Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

If Sex sells...

• 82 results
    ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ganon15

Should Wonder Woman, the most iconic female comic book character, have more sex scenes in her comics?

No Caption Provided

Share your thoughts

PotatoBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inb4 comment rage

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. She's good how she is. People can buy Starfire and Catwoman for sex. Wonder woman isn't iconic for sex.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Wonder Woman should become a stripper, itd still be better then what the Finch's are doing.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She can have sex scene but with the right man, and the right time. But more? No.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh lord yes i used to hate that virgin mary tag they sorta gave her in some runs. They must over do it but a few wouldnt be so bad, Alas the feminist and some of her hardcore fans may complain as they always do.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inb4 comment rage

No Caption Provided

No because it wont actually make the quality of it any better.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jayc1324 said:

Wonder woman isn't iconic for sex.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

:). Anyways, if people do want more sex in Diana comics, maybe they should read some of Marston's stories.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FoamBorn

@saint_sophie: hey that's not quite raunchy enough, what we need is some full-on gang bang action. Just wait for Morrison's Trial of Diana Prince I guess. I don't know how explicit it's going to be but he promised a lot of lesbian sex and possibly mass rape as well

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@foamborn: Ah yes. Less clothes is more. I'm thinking more hands on scenes as well should do her some justice.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Grant Morrison apparently things so. In an article he criticized how they turned her into an almost non sexual being.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep her wholesome. Heck, make her a nun.

Beata

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

As long as Wonder Woman is a well developed character in the story and the sexualization is done intelligently and doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it. I don't see Wonder Woman in bed with someone any less appropriate than seeing Diana brutally kill somebody.

One of my biggest pet peeves in comics is this puritanical approach to superheroines in which they can't have sex or do anything sexual in nature, because doing so would apparently turn them into sluts and demean their character.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
    deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

Fox News would love to cover Wonder Woman and Supes knocking boots on the roof of the Hall of Justice.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

She outsold Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Superman(Action Comics) and a whole load of other DC titles last month.

Maybe it's them that need the sex appeal.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@dernman said:

Grant Morrison apparently things so. In an article he criticized how they turned her into an almost non sexual being.

What?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By dernman

@deranged_midget said:

@dernman said:

What?

It was a awhile ago and the memory is vague. It was when the news of him doing the Earth One Wonder Woman book came out he talked about how he's going to explore of her sexuality and how over the years DC has cut her off from that part of herself.

Quick search. I don't think this is a quote from the article I read. He's done more than one but here is one sample hinting at it.

That Superman’s meant to be this ultimate expression of masculinity and he still gets to be sexual, while Wonder Woman’s meant to be the ultimate expression of womanhood and yet she isn’t allowed anything to do with sex.

EDIT: Granted what he's talking about isn't the same thing as the OP. Nothing to do with if "sex sells".

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FoamBorn

@youknowwhattodo said:

As long as Wonder Woman is a well developed character in the story and the sexualization is done intelligently and doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it. I don't see Wonder Woman in bed with someone any less appropriate than seeing Diana brutally kill somebody.

One of my biggest pet peeves in comics is this puritanical approach to superheroines in which they can't have sex or do anything sexual in nature, because doing so would apparently turn them into sluts and demean their character.

They can but once they break that seal it can quickly get out of hand. I can really see some of them passing off loads of male-fantasy fulfillment as female sexual liberation; Wonder Woman rotate through the Justice League in the name of feminism, I'm really looking forward to reading Trial of Diana Prince.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

If they have a good writer, they shouldn't need to

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

Sure. It would be fun to watch...um read...whatever

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@v_scarlotte_rose: definitely, especially in Green Lantern. We need more Kilowog sex scenes.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

They can but once they break that seal it can quickly get out of hand. I can really see some of them passing off loads of male-fantasy fulfillment as female sexual liberation; Wonder Woman rotate through the Justice League in the name of feminism, I'm really looking forward to reading Trial of Diana Prince.

In the case of the Justice League crop rotation, that would happen regardless of Wonder Woman comics embracing her sexuality more. Over the past ten years, we have already seen her hook up with Batman, Aquaman and Superman which is half the league. That's what happens when writers feel the need to scratch the itch of an inter-league romance in the JL and the main lineup only having one female representative.

