Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

How does Wonder Woman make money in "mans world"

FlagSister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FlagSister

I am curious. It seems like most superheros have a way to make a living outside of being a superhero

Superman is a Reporter

Batman owns a company

Green Lantern Pilot

Flash scientist

Spiderman photographer

Wolverine Drifter

ETC ETC

So what does Wonder Woman do in her spare time when not being Wonder Woman. How does she earn a living. Who does she collect paychecks from. Does anyone know? I know she was once an ambassador but with the changes in the new 52 that is not possible and besides as ambassador is only a title for her which does not pay.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

She's an ambassador, last I checked.

I'm probably hilariously wrong.

FlagSister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FlagSister

@InnerVenom123 said:

She's an ambassador, last I checked.

I'm probably hilariously wrong.

Yeah I know the ambassador part but as a ambassador her pay checks would have to come from Theymisciara I don't think she got paid for being an ambassador. And now with the new 52 Wonder Woman it would be impossible for her to be an ambassador for Thyemisciara.

Have you heard any other way she makes money?

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Primmaster64

LOL the tiltle in funny. But yeah what Venom said.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I thought she worked as a government agent or something? Agent Diana Prince

FlagSister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FlagSister

@The Stegman said:

Nah that's from the old TV show not the comics

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

When I saw the title I started thinking-

No Caption Provided

What? No I was just thinking that shes an ambassador..........and some other stuff

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @FlagSister:  

@The Stegman said:

No, it's from the comics too 

FlagSister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FlagSister

@The Stegman said:

@FlagSister:

@The Stegman said:

No, it's from the comics too

Batman was involved in getting her that job and it only lasted a few issues she was basically under cover. I was hoping there was something more consistent throughout her history since 1986 after infinite crisis. Something that defines her like Superman as Clark Kent the reporter. But thanks I forgot about this.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @FlagSister: what do you mean? it stayed in effect for years, she worked as Agent Prince every since she snapped Maxwell Lord's neck since it went public and her role as Ambassador went south. Matter of fact, it happened all the way up to Amazons Attack, probably longer
    wonderW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wonderW

Diana Prince  works in military intelligence  Steve Trevor got her the job. she always did the TV show got that from the golden age.  
    Silver & Bronze Ages she was  Agent Prince.  Diana Prince identity was created to become a military intelligence officer, winning the opportunity after competing against several women in a contest of skills, but in others Diana Prince was first a nurse who then followed Steve to military intelligence.  

Post-Crisis she he had no secret identity and lived openly as an Amazon in everyday life and lived on the Island.  Wonder Woman is a 25ish year old compassionate caring, stubborn, opinionated, highly competitive immortal Amazon Warrior Woman with superhuman powers given to her by the GODs. She has no secret identity and the whole world knows who she is. She is extremely popular and well liked. She has an agent who schedules and handles all her media engagements. She authorized her likeness to be used in a line of Wonder Woman dolls and also made deals for a Wonder Woman comic about her life. She even approved the making of a Wonder Woman movie. Her main source of income is from her merchandising however she also collects paycheck from the Justice League of America as a member. She is for the most part indifferent about her popularity in the media. She has also worked in a fast food restaurant and done other odd jobs. She eventually became and ambassador to Theymiscara. 

But over the years she as always work with the government thanks to  Steve Trevor working with the  military and he helped her live in mans world.     

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WDW

@The Stegman said:

@FlagSister: what do you mean? it stayed in effect for years, she worked as Agent Prince every since she snapped Maxwell Lord's neck since it went public and her role as Ambassador went south. Matter of fact, it happened all the way up to Amazons Attack, probably longer

@FlagSister: Wonder Woman volume 3 ( 2008 to 2010) she was a government agent Meta Human Affairs and spent a lot of time looking for Wonder Woman :P and in Volume 2 (1986 to 2007) she was an ambassador however she probably did not get paid as an ambassador.

What remains consistent over her entire history post crisis is that she makes money as a public figure as established by the Post Crisis PEREZ reboot in 1986. Her agent has made deals for a line of Wonder Woman dolls, toys, comic-books and movies. Some writers make use of this fact others do not touch on it but it has been going on in the background consistently.

