Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

I'm so confused on wonder woman? I bet you don't know...

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By moywar700

what's is her major theme? Batman has justice and superman has strength but what is wonder woman? I thought it was love or warrior for peace. Does anybody know at all?

Also what is her official emblem? It keeps changing and i don't know which one is the official. With batman, it's a bat and with superman it's an S but wonder woman keeps on having these different variants.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By moywar700

bump

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Primmaster64

@RazzTazz

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By moywar700

bump

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Billy Batson

Equality?
    The letter w?
    BB

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SoA

wonder woman is pretty much a warrior she can fly and has super strength like superman , and isnt afraid to rough up the bad guys like batman she brings the female factor to the equation?

her emblem is the tiara, eagle ,and stars for me .

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By Pokeysteve

Her theme is Love, Equality and Peace.

Her emblem is always that double W.

This is assuming the DCnU doesn't eff her up too bad.

Also I think Superman's thing is Hope instead of Strength.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Onemoreposter

@moywar700: Why does she have to have a theme? Batman is the only of the big three I see with a serious "theme." Wonder Woman is much like Superman. They've had good live's, they believe in justice and they have the power to bring it down to the masses (who they also believe in). Wonder Woman in many ways is much more like you and me, and at the same time, way more bad@ss thatn Clark. While Superman will go to the ends of the universe to do the "right" thing and then agonize over his decision for time to come, Wonder Woman says, " here, this is what's right, i know this, I will do it." Her character, especially since the I-Ching era (I enjoy the characterization there far more than the stories and power set...) have been mostly !Wonderfu!l. As a man, I find her the Woman I would want to "be with" every bit as much as the Woman who I would want to be with at battle (or in my case a street fight :) and even the person I could always turn to for sage advice, even if we both know I won't agree with it.

If she has a theme, it's being the perfect person. That's a big thing to say, but she's superhuman enough to always believe in, human enough to trust, and again human enough thats she's real and fallible. She's has strengths and faults just like our, but she deals with them like we all wish we had, or could.

The Maxwell Lord scenario seemed pretty perfect to me. Superman and batman "never" kill and so the villain wins. BUT WAIT, Wonder Woman knows whats right and does it, even if it's wrong.

Point in hand, don't look for a "theme." She's great, lol, just be glad shes here.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By moywar700

@Onemoreposter said:

@moywar700: Why does she have to have a theme? Batman is the only of the big three I see with a serious "theme." Wonder Woman is much like Superman. They've had good live's, they believe in justice and they have the power to bring it down to the masses (who they also believe in). Wonder Woman in many ways is much more like you and me, and at the same time, way more bad@ss thatn Clark. While Superman will go to the ends of the universe to do the "right" thing and then agonize over his decision for time to come, Wonder Woman says, " here, this is what's right, i know this, I will do it." Her character, especially since the I-Ching era (I enjoy the characterization there far more than the stories and power set...) have been mostly !Wonderfu!l. As a man, I find her the Woman I would want to "be with" every bit as much as the Woman who I would want to be with at battle (or in my case a street fight :) and even the person I could always turn to for sage advice, even if we both know I won't agree with it.

If she has a theme, it's being the perfect person. That's a big thing to say, but she's superhuman enough to always believe in, human enough to trust, and again human enough thats she's real and fallible. She's has strengths and faults just like our, but she deals with them like we all wish we had, or could.

The Maxwell Lord scenario seemed pretty perfect to me. Superman and batman "never" kill and so the villain wins. BUT WAIT, Wonder Woman knows whats right and does it, even if it's wrong.

Point in hand, don't look for a "theme." She's great, lol, just be glad shes here.

" Why does she have to have a theme?"

theme helps define a characters for who they are. that's why it's important.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Onemoreposter

@moywar700: You didn't read my post did you.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By moywar700

@Onemoreposter said:

@moywar700: You didn't read my post did you.

I'm still not convinced.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Onemoreposter

@moywar700: Heh. Well I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything, but I'm glad you at least went back and read what I had to write.

Also her symbol is very definite. It's a w on top of another one. Thats what you'll see on clothes and in stores selling her merchandise. It may change up a little, but the most recognizable symbol for her is the W on top of a W. The chest eagle though is very recognizable as well. Don't try to categorize everything. One character can represent many things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
    deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though Superman's slogan is "Truth, Justice, and the American Way", I honestly think Wonder Woman's theme is more about truth than Clark's is. I mean, she was the goddess of truth at one point, a big purpose of her lasso it that it makes people be completely truthful with her and themselves.

