Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Her New 52 Reboot is a bad fan fiction

• 62 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I been trying to touch my finger on whats wrong with the New 52 interpretation of Wonder Woman. I think might have found the problem. Someone clearly didn't like the direction she was going in and decided to modify most of her history with the reboot. Did it benefit her? Most fans would disagree. Her new history seems more like a fan fiction or else world background than something you would see in canon. The reboot has gain new fans while also unsatisfying long-term fans. Here are some important questions: What can a creative team do to balance out Wonder Woman's old aspects and new aspects? How can they satisfy the majority of Wonder Woman's fanbase?

bakera8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IHer new history seems more like a fan fiction or else world background than something you would see in canon.

Its not fan fiction, it approved by DC. This is the new Canon.

The reboot has gain new fans while also unsatisfying long-term fans. Here are some important questions: What can a creative team do to balance out Wonder Woman's old aspects and new aspects? How can they satisfy the majority of Wonder Woman's fanbase?

I like where they have gone. However I am not a WW fan, and only follow along with her in the JL book. Maybe soon die hard fans woul care more, but from what I have heard it seems like they have done a lot to improve WW.

I also prefer her new origin story.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to remove the bad fan fiction and rediscover WW. There is no WW without her true (and widely superior) origin, personality, cast, mission, spirit...

"Approved by DC" makes this travesty just sad, not canon. New52 isn't salvageable, only rebootable. It's broken at its core.

If someone is not interest in a character without changing it, then he has no business at all around that character.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bakera8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:

"Approved by DC" makes this travesty just sad, not canon. New52 isn't salvageable, only rebootable. It's broken at its core.

How is it not Canon? This is a DC book. Written by authors hired by DC to sell. Any stories they create are part of the mythos.

New 52 is doing fine in my opinion. There have been good stories and bad. I don't think its the New 52 universe that is the problem, but the lack of good writers on key books.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like her new Godly roots and power set. I think that there are some aspects that can be explored more deeply as far as her attributes and accessories like the lasso and battle attire to further enrich the character. I also feel that characters like Steve Trevor and Etta Candy should not be stuck in the periphery of her world but grounded supporting cast members, tethering and anchoring her to "Man's World".

I would really like to peal away her Zena Warrior Princess persona, but the nature of her heritage does present a problem with the older theme of fighting for peace, a premise swimming in oxymoron.

Does it feel like Fan Fiction . . . . I see where that statement is coming from and I try to keep in mind that the Powers that be want to increase the sales figured of title and will try new ways to achieve that, to make Wonder Woman more appealing.

I don't think she needs a reboot, there are always creative ways to work everything out that will tie everything together and give Wonder Woman the characterization that she deserves, give the fans what they desire from the title, and attract new readers to attain higher earnings.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SCORPIO_CASSADINE

The New 52 version sucks. Like Hawk80 said, you don't put a writer that dislikes a character in charge of their reboot. That strategy is flawed from it's inception. They could improve her by elaborating on her history in the new continuity and expanding and explaining her role and powers as God of War, but DC seems too lazy to do that. They'd rather have her swimming in the toxic soup of inexperience and bad writing that's the recipe of Finch's run. If they don't care, why should we?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ Bingo

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bakera8 said:
    @somayareece said:

IHer new history seems more like a fan fiction or else world background than something you would see in canon.

Its not fan fiction, it approved by DC. This is the new Canon.

Somaya is talking that the quality of the new WW story is poor like fanfictions and/or have similarities like fanfictions cliches, that comment is not questioning if it is canon or not

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're gonna need to be more specific people.

What part of her story sounds like fanfiction to you and why?

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the hell, fan fiction? As opposed to her nonfictional biography? What's that even supposed to mean? Only writers that want to write Wonder Woman stories (in other words, fans of Wonder Woman) write Wonder Woman stories. It's ALL fan fiction.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll probably retcon the character soon to match the upcoming Wonder Woman movie and there's pretty good reason to believe Snyder and Capullo will be the ones doing it, we're waiting for Capullo to wrap up the tv pitch he's working on with Mark Millar.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Everything after the original creator is fanfiction.

BB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The story azzarello told was good IMO and the first born was an excellent addition but as I've said before the entire reworking of the Amazon's and Diana's origin was deplorable and ultimately an attempt to give her the stereotypical tragic backstory because everyone thibks heroes need some batmanification or something instead of just making new characters

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By SaintWildcard

No

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: Azzarello is a WW fan, he just didn't care for her until he started writing her. Nice try though trying to disregard his work. Would definitely work on a forum with people of outdated mindset who always think they make up for the majority of the fanbase.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathfalcon182 said:

@agent41: Azzarello is a WW fan, he just didn't care for her until he started writing her. Nice try though trying to disregard his work. Would definitely work on a forum with people of outdated mindset who always think they make up for the majority of the fanbase.

No he's not. He wrote her until he liked her, after ditching most of the things that made her Wonder Woman along the way and turning her into his own creation. That's not the same thing as appreciating a character initially and wanting to do what's best for them. He executed his vision with no regard for what makes her fans like her and he did his best to disrespect those fans while doing it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathfalcon182: if you weren't a fan of her until you changed core parts of her mythos that says alot

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Saren

There are 35 consecutive readable issues of Wonder Woman plus a #0 issue, Secret Origins issue and Villains Month one-shot in the New 52. That is a monumental achievement in the character's history.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
    deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathfalcon182 said:

No he's not. He wrote her until he liked her, after ditching most of the things that made her Wonder Woman along the way and turning her into his own creation. That's not the same thing as appreciating a character initially and wanting to do what's best for them. He executed his vision with no regard for what makes her fans like her and he did his best to disrespect those fans while doing it.

QFT.

