How Come They Don't Make Another Wonder Woman Animated Movie?

#1 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

The live action is rather jumbled for now, but curious why they don't just make another animated one. Considering it only made 500K less than Batman:Gotham Knight, got good reviews and units sold it's quite odd. Any ideas o-o

#2 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

It's because they think that it won't sell as well as the ones with batman and superman or the justice league. The reason for this is varied but the main reasons it didn't sell as well were for the following reasons, many were not fans of Wonder Woman and weren't going to give it a go, a lot of people (including yours truly )have seen some truly awful female superhero films and were not about to fork out money to sit through another one, some were reluctant and just waited for the reviews in order to see if it was safe which took a while and other people just simply didn't know about it. It made more money than the green lantern film that came out later, but the reason he got another film was simply to cash in on the live action film and same goes for the reason that he got an animated show( which I've also enjoyed but sadly its being cancelled). The only way they would be willing to make a sequel would either be to cash in on a live action film or a successful animated show(like mask of the phantasm was for B:tas).

#3 Posted by Black_Claw (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

Forget an animated film, right now I'm wondering why the higher ups at DC won't get off their asses and give us a live action theatrical Wonder Woman film.

#4 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Because of money. They believe that they cannot sell a Wonder Woman . . . . anything.

#5 Edited by ww234re (40 posts) - - Show Bio

#6 Posted by ww234re (40 posts) - - Show Bio

#7 Posted by RisingBean (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they are too busy making only Batman and Superman animated flicks.

#8 Posted by Evil Incarnate (3659 posts) - - Show Bio

While she's recognizable, Wonder Woman isn't commercial it's about money.

#9 Edited by kapitein_zeppos (341 posts) - - Show Bio

It had very slow sales, which in the eyes of WB means "box office failure" since they only count the money right after release and everything else is conveniently ignored. The crazy thing is that if a film does well right after release and then drops off completely making less money, it's still deemed a hit ...

#10 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

It had very slow sales, which in the eyes of WB means "box office failure" since they only count the money right after release and everything else is conveniently ignored. The crazy thing is that if a film does well right after release and then drops off completely making less money, it's still deemed a hit ...

Yeah, there isn't a lot of long term outlook with these things. Shame, it's such a great movie.

#11 Edited by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Women is part of female action hero conundrum. My opinion is that Most males think buying into a female character seems unmanly or uncool. While most female think action heroes are more of a male-thing in general.

What adds to this is that while, some people grow out of that mentality, a lot also grow out of comics and cartoons at the same time.

#12 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@skewer: the first wonder woman movie was a comercial success,it's DC fourth best selling animated movie.

#13 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@evil_incarnate:

the first wonder woman movie was a comercial success,it's DC fourth best selling animated movie

#14 Posted by Veshark (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

They should, the first one was superb. Wonder Woman is probably my favorite DC Original Movie.

#15 Posted by veronicacris (110 posts) - - Show Bio

@evil_incarnate:

the first wonder woman movie was a comercial success,it's DC fourth best selling animated movie

I think the sales were slower than other animated movies, it's the problem

#16 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12418 posts) - - Show Bio

right now I'm wondering why the higher ups at DC won't get off their asses and give us a live action theatrical Wonder Woman film.

this.

#17 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@veronicacris: wonder woman movie sold more than other movies,almost as much as the 2 green lantern movies put together,wonder woman is one of DC 10 best selling animated movies.

#18 Posted by SNascimento (438 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, according to Wikipedia WW movie sold a lot and made 7.5 million dollars. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse made 6.2, in comparisson. And Superman Doomsday which is Number 1 made 9.5.

#19 Posted by lorex (939 posts) - - Show Bio

DC to me just seems like they are so concerned with supporting the big movie properties they are afraid of produce any animation projects that do not have Batmen or Superman in it. As others have said the Wonder Woman animated movie was one of their more successful animated titles. I think there is a market for another Wonder Woman animated movie and perhaps more (ahem live action) but DC is too scared to consider it and is delaying any decisions until after the new Superman movie comes out.

#20 Posted by theOVOXO (94 posts) - - Show Bio

I think DC should make new animated shows and reboot the animated universe. The shows would be Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, and Teen Titans. Instead of focusing on a younger audience, they should aim it at a mature audience just like how BTAS and JLAS had some mature elements to it. Also put the shows on the CW instead of CN(cause they cancel shows because the toys don't sell*YJ and GL*).

#21 Posted by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that it might happen eventually, but it's more than likely because of the Justice League Movie, which will feature Wonder Woman.

#22 Edited by MPfly88 (103 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman is the 4th best selling DC Animated movie. Yes it's sales started out slow when it first released but it eventually picked up and climbed to the number 4 spot. This proves Wonder Woman is profitable, they just need to start actually trying and get her out there. They're just afraid to. It's a real shame too since Wonder Woman is one of the best films in the DCAU. Hopefully if a live action movie starts to get made, that will encourage them to make another animated movie.

#23 Posted by judasnixon (6101 posts) - - Show Bio

Because I really want one and I never get what want.........

#24 Posted by Muffin_Sangria (494 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see them do an adaption of "A Star in the Heavens". It was only a two comic story but I bet you could flesh it out to full length. Basically it's about Wonder Woman going to Hollywood to consult on a film that's being made about her. Everything that could go wrong with a Wonder Woman film was put in the film being made. Then there was a side story about the about the Queen of Fables attacking. If you've never heard of her she's a pretty awesome villain. If you've ever played Wold of Darkness she's pretty much a True Fae. So Wonder Woman takes down the Queen of Fables then shuts down the movie.

#25 Posted by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, if they can make more off Superman, Batman, and JLA, that where they focus their efforts! I'm sure they will do more down the road though?

#26 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

As much crap as Azzarello's run gets, why the hell is that animated movie held in high regard. Diana is horribly out of character in it and comes off as some idiot's moronic preconceptions of the character

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.