Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

How Strong Is Wonder Woman Now?

Nheritor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Nheritor

@budromook: I dont think he needed her help, she was there and she did her part

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Nheritor:

they were trying to save the people moving the aircraft against the pressure of the waves,they couldn't use their full strength because the aircraft would have been broken and everyone could get hurt.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Skewer

I think this is the best question to ask when referring to Wonder Woman because at times just like with superman she is also made to be too powerful as well. I'm referring to to fight with superman that involved maxwell lord. My problem is that she was hit with heat vision and she didn't reflect it with her bracelets was taken out to space and had the wind knocked out of her right when she was near the sun and then punched down towards the earth like a meteorite and still came to beat superman in that fight before killing maxwell lord and at other times made to be pretty weak that other villains take her down with chloroform. What I'm saying is that her power level is so inconsistent and in many ways even more so than superman and it appears that its a problem in the new 52 as well. For this reason I rarely read her comics and when she's in a fight I'm left wondering if she could take on her opponent blindfolded or whether or not she's any match for her opponent, which by the way sucks the drama out of it.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By KnightofSteel

yeah I wish the sword thing would be explained like why sometimes she has that belt thing on her thigh but sometimes not.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Skewer: she didn't beat superman in that fight,every character is victim of inconsistencies sometimes,but she has a lot of consistent feats that prove she is a real powerhouse,she is very powerful,and she hasn't had inconsistencies in the new 52 yet.

dboy4dashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By dboy4dashing

i wish all this character development would come in play in Justice League as well. There should be more to her than her always being related to some guy.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By colonyofcells

DC has more inconsistent power levels but in most stories, there is some consistency and Superman is most of the time not really portrayed as somebody who can juggle planets so the monthly villains have a chance of beating Superman. It is similar with Wonder woman who also tends to be weaker in most of the stories so fights with weaklings like Deathstroke can actually last more than 1 second. It is similar with Flash who does not beat the monthly villains in just 1 second. In most stories, throwing a bus at Superman is enough to push back Superman whereas in the rare more cosmic stories, somebody needs to throw a planet at Superman. Most old mythologies and fantasy folk stories around the world do have this type of power level inconsistencies.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By gokuwarrior

@colonyofcells: that's the point,writers are lazy,deathstroke should never give flash or wonder woman a hard time,a bus should oush back superman,etc,there are enough powerful characters that they can use against superman,flash,wonder woman,etc,so they should avoid stupid plots that don't respect the power level of the characters.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By modunhanul

I think she's just as strong as Superman.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#110  Edited By Pokeysteve

@Skewer said:

I think this is the best question to ask when referring to Wonder Woman because at times just like with superman she is also made to be too powerful as well. I'm referring to to fight with superman that involved maxwell lord. My problem is that she was hit with heat vision and she didn't reflect it with her bracelets was taken out to space and had the wind knocked out of her right when she was near the sun and then punched down towards the earth like a meteorite and still came to beat superman in that fight before killing maxwell lord and at other times made to be pretty weak that other villains take her down with chloroform. What I'm saying is that her power level is so inconsistent and in many ways even more so than superman and it appears that its a problem in the new 52 as well. For this reason I rarely read her comics and when she's in a fight I'm left wondering if she could take on her opponent blindfolded or whether or not she's any match for her opponent, which by the way sucks the drama out of it.

Lol Wonder Woman hasn't been taken out with chloroform in like 30 years! You're thinking of old school Silver Age, Linda Carter stuff. Fact is, Wonder Woman IS that powerful. She can take on people who outclass her like Superman or Ares. The more powerful a character is, the more inconsistencies they have. Superman, Wonder Woman, Silver Surfer, and Thor all have really high and really low showings.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#111  Edited By Teerack

@Crimsonlord53: I really doubt that.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By derf_jenkins

if I have to pick 13 books to be excited for this year. as of now I say; Batman, superior spidey, saga, hawkeye, green arrow, action comics hopefully getting really good, garth ennis red team, x-o manowar, archer & armstrong, harbinger, bloodshot, shadowman, deadpool.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#113  Edited By Miss_Garrick

The bracelets holding back her strength makes sense as it used to be done in 'ye old pre Crisis on Infinite Earths days', but the swords appearing from them is too plot convienent/lazy to me.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#114  Edited By LoganRogue24

@gokuwarrior: thank you for explaining.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#115  Edited By Outside_85

@noj said:

@Outside_85: The characterization in JL 15 and her solo about Wonder Woman not caring about a secret identity is actually decently consistent. The only reason she even considered disguising herself was because Clark asked her to. She didnt care about going unbothered otherwise.

