Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Hippolyta's Baby Daddy

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

I know it has been talked about elsewhere and I am never one for discussing future developments in comics (I prefer to read them as they come- that having been said there are spoilers ahead) but I suppose as someone who knows a fair bit about Wonder Woman that I should let me own thoughts be known on the revelation that Zeus is in fact her father. I will break this down into pros and cons:

Pros

1. This is a story which I have being saying for some time needs to be told. There are a lot of potentially great Wonder Woman stories out there waiting to be told, and I think that this one in addition to her finding a meaningful romantic interest are two of the major stories which could be told. In that I am happy that this story is now going to get told.

2. Another one of the great missed stories in Wonder Woman I always felt was Diana as goddess (this was during the John Byrne run.) This new development will give a new dynamic with the gods, more as equals as opposed to superiors.

3. I think by putting more of a male approach into the Amazons that a lot of the negative associations which they get (accusations of being lesbians chiefly among them) will mostly dissipate. It will no longer be possible to reference some obscure panel from the 1980s to show that all Amazons are lesbians.

Cons

1. A lot of great stories now become non-canon, including one of my favourite story arcs, the Challenge of the Gods (well this actually isn't the case, but one scene would lead itself to incest- but then again it is Zeus.)

2. It is not that closely related to any mythology either. The Gallilean satellites of Jupiter (yes I am talking about astronomy again - Callisto, Io, Europa and Gannymede) are so named because of Zeus' relations with them (which were not always consensual.) Regardless there is no Hippolyta moon on Jupiter and that's because there was never a reason to. I don't mind so much updating mythology, but when there is such an overwhelming amount of canon in comics and myths from antiquity which support a claim then there is less reason to back it up.

3. The imposition of a father figure fundamentally alters Wonder Woman's history. This is not so much of a problem (I never really liked the shaped from clay idea) but one of the best Wonder Woman stories is her emergence from the Cavern of Souls. While this is not as prominent an aspect of her origin as it is relatively more modern (from the Perez run) it is maybe not seemingly as important, but in comparison it would be the equivalent of saying Superman did not escape from an exploding Krypton or that Batman was not born in Crime Alley.

That is a horrible pickup line, and now to add to it would constitute incest
     That is a horrible pickup line, and now to add to it would constitute incest

One which I am not yet sure of is the association with Zeus. It does fit his profile, but it also seems like an easier story to tell. Another god might have been more interesting, but I am going to give the writer the benefit of the doubt and read the story before I actually judge the choice.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By fodigg

I think you should add one more to your "pro" list. Her backstory is now INCREDIBLY easy to explain to people: "Wonder Woman is the female Hercules."

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Primmaster64

Cool

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Izaiah

May I suggest a spoiler warning?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck

I gave a bad feeling about this. But we'll see how it goes.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

I disagree! Lesbian panel is canon until its factually and clearly observed to be not canon. Dare I say someone might have hang ups about lesbians perhaps... *eyebrow raise* oh, oh awwwh the Astronomy angle is so friggen awesome lol Why update mythology when like.. I'm sure they'd be one Wonder Woman fan out there in a position to update Astronomy... but yah, very cool point that has been overlooked. I agree with fodigg's point as well. Great blog!  

I am neither here or there on the decision myself. Are apprehensive. Sort of liked the clay angle, well, I always took it more as a metaphor despite what could be argued and yeah sort of the same as far as Cavern of Souls story. Will be interesting anyway. Not like they can't just reboot/retcon anyway... 

Delete me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Delete me

WW will have big changes and this bothers me, a lot of questions keep popping in my head like who created the amazons in this continuity? The part of her getting her powers from the goddessess is probably erase since the whole clay thing didnt happened what will be their role on the new WW will they be friend or foe? WW now is the daughter of Zeus does it make WW and achilles brother and sister.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

one of your cons isn't true while she isn't made of clay she was told she was made of clay her entire life (they said they lied to her) so storys revolving around that are still canon as long as they just talk about her being clay opposed to her actually doing...clay....things
    Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Sinestro2828

@fodigg said:

I think you should add one more to your "pro" list. Her backstory is now INCREDIBLY easy to explain to people: "Wonder Woman is the female Hercules."

Agreed, the idea of her being the Demigod daughter of the Amazon Queen Hippolyta and the King of the Gods himself, to me, sounds alot cooler than "She was made from clay," and opens up all sorts of possibilities for stories involving her Olympian side of the family, whether it be her seeking out Zeus for something important or a MUCH more heated rivalry with Aries now that the two of them are brother and sister. Wonderwoman as a female Hercules just sounds like a more epic origin than before, elevates her status as one of DC's biggest powerhouses. She's a DEMIGODDESS now, that's just kickass! >8D

Evil_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Evil_Dog

@Sinestro2828 said:

@fodigg said:

Agreed, the idea of her being the Demigod daughter of the Amazon Queen Hippolyta and the King of the Gods himself, to me, sounds alot cooler than "She was made from clay," and opens up all sorts of possibilities for stories involving her Olympian side of the family, whether it be her seeking out Zeus for something important or a MUCH more heated rivalry with Aries now that the two of them are brother and sister. Wonderwoman as a female Hercules just sounds like a more epic origin than before, elevates her status as one of DC's biggest powerhouses. She's a DEMIGODDESS now, that's just kickass! >8D

Should not happen giving her daddy issues like that would ruin the whole independent woman thing. The book so far is interesting.