After she snapped Maxwell lords neck it could be argued that her merchandise sales and public engagements all dried up in the UNITED STATES so she needed another source of income and joined the department of meta human affairs. However there is nothing to indicate that her merchandising ever stopped completely and as a matter of fact towards the end of Vol 3 it is referenced that she indeed does still have an agent who handles all her toy deals and money she makes as a public figure.

The in the NEW 52 Wonder Woman I am betting she still makes most of her money as a public figure and has an agent ETC since it makes the most sense.

@wonderW: But over the years she as always work with the government thanks to Steve Trevor working with the military and he helped her live in mans world.

Post Crisis. I am pretty sure she was never employed by the military or the government outside of Working for the Department of meta human affairs. and it was Batman that created the Diana Prince Identity or helped her with it. However Steve Trevor did help her get her passports and get settled in "mans world" when she first arrived.

FlagSister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FlagSister

@WDW said:

What remains consistent over her entire history post crisis is that she makes money as a public figure as established by the Post Crisis PEREZ reboot in 1986. Her agent has made deals for a line of Wonder Woman dolls, toys, comic-books and movies. Some writers make use of this fact others do not touch on it but it has been going on in the background consistently.

That's interesting and kind of makes a lot of sense if Wonder Woman does not use a secret identity. I really don't like the whole government agent thing. I just don't see how or why an Amazon Princess raised on an island of Women would somehow want to be tied down working for the government. Wonder Woman seems more like a free spirit to me. I mean whats her motivation for having a secret identity anyway?

I seen the Lynda Carter episodes it did not even make sense for her to have a secret identity in the first place. Its not like she has a love interest to protect or something like that. I would think and Amazon would be proud and not hide her heritage.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jorgevy

why does everyone think you dont get paid to be an ambassador?

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WDW

@Jorgevy said:

why does everyone think you dont get paid to be an ambassador?

Ambassadors get paid by the county they represent. Diana is representing paradise island Theymisciara. I am sure Theymisciara does not pay her for her status as ambassador since the Amazons don't really have a monetary system. Her income/spending money must come from some place else

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jorgevy

@WDW: but she could be paid by the US government for being Themysciara's ambassador and representitive, being such a particular case

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By ReVamp

@Jorgevy said:

@WDW: but she could be paid by the US government for being Themysciara's ambassador and representitive, being such a particular case

But that would be speculating.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jorgevy

@ReVamp: actually, it's an idea I got from some representatives in foreign affairs, but yeah, Im not sure if that's the case at all.

anyway, she doesnt seem to have any "jobs" per se, except for the agent thing

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JohnnyGat

She probably pawns trinkets from Amazon Island.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WDW

@Jorgevy said:

Yeah anything is possible but it just creates more problems if you ask me. Like why is there only one Theymiscara embassy and why is it only based in the United States why not London? or Nigeria?. What does Wonder Woman actually do as an ambassador to an island of only 3000 female amazon warriors who are isolationists. What is the benefit the US gets if they decide to pay her. Also normally if she is a Theymisciara ambassador for the US. Then Theymiscara would have to allow The United States to build and embassy on Theymisciara.

Also in the DCnU (I dont want to include any spoilers) but I will just say it is impossible for her to be an ambassador given the situation.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jorgevy

@WDW: yeah in the DCnU is impossible right now for that to happen, but when I said ambassador, I was seeing more in the role of ambassador to the world, not strictly to the US. Like, if they need anything related to Themysciara or of that sorts, they'd call her, she would be the one to deal with it. Not as in, country 2 country ambassadors.

also, you can just hide the spoilers in the comments

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WDW

@FlagSister said:

@WDW said:

That's interesting and kind of makes a lot of sense if Wonder Woman does not use a secret identity. I really don't like the whole government agent thing. I just don't see how or why an Amazon Princess raised on an island of Women would somehow want to be tied down working for the government. Wonder Woman seems more like a free spirit to me. I mean whats her motivation for having a secret identity anyway?

