Has she ever actually lost?

#1 Posted by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio

Just thinking about it. Does she ever lose to anyone? She's fought kryptonians and flashes, etc., and always seems to have the upper hand. Does anyone who is not a god ever actually beat her?

#2 Posted by jdhaddad1973 (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: Doomsday more or less crushed her in their first N52 encounter ... and was looking to be winning in round two when they fought.

Genocide busted her up pretty bad Pre-N52, not sure if that counts since Genocide is technically Diana. Silver Swan (both versions) and the Cheetah have done some serious damage at various points as well. I'm sure there are a dozen other instances of her losing encounters.

#3 Edited by dshipp17 (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a very good observation, especially if you got into Wonder Woman by thinking that the Perez, Rucka, and Simone runs are the only runs there is to sample; if you want to see her challenged, see the Messner-Loebs, Eric Luke, and JMS/Hester runs; even in these runs, she ultimately gets the upper hand, but you might enjoy these runs.

#4 Posted by MaccyD (5110 posts) - - Show Bio

Has any major superhero ever completely lost?

#5 Edited by Muffin_Sangria (683 posts) - - Show Bio

Well with most hero vs hero fight they both land good blows but ultimately call a truce before either can officially win. If one does win it's normally only under a very specific set of circumstances. As far as I know when ever Wonder Woman has taken on other superheroes it had fallen under one of these categories.

In most fights against villains tge formula is morally that looks like they're going to win but in the end through cleverness, sheer force of willpower, or just luck the hero ends up coming out on top. Most of Wonder Woman's fights probably fit into these but there may be some out tgere where you could officially consider her to have lost.

#6 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by Pokeysteve (8658 posts) - - Show Bio

She did die and become a legit goddess that one time.

Other than that Genocide messed her up pretty bad. Devastation was tough too. Actually managed to shoot her. Cheetah gets good shots in and she barely beat early Ares. She was unconcious for a few days IIRC.

#8 Posted by Jayc1324 (13386 posts) - - Show Bio

First Born whopped her butt bad. Orions too. At the same time. So yes she loses, and she didn't actually beat zod and faora at the same time like a lot of people think.

#9 Posted by MaccyD (5110 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by DwightSpitz (567 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

Has any major superhero ever completely lost?

I guess Doomsday was a "stalemate" but yeah... Superman died.

#11 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: Bane beat batman

Zeus beat hulk

Silver surfer never beats galactus

Odin beats Thor

#12 Posted by MaccyD (5110 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: @dwightspitz: Both Superman and Batman returned back to form as if nothing happened. Has any superhero ever been irreparably beaten outside of alternate universes?

#13 Edited by Bronze_Surfer (2986 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: pre 52 barbra gordon? she was crippled permantly untill new 52

#14 Posted by Superguy1591 (3907 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Edited by MaccyD (5110 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Bronze_Surfer (2986 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: after time was altered. it is really an alternate reality in a way so pre 52, the original one was permantly beaten, the new 52 one, who is a new timeline is back as stupid as it is

#17 Posted by MaccyD (5110 posts) - - Show Bio

@bronze_surfer: The only one I could think of myself was the original Captain Marvel but I'm sure if he'd count as a major character or even as "losing".

#18 Edited by agent41 (4081 posts) - - Show Bio

@dshipp17 said:

That's a very good observation, especially if you got into Wonder Woman by thinking that the Perez, Rucka, and Simone runs are the only runs there is to sample; if you want to see her challenged, see the Messner-Loebs, Eric Luke, and JMS/Hester runs; even in these runs, she ultimately gets the upper hand, but you might enjoy these runs.

she has lost fights in the perez,simone and ruka runs.

#19 Edited by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: The others that I said and heroes that have been k.i.a.

#20 Posted by MaccyD (5110 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: Hulk, Thor, Batman and Silver Surfer haven't really been affected by those fights... Silver Surfer is free from Galactus now and Thor and Odin are allies.

#21 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: Hulk was being eaten alive everyday and held captive. Im pretty sure not all heroes have to be near dead to be affected

#22 Posted by bookwyrm12 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: Would you count Jason Todd? He may have come back but never as Robin again, not even really as a hero. I also hear Damian's kicked the bucket, but I haven't gotten round to reading/watching that yet and I don't know what's happening after.

Also had a look at a list of deceased Marvel/DC characters, there are definitely a lot but mostly unknowns, the only ones that really struck me personally were Star Sapphire and Hawkwoman (Shayera Thal) from DC and Ant-Man (Eric O'Grady), Professor X (lol apparently his spirit is seen in heaven), Spider-Woman, and in Ultimate Marvel everyone you've ever cared about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deceased_American_comic_book_characters#DC_Comics Sauce, and the top part basically says that this is a list of characters who, at the time of writing, were confirmed dead and could, but haven't, returned. There's another list further down the page with characters who've died but come back.

#23 Edited by The Stegman (25975 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Jeanette beat her in Secret Six?

#24 Edited by jdhaddad1973 (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: how about Ted Kord ... Shot in the head ... Stayed dead. Elongated Man and his wife? Jean Grey has been dead (this time) for a good long while. Barry Allen was dead for like 20 years ... I think that counts.

#25 Edited by dshipp17 (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

Didn't Jeanette beat her in Secret Six?

Yes, that was a good example; and I also meant to include the current Azz's run, among my list of Messner-Loebs, Eric Luke, and JMS/Hester.

#26 Posted by Outside_85 (10240 posts) - - Show Bio

She technically lost in the Heiketia since Diana's goal was to keep the girl (Danielle?) safe from Batman only to see her jump off a cliff at the end.

#27 Edited by DwightSpitz (567 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: none of those were alternate universes those losses are canon (at least pre-New 52, I don't really f**k wit New 52). Of course they came back otherwise there would be no Batman & Superman anymore? But I'm not so sure Batman just returned like nothing happened, Sups fixed Doomsday but died tryin (G-G-g-G-Unit) however with Bane Batman pretty much retired (temporarily) & Azrael/Jean-Paul had to come & save the day.

I realized I just killed those two arcs for people who haven't read them... My bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.