Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

How old was/is she?

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I heard that Post-Crisis, Pre-Flashpoint she was 27. I can't find this information anywhere though. I mean I know they won't give an exact age for Batman or Superman but they heavily suggest they're in their 30's so a ballpark guesstimate as to Diana's age would suffice.

Thanks.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@tifalockhart: No pre flashpoint t she was a couple of thousand years old. New 52 she is in her twenties the same with Superman and batman

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Holy frag on toast. She's old.

Thanks for the reply.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

She was a couple thousand years old pre 52. She's 23 now

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, did she stop aging at a certain point or is she something in Amazon years?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@tifalockhart: Well the Amazons are gifted with what I call agelessness, meaning they can be as old as you can imagine, but they will still look like they are in their prime.

I don't think Diana's age was ever confirmed pre-Flashpoint, for all we knew she could have been in her twenties, 200 years old or as suggested: 2000 years old. Though I personally suspect she was at most a century or two at most, because she still needed to have the rebellious nature of youth in order to want to leave Paradise Island.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By dshipp17

@outside_85 said:

@tifalockhart: Well the Amazons are gifted with what I call agelessness, meaning they can be as old as you can imagine, but they will still look like they are in their prime.

I don't think Diana's age was ever confirmed pre-Flashpoint, for all we knew she could have been in her twenties, 200 years old or as suggested: 2000 years old. Though I personally suspect she was at most a century or two at most, because she still needed to have the rebellious nature of youth in order to want to leave Paradise Island.

I agree with parts of this post; but, it was the pre-crisis Wonder Woman who was probably around 1500 years old, or where the Amazons could have come into existence during the age of Greek Mythology; post-crisis, the Amazons were set in the "Stone Age", than Wonder Woman was created much later, when Hippolyta had her formed from clay, while longing for a child, which could have been just before WW2; at one point, it was suggested that the Golden Age Wonder Woman was Hippolyta, making Wonder Woman post WW2, but that was changed; the post-crisis version for Wonder Woman was littered with inconsistencies; setting her age to about 23 was a response by the publishers to this question, that were being raised just prior to the Flashpoint event.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

@outside_85 said:

I agree with parts of this post; but, it was the pre-crisis Wonder Woman who was probably around 1500 years old, or where the Amazons could have come into existence during the age of Greek Mythology; post-crisis, the Amazons were set in the "Stone Age", than Wonder Woman was created much later, when Hippolyta had her formed from clay, while longing for a child, which could have been just before WW2; at one point, it was suggested that the Golden Age Wonder Woman was Hippolyta, making Wonder Woman post WW2, but that was changed; the post-crisis version for Wonder Woman was littered with inconsistencies; setting her age to about 23 was a response by the publishers to this question, that were being raised just prior to the Flashpoint event.

Wasnt all of the muddying of the timeline another contribution from Byrne's hand? I seem to remember it was during his Diana-less period we had all that stuff with Hippolyta time travelling, Donna's re-rewritten origns and something about Hippolyta becoming a soccer mom?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dshipp17

@dshipp17 said:

@outside_85 said:

Wasnt all of the muddying of the timeline another contribution from Byrne's hand? I seem to remember it was during his Diana-less period we had all that stuff with Hippolyta time travelling, Donna's re-rewritten origns and something about Hippolyta becoming a soccer mom?

Yes; in my prior post, I meant to state 1500 BC instead of 1500 years ago; 1500 BC was probably the age of Greek Mythology.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: What we usually call the Greek Antiquities where we have all the temples and stuff from is from around 500BC... 1500BC could however be a good place to put all the myth stories that we cant really place anywhere (like Themyscira's location, thats either in Turkey or in Ukraine depending on who you ask)

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Experio

Much younger than I thought.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dshipp17

@outside_85 said:

@dshipp17: What we usually call the Greek Antiquities where we have all the temples and stuff from is from around 500BC... 1500BC could however be a good place to put all the myth stories that we cant really place anywhere (like Themyscira's location, thats either in Turkey or in Ukraine depending on who you ask)

In Christianity and Judaism, 1500 BC would have been about the time of King David (e.g. David versus Goliath); if the time of King David was 1000 years before Jesus, as some claim, than 1500 BC would have been right about the time of Samson or Moses; so, assuming Greek Mythology moves closer to 500 BC than we see how Samson could have been a template for Hercules; since Samson was a template for the mythological Hercules, than we can see how Hercules seems to be more dynamic than Samson.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: Christianity has the habit of stealing other people's stories, traditions and holidays. The story of Samson is more likely based on that of Heracles like everything else seems to be other people's stuff... like the Pope/Papa and Jesus.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: Christianity has the habit of stealing other people's stories, traditions and holidays. The story of Samson is more likely based on that of Heracles like everything else seems to be other people's stuff... like the Pope/Papa and Jesus.

Highly doubtful, as the story of Samson is from one of the oldest books of the Old Testament, while, at the same time, being apart of Judaism; the Old Testament is the entirety of Judaism; Christianity is an extension of Judaism, being that Jesus was the fulfillment of Jewish prophecy; therefore, Christianity does not steal from anything; Jesus was intended to be connected with books of the Old Testament like Isaiah; the history of Samson is clearly established to be around 1500 BC so it cannot be a copy of Hercules; if you look at Samson, the man, and Hercules, the character, you can clearly tell that Hercules barrows from Samson the man, as Hercules is much more dynamic and performs more extraordinary feats, as would be expected from a created myth; actually, I'd be willing to consider that Hercules was probably created during the Roman Empire at the time it was persecuting Christians and Jews, probably as a mockery of Jewish tradition, intending to imply Roman dominance over the Jews. I do agree, however, that Christianity did assimilate some of the traditions and holidays from the Pagans, coinciding with the the spread of Christianity in foreign locations, but it's more of an issue of assimilation, not thievery; but, the Samson story is clearly apart of the Jewish tradition that became apart of Christianity; I can most assuredly state that it's Hercules that borrows from Samson, not the other way around.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By MakkyD

@outside_85: Stealing holidays? It's basic knowledge of Christian history that they took over the Pagan holidays on purpose to more easily assimilate the local culture. Your claims are pretty biased tbh.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Are you disagreeing with me or not? If I moved into your house and called it mine, I am sure you'd call that stealing.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MakkyD

@outside_85: Emm, you know the old festivals were still being celebrated at the same time? How can you steal something that's still there?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Outside_85

@maccyd: Have you noticed how China treats such things as Copyright?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Right, let's apply another example.

Ever since Israel has been took from the Jews, they've migrated all over the planet, especially into Western culture. Due to how close it is to Christmas, it has adapted some aspects of Christmas, such as present giving, to better blend in/assimilate with the Western culture.

Now according to your logic, this means Judaism has stolen Christmas...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Outside_85

@maccyd: The Bible never gives any date when the birth of Christ was, some even believe it was in Oktober.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By primebonnick

yes she was over 1000 in pre 52 but now as a demi god she is 23.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

23 is way too young. I always assumed she was supposed to look like she was 28 in the pre flashpoint comics. I don't think it really matters how old she is, but I would be curious as to how old she was when she first left the island.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm older than her. Ugh...

Avatar image for wonderwomanfan8
    WonderWomanFan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So she's 23...She's my age...I've always thought of her as being in her mid to late twenties...

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@tifalockhart: She was a few thousand years old, until her origin was reset to 23.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By timelord

@tifalockhart: she is 23 and Supergirl is 16 so far I think there only ones who been given an age.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.