Thats my problem with it. If she didn't care about hiding who she is before, why would she ever bother hiding? And why would she get excited over the anonymity when she could already walk around with some of her gear showing without anyone noticing?

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#116  Edited By feebadger

I'm pretty sure she can break coconuts with her hands. ISN'T THAT ENOUGH!?!?!?!

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#117  Edited By Trevel8182

Were does she keep those swords!

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By johnqestion

Superman has always been about restraint. Diana is the opposite. Trained warrior and fighter and goes for it. I think this is what is interesting about both of them, regardless of their abilties.I think the powers set up by Azzarello is going to go the way of Simone's lightning from bracelets. It will not stick because it makes no sense. It is like these swords out the bracelets a little deus ex machina. I mean is she going to pull an two axs out of them now? WW has been given a sword., has strength equivalent to Superman, a lasso, the tiara, the bracelets, she uses other weapons etc. Why does she need two all of a sudden? It's pointless giving her berserker mode if no one is using it in other books. It is a futile amp up. Why did she not take the bracelets off with Darkseid? Did she forget she had it when she teamed up with Batwoman? Also if WW knows she had this Godmode power, does not that make her a little naive? Where did that come from? Did she never ask herself how and why? JL seems more consistent with what we know of her and you don't need more amping in power to prove you are better character. Ask Batman.

supersmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By supersmith

This God power where she beat up Gods without the cuffs is just another example of showing that Azzarrello's WW is a title is in its own world.

The JL WW along with that team has a good array of powers to compliment each other. WW as part of a team makes sense with her powers there. It's kind of ironic we seeing things thrown at us yet asking questions about what can she really do. Incorporating her sudden powers means she cancels out what the others can do as a team. Also I hope she remembers she has God Mode to beat up Orion.It's like she can fly but in her own book she can't think that it might be a usefull ability.

wallywest55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By wallywest55

Stronger then supes in the new 52? .....NOPE! While diana is a better hand to hand combatant, in superman comic number 11 i believe he was "essentially bench pressing the earths weight" for like almost a week if i remember correctly. So in terms of strength superman has WW by a LONG shot. But in a 1v1 fight im sure diana would take it.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#121  Edited By saoakden

Wonder Woman sounds really powerful in the New 52 to me. When she removes her bracelets to access more of her power, that tells me two things. One, once the bracelets are off, her opponent is going to get their ass kicked, big time and two, Superman better remember her birthday otherwise he might get his ass kicked too. But in all seriousness, I don't know how strong she was prior to the New 52, but in the New 52, she is probably as strong as Superman, stronger when she takes off the bracelets.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By johnqestion

@Outside_85: re the walking around and not needing to hide. It just means Azzarello is not bothering. You have to buy it is so and that is up to up. It is no more a better explanation that she needs some aides to disguise herself to have some normal time after being hounded by press and making her debut to the world under the eyes of the media (which she did last continuity as well). WW strolling around London and not being recognized by one person is rather stupid unless those people don't know about WW at all . I mean (not counting JL) she went to Libya and engaged soldiers, she fought on TowerBridge and you tell me the media has not picked up on the fact? Come on, dude.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#123  Edited By Outside_85

@johnqestion: Superman (in JL) actually invalidates their disguises when he explains how people dont expect to blend in with normal humans, and that every time they've seen them, it's always been from a distance, theres smoke or something people should be running away from. And for the most part is by their uniforms and not their faces they are identified.

As for WW's public fights, well Libya is the size of France and most of the people in it live near the coast, so any reporters will be very late if the soldiers reported her presence in some small out of the way desert village. The London fight however is more difficult to explain because, as you mentioned, it was right next to a tourist attraction, but still the fight only lasted minutes and London is heavily congested.

