blond they belong together.

C.) Who said Diana fell for Supes based on looks? They fell in like because they felt isolated and alone. Lois is dating that guy and Steve wasn't man enough for her. She wanted an equal and saw that in Superman. Both were lonely, but they also cared for each other.

D.) Diana is a trained warrior, she doesn't regret using violence, she lives for it. What are you talking about?

A. That is just semantics.

B. No, but it still is a bit closer to what Diana's basis comes from. An ancient Greek goddess dating an alien with superpowers or dating an alien god, the latter sounds better.

C. Maybe, but most of the reactions that I have read from Superman fans is that "its about time that he tapped that" and that is about the same approach that the writing staff has given their so called romance.

D. Yes she is a trained warrior, but that doesn't mean that trained warriors cannot be pacifists. There is no indication ever in all of her stories ever that she "lives for violence" She usually tries to avoid it at all costs.

Ghidoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ghidoran

@jphulk26: No where was Azarello insulting the older runs. He was simply saying that Ares as a character was a big too generic, which is certainly true.

You also see, to think every story needs a clear cut hero and a clear cut villain, which is completely false. Ambiguity in morals can make for excellent stories just as often as the classic hero vs. villain trope.

As for why he didn't just make Ares a more interesting villain...why should he? Why does he always have to follow what came before and not do anything new? Giving Ares new motivations and new aspects to his character is one way to go, but Azarello's going in a different direction. Nothing about Ares's character is one dimensional, and he makes for one of the more interesting gods in the whole series.

Saying Azarello's been ripping off Greek mythology is ridiculous. Yeah, of course he's using those characters. What was he supposed to do, create his own set of gods? That's ridiculous On the other hand, the characterization he's given them is completely removed from the mythology it's based on. Apollo was never King of the gods. There was no character like the First-Born. In fact most of cast of gods present is quite different from their regular portrayals. No idea how anyone can say he's ripping off anything.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

@jphulk26 said:

@RockyRaccoon37: @RockyRaccoon37 said:

@jphulk26 said:

@Babs said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I didn´t mean the comic, I meant his stupid statement, and the continued spurious lies he propagates about former runs of Wonder Woman. He doesn´t need to put down former runs to elevate his own. If people like his run I don´t mind, I just hate nearly everything he says about Wonder Woman, and the fact that I have to be subjected for another two years to this nonsense just makes me feel a bit nauseous. Sorry for the mixup.

As for your last statement, its nothing to do with catering to my tastes, as I understand it Superheroes tend to have villains. Adventure stories have protaganist and antagonist, thats not me talking about my particular tastes thats me talking about the structure of storytelling. In any case, I was addressing the fact that if he thought Ares was to simplistic a villain, why didn´t he deepen or expand his motivation or plan? Rather than instead making him a one-dimensional stereotypical mentor. And from the guy who has ripped off nearly every story of demigods existing since 1200 BC, I wouldn´t be talking about originality if I was him.

Heads-up: you don't have to be subjected to this, you can opt not to read the book.

I don't really see War as one dimensional or stereotypical at all-- his morality is often steeped in shades of grey, much like war itself. War is a masculine figure, and as a mentor, taught Wonder Woman how to fight, survive and tried to instill the nature of warfare which is that one must be capable of killing without remorse. Wonder Woman denies that need for a lack of emotion, but still adopts the more masculine modes of violence-- in that way she maintains a specific element of femininity and humanity.

War plays a significant role in shaping this progressive character of Wonder Woman. Not to mention that what one expects out of his character is totally subverted as he avoids the conflict over the throne of Olympus. Surely something not expected from a god of war.

He's not the one-note character you make him out to be at all, and plays one of the most significant roles in the story.

And to your point about antagonists: what makes a villain interesting is when they are not evil for the sake of being evil. What makes this book so exciting is that the villains and heroes are often interchanged repeatedly. Hera began as the central antagonist, but now she's part of the team and a sympathetic, entertaining figure; Hermes was seemingly a meek ally, but now has been turned into a potential villain himself (although we still don't know the full extent of his motivations).

