Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Greg Rucka's Version of Amazons Attack

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wasn't a member of CBR prior to the reboot but I did frequent it to see threads and discussions. One of those was Rucka's proposed take on Amazons Attack. Here's what I remember from it; in this version, Diana would have been executed by the US for killing Max Lord which would have prompted the Amazons' invasion of Washington (as opposed to them being tricked into thinking Diana was being held prisoner and tortured for information). The battle would have lasted a day, probably less and the superheroes would have stayed out of it, supposedly having been angered by Diana's execution. The story would have ended with the Amazons having conquered all of America.

Now I will confess that I may be misremembering some or even most details. This info was lost after the CBR reboot and I haven't been able to find that information on Google either. If anyone can add more information to this please let me know. I'd also like to know what people would have thought about whatever it was Rucka had planned.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By dshipp17

This sounds like a good alternative. I think it was not accepted, because it required Diana to be executed. I think something just short of being sentenced to death and executed might have worked to get his idea through to DC; perhaps Diana could have endured prolonged torture and degradation or been sentenced to hard labor to somewhere like in Messner-Loebs' space pirate story arc; than the Amazons could have eventually rescued her after defeating the United States militarily. Diana could than emerge as a peace maker and problem solver.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I didn't like Amazons Attack.

Judging from what you said, it does sound like a good alternative.. though I just can't picture them conquering America.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Outside_85

@dshipp17 said:

This sounds like a good alternative. I think it was not accepted, because it required Diana to be executed.

I don't think killing Diana was on the table save for the very early drafts as one of the Infinite Crisis casualties.

If it was still an option at the later stage, I imagine the Amazons would have invaded the US to rescue Diana from being executed. The League would 'stay out' because they wanted Diana saved and disagreed with the ruling.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always felt that Amazon's Attack required the willful omission of a LOT of DC America's superhuman soldiers. Shaggy Man and Superman/Batman's semi Doomsday.

There would also be no way that they would handle the male supervillains with high level powers.

Waving the plot wand that Amazon tech is better than Brainiac and Apokolips tech may work for die hard WW fans, but not for people that do not treat continuity as a four letter word.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.