Finally, unlike normal celebrities, people like WW have much easier time of loosing reporters, through their various powers, they don't come announced, they don't have a huge gaggle of bodyguards and the like following them around and they dont have publicly known addresses (if the British tabloids knew where she lived, nude photos of her in bed would be out by now).

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By herrweis

It just ALWAYS seems to be that she is as powerful as Superman.In the Golden-Age she was stronger than Hercules...which makes her Superman level,the Perez reboot in '86 gave her strength and power like that of the earth itself..which makes her Superman level.Her combat skills give her an edge most muscle bound heros do not have,and she is rarely written as dumb so there is that intelligence and wisdom there to factor in.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#125  Edited By RazzaTazz

I get that she is strong, I am actually more interested about other powers which haven't been referred to at all.  Like if the blessings of the gods story from Perez still holds.  

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#126  Edited By Trodorne

@OmgOmgWtfWtf: Well thanks for that lesson, nothing to do with the topic. Though im sure they would appreciate the constructive criticism in a professional private message and not posted on a public forum.

@RazzaTazz: I was wondering that as well. If its still based on Perez, or did they go with a different means of explaining her super powers. since she is the actual daughter of zeus as they explained in this series. does that mean she has Thor class strength? Cause honestly id like to see the super woman fight of She-ra vs Wonder Woman.

Avatar image for captain_awesome85
    Captain_Awesome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does being a demi god put her around Hercules' level? She always seemed stronger than that.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#128  Edited By Magian

@deaditegonzo said:

In the new52 Superman hasnt shown any vulnerability to magic, and I believe ive read every one of his appearances so far, including crossovers. Right now, to say he is vulnerable to it (never been weak to it anyway), is pure speculation for now.

Actually in the first issue of Justice League Dark, when he, Wonder Woman and Cyborg went to that house that the insane Enchantress was and she attacked them, she managed to hurt Superman and Cyborg and WW were surprised that a magical attack managed to hurt him.

As for WW, strength-wise she hasn't done anything so far to convince me that she is as strong as Superman yet. She just needs more feats yet. And even that scene where she uses her full strength against Artemis, still was too short to be used in any debate or something.

CaptainMexico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#129  Edited By CaptainMexico

Well seeing how DC loves to make Superman weaker so he doesn't seem overpowered, Wonder Woman is probably the most powerful member of the current Justice League.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#130  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Trodorne: And Beau could fight Steve Trevor in the background ;)
    xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#131  Edited By xxxddd

@Superguy1591 said:

@Ganthetsward20: Justice League #11

@xxxddd: I'm still confused how Martian kicking the entire league's buttocks in a one on seven fight doesn't prove he's more powerful.

That was because they were holding back. And it proves that J'onn is more powerful, not stronger.

It seems you don't know the difference between the two.

WESLEY_GIBSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By WESLEY_GIBSON

SHE ISNT AS STRONG AS SUPERMAN. &IN ANY EVENT SHE SHOULDNT BE.. IT WOULDNT FIT THE DYNAMIC OR BASIC COMMON SENSE THAT SHE IS. BUT HER STRENGTH IS NO LESS THAN 80 TON CLASS &HER COMBAT INTELLIGENCE IS BATMAN LEVEL IF NOT HIGHER THIS EQUALS BETTER THAN SUPES IN OUT &OUT VERSUS..

THING IS THE ONLY WAY KAL WOULD BEAT HER IS TO "LET LOOSE" WHICH EVEN WITH THIS NEW MORALLY AMBIGUOUS CHARACTERISATION. IS UNLIKELY IN ALMOST ANY SCENARIO.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By deaditegonzo

@xxxddd said:

@Superguy1591 said:

@Ganthetsward20: Justice League #11

@xxxddd: I'm still confused how Martian kicking the entire league's buttocks in a one on seven fight doesn't prove he's more powerful.

That was because they were holding back. And it proves that J'onn is more powerful, not stronger.

It seems you don't know the difference between the two.

It was one picture with no context, so it doesnt necessarily mean anything. Also, and this is ABC, but it does imply something at least as far as how DC holds MM, in Superman Annual, Martian Manhunter is effectively put down by a Daemonite, and it didnt even take the big guy, Helspont. For comparison, Supes stood toe to toe with Helspont as did Grifter and put up maybe a even a better fight than Supes (although the last page makes it clear Helspont was tricking Grifter). So, I still dont know if Martian Manhunter is Wonder Woman, or even Supermans peer in this universe.

