Has 52 made WW more relatable?

#1 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Chief compliant with WW in the past was that she was not a relatable character. I always thought it came down to writing as she should not be anymore unrelatable as any great mythic character. In myth, the gods are human(childish in ways, but acting on human trairs of jealousy, pride, love, etc.).

Has 52 WW resolved this complaint? Do women want to be this character?

#2 Posted by darkman61288 (722 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on which WW. WW in Justice League is written as a hothead. WW that appears in Superman acts like Superman's cheerleader. WW is her solo title is confident, intelligent and has good leadership traits. So for the Solo WW I would say yes. The others Noooooooooo.

#3 Edited by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Those who feel that Wonder Woman isn't relatable are either extremely close minded or haven't read any Wonder Woman material.

The n52 hasn't made her more or less relatable, she's as she has ever been, a great character with amazing untapped potential.

#4 Posted by Lvenger (18485 posts) - - Show Bio

Brace yourself. The anti Azzarello fans are coming. I should make a meme of that.

#5 Posted by TDK_1997 (14474 posts) - - Show Bio

Azzarello made her more of a calm and intelligent character.It can be said that she is relateable in her ongoing but Johns is making her more of an angry and furious woman,so he is not making her relateable.

#6 Edited by SNascimento (439 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know. All I know is that when I ask my friends to read WW I don't have to make any excuses for her, I just say: It's awesome, you should read it.

#7 Posted by PowerWoman (3339 posts) - - Show Bio

Waiting for time,bro

#8 Edited by The Stegman (23235 posts) - - Show Bio

She's a demi god that was raised on a mythical island by a group of immortal warrior women and often times fights mythical creatures, other gods, demons and witches she's not supposed to be relatable, that's like calling Thor relatable. However, if you mean personality wise, nah, she's more or less the same ol' Diana I know and love.

#9 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

she's still a DC character sooooo no

#10 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

She isn't any more or less relatable that Batman or Superman. She's been drowning in a social stigma that fueled by ignorance.

What I don't like, as of the Maxwell Lord Murder, is the continued over emphasis on her Warrior roots. I don't like that she's been leading with a sword in the n52 which seems to be counter to the theme of compassion and humanitarian cause.

#11 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks.

Wondering if young girls want to be the WW in this book or the image of WW from 70s tv and recent cartoons.

Or if people see conflicts she is resolving as relationship conflicts, larger than life but "hey, I had to get between two people and bring peace or a solution too."

That kinda relatable.

#12 Edited by Zeeguy91 (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

Azzarello made her more of a calm and intelligent character.It can be said that she is relateable in her ongoing but Johns is making her more of an angry and furious woman,so he is not making her relateable.

I actually disagree. I love Azzarello's take on Wonder Woman, but Johns' take isn't really that angry. She's a little more willing to fight for what she belives, but that doesn't equal anger. In fact, I think she's more of an idealist and optimist. I mean, who hasn't thought the same thoughts that Wonder Woman expressed in Justice League #19 where she tries to convince Superman to help the people of Qurac. I know I have.

#13 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (721 posts) - - Show Bio

No. That "relatability" crap was a crock cooked up be clueless fanboys as an excuse for why they didn't like Wonder Woman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.