Balancing the male-fantasy-fulfillment/female sexual liberation scales is not easy and we saw what happened when things are tipped too much to one side in RHATO with Starfire. That's why there should be a requirement to have writers on the book who know what they are doing and deal with the concept of female sexuality in a responsible manner. Similar to what I said earlier, we can see the unbalance between male fantasy and female empowerment in WW comics regardless of any additional sexualization. Finding the right balance consistently is a concept that writers need to learn how to do because it can be done.

I think that an overlooked aspect to sexuality and Wonder Woman are the artists who draw the scenes. I guarantee that a sensual scene would play out much differently when drawn by Cliff Chiang, Babs Tarr, or Mikel Janin than if it was drawn by Ed Benes, David Finch or Kenneth Rocafort.

Just to clarify because I forgot to write it in my first comment, if they want to show more sexualization in WW comics, it should not be to sell more comics and it should not be the main objective of her writers. It's just something that writers and fans shouldn't shy away from.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

They can but once they break that seal it can quickly get out of hand. I can really see some of them passing off loads of male-fantasy fulfillment as female sexual liberation;

Sounds a lot like Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the case of the Justice League crop rotation, that would happen regardless of Wonder Woman comics embracing her sexuality more. Over the past ten years, we have already seen her hook up with Batman, Aquaman and Superman which is half the league. That's what happens when writers feel the need to scratch the itch of an inter-league romance in the JL and the main lineup only having one female representative.

Balancing the male-fantasy-fulfillment/female sexual liberation scales is not easy and we saw what happened when things are tipped too much to one side in RHATO with Starfire. That's why there should be a requirement to have writers on the book who know what they are doing and deal with the concept of female sexuality in a responsible manner. Similar to what I said earlier, we can see the unbalance between male fantasy and female empowerment in WW comics regardless of any additional sexualization. Finding the right balance consistently is a concept that writers need to learn how to do because it can be done.

I think that an overlooked aspect to sexuality and Wonder Woman are the artists who draw the scenes. I guarantee that a sensual scene would play out much differently when drawn by Cliff Chiang, Babs Tarr, or Mikel Janin than if it was drawn by Ed Benes, David Finch or Kenneth Rocafort.

Just to clarify because I forgot to write it in my first comment, if they want to show more sexualization in WW comics, it should not be to sell more comics and it should not be the main objective of her writers. It's just something that writers and fans shouldn't shy away from.

And you trust dc to handle Wonder Woman's sex-life appropriately and choose creative teams discerningly? This is exactly where I was getting at, the Wonder Woman fans aren't necessarily prudish, I think we're mostly just skeptical given their rather miserable track record. This could so easily get out of control, especially with Wonder Woman being the only female in the team.

Judging from the way Morrison's spoken about WW Earth One, it's looking more like wish-fulfilment than sexual emancipation and that's what worries me. If we so much as show concern, we're basically "slut shamers" at this point and I can really see sex becoming one of Wonder Woman's biggest selling points, her sexuality abused and mangled.

Art-wise it would never be explicit so that doesn't concern me.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15 said:

Sounds a lot like Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose

Yeah I think dshipp reads that one so I can only imagine

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So.. does Diana need more of this?

No Caption Provided

combined with this?

No Caption Provided

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@foamborn said:

And you trust dc to handle Wonder Woman's sex-life appropriately and choose creative teams discerningly? This is exactly where I was getting at, the Wonder Woman fans aren't necessarily prudish, I think we're mostly just skeptical given their rather miserable track record. This could so easily get out of control, especially with Wonder Woman being the only female in the team.

Judging from the way Morrison's spoken about WW Earth One, it's looking more like wish-fulfilment than sexual emancipation and that's what worries me. If we so much as show concern, we're basically "slut shamers" at this point and I can really see sex becoming one of Wonder Woman's biggest selling points, her sexuality abused and mangled.

Art-wise it would never be explicit so that doesn't concern me.

There are very few characters (along with certain aspects of them) that I trust DC to handle appropriately and choose competent creative teams consistently. However, that shouldn't prevent writers from exploring certain aspects of characters unless every time a particular detail is put into focus, it leads to disaster. I don't think that Wonder Woman's sex life has been bungled to the point where it should never be examined by another writer. After all, the conflict between her duties as an Amazon, Justice League member and a civilian is an essential part of many of her stories. Meredith Finch tried to wrestle with that concept and so far has completely floundered in her attempt and really set the character back significantly, but that doesn't mean that other writers should stay away from that particular idea.

