Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Grant Morrison Wants To Bring 'Wonder Woman' Back To Her Roots

• 86 results
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp: I know you're right about the boob scene, I guess it just didn't register as a big deal to me, I know it was pointless but so was the entirety of OMAC #1, Mr. Terrific's existence as a character and the Legion of Super-Heroes (and their lost counterpart) and I don't see people ranting about that. It's not sexist though. I refuse to live in a world where any man who worships the female figure (naked or otherwise) is condemned as sexist.

And yes, here's to hoping Morrison actually writes something he's promised to and it doesn't suffer delays only to turn out as generic crap (Joe the Barbarian #8).

LMAO. Never said it was sexist. I even said DC wasn't Sexist. It was just dissapointing to see DC on that level. OMAC was a good idea as a concept, so was Terrific and there a huge fanbase for LoS. And, Mr Terrific has potential, don't be a hater! :P

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By PowerHerc

Wonder Woman as a sexually active woman is a good idea as long as it's done respectfully.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost:His character just wasn't written properly, but he has potential. IMHO at the very least.

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp: also, I can assure you the fanbase for Catwoman's boobs is larger then the fanbase for Legion of Super-Heroes

LMAO. If you say so, but I really think you're wrong on this one.

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By Wattup

I like Wonder Woman.

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#57  Edited By Feliciano2040

I love Grant Morrison.

But I have no idea what the hell he is talking about in this article.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost:You cheat :P

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

I like Morrison (not in love with him as some people) and I'm sure this going to be a great story, but I don't think he's a guy that can revamp and redefine characters. All Star Superman was a great story, but it didn't help the "fix" the character. His new Action Comics series is great, but seeing as the Superman from the Superman comic is different and more mature it means that Superman probably isn't going too stay the way he is in Action Comics, basically making the changes pointless. The only character(s) that he "fix" were the X-Men, but even in that case the story wasn't his best and most of the things he has done has already been erased by Marvel.

TL;DR I'm sure this will be a great story, but I don't think it will be the story to "fix" Wonder Woman.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#61  Edited By Mercy_
    @aztek_the_lost I love LOSH.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Mercy_
    @aztek_the_lost

@The Dark Huntress said:

Don't interrupt when the men are talking, sweetheart.

I'm so sorry. Whatever was I thinking? Let me strip off all my clothes and skedaddle into the kitchen to make you a sammich.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By iLLituracy

He spoke about this in Supergods. 

Bringing Wonder Woman back to it's roots means fetishes and bondage. He said it.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    @aztek_the_lost

@The Dark Huntress said:

I'm so sorry. Whatever was I thinking? Let me strip off all my clothes and skedaddle into the kitchen to make you a sammich.
    I read this twice before I realized it was sarcasm.
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Frankly he's done a good job with Superman and Batman, I think its only fair if he has his chance to finish the Trinity and bring another character back to their base roots. I like his idea and applaud his enthusiasm. Go for it, Morrison!

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @aztek_the_lost
    I had a long argument about how I disagree with you set up... but the idea of a naked Amy Pond giving a sandwich blew it all away.
    Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#71  Edited By Jekylhyde14

I've been psyched about this for awhile now. Recently Morrison revealed in an interview that he was given a peek at this secret book Marston had written before his death that DC has locked away in their vaults. Apparently DC has it locked up because, in Grant's words, it's pretty "deranged." Marston goes on and on about his social-sexual theories which had a lot to do with how he wrote the Wonder Woman comic. I found all this out on Bleeding Cool: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/13/grant-morrisons-wonder-woman-series-planned-for-2012-or-thereabouts/

From what I understand about Marston, he was a feminist thinker who was WAAAAAAY ahead of his time. He believed that society was cruel and violent because the male notion of freedom was competitive and anarchic. He thought that the world would be much better if it gave in to the total, loving authority of women who would be in complete control but would be kind and benevolent in their rule. Obviously, Marston had a high opinion of the character of women. This all fed into his love of bondage. He believed that people would accept a female dictatorship a lot easier if they understood that good things can come from submission. So if you could convince people that an enjoyable, erotic experience could come from being completely bound up and submitting to someone else's whims then you could eventually come to terms with a society completely controlled by women. Marston was an interesting man to say the least. If this is what Morrison is basing his Wonder Woman run off of, then it could be one of the most intriguing runs on Wonder Woman ever.

