Help Understanding WW

#1 Posted by Mayo88m (246 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey everyone. I've been hearing great things about the New 52 version of Wonder Woman, and have been interested in picking up the comic. However, I admittedly have very little to no prior knowledge of her other than the basics (lasso, bracelets, lolinvisible jetlol). Also, the art of the comic really isn't my style, but I do see a lot of people seem to love it. The art alone isn't a turn off as long as it's a good story though. So basically, I was just wondering if someone could answer a few questions about her Such as:

Who are her main villains?

Does she have an 'Arch-Nemesis'?

Her origins are steeped heavily in Greek Myth, do her stories tend to follow these strictly, or does she do a lot of modern day type things also?

Does she tend to operate more inside Themyscria, or on Earth in the comics?

Why do you read her comics?

#2 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mayo88m: No more invisible jet 

No knowledge yet about her villains, though traditionally her arch enemy has been either Cheetah or Circe.   

She does a lot of modern day stuff 

More on Earth 

Because she is the most fascinating character
#3 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

isn't Ares considered another of her arch enemies? i mean not in the dcnu...in the old canon...

#4 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio
@cloudzackvincent: He was her enemy in about four story arcs in volume 2.  In volume 1 he hardly ever showed up, but he had the Duke of Deception that worked for him that was an adversary often enough I guess
#5 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: ok..i thot i saw him a lot....must hv been the animated movie knocking at the bck of my head

#6 Edited by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio
@cloudzackvincent: Could be, the only time I remember him specifically during the golden or silver age was when she was in her depowered mod girl phase
#7 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: ok....thnks fr all d WW enlightment ur blessin me with :)

#8 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio
@cloudzackvincent: If you want WW enlightenment then I am the person to talk to.  
#9 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: yea i noticed that

#10 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mayo88m: After the revamp, her origin is actually very simple, she is the female Hercules. The first arc involves the revelation that she is the daughter of Zeus, and that her old origin story--made from clay and blessed with life from the gods--was a lie to protect her from Hera. So far we've seen her battling fickle and violent gods of the greek pantheon. It's pretty awesome.

#11 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: except the art..lol....

#12 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg: I am not sure if they specifically said she did not have the blessings of the gods though.
#13 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent said:

@fodigg: except the art..lol....

I like the art overall. It's not the best I've ever seen but I'd never call it out as bad.

@RazzaTazz said:

@fodigg: I am not sure if they specifically said she did not have the blessings of the gods though.

Did they ever confirm she had it? I'm not sure and we shouldn't assume post-revamp.

#14 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg: My personal approach to the new 52 is that if they dont say otherwise it still happened.  How else to explain the green Lantern titles of the Legions titles?
#15 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: But that's problematic in other titles like Teen Titans. They can't list everything that didn't happen. Not enough space and they'd have to find things that contradict everything.

#16 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg: Agreed I still like to think that most of the stories are somewhat canon though, and I do like the Perez origin story
#17 Posted by Mayo88m (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: @cloudzackvincent: @fodigg: Wow, I kind of left this thread dangling, and didn't realize how much had been going on. Thanks so much for all of your input, and the conversation you've had on it. It's helped me a lot, and I've given the first three issues a try, and loved them. Even the art has grown on me some. I'll definitely keep pulling this book.

#18 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mayo88m: u r welcome, but i don't think i put in anything useful..lol

#19 Posted by Mayo88m (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent: You asked a question that gave me more information! That helped.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.