Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

I was never one to believe the hype

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By jointron33

WW writers, stop getting caught in the hype!!!!

Many ww writers feel intimidated because of her icon status, namely her feminist icon status. Do to this, we have several overcompensating stories of her as some paragon of women or whatever. They also say, "oh, it's such an iconic character, I don't know what to do". Thus, they'll use this excuse for when they either write crappy ww(or superman) tales or have to do another reinvention(coug jms cough).

Even if you hate his run, one thing you CAN NOT accuse Azzarello of is getting caught in the character's iconics status, so as to have to "humble the pompous princess" like crappy ww writers do(Geoff johns). Even elements of fan favorites Rucka and Simone's runs had some element of getting caught in the hype. This is one of the major deterrents in ww productions.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@jointron33: I agree. A lot of writers focus too much on her icon status instead of just writing a great story about her but it's not just the writers, alot of fans believe that too.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jointron33: azzarello hasn't been caught in the character's iconic statue because he took her iconic statu away,making her zeus daugther,taking away the amazons,her cast and villans,and giving her an ambiguous personality,johns has destroyed her character too.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42: indeed. It's almost as bad as batgod

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@jointron33: azzarello hasn't been caught in the character's iconic statue because he took her iconic statu away,making her zeus daugther,taking away the amazons,her cast and villans,and giving her an ambiguous personality,johns has destroyed her character too.

Johns writes a bad WW. Azzarello has had a fantastic run on the book. Stop complaining because things are different

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gokuwarrior

@peppeyhare: johns and azzarello suck,azz WW has an ambiguous personality,the story keeps runing in circles around the drama with the baby and there is no highlight moments in terms of fights and featas,the same story going on for 2 years,no action,no amazons,no cast,no villans from WW.

stop compliaining about me i complaining,a fan has all the right to complain,i've been following WW since i was 3,how about you?.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: Right. That's the problem with some Wonder Woman fans, they can't accept a few changes. And it's not even permanent so I don't see the need for complaints. Plus most of the complaints aren't even true.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@peppeyhare: johns and azzarello suck,azz WW has an ambiguous personality,the story keeps runing in circles around the drama with the baby and there is no highlight moments in terms of fights and featas,the same story going on for 2 years,no action,no amazons,no cast,no villans from WW.

stop compliaining about me i complaining,a fan has all the right to complain,i've been following WW since i was 3,how about you?.

This is a new WW. So no you can't say "WELL WW HAS A AMBIGUOUS PERSONALITY AND BLAH BLAH". No obviously she doesn't. Why? Because Azzarello said so

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: he can say whatever he wants,his WW has an ambiguous personality,the story lacks dynamism,action and good feats,her supporting cast and villans are gone,almost 2 years and azzarello hasn't established many points about the character.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

I'm digging Azzarello's Wonder Woman run, but that's just me.......

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW writers, stop getting caught in the hype!!!!

Many ww writers feel intimidated because of her icon status, namely her feminist icon status. Do to this, we have several overcompensating stories of her as some paragon of women or whatever. They also say, "oh, it's such an iconic character, I don't know what to do". Thus, they'll use this excuse for when they either write crappy ww(or superman) tales or have to do another reinvention(coug jms cough).

Even if you hate his run, one thing you CAN NOT accuse Azzarello of is getting caught in the character's iconics status, so as to have to "humble the pompous princess" like crappy ww writers do(Geoff johns). Even elements of fan favorites Rucka and Simone's runs had some element of getting caught in the hype. This is one of the major deterrents in ww productions.

This is actually an interesting take on the situation. The more I think about it, I think that might be why the Perez run remains my favorite - one of the recurring themes of that run was that Wonder Woman herself was uncomfortable with her iconic status and thought it got in the way of her message.

It's interesting to consider that in terms of Azzarello's book. As I've said in numerous other threads, I like Azzarello's book, but I don't think it's a great Wonder Woman book. The first eleven issues were great and I think you might be on to something that the reason was that he didn't dwell on the iconic nature of the character. Since then, though, he hasn't really dwelled on any aspect of the character. He seems much more interested in Orion and Lennox than he does in Wonder Woman, iconic status or no. Avoiding her iconic status should give him opportunities to reveal interesting aspects of her character, but he isn't doing that, and that, I think, is the source of a lot of the frustration that Azzarello haters feel (I could be wrong - I don't consider myself an Azzarello "hater," though I am critical of everything after issue 11).

Markies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Azzarello's run. Though i have to get used to his depiction of the gods though

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I actually like the new Wonder Woman, she's more brash and violent, more unforgiving, more warrior like than anything ... Wasn't that her upbringing? To be a warrior despite everyone's differences? Of course she's not the same as she use to be, Pre-52, less caring, etc. But ... What do you expect from a warrior born woman?

I miss the caring aspect, the reasoning, her original origin ... I really do hate Zeus being the dad, that pretty much ruined the books for me, her bloody origin ... But, despite her differences, she's going to have to learn and guide her personality. ;]

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel: And yet, she is still a warrior.

She is still compassionate, just not to the extent of Pre-52 Diana ... All I'm saying is wait, she'll grow.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

I love Azzarello's run, despite what others may think. It's an interesting and new take

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TAneT62

@toplel said:

@tanet62: She is quite a bitch in JL; easily irritated and getting into everyone's face. As for growth, Im not too sure. Too many writers who cant write her properly turn her into a generic hardass warrior woman, completely ignoring her compassionate and loving qualities. Shes supposed to fight for us because she loves us; right now it seems like shes just doing it to stab shit.