As far as her emblem, whenever I see two W's stacked on top of each other i get that it's Wonder Woman.

RyuHayabusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RyuHayabusa
    You ask for it :D
    You ask for it :D
    Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Blood1991

This is sad. Truth obviously! LASSO OF TRUTH PEOPLE.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#16  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @moywar700: I am not sure, I would say Superman is also justice, or Batman is also strength.  I think her theme can be best summed up as compassion.  
    x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17  Edited By x_29

Truth!

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TAneT62

They keep changing her which is a totally annoying!

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By brettjett

@moywar700:

AS A WONDER WOMAN EXPERT WHO HAS STUDIED THE ACTUAL CHARACTER...& HER CREATOR'S WORK...& ANALYZED THE ORIGINAL MYTHOS, I AM IDEALLY SUITED TO ANSWER YOU QUESTIONS:

WW has a few themes, some of them are the main ones, others are the minor ones that are offshoots of the main ones. To help UN-confuse you, ya must disregard all those WW incarnations that came 1960-2009. Becuz they will CONFUSE you.

Her main themes are:

Malevolence vs Benevolence (Ares vs Aphrodite)

Love

Dominance-Submission

Yin/Yang

The unconstrained ego vs Loving Submission

Emotions...Normal & Abnormal.

The rising power of women.

And her core concept is: Force adapted to (or controlled by) Love...or martial adapted to venerial.

Minor themes include:

Team work & unity

Altruism

Social justice

Love & compassion & humanity

Men-Women dynamics

Psychology, parapsychology, mysticism, basically things of the mind.

Basically, Wonder Woman's world is binary. Its about the dynamics of opposing forces that must coexist with each other, and finding the right balance and/or configuration. That's the main, underlying theme. But what is NOT a true Wonder Woman theme is misandry or the riddance of men! Never once did Dr. Marston intend that. He actually believed that masculine & feminine need to coexist, as does Force with Love.

As for her emblem:

It was originally the golden eagle....becuz 1.)it was an American symbol, and 2.)it was meant to signify that she is performing the same type of occupation that Steve & the military were doing during World War 2, but doing it in a feminine way.

Then in the Women's Movement early 80's, some feminist writer (Jenette Kahn?) gave her the "=W=" emblem as a feminist symbol & her initials. But this misrepresents WW in a way, becuz Dr. Marston created WW with a different brand of "feminism" that was not the same as today's.

As for a definite symbol to be uniquely hers, I don't think Dr. Marston came around to creating one yet before he died. HOWEVER....

1.) The red star on her forehead represents Aphrodite, her patron goddess.

2.) In my WW screenplay, I redesigned her outfit which includes dove/eagle hybrid chest emblem that's supposed to symbolize her core concept of Force adapted to Love.

So far, only the David E Kelley version of her outfit features a chest emblem that comes close to mine, and thusly, close to her core concept.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By brettjett

@moywar700:

A lot of your confusions about WW is common, and not your fault. BUT....salvation!!!...For WW's 70th anniversary, I had posted online & emailed copies of my unpublished WW reference that answers all your questions about the actual WW character, "WHO IS WW?". I can email you a complete copy of it, or you can read bits of it here:

http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4182&p=18256#p18256

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AtPhantom

@brettjett said:

To help UN-confuse you, ya must disregard all those WW incarnations that came 1960-2009. Becuz they will CONFUSE you.

I don't see why her first 20 years of existence are more important than the last 50. You don't see anyone harping about the golden age Superman as the only real deal.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By moywar700

@brettjett said:

@moywar700:

AS A WONDER WOMAN EXPERT WHO HAS STUDIED THE ACTUAL CHARACTER...& HER CREATOR'S WORK...& ANALYZED THE ORIGINAL MYTHOS, I AM IDEALLY SUITED TO ANSWER YOU QUESTIONS:

WW has a few themes, some of them are the main ones, others are the minor ones that are offshoots of the main ones. To help UN-confuse you, ya must disregard all those WW incarnations that came 1960-2009. Becuz they will CONFUSE you.

Her main themes are:

Malevolence vs Benevolence (Ares vs Aphrodite)

Love

Dominance-Submission

Yin/Yang

The unconstrained ego vs Loving Submission

Emotions...Normal & Abnormal.

The rising power of women.

And her core concept is: Force adapted to (or controlled by) Love...or martial adapted to venerial.