If he's only a fan once he's changed the whole character, then he doesn't count as a fan. He is a fan of his own creation, not Wonder Woman. This being said by someone who doesn't dislike the Azzarello run the way many on here do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Sir, I could care less about what she achieved. That is so momumental for a DC character. I am referring to her poor quality stories and character development in the New 52.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathfalcon182 said:

Yeah saying something does not make it so. Her character was never touched, her characterization is pretty consistent compared to pre new 52 self. Did he have a few missteps? Sure. Was his take on the characters' mythos different than previous ones? Absolutely. Does not make ones work "fan fiction" or "garbage" or anything you guys claim. Furthermore his run received critical claim and the new and old fans loved it alike. Step out of this forums to some larger communities on internet and you'll see. You guys here can think whatever you want, mentality of vocal minority =/= actual truth. In the end everyone is entitled to their opinion however right or wrong they are.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Sir, I could care less about what she achieved. That is so momumental for a DC character. I am referring to her poor quality stories and character development in the New 52.

No actually what you're referring to is the inner hatred you have built up for everything that DC does regarding the character. You'll dismiss work of any creator as long as it has new 52 label on it, you'll dismiss Earth One which is as close to the Marston's original intent as it'll ever get because you hate Morrison and quick to dismiss his work too. Ah what was it? Yes, "DC needs to put sex scenes in WW:E1 otherwise virgin men won't buy it and it'll tank." That was seriously the biggest lmfao moment I had on this board, thanks. Let's see you also hate the idea if Gadot being WW, expected at this point. Seriously this amount of salt can not be healthy for you. Advice would be let the hated go but if you can't, it's understandable. Fictional characters are very serious thing of course.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe if writers weren't so arrogant as to think they can fix a character with little regard to the characters history then shed have gotten 35 consecutive issues worth of readable material much sooner.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathfalcon182: Anything else you want to tell me? Your post almost put me to sleep. I'm not going to address any of the points you made because it is nonsense.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece: Sure, I must be seeing things, my bad. It's not like there was a thread titled "Should there be sex scenes in WW : E1" or anything like that. Sorry for almost putting you to sleep with something I wrote on an internet board because that's entirely possible. I'll try to be more careful next time.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

How can they satisfy the majority of Wonder Woman's fanbase?

I think peace in the middle east can be achieved before that ever happens.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: Elaborate how her character is different from her pre new 52 self. I'm strictly talking Azz here. As for the characterization being different in all the new 52 books, Johns didn't know how to write her until Forever Evil and I didn't pay much attention to Soule's work. Again when you're talking about "facts", start presenting them instead of claiming stuff.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@deathfalcon182: You know very well her origin changed,amazons changed,her powers changed, they went from being the blessings from goddesses to the result of an affair with zeus(a la hercules)and the God Of War. Her mission as ambassador is also gone, part of her classic supporting cast, her classic villans have no appearances in her solo book,etc.

Firstly he was talking about the characterization not the changes to origin and the likes. Her powers did not change anything drastically that is you just being picky. And as much as I love Diana her "classic" supporting cast and villains wasen't much to start with.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: how does that translate to not a consistent characterization? It's the same as it was in Rucka's WW. It's like saying Morrison wrote a Batman that fights gods, solves cosmic mysteries, fights crime on global level and Snyder writes more Gotham centric Batman with grounded villains with dark humor and somehow they are completely different in characterization.

OOCMikey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

There are 35 consecutive readable issues of Wonder Woman plus a #0 issue, Secret Origins issue and Villains Month one-shot in the New 52. That is a monumental achievement in the character's history.

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swear like over half of the threads in the WW forum are full of complaints and whining. I'm actually amazed when I see a positive thread in this section.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swear like over half of the threads in the WW forum are full of complaints and whining. I'm actually amazed when I see a positive thread in this section.

When WW will be back, positive threads will be back too.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@hawk80 said:
    @kazuma_bushi said:

No they wont, because other people will just show up and complain... or maybe it's just same people.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:
    @kazuma_bushi said:

No they wont, because other people will just show up and complain... or maybe it's just same people.

A complaining bunch of azzarellites and new52ers is a really small price to pay. You would be surprised by the amount of hate you would remove by scrapping the bad fan-fiction that passes for WW these days...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:
    @outside_85 said:
    @hawk80 said:
    @kazuma_bushi said:

A complaining bunch of azzarellites and new52ers is a really small price to pay. You would be surprised by the amount of hate you would remove by scrapping the bad fan-fiction that passes for WW these days...

Considering the people who liked Azzarello's run weren't the ones whining for 3,5 years, scrapping the current status wont change anything... especially not since the people who didn't like that run were the same people who complained under Simone, complained under JMS and is still complaining under Finch.

And if this is what passes as bad fanfiction, I'd love to read good fan fiction, because that must be tremendous.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:

@hawk80 said:
    @outside_85 said:
    @hawk80 said:
    @kazuma_bushi said:

Considering the people who liked Azzarello's run weren't the ones whining for 3,5 years, scrapping the current status wont change anything... especially not since the people who didn't like that run were the same people who complained under Simone, complained under JMS and is still complaining under Finch.

And if this is what passes as bad fanfiction, I'd love to read good fan fiction, because that must be tremendous.

You have the right to have an opinion. Even this one, apparently...

They complained because azzarello ruined WW and will complain until his garbage will go away forever. Give back WW to the fans and fans will stop complaining. Is simple as that.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:

You have the right to have an opinion. Even this one, apparently...

They complained because azzarello ruined WW and will complain until his garbage will go away forever. Give back WW to the fans and fans will stop complaining. Is simple as that.

Do be mad at me for simply telling you what it was like.

And then they will find something else to complain about because they have no idea what they actually want, other than something to complain about.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.