Wonder Woman is a figure of female empowerment and sexual emancipation and a good Wonder Woman writer would take all of the aspects that those two ideals entail and put them into her stories (as opposed $$ reasons). A writer should not be afraid of taking a deeper look into the sexuality of Wonder Woman, and if they take a stab at it and fail miserably, then they should be ridiculed. While fans have the right to be nervous about the concept of Wonder Woman's sexuality having more focus, that doesn't mean that it should be treated as a taboo subject because ultimately it does more harm than good to the key principles of the character. Besides, not all writers are going to approach sex and WW the same way and subsequently many writers, even with permission wouldn't touch that subject because of intimidation.

While you never took the position that Wonder Woman should be as close to a virgin as possible, it's important to note that when looking at the extremes of each side of the WW sexuality discussion, a chaste woman and a promiscuous woman are both fantasies for men.

By the way, the whole tl;dr to what I've been saying: If the writers want to take a look at Diana's sexuality, then they should. If they fail by quite a bit, roast them, but they shouldn't be forbidden from trying.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It not needed.. it's wanted.

donttellmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not saying that it's needed, but the original vision of Wonder Woman was to be a very sexual and erotic book, which is supported by some of these scans.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ganon15

I'm not saying that it's needed, but the original vision of Wonder Woman was to be a very sexual and erotic book, which is supported by some of these scans.

what scans?

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Why is this an issue?

jeanSummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never seen wonder woman as a sexy looking character lol

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheBlondeGod
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I dont think Wonder Woman should be sexualize. There are better characthers should be sexualize like Star Sppharies, Aprodithe, Vixen and Starfire and even Catwomam. Not saying that they should be around on their underwear all time and having sex with anything that moves.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because woman would complain as they always do, and DC doesn't want to deal with it.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are very few characters (along with certain aspects of them) that I trust DC to handle appropriately and choose competent creative teams consistently. However, that shouldn't prevent writers from exploring certain aspects of characters unless every time a particular detail is put into focus, it leads to disaster. I don't think that Wonder Woman's sex life has been bungled to the point where it should never be examined by another writer. After all, the conflict between her duties as an Amazon, Justice League member and a civilian is an essential part of many of her stories. Meredith Finch tried to wrestle with that concept and so far has completely floundered in her attempt and really set the character back significantly, but that doesn't mean that other writers should stay away from that particular idea.

Wonder Woman is a figure of female empowerment and sexual emancipation and a good Wonder Woman writer would take all of the aspects that those two ideals entail and put them into her stories (as opposed $$ reasons). A writer should not be afraid of taking a deeper look into the sexuality of Wonder Woman, and if they take a stab at it and fail miserably, then they should be ridiculed. While fans have the right to be nervous about the concept of Wonder Woman's sexuality having more focus, that doesn't mean that it should be treated as a taboo subject because ultimately it does more harm than good to the key principles of the character. Besides, not all writers are going to approach sex and WW the same way and subsequently many writers, even with permission wouldn't touch that subject because of intimidation.

While you never took the position that Wonder Woman should be as close to a virgin as possible, it's important to note that when looking at the extremes of each side of the WW sexuality discussion, a chaste woman and a promiscuous woman are both fantasies for men.

By the way, the whole tl;dr to what I've been saying: If the writers want to take a look at Diana's sexuality, then they should. If they fail by quite a bit, roast them, but they shouldn't be forbidden from trying.

I was mostly thinking about the comparison Yanick Paquette drew between Wonder Woman and Bruce, the idea of her becoming a comic book version of Samantha Jones, a sexually-emancipated woman that beds her fill of men just because modern women can and sex being a central recurring theme in Wonder Woman comics. I think women's new found sexual freedoms are used as a bit of a stalking horse to sexualize female characters and my gut tells me that's what Morrison's doing. I distrust some of these advocates of women's sexual liberation because I notice it coincides with their own desires.

With that said, there will never be explicit sex in a mainstream comic book and I don't feel like she's been particularly sanitized. Wonder Woman's always been involved with men and her bathing suit doesn't smack of chastity either. When Wonder Woman grabbed Orion's testicles, some people took it as cruelty towards men but I got sexual vibes from that.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

When Wonder Woman grabbed Orion's testicles, some people took it as cruelty towards men but I got sexual vibes from that.

Perhaps she was merely giving him the Amazonian hand-job?

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.