Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

How do you like the current WW run?

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll How do you like the current WW run? (38 votes)

I love it 11%
    It's okay 32%
    Hate it 55%

Personally i stopped reading because i hated so many of the choices

• 
    Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I was pretty torn on it each issue up to Convergence. I thought WW's voice was inconsistent, both w/in the title and from other DCU titles she appeared in. I thought she was too whiny and there was some dialog that seemed aimed at 8 year olds (which there's nothing wrong w/, just not for me).

Ultimately, I intend to drop it come next month.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I miss Brian Azarello's WW.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3 Straight-Fire  Online

I'm totes liking it.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I stopped reading at like 38, wasn't a fan of the art and the dialogue was pretty bad imo

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty meh

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

I decided to switch to trades so I haven't read any of it yet. I doubt it can be much worse then Azzarello though.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided to switch to trades so I haven't read any of it yet. I doubt it can be much worse then Azzarello though.

Then you will be unpleasantly surprised. Not only didn't Lady Finch jettison the stuff the Wonder Woman purists hate about the new 52, she added more bad stuff. It's one of those you can't love or love to hate, you just patiently wait it out

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria said:

Then you will be unpleasantly surprised. Not only didn't Lady Finch jettison the stuff the Wonder Woman purists hate about the new 52, she added more bad stuff. It's one of those you can't love or love to hate, you just patiently wait it out

how is that possible?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

You are in for a nasty surprise then.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how is that possible?

I think that once you finally come to terms with Wonder Woman's rebirth as the offspring of Zeus brought up in a nation of good-for-nothing female barbarians, you'll see that Azzarello had the best take on this post-relaunch incarnation of Wonder Woman while M.Finch is contending with Soule for the wooden spoon.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By dshipp17

The first issue of this run had great promise, but, than the Finch(es) started writing a continuation of the Azzarello run ever since. This is not to say anything about the Azzarello run one way or the other, I was just expecting a completely different take on the character, and their first issue lead me to believe that it would happen. There's still a chance to back up to their first issue and make their own take on the character. The Finch(es), and everyone who writers Wonder Woman in other places like Justice League, need to introduce Dr. Psycho as a Wonder Woman villain. I definitely would like them to close out the current story arc as soon as next issue and at least take a different direction, if not introduce Dr. Psycho; I want them to scrap plans to introduce a new villain and go back to Wonder Woman's villains and modernize them; the only villain that has not had such exposure so far, relative to Wonder Woman, is Dr. Psycho, so start with him.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

The first issue of this run had great promise, but, than the Finch(es) started writing a continuation of the Azzarello run ever since. This is not to say anything about the Azzarello run one way or the other, I was just expecting a completely different take on the character, and their first issue lead me to believe that it would happen. There's still a chance to back up to their first issue and make their own take on the character. The Finch(es), and everyone who writers Wonder Woman in other places like Justice League, need to introduce Dr. Psycho as a Wonder Woman villain. I definitely would like them to close out the current story arc as soon as next issue and at least take a different direction, if not introduce Dr. Psycho; I want them to scrap plans to introduce a new villain and go back to Wonder Woman's villains and modernize them; the only villain that has not had such exposure so far, relative to Wonder Woman, is Dr. Psycho, so start with him.

DC already introduced Dr Psycho in Superboy, he's some pissed off telepathic teenager with a bald head covered in scars. And there was no mention of his famous misogyny. It was pretty terribad.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By dshipp17

@rdclip said:
    @dshipp17 said:

DC already introduced Dr Psycho in Superboy, he's some pissed off telepathic teenager with a bald head covered in scars. And there was no mention of his famous misogyny. It was pretty terribad.