Minor themes include:

Team work & unity

Altruism

Social justice

Love & compassion & humanity

Men-Women dynamics

Psychology, parapsychology, mysticism, basically things of the mind.

Basically, Wonder Woman's world is binary. Its about the dynamics of opposing forces that must coexist with each other, and finding the right balance and/or configuration. That's the main, underlying theme. But what is NOT a true Wonder Woman theme is misandry or the riddance of men! Never once did Dr. Marston intend that. He actually believed that masculine & feminine need to coexist, as does Force with Love.

As for her emblem:

It was originally the golden eagle....becuz 1.)it was an American symbol, and 2.)it was meant to signify that she is performing the same type of occupation that Steve & the military were doing during World War 2, but doing it in a feminine way.

Then in the Women's Movement early 80's, some feminist writer (Jenette Kahn?) gave her the "=W=" emblem as a feminist symbol & her initials. But this misrepresents WW in a way, becuz Dr. Marston created WW with a different brand of "feminism" that was not the same as today's.

As for a definite symbol to be uniquely hers, I don't think Dr. Marston came around to creating one yet before he died. HOWEVER....

1.) The red star on her forehead represents Aphrodite, her patron goddess.

2.) In my WW screenplay, I redesigned her outfit which includes dove/eagle hybrid chest emblem that's supposed to symbolize her core concept of Force adapted to Love.

So far, only the David E Kelley version of her outfit features a chest emblem that comes close to mine, and thusly, close to her core concept.

@brettjett said:

@moywar700:

A lot of your confusions about WW is common, and not your fault. BUT....salvation!!!...For WW's 70th anniversary, I had posted online & emailed copies of my unpublished WW reference that answers all your questions about the actual WW character, "WHO IS WW?". I can email you a complete copy of it, or you can read bits of it here:

http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4182&p=18256#p18256

thanks for the answers. I think I remember you from comic book resource.

Though I wouldn't say the last decades of wonder woman were a waste.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By brettjett

@moywar700: Whether the last decades of WW stories were a waste or not is a matter of personal preference. BUT...what cannot be argued is that the Marston years were the TRUEST to the WW spirit...more so than any other era. People have a hard time reconciling their mental imprint of who WW is, and who she was originally meant to be by Dr. Marston. This is the fault of the various writers who didn't really understand WW. I will say that the Lynda Carter & Brave/Bold show versions come closest, but they are still only 2-dimensional takes on the TRUE WW concept. We have yet to see WW in full form in a more literal narrative genre.

@AtPhantom: Okay, I'm only going to explain this briefly ONCE. From here on, anyone who needs explanation will need to read my articles. Just good my name. They're all over the internet....

Unlike ALL other superheroes (including Superman), WW was created more specifically, by a psychologist, with esoteric concepts. Therefore subsequent writers have had a hard time understanding those concepts in order to PROPERLY expand on them, evolve them. While other superheroes have concepts that were simple enough for every writer to understand, thus be able to PROPERly expand & evolve them. Thus, all incarnations of Batman, Superman, etc, have stayed true to the character. Whereas WW has not enjoyed that treatment.

THAT is the difference.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By sethysquare
    whats flash's theme? or aquaman's theme? Hell I dont think ironman, captain america or thor has a theme as well. Perhaps hulk may be argued to have a theme. Anger.

@moywar700 said:

@Onemoreposter said:

" Why does she have to have a theme?"

theme helps define a characters for who they are. that's why it's important.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By brettjett

@moywar700: BTW, I've been in the city at a Conference all week long. That's why I've been able to get onto the internet & post these replies. I'm usually VERY busy with my sched that I don't ever get to touch the internet more than once every other month just to check my emails...Plus, I live in an area that doesnt have internet access, and that explains why I don't go online much at all, save for my once-a-year internet sitdown when I attempt to save WW. The conference gets over tomorrow. So it won't be till close to 2013 when you see me online again! Until then, read my WW articles, and/or email me asking for clean & complete copies of all my revealing articles.

Regards,

---Brett Jett.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By brettjett

@moywar700:

P.S. In the meantime, take a listen to the BEST Wonder Woman song written so far....just goto YouTube & type in keywords: "Wonder Woman Tricky"

This song should put you in the RIGHT spirit of the true WW modernized !!!!!

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Onemoreposter

@sethysquare: Captain AMERICA doesn't have a theme?