She is not a bitch, she is none of those things ... Just because she doesn't have the aura of Superman, personality wise, doesn't make her any of these negative things, if anything, she's more interesting.

Again, she is a warrior, born and raised, she is completely different from any of the other heroes, and her new origin? That's another reason she is as she is.

And I mean grow as in learning ... She won't always be like this.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel: Well then, you either like her or you don't.

Me? I love the new one, not as much as the old, but still.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

People are focusing on the flaws of Azzarello's run when it's Johns who is more responsible for butchering the character.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

People are focusing on the flaws of Azzarello's run when it's Johns who is more responsible for butchering the character.

I agree. I'm so so on the Azzarello run. I loved the first 11 issues, though I'm not crazy about the Amazon rape/murder thing. I wish the more recent issues would move along a bit faster and focus less on Orion, but I still enjoy them and look forward to them every month.

But Johns has just been terrible. At a time when DC should be trying to prep its characters for a Justice League movie, he's doing serious damage to the character.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuwarrior said:

Johns writes a bad WW. Azzarello has had a fantastic run on the book. Stop complaining because things are different

It's not the fact that things are "different", it's the fact that Wonder Woman's mythos have been twisted and perverted that has us pissed off!

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmessmer said:

@lvenger said:

I agree. I'm so so on the Azzarello run. I loved the first 11 issues, though I'm not crazy about the Amazon rape/murder thing. I wish the more recent issues would move along a bit faster and focus less on Orion, but I still enjoy them and look forward to them every month.

But Johns has just been terrible. At a time when DC should be trying to prep its characters for a Justice League movie, he's doing serious damage to the character.

John's has no idea what he's doing, he's making the common mistakes writers unfamiliar with Wonder Woman have made in the past. Azzarello is far more insidious and unforgivable. He knows he's destroying Wonder Woman and simply doesn't care - as long as his fans find his run enjoyable. When he's gone, they will be too and someone else will have to sweep up his ungodly, avant-garbage.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gokuwarrior

@scorpio_cassadine:true,jhons at least has an excuse,he doesn't know shit about her and in a book where he has to writte 7 characters it's easy to writte her as the typical headstrong warrior than going deeper into the true core of the character,but azzarello knows wonder woman better,and he doesn't give a shit about destroying her roots.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ Agreed!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lvenger

@scorpio_cassadine: I take offense to you calling one of the most well written, consistently best books of the New 52 garbage. If it's not to your taste, fine but it's far from garbage, I can assure you of that. It wouldn't be getting good reviews or positive feedback if it was so called 'garbage.' Azzarello isn't destroying Wonder Woman at all, nor is he twisting or perverting things nearly as much as you claim. JMS did far more damage to Wonder Woman in his run. Hell, Perez destroyed Wonder Woman's golden age/silver age roots to an extent yet he produced one of the best origin stories and one of the best Wonder Woman runs ever.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: good. Golden age/silver Ae ww sucked

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PowerWoman

@lvenger: Pre-52 ww>New 52 ww> Golden age/silver Ae ww

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerwoman: @jointron33: Well then I'm baffled as to how much this change can affect you when you welcome the other form of change I cited.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Pre-52 ww>New 52 ww> Golden age/silver Ae ww

How can you rank Golden Age Wonder Woman so low? Come on, she fights with Nazis over the nation's milk supply and uses her astral body to visit Mars. How is that not awesome!

In all seriousness, I find the Golden Age stuff charming (not just Wonder Woman - all Golden Age stuff), and it has to be read with an understanding of the circumstances. Regardless, it's the origin of the character and deserves some respect.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

@lvenger said:

@scorpio_cassadine: I take offense to you calling one of the most well written, consistently best books of the New 52 garbage. If it's not to your taste, fine but it's far from garbage, I can assure you of that. It wouldn't be getting good reviews or positive feedback if it was so called 'garbage.' Azzarello isn't destroying Wonder Woman at all, nor is he twisting or perverting things nearly as much as you claim. JMS did far more damage to Wonder Woman in his run. Hell, Perez destroyed Wonder Woman's golden age/silver age roots to an extent yet he produced one of the best origin stories and one of the best Wonder Woman runs ever.

Justice League gets good reviews and positive feedback.

Superior Spider-Man gets good reviews and positive feedback (from reviewers)

Bendis' X-Men gets good reviews and positive feedback

Snyder's Batman gets good reviews and positive feedback

That's not a good point to hang your hat on :P

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt: Point. I shouldn't have relied on the sometimes questionable nature of reviewers. But there are good things the critics of Azzarello's run overlook and flat out ignore on here. That's something I can hang my hat on :P

WhineHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WhineHaus

@lvenger: I agree with you. That's how I view a lot of the rhetoric against the New 52 Wonder Woman.

I am a literary person, so I absolutely love a good story. Azzarello is an awesome storyteller, and I find Diana's new origin more compelling, more attractive than before. It takes balls to take chances the way Azzarello has, and I respect him for that. I actually don't mind John's take on Wonder Woman either.

I've always loved Wonder Woman, yet found it difficult to jump into her comics due to the heavy backstory. It was like I was always missing something, and the New 52 gave me the opportunity to start fresh. So for that, I am very thankful.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did he just question the quality of Snyder Batman?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.