I know he's already been introduced in Superboy and I made a whole post about it in the Wonder Woman's Joker or Lex Luthor thread, but I don't know all the details of Dr. Psycho's new background. He was also briefly introduced in Justice League where there might have been a connection to Wonder Woman, along with a possible misogyny background. My point was that he needs to be introduced in an interaction with Wonder Woman, preferably in her own book.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: you might be right because im still not over the zeus/evil!amazon storyline at all

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh, you'd be surprised ... bad dialog, inconsistent art and cliche storyline ... it's a hattrick of crap

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon: one of the few times she punched someone in the series! Normally she just threw them around because it was more ladylike :)

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tigerkaya

Its the equivalent of dog crap.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this run waaaay better than Azzarello's. Sure Meredith has kept everything I hated about his, but it's a lot more centric to Wonder Woman and her world. There's not umpteen flashier characters crowding her out of her own book. The story focuses on superhero adventure, more than a warrior's quest, for the most part and the art while terribly inconsistent still is better than Chiang's. I've also been genuinely surprised by some of the turn of events, like the First Born revelation, the Hippolyta soup mix that created Donna Troy and the slaughtering of the male Amazons. As hard as it was to watch, they had to go. Paradise Island should only be for women, even if they are man hating, backstabbing harpies and it doesn't look quite as primitive as it did in Azzarello's run. At least we have the Greek columns and Donna Troy back.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this run waaaay better than Azzarello's. Sure Meredith has kept everything I hated about his, but it's a lot more centric to Wonder Woman and her world. There's not umpteen flashier characters crowding her out of her own book. The story focuses on superhero adventure, more than a warrior's quest, for the most part and the art while terribly inconsistent still is better than Chiang's. I've also been genuinely surprised by some of the turn of events, like the First Born revelation, the Hippolyta soup mix that created Donna Troy and the slaughtering of the male Amazons. As hard as it was to watch, they had to go. Paradise Island should only be for women, even if they are man hating, backstabbing harpies and it doesn't look quite as primitive as it did in Azzarello's run. At least we have the Greek columns and Donna Troy back.

I'd rather Donna Troy stay gone than have this version.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's fine, hopefully you won't think that after her redemption arc.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:

I hope Wonder Woman wraps her lasso around her and set her on fire like she did to Martian Manhunter. The Fishes has ruined a character that could've been great.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Agent_Z

Not a fan.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's fine, hopefully you won't think that after her redemption arc.

if redemption = retcon ... maybe ... otherwise I'm going to struggle with her being a mass murderer.

@csg_cl said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:

I hope Wonder Woman wraps her lasso around her and set her on fire like she did to Martian Manhunter. The Fishes has ruined a character that could've been great.

agreed ... Donna deserved better ... even the Wally fans must be thinking "wow, it CAN be worse"

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

I've been having mixed emotions. It feels like for every amazing issue there is a terrible one. I don't like seeing Diana complain so much. I hate having to see the Justice League in almost every issue. She's a strong independent woman who don't need no league! I do prefer the artwork but even then sometimes it looks too strange. I do enjoy the concept and the direction of were the book is going but I don't like the way it's getting there. The dialogue seems really forced and lazy but once again the idea behind it seems great. Ugh, why can't they get a co.writer or maybe just a different writer.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Donna gets some sense knocked into her i'll like it. Until then, meh.

Avatar image for mollydanger2210
    MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never even bothered to continue after the end of Azzarello and Chiang's run, I already knew that anything coming after them, if not taken up by another inspired duo, is just going to be throw away garbage.

From the looks of things I'm not wrong.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I despise it. The dialogue is subpar and the art.. well you know.. her facial expression when was fighting that alien though..

I still buy just to see where this trainwreck is going.. plus I don't really read/nor do I have a lot of money for other comics so WW it is.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still better than Azz. Same sh!t, but at least it happens a lot faster.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

David's art has become better by the issues, but still not what I like. And with what I have heard about the annual the writing isn't better.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:

if by faster you mean truncated and half-@ssed then I agree!

No Caption Provided

GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a roller coaster. One issue was good then the next bad then the next was good again. I liked the Annual but I'm not sure if I'm willing to continue the title. I'll give the new creative team another chance and hope the writing gets better and the art stays consistent with the job done on the annual.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @hawk80 said:

No Caption Provided

I can understand people not liking Azzarello's run since he did something new and unfamiliar with fans. To think the Finches' atrocious that they call creativity was any better is a different story.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a roller coaster. One issue was good then the next bad then the next was good again. I liked the Annual but I'm not sure if I'm willing to continue the title. I'll give the new creative team another chance and hope the writing gets better and the art stays consistent with the job done on the annual.