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sethysquare
    Is it the truth, justice and american way? Or is that Superman's theme. hmmm I guess I have no clue.

@Onemoreposter:

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By ReVamp

lol

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#30  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Onemoreposter said:

@sethysquare: Captain AMERICA doesn't have a theme?

Um Liberty?
    Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Onemoreposter

@sethysquare: @spiderbat87: You guys are f***ing with me right? He dresses in an AMERICAN flag and has an A for AMERICA on his forehead and his name is Captain AMERICA. Hmm, whats the recurring theme here...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Onemoreposter said:

@sethysquare: @spiderbat87: You guys are f***ing with me right? He dresses in an AMERICAN flag and has an A for AMERICA on his forehead and his name is Captain AMERICA. Hmm, whats the recurring theme here...

I think it's the military
    BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#33  Edited By BatWatch

I'm not a Wonder Woman fan, but I have talked to people who are. I honestly don't think there is a single word for Wonder Woman's theme, but I do think there is one.

Wonder Woman's heroic theme (vibe, character archetype) is the unification of a warrior/ambassador of peace in the same entity. She is as comfortable showing mercy as she is dealing violence.

As far as her icon, it is the double W, right? I've never known anything else to be her emblem.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BatWatch
    No Caption Provided

@Onemoreposter said:

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @PsychoKnights said:
    No Caption Provided

@Onemoreposter said:

Asshole?
    Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Onemoreposter

Huh, I just realized there are the same amount of letters in Asshole as in America....

bum bum BUM!

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sethysquare
    whahahaha. Asshole sounds just about right.

@spiderbat87 said:

@PsychoKnights said:
    No Caption Provided

@Onemoreposter said:

Asshole?
    BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BatWatch

@sethysquare said:

whahahaha. Asshole sounds just about right.

@spiderbat87 said:

@PsychoKnights said:
    No Caption Provided

@Onemoreposter said:

Asshole?

Wow. There's a lot of hate for the Cap.

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By The_Thunderer

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By brettjett

I'm at a computer now for a few minutes, so I thought I'd check in again!

@moywar700: "Though I wouldn't say the last decades of wonder woman were a waste."

I never said those decades were a waste! Pay attention now...You asked what her theme(s) was, and in order to give you an answer to THAT question, I simply said to disregard those later decades FOR THE PURPOSE OF understanding her themes. Becuz those decades don't contain her theme as much as the Marston years (& some of the Kanigher years). The reason why you & other people are confused about her theme is becuz subsequent writers did NOT understand WW or what Dr. Marston was trying to say...thus, their renditions of WW lacked much of her theme and did not convey the themes so clearly. THAT'S why I said to disregard them...but only IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND her themes, becuz those later decades would just CONFUSE you.

PsychoKnights was on the right track when he said WW was a warrior/ambassador of peace in the same entity. And I would add that her thematic struggle is to reconsile the two sides...Ares & Aphrodite...to find an ideal balance. Becuz the concept "Force adapted to Love-humanity"sometimes isn't clearly or easily defined.

@AtPhantom: "I don't see why her first 20 years of existence are more important than the last 50. You don't see anyone harping about the golden age Superman as the only real deal"

I'm not "harping" on those later decades. I was...well, just read the above post. I was just telling moywar700 to disregard all those WW incarnations for now, IN ORDER TO UN-confuse him/her.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By brettjett

P.S. The =W= emblem was created by some feminist at DC comics becuz the golden eagle was too generic. They wanted something that was easier to draw and easier to coptyright, something that would be uniquely hers.

Altho, I disagree with it, and created my own rendition of what her chest emblem should be for my WW screenplay...hence the dove/eagle hybrid.

UltraBiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By UltraBiel

In my opinion she is like the godess of thruth, not only beacuse of her lasso, but if you realize a lot of WW stories are about misterious thing about her, humanity, the amazons or the gods that are unclear and evil people uses to manipulate others.

Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Katie24

@UltraBiel said:

In my opinion she is like the godess of thruth, not only beacuse of her lasso, but if you realize a lot of WW stories are about misterious thing about her, humanity, the amazons or the gods that are unclear and evil people uses to manipulate others.

That makes sense. The truth can some times be harsh, like Wonder Woman, but in the end the truth is a good thing and empowering, like Wonder Woman. Very cool observation! I think you may have blew my mind a little, lol. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Gender equality, justice,peace, love, compassion,truth

her symbol is the double eagle wing that forms a "WW."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.