@ComicMan24 said:

@deaditegonzo said:

In the new52 Superman hasnt shown any vulnerability to magic, and I believe ive read every one of his appearances so far, including crossovers. Right now, to say he is vulnerable to it (never been weak to it anyway), is pure speculation for now.

Actually in the first issue of Justice League Dark, when he, Wonder Woman and Cyborg went to that house that the insane Enchantress was and she attacked them, she managed to hurt Superman and Cyborg and WW were surprised that a magical attack managed to hurt him.

As for WW, strength-wise she hasn't done anything so far to convince me that she is as strong as Superman yet. She just needs more feats yet. And even that scene where she uses her full strength against Artemis, still was too short to be used in any debate or something.

Yeah, I remember that but it wasnt exactly definitive. I guess the most telling part is that WW WASNT being cut. So, id call it mostly confirmed I guess. I love how most of the characters on the cover look like Katy Perry. lol

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#134  Edited By Magian

@deaditegonzo: Seemed quite definite to me. And it did seem to focus more on Supes than WW and Cyborg, I guess in order to make Enchantress look more credible as a threat.

Azrael66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Azrael66

I just love how they're describing her powers. I always felt like WW needed more love, and she's definitely getting it.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By deaditegonzo

@ComicMan24:

Well and the only reason I was saying it wasnt definitive is that so far, Superman 52's durability has been hugely nerfed against most things, including Bat punches.

But, Cyborg and Superman were being cut, WW wasnt, so that probably does mean exactly what we think.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#137  Edited By Mezmero

I have actually enjoyed changing her into a demi-god in the new 52. It's a good indication of her herculean strength and durability. I also like that she uses a variety of weapons but specializes in short swords as most famous Greek heroes do. I kind of wish I knew how far or high she can actually jump since she lacks the ability of flight. Mobility seems important if you're going to be one of the trinity. She just really feels like a character that could have existed in Greek myth and I find it incredibly compelling to read. Sure there is still some confusion regarding her place in the DC timeline but I'm okay with that. Cool article.

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#138  Edited By hyperman

1. The level of her strength depends upon the writer. In some issues Wonder Woman was able to stand up to Superman or even Doomsday, while in some other issues she was defetead easily by Storm just with a thunderbolt, for instance.

I think when John Byrne ran the series Wonder Woman was portrayed as strong as Superman.

2. Hercules was a demi-god, possessing many but not all of the god-like strengths and powers of his siblings. In the Pre-Flashpoint continuity, Wonder Woman possessed the strength of the Earth itself. So now, she's a demi-god just like Hercules, I suppose she is not as strong as she used to be. Moreover, I haven't seen any great display of her powers in her own series. Well, I've seen a glimpse of that in Justice League.

3. Her lasso has not been shown in all its potential, in the Pre-Flashpoint universe, it had several uses besides compelling to tell the truth. I have seen much of that neither.

4. I'm so glad to see her flying again, I really liked how she gained this power in issue #12, and I liked her new power with the bracelets, I think it's cool, better than the magic lightning attack that she had before. We didn't see her new bracelet power in Justice League 'cos the story there was set five years before her on-going series.

5. I believe the Azarello hasn't show Wonder Woman superpowers in all their potential because he wants to show her as a skillful amazonian warrior, not as a female version of Superman.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By DarkDay

@Pokeysteve said:

@DarkDay said:

@Pokeysteve said:

Babs I love your Wonder Woman articles. In this one though I think you have "power" confused with "weapons".

I wonder why they chose pistols for Eros......

If I had to guess I'd say it's because Eros is one of the only gods that it makes sense for him to modernize as strange as it sounds. Everyone else is sort of out of business when it comes to modern followers more or less, but people still make images of Cupid or believe in his sort of love. And since Eros is his fore runner, or maybe even is him (I'm not sure how Roman/Greek gods are going to work relationship wise in DC), regardless he'd be the god to still have a sort of worship base and thus modernity.