You liked the annual, I didn't think that was possible tbh, and how can the art stay consistent when it's always been inconsistent...

GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gustavoburciaga1 said:

You liked the annual, I didn't think that was possible tbh, and how can the art stay consistent when it's always been inconsistent...

Say what you will but the art is an improvement from Chiang's 2 dimensional and minimalist work. Seriously Azz carried the team on that run. And that's why I said "hope". Quite frankly I'd rather have someone like Brian Buccellato writing and Andy Kubert doing art on the book for a long term. But the Finchs aren't doing a terrible job on the book and I think they could improve.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hawk80

Finches aren't doing anything better than Azz and yes, it's truncated and half-@ssed, but I would take fast cr@p over slow cr@p any day of the week.

But I have two things to say about the Finches:

1) I'm not a great fan of the art (ranges from nice to atrocious), but at least it's not Chiang (coloring book art... sorry, he's not bad, but I don't like his 2D, minimalist, blocky art... only thing I like are postures).

2) They are bad for a number of deserved reasons, but they just founded their cr@p on the cr@p Azz served them and weren't experienced/talented enough to do any better.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CSG_CL

@hawk80 said:

Finches aren't doing anything better than Azz and yes, it's truncated and half-@ssed, but I would take fast cr@p over slow cr@p any day of the week.

But I have two things to say about the Finches:

1) I'm not a great fan of the art (ranges from nice to atrocious), but at least it's not Chiang (coloring book art... sorry, he's not bad, but I don't like his 2D, minimalist, blocky art... only thing I like are postures).

2) They are bad for a number of deserved reasons, but they just founded their cr@p on the cr@p Azz served them and weren't experienced/talented enough to do any better.

My problem with the Finchs is that they've regressed the story rather than moved it forward. Azzarello wasn't for everyone, you don't like him so I'm not going to even attempt to discuss it with you, but he did leave the solo series pretty wide open ... tabula rasa so to speak ... the Finchs could have done just about anything they wanted to with their run, they chose to take a path that deconstructed the Amazon's and made Diana a whiney little girl. Blaming Azzarello for their poor choices is ridiculous.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @hawk80 said:

No Caption Provided

I can understand people not liking Azzarello's run since he did something new and unfamiliar with fans. To think the Finches' atrocious that they call creativity was any better is a different story.

I liked the story, didn't love all the elements, but it was entertaining for me. I do find it highly amusing that so many people want to blame Azzarello for all things bad about WW ... he's not the devil folks, just a writer who wanted to tell a specific story and had the clout to get his way. I wish we had more of that kind of freedom ... I loved that WW solo series wasn't dragged in every crossover and lame editorial event for 3 years! Kept the flow of the book clean and easy to read and follow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: The story was definitely good. The elements weren't really there but I am fine with it. Azzarello isn't the direct problem but he accidentally (emphasis on that) set Wonder Woman up for other writers to have her all over the place. I do prefer to have more freedom in the writing than to do something that is forced though. He was really the only one that kept focus on her story rather than outside stories.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: The story was definitely good. The elements weren't really there but I am fine with it. Azzarello isn't the direct problem but he accidentally (emphasis on that) set Wonder Woman up for other writers to have her all over the place. I do prefer to have more freedom in the writing than to do something that is forced though. He was really the only one that kept focus on her story rather than outside stories.

I also enjoyed the simplified art of Chiang/Sodzuko ... admittedly that took some time to appreciate, but once I got into it I really find myself missing it! Probably why I liked the second story in the Annual more than the first.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@scorpio_cassadine: I'm far too tired of redemption stories to even look at this one. Redemption seems to be the go-to storyline for just about everyone these days. So far in this series and the last one I've come to the conclusion that DC just doesn't like the amazons and they aren't too fond of Donna either. Reminds me of Amazon's Attack. The only difference between this run and Azzarello's run is the body count. I'd rather have the title canceled than see Donna and the amazon's continue slaughtering their way through innocents.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.