I seen the Lynda Carter episodes it did not even make sense for her to have a secret identity in the first place. Its not like she has a love interest to protect or something like that. I would think and Amazon would be proud and not hide her heritage.

Have you ever seen David E Kelley’s Wonder Woman Pilot? I know people hated it but I really liked that he went with the public figure Wonder Woman.(Like in the Perez Run) I liked the fact that she finances her superhero activities by using a company to market her trademark merchandise. It really ties her into the World and opens doors to more drama.

It is the only take on Wonder Woman which does not require the help of Steve Trevor, Batman, or the justice league to find a career or make money. She is completely self-made which is appropriate and her success depends on her popularity and approval rating around the world.

Wonder Woman as a secret government agent is really uncharacteristic and ads no value that's my opinion

Wonder Woman as an ambassador is a cool concept but she is ambassador to an all female island that nobody can really visit. The Amazons keep to themselves anyway. Wonder Woman really would have nothing to do. I think of it as an honorary title which may allow certain privileges like diplomatic immunity.

@Jorgevy:

Yeah I get what you mean and I like the title of ambassador but I always thought of it as an honorary title more than an actual 9 to 5 job she would have outside of being Wonder Woman. She really would not have much to do. And I don't see why anyone would pay her to be an ambassador to the world.

Based on what I have read in Wonder Woman comics her real source of steady income is from being a public figure which lead to numerous deals to market trademarked Wonder Woman merchandise around the world. Her agent basically handles all of it and she is free to do whatever she wants.

FlagSister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FlagSister

@WDW said:

Have you ever seen David E Kelley’s Wonder Woman Pilot? I know people hated it but I really liked that he went with the public figure Wonder Woman.(Like in the Perez Run) I liked the fact that she finances her superhero activities by using a company to market her trademark merchandise. It really ties her into the World and opens doors to more drama.

It is the only take on Wonder Woman which does not require the help of Steve Trevor, Batman, or the justice league to find a career or make money. She is completely self-made which is appropriate and her success depends on her popularity and approval rating around the world.

Wonder Woman as a secret government agent is really uncharacteristic and ads no value that's my opinion

Wonder Woman as an ambassador is a cool concept but she is ambassador to an all female island that nobody can really visit. The Amazons keep to themselves anyway. Wonder Woman really would have nothing to do. I think of it as an honorary title which may allow certain privileges like diplomatic immunity.

I kind of enjoyed the pilot. It did need some work but I liked the ideas in the TV show as well

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Onemoreposter

She strips.

YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By YoggSaron

She worked at Taco Bell.

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#26  Edited By StarKiller809

The last real job that she has was at the DEO in Washington D.C. as Diana Prince. Batman got her the job to keep a close eye on their research on super humans. Post-FlashPoint; I don't know what her job is...

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By htb106

I geuss Steve Trevor gives her money for living and food.

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hatutzeraze

She makes it the old-fashioned way, with an invisible printing press.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By justice teen

she works for the gov thanks to batman, i think she works with the department of meta human affairs, but as for the new 52 idk..

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WDW

This is the problem with Wonder Woman right now. She has no real character development. No life outside of being Wonder Woman. That's why its so hard to do a TV show or a movie about her. Hopefully the DCnU will change that

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Zdaybreak

If I could live a life that just allowed me to serve as a superhero, that would be more than awesome. I see no reason for Diana to need any other job other than being a hero.

She's probably cared for by the U.S. government in the DCnU. Or some other source of wealth.

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By herrweis

if im not mistaken didnt she get a stippend from themiscara..as in when her and donna got that apt on 5th avenue.she also got $ from merchandising and a check from the jla membership.and Then she got that job with the government.but new 52 who the hell knows.im sure pre dcnu the amazons had a way to supply her with money.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#33  Edited By BatWatch

Excellent question. I have no idea.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By brettjett

@FlagSister: She first made money working for the US military as a nurse, then an assistant to a colonel. But otherwise, she could very well use some precious coins or stones or artifacts from her Amazonian/Ancient Greek heritage. Those things are worth thousands to millions.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.