He's synonymous with the bow and arrow. He's the one it makes the least sense for them to modernize. Especially since there's more or less a holiday built around him. I hope they include him among the Gods she encounters.

You're right about this honestly, especially the bow and arrow part. But mine was more an in universe explanation, though honestly I don't know enough about DC gods to say if belief = power for them same as gods in some popular media. But the holiday part was my point too as he'd be packing a stronger fan base as it were than his peers and maybe he saw pistols as an upgrade or maybe they actually are. Agreed about hoping she encounters him, because written well that is just going to be awesome.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#140  Edited By fables87

@Crimsonlord53 said:

Well she is a demi god now so she may just be equal to super man now.

YUP!

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#141  Edited By Pokeysteve

@DarkDay said:

@Pokeysteve said:

He's synonymous with the bow and arrow. He's the one it makes the least sense for them to modernize. Especially since there's more or less a holiday built around him. I hope they include him among the Gods she encounters.

You're right about this honestly, especially the bow and arrow part. But mine was more an in universe explanation, though honestly I don't know enough about DC gods to say if belief = power for them same as gods in some popular media. But the holiday part was my point too as he'd be packing a stronger fan base as it were than his peers and maybe he saw pistols as an upgrade or maybe they actually are. Agreed about hoping she encounters him, because written well that is just going to be awesome.

I think belief = power before the New 52 but who knows now. You're definitely right about his fan base. If they want to switch him to pistols I could get on board with that. That would be pretty cool after all haha.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By DarkDay

@Pokeysteve: Agreed. On the fence about it honestly, but from a design stand point I could see it being cool. I think characterization is gonna make it for me one way or another.

Avatar image for restrictedaccess
    RestrictedACCESS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ganthetsward20: You forget that even though she might beat Bats once.... she won't beat him a second time.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#144  Edited By Ganthetsward20

@RestrictedACCESS: She should be the new Batman. She should be the person everyone says would in every battle, she should be considered such a powerful fighter that not even Batman's forethought into the situation would merit the possibility of him winning. That it would only be by chance that he could win against her. WW is so cool and in a lot of ways I think she's cooler then Batman

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#145  Edited By EdBlank

If Superman is not the strongest then he's not Superman. She should become Superwoman and Superman should become LaserEye the Speedster or IceBreath the Flying Man. I look at it like this: Superman is the strongest Superhero becuase he's the OLDEST. In general, DC heroes are stronger becuase they are older. They are the "Gods" of Comicdom. Marvel heroes are physically weaker than DC - cause they are younger. They have their "human frailty" thing going on, so they are of interest even so. Characters that came out after all the icons (Spiderman, Hulk, Flash, GL etc...) are basically created in the image of one (or more) of the icons. "What if Superman was a bad guy by night?" "What if Batman and Superman were gay lovers?". In summary: no one should ever surpass Superman becuase he is the OG.

Avatar image for vincent_valjean
    Vincent_Valjean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Vincent_Valjean

@kathy589: I think you're confusing us with someone who actually gives a $@%^!!!

Diamondblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#147  Edited By Diamondblade

My roommate makes daily 66666 UsD. Since she's a supervillain. She don't wanna meet WW.

Superman and WW Just grabbed a battleship and forced back a tsunami with it in the Throne of atlantis. how strong she is? Like russian vodka :D

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By gokuwarrior

@hyperman: every character is victim of inconsistencies,but wonder woman has a lot of consistent feats that prove she is a big powerhouse,the fight with storm isn't cannon,wonder woman has taken much worse than storm lightnings.

ChillinNKillin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By ChillinNKillin

WW is possibly very close (especially without the bracelets), but we can't know for sure. Also we can't take what Lobdell writes down randomly as TRUE feats; he could be just trolling us.

Remember, Supes is the guy who Helspont pimp-slapped to the moon for sport and then continued to make Supes his b*tch multiple other times. So it is possible that Supes is not as strong as a lot of people are saying.

People likely more powerful/stronger: Martian, Helspont (for damn sure), Darksied (of course), H'el, and Shazam

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By gokuwarrior

@WESLEY_GIBSON: wonder woman strength level is way above 80 ton class,who do you think she is?,ms marvel?,please.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.