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sinestro2828

@Evil_Dog said:

@Sinestro2828 said:

@fodigg said:

Should not happen giving her daddy issues like that would ruin the whole independent woman thing. The book so far is interesting.

Sorry, I didn't mean she should go ask him to fight her battles for her or anything lame like that (she's Wonder Woman, she's got super powers AND was trained Amazons, she can handle herself), just meant that maybe someday a crisis will emerge in which she has no choice but to confront "daddy dearest" in order to solve the problem or learn more about it (if it had something to do with the Olympians or something along those lines). Given Zeus's "colorful" history in the old myths, I'm not expecting Diana to warm up to someone's who's like the most infamous womanizer in Greek history, dude sleeps with everyone & probably has more illegitimate kiddies than there are stars in the sky XD

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By super_psycho
    @Sinestro2828 said:

probably has more illegitimate kiddies than there are stars in the sky XD

lol
    gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gravitypress

How is being a lesian a negative? If they are they are. That wouldn't be a shocker. If there are no men they would have to find an outlet for desire. I wouldn't see the need to go into great detail in the comic though.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By lorex

I am not a big fan of the DC reboot, relaunch, call it what you will. That being said if there was one character that could benefit from uncluttering their backstory it is Wonder Woman.

Evil_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Evil_Dog

@Sinestro2828 said:

@Evil_Dog said:

@Sinestro2828 said:

@fodigg said:

Sorry, I didn't mean she should go ask him to fight her battles for her or anything lame like that (she's Wonder Woman, she's got super powers AND was trained Amazons, she can handle herself), just meant that maybe someday a crisis will emerge in which she has no choice but to confront "daddy dearest" in order to solve the problem or learn more about it (if it had something to do with the Olympians or something along those lines). Given Zeus's "colorful" history in the old myths, I'm not expecting Diana to warm up to someone's who's like the most infamous womanizer in Greek history, dude sleeps with everyone & probably has more illegitimate kiddies than there are stars in the sky XD

She would have better stories now just don't make her beg Zeus for help like a helpless girl or she should get daddies approval on her decisions and the worst proving herself to Zeus she is worthy to be her daughter(Thor and Herc).

CodeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By CodeSaint

@fodigg said:

Now she just need an Asian sidekick that's the 7th smartest person on the planet.

Sorry I had to say that.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Incest has NEVER been a problem for Zeus. He's gotten it on with his daughters, nieces, granddaughters, grandnieces, you name it.

And I agree with the other posters, this makes her backstory FAR easier and sane to explain. People give me strange looks whenever I explain to them that 'Wonder Woman was made from clay." Never made much sense to me either.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

#17  Edited By knighthood

Incest and Zeus a problem? Aren't Zeus and Hera children of Cronos and Rhea? Sounds like there is some "brotherly love" happening too.

Of course the Amazons breeding ritual was explain in a later comic, that kinda kills the lesbian idea for me.

Placing Diana into such a family will give the writer tons of interesting angles and characters to use. I'm most interested in how Lennox, Zola and her child are being developed by Azz.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SandMan_

That pic always reminds me of this one.

No Caption Provided
    UsagiTsukino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By UsagiTsukino

The Amazons having sex with men doesn't mean much. The Amazon are just using men to have kids. I dislike that I mean Amazons in Wonder Woman at e peaceful. They werent meant to follow the Greek roots of the Amazons. Their society was sole based on not need men. I mean the Amazons are peaceful not cruel and mean accept in war. I mean they come from magic they could have cook out potion that can get you pregnant. I don't want the Amazon following their orginal roots, they were fine the way they were. Also some Amazons are in lesbian relationship some aren't. I mean with island with only women so would maybe be in relationships

UsagiTsukino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By UsagiTsukino

Wonder woman amazonian heritage should be taking into account. She will not beg and doesn't need the accept of Zeus she wonder Woman dammit. She is suppose not need any man approve. Yes she is now Zeus father now but she shouldn't go mean any less of her Amazonian heritage. She will not beg. She it'snt the type of person. What wrong with the wonder woman made out of clay. We already had a demigod the second wonder girl. It sets her part. I wish they didn't change he orgin it makes it unique. Enough is unique about her being a demigod. There are far to many demigods . I hope they go Back to the orginal orgin. For the most part the story is interesting but at what cost are you destroying the character. She was fine the way she was. You can't please everyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.