For those of you worried about whether this will effect Azzarello's run or not, I wouldn't worry too much. The last I heard, DC was so nervous about Grant's Wonder Woman that they were seriously considering making it an out of continuity story like All-Star Superman. Sexuality tends to make companies anxious.

Bat_Mite51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By Bat_Mite51

Anybody else think it would be interesting to see this drawn by Frank Quitely? 

They did All-Star Superman and some of Batman and Robin together. I think it would fit to do it again with Wonder Woman.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#73  Edited By MrDirector786

Sounds good to me.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By doordoor123

@ManlyScream said:

Okay, but would that be at the end of Azzarello's run? Is this a side story and if so, how will it alter the continuity that is being established right now by the character in the new 52?

It's a great idea that, i believe, has made other female characters more enjoyable than they would have otherwise (batwoman)

Very commendable doing so much research...wonder how many other writers are doing the same...but that's just part of Morrison greatness.

It would be a side story most likely. Morrison has apparently been working on this since the end of 52. And we know how he loves to do out of continuity kind of stories.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

Always glad to hear about something new from Grant. Is it okay to assume that this is a mini series and not the actual series?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I trust Morrison to deliver relevant Feminist themes in a WW story without devolving into Misandrist BS. So here's hoping this is good (crosses fingers)

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By entropy_aegis

@jsphsmth said:

@aztek_the_lost: Not how I read it. Along with the comic industry in general, he also had an issue with Meltzer's Identity Crisis in addition to the writers you mentioned.

If it gets in the way of his stories, he is willing to undo other storylines; Countdown was sacrificed for his Final Crisis.

The idea for Final Crisis came years before Countdown,does Seven Soldiers ring a bell? and what are you complaining about anyway?Countdown was one of the worst comics ever,it was only published because Didiot wanted to cash in on the success of 52 and it contradicted it's own tieinn(The Death of the New Gods).

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @The Dark Huntress:  

@aztek_the_lost

@The Dark Huntress said:

@aztek_the_lost I love LOSH.

I'm so sorry. Whatever was I thinking? Let me strip off all my clothes and skedaddle into the kitchen to make you a sammich

wait..there are sammiches involved??...can i get in on this??
    Utandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Utandi

Sounds very interesting. I'm looking forward to it...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#80  Edited By Lvenger

Wow this sounds like Morrison working his magic again on another DC legend. I'd forgotten about the original WW and if there's anyone who can write this then I would have immediately said GM. Here's to hoping Morrison finds the time to do this!

Sekele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#81  Edited By Sekele

Well, seeing as the early William Marston run was the only take on Wonder Woman I ever liked (at least until Azzarello came around), this does seem like a good idea

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

#82  Edited By xkoenig

Morrison makes a really interesting point, and I'm curious to see what he manages to write. I'm also wondering if this will be old DC WW or DCnU WW?

arcadias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By arcadias

I'm all for this. It's not going to be easy but I'm pretty sure Morrison can pull it off.

The problem with sexuality, not just in comics but also in media in general, is that there is a fair amount of double standards. Men can be strong pinnacles of masculinity and that is typically an attractive attribute in the eyes of a woman. For the man it's win/win situation. Women often don't share the luxury. Strength and sexuality are typically seen as mutually exclusive attributes for them. That might be because some men are afraid of powerful women, which sucks, obviously.

I guess Wonder Woman is kind of the polar opposite of how Power Girl was before her pre-New52 series, back when she was just a pair of boobs. I'd really like to see WW embrace her sexuality more and join PG and Batwoman as a strong, attractive woman who's not totally ignorant to it.

tl;dr: This is a good thing. :)

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Or35ti

I always felt bad for Wonder Woman. She's supposed to be one of the Big 3 but she is no where near as developed as Batman and Superman. Both Batman and Superman even have All-Star titles and a supporting family with their own series' as well but she does not. but Things can change :)

Casshern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Casshern

It will only happen in its own universe...BUT I'll still read it and buy it.

Morrison's right! You can be sexually active and still be a feminist. Hell Women of the Island are (randomly) getting involved with men...but not Wonder Woman successfully.

I know a Feminist! (she calls herself one) She complains about the laziest of Most men and how people like to talk down to her, because she verbally (sometimes I've told her) Rudely says directly what's on her mind. She says saying less is a form of female suppression.