You don't have to like the book, but you're misrepresenting it so much and spew so much anger towards Azzarello, it seems as though you wouldn't have been happy with any changes to the Wonder Woman mythos.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Superguy1591

@RazzaTazz:

A.) Not a fan of semantics. =]

B.) Even though they have nothing in common? Does that mean Superman and Lois don't make a good couple? Lois isn't an alien with superpowers either. Who would you suggest as Superman's beau?

C.) They're joking, Justice League # 14 already gave us the reason they got together.

D.) She's the only one in the Trinity that kills, Kingdom Come showed that she is dangerous when paired with Superman because she doesn't have a line that she won't cross. When is Diana ever someone who regrets to do battle?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Superguy1591: I would suggest Lois as his romantic interest (beau means man, by the way)

Some are joking some are not. I don't buy this so-called romance at all.

I am not sure, how much Wonder Woman have you read?

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By darkman61288

@Superguy1591:

1. Clark is the real person not Superman so he and Lois have alot in common. And the Wonder Woman/ Superman pairing doesnt work because I think they are too much a like.

2. Their reason they got are terrible. Clark spent almost his entire life living among humans. He should not be isolated. He is doing it to himself. The same for Diana. She pushed Steve away, when he wanted to be close to her. What was her excuse that she didnt want to get him hurt. It was a terrible one. And them as equals. It sounds like they putting themselves above humanity. Superman and Wonder Woman should view humans as equals.

3. The fact that she is the only one that kills is making a stereotype. In a lot of tv shows that feature a warrior group the lone female with be writtten as a trigger happy eager to kill who has to fall in love with one of her teamates character. It is better and closer to Marston idea of her that she doent kill.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SNascimento

Nu52 Wonder Woman story is amazing, really amazing. What Azzarello did with War was very smart and the god great in this last issue.

I cannot wait to see what lies ahead for the last of the amazons!

Also, Orion and Wonder Woman as a couple is very interesting.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Saren
    CV:Orionand Wonder Woman have already butt heads quite a bit during this series. How would you define their relationship going further?
    BA: Don't miss issue #19! I think that...well, something is going to happen...I don't think Superman would approve.

Moar spanking?!

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jphulk26

@Ghidoran: @RockyRaccoon37:

I don´t believe there´s much point getting in a sparring match over this. It will go on for long and lead nowhere. My opinion on Ares is based on what I´ve read, I stopped downloading after issue 14. (No I don´t download comics, I pay, but I refuse to pay for Azzerrelo´s story) Maybe he´s added some new element that has made the character more robust, I don´t know. As for the comment Ares was one-dimensional and his motives were, well it depends on the writer really. For much of Ruckas run he did not play a straight forward villain, in Gails he was a bit more so, but I enjoyed both. I found him an interesting and likable villain whom I wish they did more with. If he was two-dimensional or one-dimensional then so is the Joker, so is Lex Luthor, why don´t we turn them into Batman and Supermans mentors? Give them a bit of ambiguity to make them more 3-dimensional? Anyway as I said I haven´t read much recently of his run so Ares might not be the boring character he was in the earlier issues; but my comment wasn´t aimed at the comic just his comment, I don´t like him taking shots at something he hasn´t even read.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By jinxuandi

@jphulk26 said:

I stopped downloading after issue 14...

I don´t like him taking shots at something he hasn´t even read.

Am I the only one who finds this ironic?

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#40  Edited By fables87

@kennyshat said:

I kind of love the old school Vertigo feel this book has. I'm kind of bummed that I'm reading it in trade because I want it all NOW!

This! The gods remind me of the Endless. Reason I love this book so much is it's not just a Wonder Woman book like her past books.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Superman would not approve of what happens between Diana and Orion? Getting this...must get!

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Superguy1591

@RazzaTazz: =p You got what I meant, fine, Superman's Belle. =D

And why is Superman and Lois a good match even though Lois isn't an alien with powers? Also, I have to ask, I hope you didn't think that when Diana was all gaga over Batman a few years ago that that was the greatest thing ever, because I met a lot of people who hate Superman and Wonder Woman, but Wonder Woman and Batman are a-okay.