BUT SHE PICKED A MAN TO BE HER BOYFRIEND and Married!! Of course she doesn't really care for the guy and the guy just wants company...and for a Feminist SO DOES SHE...What, Plus the guy is lazy and she does everything.

Wonder Woman has a family...that she doesn't spent much time with, but she has a family in the JLA & JSA. Connection with groups of people seems to keep a feminist single.

But a woman can be sexual, smart and independent. Why can't wonder woman be. Plenty of characters have relationship or try and still maintain their strength of character, while together and when it falls apart.

This is not to say you have to have someone...but why right successful relationships for a character in else-world stories and not in the real story line.

kaamuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By kaamuz

i'm curious :')

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#87  Edited By Pokeysteve

Please don't let this be in continuity. Wonder Wonder woman isn't a feminist. She stands for women's rights which is completely different.

I hear Perez is free. Let him write another 50+ issues again =D

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

@Pokeysteve said:

Please don't let this be in continuity. Wonder Wonder woman isn't a feminist. She stands for women's rights which is completely different.

No, it absolutely isn't.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#89  Edited By Hawkeye446

PLEASE! This would be awesome! I would definitely buy/read it. But, isn't Azzarello doing Wonder Woman at the moment?

Skywryter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Skywryter

I think it is an interesting concept, but I worry just like the rest of the "new 52" what is the endgame? where are they going? Too many times we have read characters in transition to something else and was unstatisfied with the result, I agree there needs to be an element of sexuality,but at what cost? I just hope they some type of consistency with the character to maintain believability.

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By super_psycho

@Pokeysteve said:

QFT

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#92  Edited By Billy Batson

meh
    only Azzarello made me interested in Wonder Woman. Better not ruin his run on WW.
    BB

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

@super_psycho said:

@Pokeysteve said:

QFT

Definition of FEMINISM

1: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes

2: organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests

Guess again. And is there any specific reason why you have a problem with defining Wonder Woman as a feminist figure? Do you think it's some sort of insult?

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By TheMess1428

Ever since Morrison did JLA and X-Men, I could read anything he writes and like it no matter what. Final Crisis was epic except for that ending. Only thing I didn't like from him.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Eyz

Can't we go back to follow the stories already written by George Perez, John Byrne, Greck Rucka and Gail Simone? She's got enough reboots as of late!....

waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By waruikumo

@Pokeysteve:

Sometimes you miss the mark sometimes you miss the planet.

Does feminism scare you?

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#97  Edited By Pokeysteve

@RockyRaccoon37 said:

@super_psycho said:

@Pokeysteve said:

QFT

Definition of FEMINISM

Guess again. And is there any specific reason why you have a problem with defining Wonder Woman as a feminist figure? Do you think it's some sort of insult?

I wasn't talking about the definition. Feminists are regularly portrayed as man haters. Taking their cause the the extreme. Obviously they aren't all like that but it's what I think of. You'll never see a male feminist but men who are for women rights aren't uncommon. I'm sorry. I should have elaborated in my first post.

@waruikumo said:

@Pokeysteve:

Sometimes you miss the mark sometimes you miss the planet.

Does feminism scare you?

And sometimes you contribute nothing to a topic.

No, they don't scare me. Like I said up there ^^ I should have been clearer. I'm all for women's rights but a lot of feminists take it too far.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#98  Edited By No_Name_

@RockyRaccoon37 said:

@super_psycho said:

@Pokeysteve said:

QFT

Definition of FEMINISM

^^ :)

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#99  Edited By fodigg

@Pokeysteve said:

You'll never see a male feminist but men who are for women rights aren't uncommon.

There are lots of male feminists. I am a man who identifies himself as a feminist. Some others:

Feminism is about equality of the sexes, not exclusively female concerns or for promoting female concerns over male concerns. It is NOT female chauvinism. If you're a man who is for equal rights and ending sexism against women then you are a feminist. Feminist is not a dirty word.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#100  Edited By cosmo111687

@fodigg said:

@Pokeysteve said:

You'll never see a male feminist but men who are for women rights aren't uncommon.

There are lots of male feminists. I am a man who identifies himself as a feminist. Some others:

Feminism is about equality of the sexes, not exclusively female concerns or for promoting female concerns over male concerns. It is NOT female chauvinism. If you're a man who is for equal rights and ending sexism against women then you are a feminist. Feminist is not a dirty word.

Same.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.