@darkman61288:

1.) What does Clark have in common with Lois besides the fact that they're both reporters? I ask because Lois and Wonder Woman aren't that different at all.

2.) He lived with them, but he always felt isolated. With Ma and Pa dead and Lana gone, he has no one in Smallville to lean on, that's why he moved to Metropolis. In Metropolis, he had Lois and Jimmy, but Jimmy is a pest and Lois picked Jonathan over him. See the sense of disconnect? And the excuse of not wanting someone to get hurt has been done to death, nothing new, in fact, Superman told Lois that in the silverage A LOT. Don't attack it now because you don't like who said it to whom.

And yes, Diana and Clark are above humanity, they're "GODS AMONGST MEN". They don't view themselves as superior, but they are, you can't write around it. They're two of the most powerful people on the planet, that in itself is a form of superiority.

3.) Diana has been trained in the art of war all her life, since she could walk she's been training. She's been taught that to leave your opponent alive will only mean they can come back and strike you when your back is turned. That's not Brian Azzerello's doing, in fact, his Wonder Woman doesn't kill (Wonder Woman # 0 proved that), but the character is no pacifist as was suggested. She's not afraid to land the killing blow, that's her character.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Superguy1591

@RedheadedAtrocitus: See Superman # 20...I think the big guy finds out.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Superguy1591: Among many other reasons, Wonder Woman is too easy to write as a romantic interest for Superman. It is like in the Street Fighter comics where Chun Li is Ryu's girlfriend.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By Lvenger

@jinxuandi said:

@jphulk26 said:

Me too. Jphulk contradicts himself a lot. His whining gets on my nerves a fair bit too and I know from personal experience how bad it gets. He seems to be cutting off his nose to spite himself by commenting on here though.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SmashBrawler

Man, Azzarello has delivered an amazing run. Can't wait to see what he has in store.

@Press Oblivion said:

Because Cliff and Tony don't draw handsome men doesn't mean they are ugly.

No, Orion is ugly without the Mother Box. Like, actually ugly, nothing to do with whoever draws him. Comes with being Darkseid's son.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@girlinfourcolors: . In other versions when the Amazons went to war they would not kill all the men. Some they would take as slaves, and once or twice a year they would have sex with their slaves

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By jointron33

@RazzaTazz: "time he tapped that"? FANS said that?!!!!

That's Green Arrow, not Superman. He's not the kind who slings pipe, and Diana isnt the kind who slings ass(.....arello)

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jphulk26

@jinxuandi:

So you´re trying to tell me I ought to read more than 14 issues of a 19 issue arch so far, to make a decision on whether I like it, and whether the characterization is good? Also don´t quote me out of context its a very cheap way of scoring points. I said I was not critisizing his book I was critisizing his statement in the interview. Just because I don´t happen to like the book, has nothing to do with the opinion I have of his statement in the interview. I´m a very logical person, I am very careful not to contradict myself. Read and try and understand, then maybe we won´t need these pointless jibes.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jphulk26

@Lvenger said:

@jinxuandi said:

@jphulk26 said:

Me too. Jphulk contradicts himself a lot. His whining gets on my nerves a fair bit too and I know from personal experience how bad it gets. He seems to be cutting off his nose to spite himself by commenting on here though.

I´m tired of having my opinion on Azzerrello scrutinized by you. I was not saying anything about the book, I was talking about the interview. If I don´t like something someone says it is my right to point out where I think the person is wrong. I always am willing and able to listen to anybodies point of view about things with a cool distance. I don´t care what anyone says on the site as long as it isn´t bullying or in some othe way inflamatory to users of the site, so please stop whining to me everytime I call out your precious Azzerrello. Yes he pisses me off, when he does it I will call him out, and I will say why.

By the way this was not an Azzerrelo appreciation post, so I don´t see how complaining about him is ommitted from this thread its an interview, that simple.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.